I am soo Disapointed..:(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should this person change carreers?

• Total voters

FirstMANdown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to spill my guts out, so please be gentle-if you can. I have been going to school all my life while working part time. I am 37 with two daughters and a wife that depend on me. This year I applied to 30+ Family residency spots and only obtained 6 official interviews, thought they went well and of course I ranked all of them. However, no Match and whats worse did not scramble succesfully as well. It took me 6 academic years to finish medical school due to multiple retakes for Step 1(3x) and 2 CK(3x) not CS(1x). I have never been a good test taker. I have done well clinically averaging as a "B" student with only one shelf retake for IM. I have come a long way.
I contacted my school in which I am considered an "Alumni" and no one could really help me find a position. What really rubs the salt in my wounds is that my Medical school has 3 residency programs affiliated with them and none of them could help me either. Im wondering if I could be possibly black walled for not being a great academic student....I dont know, I have always been respectfull to every one and never burned any bridges. I talked to the Dean and many Faculty members and got the same response-Advise, no leeds or anything which can get me a job. Right now I am considering applying for post-doc work but I dont think it would help my cause for the following ERAS 2007 year. Plus, I have a student loan in an access of $269,000.00 I am so depressed right now. I call everyday to programs hoping something will pop up, applied to "Find a Resident" as well, and a few other things.
I have always had a love for medicine, but I would have never guessed that a guy like me even being at the bottom of the barrel as american graduates go could not even get a spot in Family medicine somewhere??? I am running out of ideas and dont know what to do at this time. Anybody got any advice? I could sure use it, good or bad but constructive please. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

FirstMANdown said:
I am going to spill my guts out, so please be gentle-if you can. I have been going to school all my life while working part time. I am 37 with two daughters and a wife that depend on me. This year I applied to 30+ Family residency spots and only obtained 6 official interviews, thought they went well and of course I ranked all of them. However, no Match and whats worse did not scramble succesfully as well. It took me 6 academic years to finish medical school due to multiple retakes for Step 1(3x) and 2 CK(3x) not CS(1x). I have never been a good test taker. I have done well clinically averaging as a "B" student with only one shelf retake for IM. I have come a long way.
I contacted my school in which I am considered an "Alumni" and no one could really help me find a position. What really rubs the salt in my wounds is that my Medical school has 3 residency programs affiliated with them and none of them could help me either. Im wondering if I could be possibly black walled for not being a great academic student....I dont know, I have always been respectfull to every one and never burned any bridges. I talked to the Dean and many Faculty members and got the same response-Advise, no leeds or anything which can get me a job. Right now I am considering applying for post-doc work but I dont think it would help my cause for the following ERAS 2007 year. Plus, I have a student loan in an access of $269,000.00 I am so depressed right now. I call everyday to programs hoping something will pop up, applied to "Find a Resident" as well, and a few other things.
I have always had a love for medicine, but I would have never guessed that a guy like me even being at the bottom of the barrel as american graduates go could not even get a spot in Family medicine somewhere??? I am running out of ideas and dont know what to do at this time. Anybody got any advice? I could sure use it, good or bad but constructive please. :confused:

Can't help but notice your location is california. Have you tried spots outside of california? by outside i mean montana, west texas, tennessee, etc.??? I'm sure you could find something if you're willing to go "anywhere". Maybe I am mistaken???? good luck either way

FirstMANdown said:
I have always had a love for medicine, but I would have never guessed that a guy like me even being at the bottom of the barrel as american graduates go could not even get a spot in Family medicine somewhere?

I have to wonder if there are more red flags than just your (very) spotty academic record. You might need to work on your interview skills, or perhaps there's some sort of damning information in your letters of recommendation. Dunno.

You might consider internal medicine, as there are a lot more programs compared to FP, and many of them are larger.

check out www.chcbc.com. This is an unopposed FP program in Coldwater Michigan. Nice hospital. Great schedule/ call from home. Avg hours 35-65 depending on month. Lots of free time, lakes. Small friendly program. It is a D.O. program but will take M.D.s under certain circumstances

