TUCOM-CA students accepted for fall 05

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bryan, you can email alex ho and he'll add you to the list. [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
for any of you out there who may not have heard anything yet concerning list serv or any other information about this fall, you may want to call admissions. i paid my deposit like three weeks ago, and still had not received one thing from touro. i called yesterday, and there had been some mix-up with my file. i guess that my deposit was not marked in their office, so that was why i had not received any further information. just something to think about, since several of you have mentioned not receiving different items yet.....

kelley201 said:
Im considering the ferry option and wondering if its a bad idea. Has anyone done this or is seriously considering it?

Congrats to all of you on your admission to TUCOM!

Sorry to be nosy. I am a 2004 grad and someone on this list sent me an email. Anyway, one girl in my class took the ferry every day from SF. The only time she drove was when she had an early test or something. The commute from Berkeley is no problem, there were several in my class who made that drive. Most lived in american canyon or fairfield.

Congrats again. Trust me, the next few years will be the craziest, hardest, most rewarding experience anyone could want. :D

Good luck everyone!

DCDO, class of 2002

M00se said:
Congrats to all of you on your admission to TUCOM!

Hey Moose,

Congrats on Graduating. You posts are always helpful. They are part of what got me interested in going to TUCOM in the first place.

Thanks Moose.

Congrats to all of the TUCOM Mare Island (Vallejo) acceptees!!!!! I just want to let you guys know that Valejo is not that bad and is not gansta land. As someone who went to junior high and high schol in V-town, it is truly not that bad and there are some good spots in town and nearby.

I am not a TUCOM student......but I know that you guys have made a wise decision to go. I have many friends who go to TUCOM and they are all very happy.

If any of you have any questions about life in Vallejo, just message me and I will do my best to get back to you! Again congrats to you all and best of luck in the upcoming year. Enjoy your summer because 1st year of med school is no joke...... ;)

Hey, all, I just finished my first year at Touro and thought I'd give some insight on the housing situation. First off, Vallejo has good parts and SHADY parts so do NOT just find a place to rent without checking out the area in person. There are not that many places on-campus to live (and personally I wouldn't be able to stand it-the rooms are small and I needed off the island) but I do know the students that lived in the dorms got along well and seemed to like it. Some people lived in the city, but the drive is a big one. Most students live in Vallejo or Benicia and more second years live farther away because by then you figure out if you are one of those people that needs to go to class or if you can use your time better studying on your own. Spyglass, Waterview, and Club Pacifica are popular options for apartments. Some people have found houses in Vallejo with a group of students. Here's my plug, if you do check out Club Pacifica (1300 Southampton in Benicia) and like it, mention that Beth and Jasmine in #183 recommended Club Pacifica to you. We get some cash (I think $200) which we will split with you.

Hope this helps. You should all be getting "big sibs" soon (2nd years at TOURO) which will be able to answer more questions. You can email me directly at [email protected]. I probably won't check it everyday so it may take awhile for a reply.

Look forward to meeting you all! Have a FUN summer! Don't study anything!

Can I ask everyone what their GPA's / Majors / MCATS / and EC's were that got accepted to TUCOM ?

OnePremier said:
Can I ask everyone what their GPA's / Majors / MCATS / and EC's were that got accepted to TUCOM ?
GPA.. 3.3 overall/3.0 Sci/23M/Biological Sciences with a minor in philisophy/EC's.... Volunteering in the ER and actaully doing stuff and asking questions. TAing Gross Human Anatnomy (full cadaver lab~40 bodies). Human Disection class.

hey all... so im currently applying to both DO and MD and have some questions about the deposit issue. ive already submitted my Amcas and am working on the Aacom app now. i didnt realize until recently about the HUGE deposits that many DO schools require, and there is no way i will be able to put that kinda $$ down if im not sure im going there... my question is what are the timing of apps for TUCOM from when you turn it in to when you get secondaries to when you get interview invites from when they make their final decisions. its not the case that if i got into an MD school i would automatically chose that bc i really like the DO philosophy, but if i havent heard from half of the MD schools im applying to (cali resident, heard the UC's take forever), then i dont think i could make the decision to fork over the deposit with the chance of loosing that much $$... everyone keeps telling me to apply as early as possible, but is there an advantage to applying for DO's later on (and how much later) so i would find out about more schools possibly, or should i just apply now and see what happens... alright kinda confused, so looking for any advice from those who have applied to this school.

akanene said:
hey all... so im currently applying to both DO and MD and have some questions about the deposit issue. ive already submitted my Amcas and am working on the Aacom app now. i didnt realize until recently about the HUGE deposits that many DO schools require, and there is no way i will be able to put that kinda $$ down if im not sure im going there... my question is what are the timing of apps for TUCOM from when you turn it in to when you get secondaries to when you get interview invites from when they make their final decisions. its not the case that if i got into an MD school i would automatically chose that bc i really like the DO philosophy, but if i havent heard from half of the MD schools im applying to (cali resident, heard the UC's take forever), then i dont think i could make the decision to fork over the deposit with the chance of loosing that much $$... everyone keeps telling me to apply as early as possible, but is there an advantage to applying for DO's later on (and how much later) so i would find out about more schools possibly, or should i just apply now and see what happens... alright kinda confused, so looking for any advice from those who have applied to this school.
The admissions committee meets every other Thursday during the interview process to choose who got in from the previous 2 weeks. You then have 2 weeks from the date of the acceptance letter to put up $2000 non-refundable deposit to hold your spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone --

I know most of y'all have already been accepted to TUCOM, but I actually applied to TUCOM late (March/April) and I have an interview June 28th. I've looked at the SDN interview feedback, and while many of the posts emphasized how low stress the interview was, many of the questions posted seemed stressful to me. I think I'm mostly nervous about the group interview style -- any feedback or tips?

thanks!! :)

crunchy said:
Hi everyone --

I know most of y'all have already been accepted to TUCOM, but I actually applied to TUCOM late (March/April) and I have an interview June 28th. I've looked at the SDN interview feedback, and while many of the posts emphasized how low stress the interview was, many of the questions posted seemed stressful to me. I think I'm mostly nervous about the group interview style -- any feedback or tips?

