If I send in my AMCAS application next week will i still be applying early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koalabear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am still working on my AMCAS application - and am hoping to turn it in next week. Is that still applying early or am I behind?? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

koalabear said:
Hi everyone! I am still working on my AMCAS application - and am hoping to turn it in next week. Is that still applying early or am I behind?? Thanks

yes, early.

Yes you will still be ahead of the game. Late would be sending it in August or September or even October and beyond.

You are still way ahead of the game because you are ahead of August MCATers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks y'all. I always feel like I have no idea what I'm doing- so it's great to hear your advice. I appreciate it!

gujuDoc said:
Yes you will still be ahead of the game. Late would be sending it in August or September or even October and beyond.

You are still way ahead of the game because you are ahead of August MCATers.

I wouldn't say aug. and september are late.. especially for people taking the aug. MCAT. A little behind maybe, but not late.

If you have everything ready, then don't prolong any longer! I know I was nervous about clicking the submit button :laugh:

bloHaZaRd said:
I wouldn't say aug. and september are late.. especially for people taking the aug. MCAT. A little behind maybe, but not late.

If you have everything ready, then don't prolong any longer! I know I was nervous about clicking the submit button :laugh:

Not late with respect to October/November, etc. More like the in between of early and late, is what I'm trying to say.

Because August or September are when the first interviews start rolling in. I think September if I recall correctly, are when the first interviews started rolling in, but don't quote me on that one.

On a side note, isn't it weird how earlier in the application it takes them sometimes 4 weeks to tell you whether you got in after your interview, but if you interview around January, you sometimes find out sooner (like one week after the interview). This was the case at USF for my friends this year.

my boss (who used to be on the uci adcom) told me I was already too late and should have submitted june 1, that can't be true can it?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

angietron3000 said:
my boss (who used to be on the uci adcom) told me I was already too late and should have submitted june 1, that can't be true can it?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is not true at all. June 1st is the first day to send in the application. You are still ahead of the other people who will be taking the MCAT in August. Try to get it in by end of June and you'll still be in the earlier applicant pool.

angietron3000 said:

Hmmmm... if I had to weigh the of someone with known adcom experience against a bunch of anonymous pre-meds... yeah, I'd shop around for the answer I want too :smuggrin:

I think "too late" is really too definite, though. What are they gonna throw it in the trash? I'd say next week is still pretty early.

angietron3000 said:

My dumb advisor told me that too. I actually submitted in July and she told me to wait another as it was too late.. what a load of crap. I knew she was wrong, but still I didn't want unnecessary worries like that even if they were false.

And no, it's not late.. it's early! relax :)

My advisor has reassured me several times that the end of june is still early, if that helps. Don't worry about it, especially if you're using that time to make sure your application rocks.

gujuDoc said:
Not late with respect to October/November, etc. More like the in between of early and late, is what I'm trying to say.

Because August or September are when the first interviews start rolling in. I think September if I recall correctly, are when the first interviews started rolling in, but don't quote me on that one.

On a side note, isn't it weird how earlier in the application it takes them sometimes 4 weeks to tell you whether you got in after your interview, but if you interview around January, you sometimes find out sooner (like one week after the interview). This was the case at USF for my friends this year.

Just to add a note: AMCAS will not release information to med schools until July 6 this year. Most med schools begin interviewing in late September and will interview until sometime in March. USF usually interviews on Monday, the Admissions Committee will review the applicant file one week later on Tuesday evening. Applicants will be called the next morning between 9am-noon in most cases. There are exceptions when holidays may delay this decision for a week or maybe even two (Christmas/New Years holiday period).

REL said:
Just to add a note: AMCAS will not release information to med schools until July 6 this year. Most med schools begin interviewing in late September and will interview until sometime in March. USF usually interviews on Monday, the Admissions Committee will review the applicant file one week later on Tuesday evening. Applicants will be called the next morning between 9am-noon in most cases. There are exceptions when holidays may delay this decision for a week or maybe even two (Christmas/New Years holiday period).