Later

I am older than you with a wife and 2 kids also. I am an IMG too from Europe. Even with your lackluster board scores, as a US grad, you certainly should have applied to many, many more programs. My board scores are not bad (not great either), and I applied to over 30 and got about 15 interviews and luckily I'll start in July (IM). You really have to apply smart. get the unfilled list in both FM and IM and try to target programs geographically next year so you dont spend a fortune flying all over the country interviewing. I assume your Deans letter is damning. Did you read your Dean's letter or other LOR? If you didn't, there may be the problem, but maybe your interview skills are not great. I do feel for you as a family man, I know how hard it is to cram for exams and finish rotations and trying to explain to your 2 year old why daddy cant play with them for the 1000th time. Advise to apply South, midwestern states in both IM and FP. GL PS I heard Duke Family Medicine was absolutely MALIGNANT and was losing residents left and right. Go where someone will take you.

based on feedback my interview skills are pretty good, I have read my Dean's letter and seen all my LOR's and there all good. Its just my USMLE scores are very very low--->75x2.

normalforce said:
check out www.chcbc.com. This is an unopposed FP program in Coldwater Michigan. Nice hospital. Great schedule/ call from home. Avg hours 35-65 depending on month. Lots of free time, lakes. Small friendly program. It is a D.O. program but will take M.D.s under certain circumstances

Later
thanks for the leed. I will check it out!

i will be honest with you...and i'm sure its no news to you...your board scores are haunting you. everybody gets stuck at some point in their career. the question you want to ask yourself is this - will you be a good doctor? i don't just mean in the "i love patients and i'm good with patients" kind of way. that is very important, but you also have to be competent. only you can judge yourself in that sense. will you be safe for patients?

let's say you do find yourself an FP spot somewhere. what if you have trouble with step 3? or trouble with the FP boards? what if your PD thinks you lack knowledge and makes you repeat rotations? have you thought about those scenarios? this is not to say you are stupid...it just means that medicine may not be your field, no matter how much you want to be in it. honestly, just ask yourself if that is safe for patients. i have known plenty of people who after failing step 1 more than once or twice, decide that maybe med school isn't for them after all. i am amazed that you stuck it out and its commendable. BUT, perseverance does not equal being a good doctor, period.

i am trying to say this in the nicest way possible, but also giving you my true opinion. i know this is a hard time for you, but you need to think quickly so that you can take care of your family, pay off your loans and seriously, move on with your life whether its in medicine or elsewhere. the people i mentioned who dropped out of med school or didn't do residency are research scientists, drug representatives, medical lawyers, mba-health administrators, interior designers! they are good at what they do now...and happy.

please take my opinion for what it is - just an opinion. i hope this did not hurt your feelings.

FirstMANdown said:
It took me 6 academic years to finish medical school due to multiple retakes for Step 1(3x) and 2 CK(3x) not CS(1x). I have never been a good test taker. I have done well clinically averaging as a "B" student with only one shelf retake for IM. I have come a long way. :confused:

You could possibly teach at a community college with your MD, right?

Do let us know how it works out for you.

Good Luck!

As much disdain as I have for some drug reps and the whole pharmaceutical culture that makes them a necessary evil, I think that the suggestion to work for a drug company for a while might actually be a good one for you. Those folks make some very decent money, and with an MD (or DO), you will be attractive to companies because you can relate to doctors as one of their own. When they ask you why you aren't practicing, you can just say that you are taking some time off before doing a residency (which is true).

That will at least buy you some time, and you can think seriously about your options. I think the worst thing you can do at this point is to rush into a residency position just because it's available, if you were even able to find that. I agree with gwen that you are likely to have similar problems with Step 3 and board licensing exams (which I hear are not easy in FM) given your current record.

You might also want to do some real investigation into what the source of your poor test-taking is: is it your knowledge base? Is it anxiety? Is it strategy? If you don't think you can handle the exams you have in front of you, you might really consider doing something else until you get your knowledge base or your test taking skills up to par.

Plus, with the amount of debt you have, you could be seriously putting your family in danger of losing everything if you don't find some way to start paying that back soon.

Best of luck.

First man,

I think you should try again! Your perseverence will count for something! I don't think that Step I scores can make or break the decision. I have a friend who matched a prestigous program in neurology with a 182 on Step I. Do something this year that shows your determination--research (get published), get involved in the local AAFP........anything that will get an extra glance by the PD.

Best of luck!

