Re-Taking Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick background on me: My cGPA is a 2.8. My sciGPA is a 3.5. I have a strong upward trend, and a 3.5 over my last 60 hours.

I graduated in 2007. Since graduation, I've founded a successful internet start-up and have been running this business full-time. My dream has always been medicine, so I am committed to going back and finishing up my pre-reqs.

Question: I know DO schools do grade replacement. Since I screwed around in my first two years, there are plenty of low level classes I could improve upon, i.e Health 101. I could easily replace this C with an A and it would obviously improve my GPA. Would this make any difference or would it be considered a waste since it's so low level?

Additionally, I have 6 pre-reqs to finish and if I maintain a 3.5 across those, will lift my cGPA to a 3.0 on the dot. Given my sciGPA, non-trad status and background, do you think I should consider making up classes or will a strong MCAT and everything else get me in?

Advice? Thanks guys (and girls).

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like science is really your best core subject matter. Maybe you should take more science classes, untill you get an average G.P.A. I've even heard that some people get a master's degree to raise their G.P.A. But they're are looking at your core G.P.A too, so more free electives, or take the MCAT again. But I would suggest waiting on more opinions on this.

Having been in a similar situation, I prioritized my retakes. Pre-reqs first, and then retook as many non-vital classes as I could afford (starting with the lowest grades). I also took some random non-science courses that interested me. This will depend on your financial resources, work hours, and when you want to apply. Generally, I think it is unwise to put off applying for a cycle or spending a lot of resources just to push up cGPA IF it's above a 3.0.

Keep in mind that you might want to push cGPA above just a straight 3.0 though...some schools cut off at 3.0 and the absolute low end is not a good place to be. Also it wouldn't be ideal if AACOMAS gets a little wonky and you end up with .01 lower than you calculated.

But absolutely rock the MCAT...that goes without saying :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Having been in a similar situation, I prioritized my retakes. Pre-reqs first, and then retook as many non-vital classes as I could afford (starting with the lowest grades). I also took some random non-science courses that interested me. This will depend on your financial resources, work hours, and when you want to apply. Generally, I think it is unwise to put off applying for a cycle or spending a lot of resources just to push up cGPA IF it's above a 3.0.

Keep in mind that you might want to push cGPA above just a straight 3.0 though...some schools cut off at 3.0 and the absolute low end is not a good place to be. Also it wouldn't be ideal if AACOMAS gets a little wonky and you end up with .01 lower than you calculated.

But absolutely rock the MCAT...that goes without saying :D

Thanks for the reply.

So if I understand what you guys are saying correctly...complete my pre-reqs (obviously) which will bring me to a cGPA of 3.0 and a sciGPA of 3.5. Then maybe tack on another class or two (doesn't matter if it's super low level?) that I did poorly in, which should bump me up to a 3.1/3.2?

I'd be applying with a 3.1ish cumulative/3.5 science...seems like I should get in somewhere as long as I do pretty well on the MCAT, no?

Yeah, I'll echo timmaycakes here. First and foremost, do well on the MCAT. The closer to 30 (or more) the better. That way the GPA plan will work.
Then, take your remaining science classes and do well like you're planning. You have 6 left, right? I don't know how many semesters you were planning on taking to do them, but either way, retake classes you did the worst in concurrently with your pre-req sciences. This way you don't take any extra time to finish school, but you also retake some classes. That's what I did since my last few semesters I only really needed one or two specific classes each semester so I filled up the rest of my credits to full-time with some retakes etc

Yeah, I'll echo timmaycakes here. First and foremost, do well on the MCAT. The closer to 30 (or more) the better. That way the GPA plan will work.
Then, take your remaining science classes and do well like you're planning. You have 6 left, right? I don't know how many semesters you were planning on taking to do them, but either way, retake classes you did the worst in concurrently with your pre-req sciences. This way you don't take any extra time to finish school, but you also retake some classes. That's what I did since my last few semesters I only really needed one or two specific classes each semester so I filled up the rest of my credits to full-time with some retakes etc

I suppose the main thing I'm wondering, is does it make sense to re-take low level classes? Most of my F-ups were during my fresh/soph years. My upper level classes were all A's and B's, with the exception of a couple C's, which I plan to retake.

Like the example in my post above...I believe I got a D or C in health 101. I would obviously ace this today. Would turning that D or a C into an A matter much to the adcom, since it's so low level? Or are they just looking at my reported GPA, regardless of which classes I re-took to get it where it is.

I suppose the main thing I'm wondering, is does it make sense to re-take low level classes? Most of my F-ups were during my fresh/soph years. My upper level classes were all A's and B's, with the exception of a couple C's, which I plan to retake.

Like the example in my post above...I believe I got a D or C in health 101. I would obviously ace this today. Would turning that D or a C into an A matter much to the adcom, since it's so low level? Or are they just looking at my reported GPA, regardless of which classes I re-took to get it where it is.

They mostly look at GPA. I never once got asked why I took public speaking twice (c- first time) or why I took yoga three times (just enjoyed the class). In fact, I didn't get many academic type questions and they were usually pretty brief (how did you fail gen chem 1 then get a 30 on the MCAT?).
Retaking those earlier classes will bump your GPA more than if you retook a new class of equal credits and got an A.