Questions for students of Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soon2BDrJones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Touro Nevada and have to decide within two weeks. My question is this, will there be any residencies available in Nevada when we graduate? Will the rotations be good in Las Vegas or will we have to leave the state to find decent clinical rotations? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The adcom says rotations are gonna be done in the surrounding hospitals in Las Vegas. They also guaranteed a residency spot if you do decide to stay in Las Vegas. They said that there will be enough spot there for everyone.... "We prefer you do your residency in Las Vegas" if i remember correctly what I was told. Basically you have to take their word for it. Are you willing to take and believe everything they say? It's up to you to decide. I'm kind of worried because I saw the facility and it's fairly small....they want to cram in DO's, PA's and (plans of Nursing program) Nursing students all in that small building?!?!! That's one thing that worries me about TUCOM-NV. They're so new, the vision is so high, but in reality, there is no gurantee that the things planned are going to be carried out.

Pmpndaflip is correct in that they want you to stay in Nevada after med school. Part of the reason why they built this campus was because Nevada is 47th in the nation for doc/patient ratio... the docs are leaving, but this small school hopes to turn the tables and feed off an emerging niche Nevada has to offer.

As for the size of the school... I think they have the potential in Henderson to build more space if they need it. It only took a few months to set up the facility they have now. On the down side of this is that what was built in a few months could fall just as fast.

Now for me, I would love to be part of this dream. Since they put me on the wait list my advice for soon2bdrjones is to follow the precautionary principle and do the safe thing... give your seat to me. ;)

- :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Soon2BDrJones said:
I have been accepted to Touro Nevada and have to decide within two weeks. My question is this, will there be any residencies available in Nevada when we graduate? Will the rotations be good in Las Vegas or will we have to leave the state to find decent clinical rotations? :confused:

In answer to your questions, we have a student named Jeff Tzeng who is doing his rotations here in Vegas anf he loves them. I have also talked with some of our profs who are local docs about your same concerns. They have all said that there are plenty of residencies and more are being added. This area wants us to be doctors and are doing all they can to make sure that happens. To quote "Vegas is going to provide many opportunities you might not have in other areas. I see many great things happening with this school and its students." I hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions just ask. :)

Dr.LVStripper said:
In answer to your questions, we have a student named Jeff Tzeng who is doing his rotations here in Vegas anf he loves them. I have also talked with some of our profs who are local docs about your same concerns. They have all said that there are plenty of residencies and more are being added. This area wants us to be doctors and are doing all they can to make sure that happens. To quote "Vegas is going to provide many opportunities you might not have in other areas. I see many great things happening with this school and its students." I hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions just ask. :)

Thanks for your reply that helped!!

DrB said:
Pmpndaflip is correct in that they want you to stay in Nevada after med school. Part of the reason why they built this campus was because Nevada is 47th in the nation for doc/patient ratio... the docs are leaving, but this small school hopes to turn the tables and feed off an emerging niche Nevada has to offer.

As for the size of the school... I think they have the potential in Henderson to build more space if they need it. It only took a few months to set up the facility they have now. On the down side of this is that what was built in a few months could fall just as fast.

Now for me, I would love to be part of this dream. Since they put me on the wait list my advice for soon2bdrjones is to follow the precautionary principle and do the safe thing... give your seat to me. ;)

- :luck:

That's pretty funny man, you'll get in somewhere. No worries!!! :)

Henderson is growing approx. 6000 people per month...there is tremendous need for physicians in the valley area (Henderson and Las Vegas). Our school does have big dreams, but with tremendous opportunity to matriculate those dreams. We are wanted by the hospitals and community...they are bending over-backwards for us to succeed and receive the training we need. Our Dean of Students used to be the VP for the Nevada medical school in Reno, and he has already paved the way with his networks by establishing allegiances with nearly all the hospitals in the area...where we can do rotations and residencies. There is no fear in my mind as a first year medical student that there will not be ample opportunity in the area.

As of this week the director of the Clark county Healthcare has begun, with our administrators, to establish a county wide preceptorships even before our third year rotations. As well our AMSA chapter has been extremely proactive in beginning the establishment of a mentorship program with UNLV and other community service programs.

There is more opportunity then we can deal with...thus, there is no limit on how deep and wide our vision can be...and no limit on our potential. Therefore, TUCOM-NV offers a great opportunity for someone who wants to step up and make a difference.

if you have any other questions please let me know...