FirstMANdown said:

i would say keep trying , if you are a good clinician, and have good lor.. you never know. its hard, but do what you truly love in life, if you can..
on that note, i will tell you of a couple of people i know personally who got in with similar record. one is a fmg, who took i dont know maybe, 5, or 6 times for step 1. step 2 one time, and got in last year scrambled into a FP program.. and know he is a second year, and doing well in his residency according to his PD and other residents and faculty.. ok.. now not everyone can do that , it is the small minority of people who do it and they are very hard workers.. i assume.

the other guy i knew got into neurology, after a couople of fails in either step 1 or 2, dont remember which one, but also did a couple of years of research, and publications, and that is what helped, i assume.. this also was a couple years ago.. so anyways, it is possible, but hard..

you could also check with someone, dont know who, about problems, with test taking.. there was a guy i dont know what he did, who "claimed he was either dislexic, or got a note from a docgtor who said he had a problem with test taking due to etc.. etc.." and they let him take extra time, for step 1 and step 2, when he took it.. he had special permission, and i knew the guy, and dont know if he was lying or not, but either way, he had extra hours for both exams, this was a few years, ago..and that helped him pass and do well..

well anyways, good luck.. try paid research positions as well!.

I find it hard to believe that an American-trained MD cannot find any residency program anywhere that will take him/her. If your medical school graduated you then you have the ability to be a good doctor, so don't listen to the crowd suggesting you might not be safe for patients. There are limits set by NBME restricting the number of times you can take USMLE exams. Obviously, you did not exceed this limit therefore the NBME feels like you are safe to license.

There must be something else. Either you have something that you are not telling us or maybe don't know about that is making the difference. American-trained MDs should be able to find a spot somewhere. Do not restrict yourself geographically. There are tons of FP/IM programs in the south and midwest that are not selective and would love to train you. And it doesn't matter where you train, everybody gets payed on the same scale so you should be able to pay your loans back.

In short, my advice is to not give up. There is still a program out there for you.

Spots will open up between now and July. People drop out, get sick etc. If you truly feel that you will be a good doctor, don't give up. After all your record is already a monument to perseverance! Do not give up when victory is at hand! :)

I can't believe someone can't get family practice in this country, especially an american graduate. I think it would be ridiculous to wait and not take any opening anywhere unless your family cannot move. Once you graduate, you're a doctor, that's it.

I did a job search on locum tenens and there were over 200+ family practice jobs available just in California. They're begging people to sign up. You can be a doctor and work right here in Cali, no problem. so what if you failed some bull**** standardized tests. A good doctor is a combination of many things.

Keep calling around. You still have lots of time till July. Good luck to you. :thumbup

drPLUM said:
I find it hard to believe that an American-trained MD cannot find any residency program anywhere that will take him/her. If your medical school graduated you then you have the ability to be a good doctor, so don't listen to the crowd suggesting you might not be safe for patients. There are limits set by NBME restricting the number of times you can take USMLE exams. Obviously, you did not exceed this limit therefore the NBME feels like you are safe to license.

There must be something else. Either you have something that you are not telling us or maybe don't know about that is making the difference. American-trained MDs should be able to find a spot somewhere. Do not restrict yourself geographically. There are tons of FP/IM programs in the south and midwest that are not selective and would love to train you. And it doesn't matter where you train, everybody gets payed on the same scale so you should be able to pay your loans back.

In short, my advice is to not give up. There is still a program out there for you.
Thank you for the good advice. I will be considering all options but of course the main one is to pursue my carreer as a practicing physician.

You took step 1 and step 2 three times each, and ultimately passed. Now's not the time to give up after all that hard work! Trust me you will get a residency position somewhere next year if you apply broadly enough.

I just wanted to say DON'T GIVE UP! If you've gotten good LORs and feel your clinical skills are good (or you're at least motivated to improve), you'll make a fine physician. Don't listen to people who tell you to reevaluate whether or not you're a danger to patients based on your BOARD SCORES. Board scores have so little to do with the actual everyday real world practice of medicine. And the advice about not limiting yourself geographically is so true. I'm sure if you're open to living somewhere maybe a little out of your comfort zone for a few years you'll be able to find a program that would love to have you.

Good luck to you.

look, if you are not finding an fp residency spot because you are not willing to move, then, of course, we have pin pointed the problem. but you haven't told us this yet. and you say that you have fine interviewing skills and your lors are good. so then, what's the problem?

i understand that board scores do not necessarily reflect your clinical skills or maybe cannot predict how well you'll do in residency. believe me, i know co-residents who score in the 99th percentile on the boards and intraining exams and are much worse than me in the clinical arena. but you can't tell me that board scores don't reflect anything. and that failing a test two or three times doesn't mean anything. heck, the PDs are probably scared that he might not pass his FP boards since he's not a good "test taker". the only way of going around this is doing an EXTERNSHIP at the hospital that you want to work at. work with them and show them what you got. if they don't like you, seriously, move on!