My best advice is to practice how you would answer those questions in front of someone and have them give you feedback on what you should work on. Don’t have a full script on what you want to say, just summarize some points you want to discuss. Personally, I felt that the group interview style isn’t as bad as everyone thinks. I felt it was a lot less stressful than one-on-one interviews because the focus isn’t only on you. You have time to relax in between questions and witness what the other students have to say which I thought was cool because you get to see the interview in the perspective of the interviewers. Relax, have fun, and good luck!

onepremier- touro has some of the highest avg stats of the DO schools. but you can get in with good ECs and decent stats. I was sub 3.0 GPA but made up for it with my MCAT. Remember that if you are invited for an interview your stats are good enough, they just want to see if you're a good fit for the school.
That advice goes to you too, crunchy! Congrats on the interview and best of luck. I can't believe they haven't filled the class yet!
I liked the group interview. Yes, the questions may be harder but that's because each interview gets your file ahead of time and has plenty of time to think of the one question they get, so they can make it a good one. But the advantage is that you only have to answer 4 questions! You also can gauge your performance against the other interviewees. They're looking for sincerity and it shows in this style of interview.

crunchy said:
Hi everyone --

Wow, congrats on getting an interview. I didn't know they were still interviewing. The group interview is interesting. What everyone else said holds true, but I had a girl in mine that would have gone on and on if one of the interviewers hadn't handed her a post-it with a time limit on it for her second question. :smuggrin:
So I think that's something you want to avoid, and make sure you look and react when someone else is speaking...
=) Good luck with everything~

So, for anyone already done with MSI....how many of these books do we actually have to buy??
There seems to be approx 500000 books to buy.
My entire budget will be books!
Help?

Hey,

I recently got a secondary for TUCOM and I am wondering about some of the questions. How do you answer the question about why they should pick you without sounding like a snob. And did you write a seperate essay for the secondary or did you just replace your AACOMS essay?

Any suggestions for Secondary/Interview would be great... this is my first choice school!

Thanks

hmack said:
Hey,

I recently got a secondary for TUCOM and I am wondering about some of the questions. How do you answer the question about why they should pick you without sounding like a snob. And did you write a seperate essay for the secondary or did you just replace your AACOMS essay?

Any suggestions for Secondary/Interview would be great... this is my first choice school!

Thanks

Hi hmack. I received one from TUCOM also, CA to be exact, yesterday 7/01.

If anyone has any advice to hmack's questions, please reply as we need your help! Thank you.

FutureDocDO said:
Hi hmack. I received one from TUCOM also, CA to be exact, yesterday 7/01.

If anyone has any advice to hmack's questions, please reply as we need your help! Thank you.

A few notes from someone who got in:

Definetly write a new essay. Keep in mind that they will probably pay more attention to your Touro secondary essay than your ACOMAS essay. Mention why specifically why Osteopathy in this essay. They like that. But don't be fake about it.

Bascially, answer the question . . . say why you should get in . . . and you won't sound like a snob. You'll sound competent and confident. And that is exactly what they are looking for. For some people this is very natural, for others this is a huge stretch. We so not used to talking about ourselves in this way. Well, its time to get used it very fast, cause this is what applying to med school is all about.

At this same time . . . Definetly be honest. Be yourself. But talk yourself up. Reach into your life, realize what a rad person you are and tell them that. It's an exercise. You should feel good afterwards.

If you don't know, ask other people who know and see what they say about you and being a doctor and osteopathy. Listen honestly to their answers. What you've told them, even casually, is probably what your really think. That's where you must be coming from, what you REALLY think and feel.

Now make it eloquent and charming and articulate . . . your BEST writing. You'll get that interview.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Take you time doing this part right. Getting it in Aug 1st versus Oct 1st make NO difference in Touro's case. Their classes fill up slowly. As long as you interview before Feb 1st . . . you're fine.

Thanks for the great advice. It really will help me get in the right frame of mind to answer these questions.

Have a great first year at TUCOM!

Hi everyone,
Congrats on getting into Touro! That is great! I am applying for this year and my stats aren't so great. 23O and 3.75 science gpa. I am an non-trad. student, however, (am a writer and professor) and I have a lot of experience shadowing docors. Do you guys think I have a shot?
Also, if anyone is willing, I would love to hear your scores and grades as well.
Thanks so much!

shanageena said:
Hi everyone,
Congrats on getting into Touro! That is great! I am applying for this year and my stats aren't so great. 23O and 3.75 science gpa. I am an non-trad. student, however, (am a writer and professor) and I have a lot of experience shadowing docors. Do you guys think I have a shot?
Also, if anyone is willing, I would love to hear your scores and grades as well.
Thanks so much!
Hey,
I too am a "non-traditional" student.... although, not as non-trad (28). I was accepted to Touro with a 3.3 overall, 3.0 sci and a 23M on my MCAT. I know that my volunteer and life experiences were a huge factor in my acceptance. Touro is a great school and they do look at the person and what kind of doctor you would make. Numbers do tell them this to a certain extent, but they know that the numbers aren't everything. So... I say apply. Life experience ... in my book.. is better than any grades or scores. Good luck.