Nate MS-1
[email protected]
TUCOM-NV class of 2008

Ubiquitous7 said:
Henderson is growing approx. 6000 people per month...there is tremendous need for physicians in the valley area (Henderson and Las Vegas). Our school does have big dreams, but with tremendous opportunity to matriculate those dreams. We are wanted by the hospitals and community...they are bending over-backwards for us to succeed and receive the training we need. Our Dean of Students used to be the VP for the Nevada medical school in Reno, and he has already paved the way with his networks by establishing allegiances with nearly all the hospitals in the area...where we can do rotations and residencies. There is no fear in my mind as a first year medical student that there will not be ample opportunity in the area.

As of this week the director of the Clark county Healthcare has begun, with our administrators, to establish a county wide preceptorships even before our third year rotations. As well our AMSA chapter has been extremely proactive in beginning the establishment of a mentorship program with UNLV and other community service programs.

There is more opportunity then we can deal with...thus, there is no limit on how deep and wide our vision can be...and no limit on our potential. Therefore, TUCOM-NV offers a great opportunity for someone who wants to step up and make a difference.

Nate MS-1
[email protected]
TUCOM-NV class of 2008

Thanks for posting this Nate. Everyone with any doubts about the availability of residency spots and rotation sites needed to hear that. There truelly is no limit to the possibilities of this school and the impact we could make. if you feel like you are person willing to step up to this wonderful opportunity, we would all love to hear from you.

Eric, OMS-1
TUNV inaugural class
[email protected]

To all potential applicants,
there have been some rumours started concerning my school that i feel need to be addressed and "obliterated". (we used this word a lot in our embryo lecture today) first is the statement that TUNV was accepting people with extremely low GPA and MCAt scores. after speaking with our dean of addmissions i am happy to report my findings. this statement is alltogether false. The current average stats for accepted students are MCAT of 23 and GPA of 3.0 science and 3.25 overall. as fewer and fewer spots remain unoccupied these stats will rise.
Concerning the statement of lack of residencies and rotation sites, i believe nate adequately ansered that question and helped subside some feelings of uneasyness.
So if you have any questions concerning TUNV, please ask myself, nate, or brian enriquez so we can give you real info and not let you be scared by stupid rumours and incorrect information.

Eric Eidson, OMS-1
TUNV

Hey Eric,

I was wondering if you have any info regarding the wait list? Any news? Will they tell us our placement on the list or do they take first come first served?

Thanks

-Ben

Ubiquitous7 said:
Therefore, TUCOM-NV offers a great opportunity for someone who wants to step up and make a difference.

Nate MS-1
[email protected]
TUCOM-NV class of 2008

For all those who want to attend TUCOM-NV...it's not a coincidence that this is Nate's closing sentence. ;)

DrB said:
Hey Eric,

I was wondering if you have any info regarding the wait list? Any news? Will they tell us our placement on the list or do they take first come first served?

Thanks

-Ben
DocB,

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that you are ranked some how and they will not tell you until all interviews are finished (they might tell you top ten or top third....or I don't know.... :( maybe bottom third, etc). Also, just a guess, but the majority of the people accepted from the waitlist will be accepted after interview process is complete. Good luck! :luck:

DrB said:
Hey Eric,

Thanks

-Ben

Hey Ben,
as far as i know they will not tell oyu much of anything about the waitlist, especially (like cardiotonic said) before interviews are over. i do know that two weeks after the final interviews they may begin to offer people on the waitlist spots in the '09 class as they become available. i am not sure if the waitlist is done by when you interviewed or if they rank the list after everyone has been interviewed. i will make it a point to ask roger corban how this is done and get back to you. if all else fails take some comfort in knowing that by being on the waitlist already means you may have a high chance of getting an early acceptance to class '10 for a "worst case scenario"". anyway i will find out what i can and get back to you. good luck in the meantime and e-mail me or post with any more questions.

eric eidson, OMS-1
TUNV '08
[email protected]

Ok... so keep your secrets. ;)

In these times of waiting this helps:

1832 Lost Job
1832 Defeated for Legislature
1833 Failed in Business
1834 Elected to Legislature
1835 Sweetheart Died
1836 Had a Nervous Breakdown
1838 Defeated for Speaker