i'm all about love and harmony, but please, you have to have some basic knowledge of medicine to practice it.

i do remember of a man i learned in high school.....he was born with a medical condition, he struggled as a child in school and in his social life, he barely made it through college, he took the bar (law degree) on multiple attempts, he entered the political scene and was defeated by "better" candidates, he lost more campaign elections in various government positions......oh, wait, did i tell you he later became the 16th President of the United States! (good ole' Abe).
hey, i WAS in some of the same situation you are in (and i stress WAS). there's a reason you went through school for many years and where you are now. and certainly it's not to give up everything. it's not a secret: there will always be people to discourage and try to put you down. i havent figured if they're projecting or displacing, but whatever it is sometimes too many advice leads to confusion. so filter through the ones you feel is the best. for every movement forward, there's always the same and equal force moving you backwards. i just personally find it sad that even folks in medicine will put a fellow brother to the curb. there's a difference by telling the facts, but there's also a way to express that. and a little hope can go a long way, too! those 'so-called-physicians' you can take them as a grain of salt. there is a program that will take all your credentials into consideration. and yes, it's not all about the boards. ("hey, doc, before you treat me for my cold, can i ask you what your scores for step 1 is??!). i didnt have the "highest" scores (whatever high means) and was against all odds and there was a program that has given me a chance.
also remember EVERYONE that landed a residency did NOT have a flawless record. it's a fact many of us dont want to admit. there was "something" that was not disclosed or shared, whatever "that" may be. who's perfect anyways??
so be persistent and be patient (the hardest of 'em all) and the good Lord will part your "sea" and find you a residency!

all the best,
fpdoc06

I was in a very similar situation as yours recently, fortunately I was able to match this year. I failed step 1 once and step 2 twice. Then, I subsequently had to sit out a year because of my inability to match in 2005. It was probably the most difficult year of my life. Trying to find a position outside of the match in your (and my) position is close to impossible.(but not impossible) Call on some favors from attending and other physicians you may know. Find-a-resident is a wash. Stay tuned to the forums and other web sites that list open positions. My advice to you is to stay focused and don't give up because if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. PM me if you like.

Good luck and count you blessing!

edulover

wow. that sucks.

Hey OP are you a US Allo student? DO? FMG?

I guess one option for the OP is what some ppl on here said, just keep trying.

I however, would go with what toughlife said. Try being a Pharm Rep. or work for a Pharmaceutical COmpany. Remember, you have that MD degree, it will give you a leg up in that industry. that is of course, if you are interested in that sort of a thing.

ThinkFast007 said:
I guess one option for the OP is what some ppl on here said, just keep trying.

I however, would go with what toughlife said. Try being a Pharm Rep. or work for a Pharmaceutical COmpany. Remember, you have that MD degree, it will give you a leg up in that industry. that is of course, if you are interested in that sort of a thing.

I remmember doing tele-marketing part time in undergrad. I hated it. I dont believe being a Pharm rep sales person would be a whole lot different. If I switched carreers I would probably go into relastate. But, I know I would never be quit as happy as I would be helping patients in the public arena. But thanks for the suggestions....I mean every one. Again thank you all.

Keep appying (apply for 2007)....and do do not give-up hope. Mean while, try to use your MD degree in a way that would strengthen your application. 3 ways come to mind:

-Academic medicine = There are some schools that hire "clinical instructors", if not in the US, then foreign schools. I know Ross University is looking for "Clinical Instructors" to work in Dominica right now.

-"House offier" = There are some hospitals that hire "house officers" that function basically as interns (but not quite). There are many such hospitals in NYC (Brookyn and Queens).

-Army/navy/AF = Try talking to a recruter, there must be something "MEDICAL" that you can do there. Surgical PDs LOVE the millitary, as well as the "older" PDs....Unless they were at Wood-stock in the 60's ;)

You are a US MD. You will get a residency position (God willing). Just do not give up.