Mr. Larkin,

Thanks for the info!!!!!! You're really helpful. I've heard so many stories from people in other states about admissions people not being really helpful to them. But you really do go out of your way to help the students, so I just wanted to say thank you for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
REL said:

Is this true for people who say they are applying EDP??????

MochaMD said:
Is this true for people who say they are applying EDP??????

Yes. EDP must submit to AMCAS NLT Aug 1 and have secondary completed by Aug 15 for USF. The committee will review all EDP apps Aug 23 and make invites to come to interview the following day. Interviews will be on the second Monday of September (12). The Admissions committee will meet on September 20 and you will know by noon on September 21 whether you were accepted ED.

REL said:

REL - Would you be able to link us to a document that corroborates your statement? Thanks!

angietron3000 said:

that is bunk. I just got off the phone with Gayle who is one of the heads of uci adcom, since i am waitlisted there and debating when to submit my 2006 in case i dont get pulled off a waitlist. From her mouth, she said that even july 15th would not be much of a disadvantage at all since most schools are still working to fill their fall classes from their waitlists and dont even really start looking at new applications for the following year until they are done with filling the upcoming class.

So our processed app is just sitting there??? I was under the impression that it was being sending out weekly.

This is from AMCAS:
Processed Applications (verified)
Processed applications represent the complete set of data an applicant has submitted to AMCAS. All sections of processed applications have completed AMCAS processing. All data in such applications are considered final unless changes are later sent to the schools. Processed Applications (verified) are transmitted electronically via the AMCAS Data Transmission Utility (DTU) to all designated medical schools on a weekly basis.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/schoolsend.htm

REL said:

DrHopeless said:
So our processed app is just sitting there??? I was under the impression that it was being sending out weekly.

This is from AMCAS:
Processed Applications (verified)
Processed applications represent the complete set of data an applicant has submitted to AMCAS. All sections of processed applications have completed AMCAS processing. All data in such applications are considered final unless changes are later sent to the schools. Processed Applications (verified) are transmitted electronically via the AMCAS Data Transmission Utility (DTU) to all designated medical schools on a weekly basis.

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/schoolsend.htm

Just to let you know, REL's information is accurate.

As REL is indeed part of an ADCOM FOR USF MED SCHOOL in TAMPA, FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!! I doubt an adcom member would give inaccurate information, but especially one as direct as Mr. Larkin has always been.

He is our admissions director here, and the one who does initial screenings as well as plays roles in interview days as well as med school forum information sessions.

I'm sure his info is accurate, because there was someone else earlier who posted that July 7th of the previous year was when it started to go through.

AMCAS applications actually take 4-6 weeks to process.

Saying its verified, may mean that they are verifying that they've received it, not that they processed it.

If you think about this logically, 4-6 weeks would mean that if you apply on June 1st, your application will be completely processed by the end of June to early or mid July.

So what he's saying does indeed make a lot of sense.

Gujudoc,

Thanks for the clarification on REL's credentials. REL, I didn't mean to come off as confrontational; I meant that more in a 'oh, that is fantastic and I'd like to see more about it' way than a 'I don't believe you, show me proof' way.

Drink Lord

Bear with me, please...I'm a bit surprised and confused. Does this mean that someone submitting their AMCAS next week gets their info to med schools at the same time a June 1st submitter does?

pancarre12 said:
Bear with me, please...I'm a bit surprised and confused. Does this mean that someone submitting their AMCAS next week gets their info to med schools at the same time a June 1st submitter does?

That's the exact same thing I'm wondering, too. Contrary to your sentiment, I'm hoping so :rolleyes:

If someone waits to submit on July 1st, then their application will still take the 4-6 weeks to be processed, so no, they would not get the same consideration as someone who submitted in June.

I am a re-applicant. Last year I submitted my AMCAS July 1st and it took 4 weeks to get processed. But it didnt matter for most schools because they send secondaries to everyone. So as soon as you designate that school on AMCAS they send you a secondary.

This year I submitted it June 8th and it was processed the 15th. As long as you get your stuff in before the July 4th weekend you should be good. If you submit after, then you are submitting during "peak" time and they take longer to process your app.

pancarre12 said:

I'm assuming with it taking 4-6 weeks processing the things, that would mean the first ones in the stacks are the first ones received and they will go from there.

