A Problem at Appalachia COP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abilify

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder what is going on here? :confused: I hope this is not another HICP in the making. I wonder how this will effect their standing with the folks at ACPE

Article Link

Details not forthcoming on Gonzales' sabbatical
BY KATHY STILL
BRISTOL HERALD COURIER
Thursday, November 3, 2005

University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy
www.uacp.org

GRUNDY – The University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy has a new acting dean, but the school’s governing body won’t say why.

The private pharmacy school opened its doors to 77 students in August under the leadership of Edgar Gonzales, the founding dean.

Nearly two months later, Frank Kilgore, chairman of the school’s board of trustees, said Gonzales would take a paid sabbatical to sort out his options. Details were not forthcoming.

Then, late Tuesday night, Kilgore announced that Lanny Foss, a senior faculty member, had been chosen to serve as acting dean while the school searched for a permanent dean and new president. Gonzales held both posts.

"Our trustees, including me, cannot comment upon the status of Dr. Edgar Gonzales," Kilgore said in a statement. "We have regrouped rapidly and are running smoothly."

He directed questions to Gonzales’ attorney, Bruce Shine, who released a statement but declined to discuss details.

"We are engaged in ongoing discussions with Mr. Kilgore regarding the ongoing relationship between Dean Gonzales and his employment with the College of Pharmacy of the University of Appalachia," Shine said.

"The contract of employment with the university, as a matter of law, has not been terminated. All conversations at this point are private, amicable and in the best interest of the constituent elements of the College of Pharmacy."

The change came after Kilgore and the board of trustees discussed the status of the pharmacy program with faculty and students, according to a statement issued late Tuesday.

"We have a very strong program with a great faculty, student body and community support," Kilgore said in the statement.

"Dr. Foss has been our associate dean since inception and offers maturity, experience and a steady approach to success and accreditation as we seek a permanent dean. He has committed to serve in any capacity we ask of him in order to assure an orderly transition."

Foss served on the faculty at Xavier University in Louisiana for 29 years.

Kilgore said a national search for a permanent dean would take place, but he didn’t rule out the possibility that a replacement could come from within the school’s ranks.

He hinted that the school could announce a $3 million operations grant soon. Details were not provided. A building program will be launched next month for the school’s permanent campus, Kilgore said.

"We are moving along very well, to say the least," he said.

The private three-year pharmacy school received substantial funding from public sources. It got $50,000 in federal Appalachian Regional Commission money for a developmental study last year, and it received $500,000 in a federal appropriation to develop curriculum, hire faculty and pay for renovations to its facilities.

The Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority provided a $150,000 grant earlier this year to buy laboratory and Internet technology equipment.

Preliminary studies showed that the school could pump nearly $10 million annually into Buchanan County’s economy.

Members don't see this ad.

As a long time browser of this forum, as well as a student at UACP, let me just say that I, along with the rest of my classmates were THRILLED to see him go.

Honestly, I felt he was the most egotistical individual I had ever met. I worked an event with him back in September, and was so embarassed by his attitude I wanted to crawl in a hole and die. During the first two months of classes he fired two teachers without warning or reason. He would come in during class, and rewrite another teachers test for no apparent reason....He humiliated people in class to the point of tears. He made racial/sexual comments about people to their faces. Oh, and he had this football he used to throw around when he asked people questions and he hit a girl in the face with it and about knocked her out (her eye was literally swollen for days.)

Dr. Foss (our current dean) is absolutely wonderful, and the school runs so much smoother now. He is calm, levelheaded, and knows how to run a pharmacy school, as he's been a teacher for 29 years. He and his wife show up to EVERY event, party, and community service project we do.
According to our senior faculty as well as those of us who spoke to the ACPE, the firing of one individual will not affect accreditation. (The main problem with HICP was that they were never accredited in the first place, and according to the ACPE they were trying to still work with them up until the end.) The school has a great lineup of faculty, and a very challenging curriculum. We are in the process of looking for a new dean, as well as hiring new faculty members. We look forward to meeting with the ACPE this spring.

Oh, and the reason Gonzalez said they fired him was because he "caught" the board trying to embezzle money from the school....yeah right.
---And currently, he's working as a floater for Rite Aide.
---And yes, I believe he "misappropriated funds"

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so question...
what does the ACPE look at before they grant precandidate status or do you get it if you just if you fill the forms out right?

On another note...
When do you all start rotations at UACP? are there going to be any middle of the curriculum ones? or are they all going to be at the end?

How is setting up rotation sites going?

UACP, not sure who this is but I don't think it would be accurate to say that all students were excited about the change. I won't personally comment on how I feel, but I don't think that this is the sort of place to continue spreading rumors about the ex-administration or the school in general.

BBMuffin---our rotations actually start this January. Not sure if you are familiar with the area, but our rotations are in Grundy, Richlands, Lebanon, Abingdon, Bristol, and a couple of other surrounding areas. We go every other week this semester, and then all summer long.
As for the precandidate status there is a checklist that the school has to go through before they are given precandidate status...

Plaster--I wasn't spreading rumors about the school or the ex-administration. Everything I said was the truth. I guess you are right that some people weren't happy about his leaving.....fortunately they aren't the one's who will make it through the program ;)
He was waaaay too easy on certain people and it's best they leave now as opposed to lowering our NAPLEX stats at the end.

jplaster said:
UACP, not sure who this is but I don't think it would be accurate to say that all students were excited about the change. I won't personally comment on how I feel, but I don't think that this is the sort of place to continue spreading rumors about the ex-administration or the school in general.
Censorship is bad.
Rumors are a fact of life.
Deal with it

UACP said:
BBMuffin---our rotations actually start this January. Not sure if you are familiar with the area, but our rotations are in Grundy, Richlands, Lebanon, Abingdon, Bristol, and a couple of other surrounding areas. We go every other week this semester, and then all summer long.
As for the precandidate status there is a checklist that the school has to go through before they are given precandidate status...

