Only accepted to Touro Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flatulence53

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I only have 1 acceptance to Touro Harlem. If it’s my only school I’m accepted to, I will definitely go. I guess my only concern is that I later discovered the multitude of negative comments on the school admin, campus, cost, etc. I know I’m probably a terrible person for this, but I am not happy about this acceptance at all. Can someone talk some sense into me?
 
What kind of comments? Every school has problems (especially about admins) and a lot of people who complain about everything, especially DO schools.
 
I’ve seen that the admin ridicules its students, are not receptive to feedback, graded preclinicals, additionally the COMLEX pass rate dropped to 79% this past year if I recall correctly. There are other concerns about safety but I knew that when I applied. You are probably right though, it might just be people complaining.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone talk some sense into me?

Snap Out Of It Wake Up GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time
 
I’ve seen that the admin ridicules its students, are not receptive to feedback,

That's pretty much every med school ever. Maybe not the ridicule part but I find that a little outlandish.

graded preclinicals,

That sucks but I don't think that's a good reason not to attend your only acceptance.

additionally the COMLEX pass rate dropped to 79% this past year if I recall correctly.

That's also bad but I think COMLEX (and STEP) passing rates are dropping across the board. Each student is their own person with their own abilities though. Who is to say you have to be one of those 21%?

There are other concerns about safety but I knew that when I applied. You are probably right though, it might just be people complaining.

Yeah Harlem is not the safest place but I think the danger of NYC is really blown out of proportion to what it actually is. No matter what school you go to you will find things that are bad and other things that are downright unacceptable. That is unavoidable really.
 
Last edited:
My biggest take for DO schools would be to look at their policy on remediation/failing a class. I've seen too many posts of people getting dismissed from DO schools for failing one course (usually an exam) which imo is a harsh sentence. I would choose a school that doesn't have a reputation of kicking students to the curb after one failure.
 
I guess my only thing is that I have relatively high stats for DO (4.00, 519) and decent ECs. My writing and interview skills probably held me back, and I feel disappointed in myself for not having done better
 
I guess my only thing is that I have relatively high stats for DO (4.00, 519) and decent ECs. My writing and interview skills probably held me back, and I feel disappointed in myself for not having done better

A bird in one hand is better than two in a bush

You'll be a doctor. Just goes to show stats aren't everything. You're clearly a great student, and it'll pay off once you're in med school
 
Did you apply late? If you decide to apply again to MD schools, do so more broadly and get help form a med school admission consultant to help you with writing and interview skills. It will cost you a little money. You have terrific stats and will more than likely succeed the next cycle. There are no guarantees you'll get in anywhere, but I believe a majority of people in your situation succeed the second time around, especially now that you have some experience and with professional help. Do what makes you happy. This is just my 2 cents. GL.