Advice on strengthening re-app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

standuser

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place to post, but just lmk!

I applied to 20 MD schools this 2022-2023 cycle, and am currently waitlisted at a couple schools. While I'm stuck in WL purgatory I thought I'd start preparing to re-apply for the 2024-2025 cycle. How can I strengthen my app? I'm thinking about doing a post-bacc/masters to raise my GPA and potentially retake my MCAT but wanted to know what y'all thought.

State: TX
Demographics: ORM/Asian
GPA: 3.6 / sGPA: 3.4
Major/School: biochem at a T20
MCAT: 507, 512
ECs:

Clinical:
84 hrs shadowing across 2-3 specialties
240 hrs hospital volunteering
3000+ hrs scribing

Non-clinical:
186 hrs miscellaneous volunteering at fundraisers, etc
250 hrs Red Cross volunteer
220 hrs church volunteering

Research:
1000+ hrs across 2-3 labs, no publications

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to DO schools? You are fine for those schools. The problem with retaking the MCAT is that many schools average multiple scores. So unless you can shoot up in your score it might not be worth while.
Could you be more specific in your nonclinical activities? It’s hard to see if you had direct service to the unserved/underserved in your community.
Could you also let us know where you applied and the outcomes of any interviews.? I assume you applied mainly to Texas schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply to DO schools? You are fine for those schools. The problem with retaking the MCAT is that many schools average multiple scores. So unless you can shoot up in your score it might not be worth while.
Could you be more specific in your nonclinical activities? It’s hard to see if you had direct service to the unserved/underserved in your community.
Could you also let us know where you applied and the outcomes of any interviews.? I assume you applied mainly to Texas schools.

hi!! I only applied MD this time and yeah, I applied to all the Texas schools and a couple in Louisiana because my family wanted me to stay closer to home. I got interviews at UTMB and RGV, and am currently waitlisted at both. I didn't know some schools did that for MCAT, so thanks for letting me know!

For my nonclinical activities, I was a virtual Red Cross volunteer during the pandemic and basically logged calls for regional home fires and redirected people to resources. I also planned several fundraisers for Covid-19 / cancer research through some undergrad clubs, worked with an org that packaged medical supplies that would be shipped to health care organizations in 3rd world countries, and was a children's teacher at my local church.

Do you think a DIY post-bacc and/or a publication would significantly raise my chances if I were to re-apply? Feel free to be super brutally honest, I'm open to any/all criticism.

Members don't see this ad :)
This could be moved to WAMC Med.

When did you take the two MCAT Exams? Subscores? School list, interviews, decisions? You applied to TMDSAS?

Specialities represented?

Specific nonclinical community service with hours? Leadership including on-campus?

I don't think it's too late to lose hope, but I presume Texas resident spots are locked up. Check with @wysdoc...

This could be moved to WAMC Med.

When did you take the two MCAT Exams? Subscores? School list, interviews, decisions? You applied to TMDSAS?

Specialities represented?

Specific nonclinical community service with hours? Leadership including on-campus?

I don't think it's too late to lose hope, but I presume Texas resident spots are locked up. Check with @wysdoc...
Our WL action is winding down but there might still be more offers through the rest of June.
I don't think retaking the MCAT again will be needed.

TMDSAS schools are pretty friendly to reapplicants, so if you don't get a WL offer I would advise applying again to the TMDSAS schools including the 2 DO schools, and applying on AACOMAS to 5 to 10 schools which are well established and fully accredited.

Reactions: 1 user