So if you apply June 15th, I'm assuming they'll see your stuff 2 weeks after the people who sent it in June 1st. See where I'm going with this. If Mr. Larkin comes back on here, he may be able to clarify. Otherwise I can email him with this question if you would like me to do so.

I just wanted to add that you would still be early even if you get your secondaries two weeks after the person that hit submit on day 1 of amcas submission.

I am quite confused by all of your information... I submitted my app on Monday and on friday I recieved an email saying that my application had been processed and was complete... Further when I sign on to the amcas website and my application it says that my app has been made available electronically to my designated school... What is this about july 6th? Am I to understand that my application is not available to these schools until some later date even though the amcas website says it has?

im confused also, tell me if this is right.

i submit my application july 1st, it takes 4-6 wks to process, so schools do not get my application until august 1st at the earliest? but non-screening schools send secondaries before they see my application?

drinklord said:
REL - Would you be able to link us to a document that corroborates your statement? Thanks!

Unfortunately I dont have a document. I obtained this information in the near-monthly AMCAS-Admissions Directors Conference Call. It was all verbal. But is in sync with previous years, usually right after July 4 is when schools get their initial data. Think about the timing of it. Applicants begin in late May. Submit their app. AMCAS advertises 3-5 weeks to verify an app. That pretty much puts it in early July before there are enough verified applications to send to schools.

jtank said:
im confused also, tell me if this is right.

i submit my application july 1st, it takes 4-6 wks to process, so schools do not get my application until august 1st at the earliest? but non-screening schools send secondaries before they see my application?

Ok folks, here's the deal.
1. AMCAS will begin to release data to school as early as July 6.
2. Schools have a choice to receive preliminary data (name, address, emai, phone number) or verified data. Once you press the "button" to submit, information will be made available to schools who work from prelim data within minutes. Schools who want only verified data get noting until verification has been completed.
3. I prefer to get the prelim to "service the applicant." Once we get the prelim that you are applying we'll fire out an email telling you to check our website to ensure that you meet the numerical requirements. If you do, we ask you to reply and request a secondary. You get a link to our electronic secondary shortly thereafter (the quickest this exchange has happened is 6 minutes!! But a few hours is the norm). I want prelim data so that you can receive the secondary ASAP and use your time wisely rather than burn the weeks between submission and verification. It's a habit of mine to get the data moving ---
4. If you tell us that you meet our requirements and request a secondary application and we get the verified app a few weeks later that shows you do not meet the requirements, no biggie. After all you did send us the secondary application fee --- we'll find some way to use it.

I guess this lets you know that some schools react quicker than others simply by the way they choose to work and what data they choose to work from.

REL said:
Once we get the prelim that you are applying we'll fire out an email telling you to check our website to ensure that you meet the numerical requirements. If you do, we ask you to reply and request a secondary. You get a link to our electronic secondary shortly thereafter (the quickest this exchange has happened is 6 minutes!! But a few hours is the norm).

Ah yes, I remember receiving the email from Rel the day after I submitted my AMCAS. The rest of the schools took 1-2 weeks later to get back to me. You can guess to which school I replied the quickest and had one of the most detailed secondaries.

Here's to Rel for putting applicants first.

deuist said:
Ah yes, I remember receiving the email from Rel the day after I submitted my AMCAS. The rest of the schools took 1-2 weeks later to get back to me. You can guess to which school I replied the quickest and had one of the most detailed secondaries.

Amen!!!!!!!!! Plus he posts on SDN, so that gets major plus points from me. Outside of him, Dr. Hinkley, and one other person mentioning someone in NY, I haven't seen these admissions people post on here to help us the way these people have gone out of their way to do so. You gotta give big points for that. :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmm....So if you are a first time august mcater, what is the advantage to submitting early (let's say pre-august) if scores wouldn't be received til october or so? I guess you would automatically receive secondaries sent to all applicants, but your application would be put aside in some sort of order to be re-evaulated with mcat scores for screened secondaries?