Plaster--I wasn't spreading rumors about the school or the ex-administration. Everything I said was the truth. I guess you are right that some people weren't happy about his leaving.....fortunately they aren't the one's who will make it through the program ;)
He was waaaay too easy on certain people and it's best they leave now as opposed to lowering our NAPLEX stats at the end.
i am actually very familiar with the area and have heard many area pharmacists decline to take students which is why i was wondering...

i have also heard that grundy approached etsu for rotation sites and i believe they have an agreement? perhaps that's just johnson city....

jplaster: so then tell us the truth.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing...especially with places in Kingsport and Bristol mainly. From what I've heard though, the problem lies in the fact that ETSU's pharmacy school is "supposedly" starting up this fall and the pharmacist's feel obligated to take students from ETSU.
And accoring to a pharmacist I know that is on our board, we have about 200 places that were willing to take students.
Oh, and each week we go to a different pharmacy...I guess that way we get a feeling for different kinds of settings early on.

Sorry....forgot to add that during the summers and our third year we are all going home for rotations. Except for ~10-15 people who are actually from the Grundy area.

UACP, I'm not choosing a side in this particular argument, I have neither publicly supported nor publicly opposed Dr. Gonzalez. I also understand your implication about certain class members not making it through the program and I will only say that maybe you shouldn't speak so soon.

jplaster said:
UACP, I'm not choosing a side in this particular argument, I have neither publicly supported nor publicly opposed Dr. Gonzalez. I also understand your implication about certain class members not making it through the program and I will only say that maybe you shouldn't speak so soon.
Is this a scare tatic to get your friend to shut up or something? If you are truly worried about what is said on SDN, you need to get a life. Maybe you should get some sunshine that I hear is in abundance in Grundy! ;)

Abilify said:
Is this a scare tatic to get your friend to shut up or something? If you are truly worried about what is said on SDN, you need to get a life.
It is okay for them to have differing points of view. Jeremy has been pretty laid back considering that he is the one being antagonized. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
It is okay for them to have differing points of view. Jeremy has been pretty laid back considering that he is the one being antagonized. ;)
We've only seen one point of view.

I'm not trying to antagonize anyone....I don't want to see anyone in the class leave. And my OPINION is that the school is run much better now....I do not wish anything bad for Dr. Gonzalez....I thought he was a dynamic teacher, I just didn't think he handled the position of dean/president in a very appropriate manner.

As for Jeremy, I know to what you are referring, and the statement was most certainly NOT directed at you... Everyone thinks you are a great VP. :)

There are just a few people in my opinion who do not belong in the school...but I guess that is true of all schools, right?

Abilify- I'm not sure what your deal is. I am not trying to censor anything or anyone, never have never will. If UACP wants to discuss the situation that's fine by me and I apologize if my posts were viewed as being censorship or even scare tactics. Apparently the poster knows more about the situation than I know. I have remained neutral in the entire sitation, noting the fact that I don't have conclusive evidence or facts to support either side, and aware of the fact that I probably never will. For this reason I choose to reserve judgment and put my faith in the leaders of the school that the decisions they make will be in the best interests of the school and myself. And as for getting a life I have one that I enjoy quite well thank you.

UACP- I assumed your statement was aimed at me, since that's not the case I apologize for being so defensive. And yes I agree in every class there are those who don't truly deserve to be there, but that's life.

I agree that we will never have the facts about what went on. I don't know anymore about it than anyone else...I was just stating what I had personally seen out of him. I did not mean to pick one side or the other. Neutrality is definitely the best option in this situation. Especially considering that it's a done deal. Possibly my feelings are a little clouded where he is concerned. I felt he was very very for the students, and then all of a sudden the you know what hit the fan. If what the newspapers & faculty & board members told us was true I feel very let down and disappointed by his actions. I am very happy with the way the school is being run now, and I feel it is a much less stressful environment without him, although I do miss Dr. Mayhew. Alot.

Jeremy--apparently the ever rampant rumor mill at school has you pegged as one of the smarter people in school. As well as one of the higher PCAT scorers. I am sure you know the ones I am refering to though. Although I do have one bone to pick with you---"And as for getting a life I have one that I enjoy quite well thank you." <====Do we live in the same city??? Because personally I don't think I have a life right now....

UACP said:
Do we live in the same city??? Because personally I don't think I have a life right now....

I don't see how anyone who lives in grundy can actually have a life as it is a hole in the mountain

I most defininately agree...You know you're sad when the most exciting thing you have to do is study. Fortunately though, I've made straight A's all semester, but I don't think that's a very good trade off for the life I used to enjoy back in civilization :(

UACP I guess when I made the statement about having a life I should have put some qualifiers on that. I have a nice life outside of Grundy, because I'm not that far from home and still go home fairly regularly.

UACP said:
I most defininately agree...You know you're sad when the most exciting thing you have to do is study. Fortunately though, I've made straight A's all semester, but I don't think that's a very good trade off for the life I used to enjoy back in civilization :(

jplaster said:
UACP I guess when I made the statement about having a life I should have put some qualifiers on that. I have a nice life outside of Grundy, because I'm not that far from home and still go home fairly regularly.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm sorry i totally understand....

As long as UACP follows the guidlines set forth in their application to ACPE there should not be a problem. The students will gain the required knowledge needed to become very good pharmacists. Sometimes things happen that can't be controlled. The school simply has to move ahead. The program has some very experienced faculty whose goal it is to train students to become very good pharmacists. The goal has not changed because there was a change at the top.

And any comparison to HICP is a complete joke.