I had a former adcom member tell me that secondaries can still be sent out if everything besides mcat scores are in order, but since my gpa is prolly on the lower end of the spectrum and need the mcat to boost my application, I don't fit in with that example.

Can someone please help? I'm confused :/ Thank you!!!

I had a similar question. I sent my AMCAS out second week of June and it has already been processed, so I'm guessing that was good for me and put me ahead of the game. However, Im taking the August MCAT as well, and also checked that in AMCAS where it asks you that, so now are you guys saying that I'm gonna be in the same boat as say people who apply late say August-September, and those who apply after they take the August MCAT? I thought there would be some sort of priority even if you do submit early, but plan on taking the August MCAT? Can someone help please?

Thanks

deuist said:

Deuist,

You have a very nice paper on everything one needs to know to get into medical school. You should try to get more attention for it.

Maybe put the link in bigger bolder letters. Or even ask SDN to put it as a sticky.

Good Job on taking the time and effort to compile all of this info.

gujuDoc said:
Amen!!!!!!!!! Plus he posts on SDN, so that gets major plus points from me. Outside of him, Dr. Hinkley, and one other person mentioning someone in NY, I haven't seen these admissions people post on here to help us the way these people have gone out of their way to do so. You gotta give big points for that.

Hinkley posts on SDN? I've heard him tell pre-meds to go to the web site, but I never knew that he posts messages, too. Do you know his screen name?

docbill said:
Deuist,

You have a very nice paper on everything one needs to know to get into medical school. You should try to get more attention for it.

Maybe put the link in bigger bolder letters. Or even ask SDN to put it as a sticky.

Nice to know that I have fans. I would love to have SDN host the book for future readers. Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with your enthusiasm. I caught a lot of heat from people on the military board about my portrayal of military medicine---and I'm in the Air Force! I will not put the signature in bigger letters simply because I do not want to cause such a burden to thread readers who are not interested in the Introduction. If, however, you are still interested in getting SDN to sticky or host the book, feel free to start a petition to get the moderators' attention; I don't want to advertise it more than I already do. Also, thanks to fans such as gujuDoc and yourself, I already get enough positive press on the message boards.

coral said:
Hmmm....So if you are a first time august mcater, what is the advantage to submitting early

You will receive secondaries from schools that do not pre-screen (e.g., Duke, USF, etc). You can then get these applications completed at the same time many of your competitors do. With the MCAT as the only part of your file missing, some schools will start to take a first glance look at your app. (Note: certain universities will not look at an application until all required components are received.)

deuist said:
Hinkley posts on SDN? I've heard him tell pre-meds to go to the web site, but I never knew that he posts messages, too. Do you know his screen name?

I didn't know that he posted on here recently, until one of the UMiami SOM students and MCAT forum mod (Arsenic) showed a link to a post by Dr. Hinkley.

His username was under his full name: Robert Hinkley and said he joined in May 2005. So maybe he recently started posting on here like Rel started posting only recently. I'll do a search and find the post I'm talking about.

deuist said:
You will receive secondaries from schools that do not pre-screen (e.g., Duke, USF, etc). You can then get these applications completed at the same time many of your competitors do. With the MCAT as the only part of your file missing, some schools will start to take a first glance look at your app. (Note: certain universities will not look at an application until all required components are received.)

You are on target here!! August MCAT'ers and retakers should get all of the rest of their application complete with their schools of interest before the August MCAT scores are announced in late October. Some schools wont look at you or work with you until you get at "qualifying" MCAT scores, but many will take that first glance and await the scores. I have posted in the recent past the perils of the timing of getting an interview if you are awaiting the August score to "qualify." If your file is complete when the score is released you set yourself up for a January-March interview in most cases. If you wait to complete your app after you get that August MCAT, your window of interviewability will probably be considerably less.

deuist said:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2747103#post2747103

Found it. This was the post where Dr. Hinkley was posting on SDN for. It was for the alternate list students for UMiami. He was trying to ease some of their fears by telling them how things are going with waitlist movement, etc.

:)