:luck:

Dude, get on the phone. Call every FP program in the country with an open spot and be willing to move anywhere. If you get to the end of the list and no luck, start with the list of open prelim spots. Again, don't limit yourself geographically, call everyone in the country. Getting a prelim spot will keep you loans in deferment. If that doesn't work, call a military recruiter. They would love to have you. They will probably pay a bunch of you loans in exchange for a certain number of years of commitments after residency. Plus military residents make somewhere around 80K. They always have a place for primary care docs. Your situation, although far from ideal, is not as bad as you make it. You will find a spot, but it will take work and sacrifice. ;)

fpdoc06 said:
i do remember of a man i learned in high school.....he was born with a medical condition, he struggled as a child in school and in his social life, he barely made it through college, he took the bar (law degree) on multiple attempts, he entered the political scene and was defeated by "better" candidates, he lost more campaign elections in various government positions......oh, wait, did i tell you he later became the 16th President of the United States! (good ole' Abe).
hey, i WAS in some of the same situation you are in (and i stress WAS). there's a reason you went through school for many years and where you are now. and certainly it's not to give up everything. it's not a secret: there will always be people to discourage and try to put you down. i havent figured if they're projecting or displacing, but whatever it is sometimes too many advice leads to confusion. so filter through the ones you feel is the best. for every movement forward, there's always the same and equal force moving you backwards. i just personally find it sad that even folks in medicine will put a fellow brother to the curb. there's a difference by telling the facts, but there's also a way to express that. and a little hope can go a long way, too! those 'so-called-physicians' you can take them as a grain of salt. there is a program that will take all your credentials into consideration. and yes, it's not all about the boards. ("hey, doc, before you treat me for my cold, can i ask you what your scores for step 1 is??!). i didnt have the "highest" scores (whatever high means) and was against all odds and there was a program that has given me a chance.
also remember EVERYONE that landed a residency did NOT have a flawless record. it's a fact many of us dont want to admit. there was "something" that was not disclosed or shared, whatever "that" may be. who's perfect anyways??
so be persistent and be patient (the hardest of 'em all) and the good Lord will part your "sea" and find you a residency!

all the best,
fpdoc06
Thank you. It is nice to see so many reply,s that are encouraging in up lifting. I feel like I have a sence of renewed strength because of you all. Again, Thanks all. GOD bless.

FirstMANdown said:

Quitter never wins.
Winner never quits.

gwen said:
i will be honest with you...and i'm sure its no news to you...your board scores are haunting you. everybody gets stuck at some point in their career. the question you want to ask yourself is this - will you be a good doctor? i don't just mean in the "i love patients and i'm good with patients" kind of way. that is very important, but you also have to be competent. only you can judge yourself in that sense. will you be safe for patients?

let's say you do find yourself an FP spot somewhere. what if you have trouble with step 3? or trouble with the FP boards? what if your PD thinks you lack knowledge and makes you repeat rotations? have you thought about those scenarios? this is not to say you are stupid...it just means that medicine may not be your field, no matter how much you want to be in it. honestly, just ask yourself if that is safe for patients. i have known plenty of people who after failing step 1 more than once or twice, decide that maybe med school isn't for them after all. i am amazed that you stuck it out and its commendable. BUT, perseverance does not equal being a good doctor, period.

i am trying to say this in the nicest way possible, but also giving you my true opinion. i know this is a hard time for you, but you need to think quickly so that you can take care of your family, pay off your loans and seriously, move on with your life whether its in medicine or elsewhere. the people i mentioned who dropped out of med school or didn't do residency are research scientists, drug representatives, medical lawyers, mba-health administrators, interior designers! they are good at what they do now...and happy.

please take my opinion for what it is - just an opinion. i hope this did not hurt your feelings.

Then why didn't you say it to him in a private MESSAGE? :rolleyes:

because he solicited advice on a public forum and i wanted to share it with everyone. look, i'm giving my opinion because he asked for it. instead of encouraging mediocrity in the world of medicine, i am encouraging him to go into something he might be better at. he still hasn't explained why he didn't get an fp spot besides his scores. is it because of location? other "issues"?

come on, you have to admit that its nearly impossible to NOT match into fp graduating from a US school. sure, i'd encourage him to try maybe once more and try fast. otherwise, you guys are just telling him to pursue a dream that will land him in more debt and more "disappointed". he's 37 with a family to take care of. sorry if honesty hurts. and its NOT a private message.

we appreciate your 'honest' opinion, you're certainly entitled to that.
it just makes me wonder how you would approach a patient with bad news....do you need to be competent at that?? no wait, stellar board scores, no, just #1 in your class, or is it a great personal statement, no, must be the interview skills ....well, at least you were HONEST....a little hope does go a long way, my friend. hmmm....

I think the first thing you should do is go to the AAFP website and look at every single FP program in the country. Find the ones that have mostly FMGs and apply there.

haha, at least i tell them the bad news, not hide it under the rug. oh, sir, it'll be fine, its not like you have bone mets with that prostate cancer ;) contrary to what you may think, i'm honest AND sympathetic with my patients and friends.

anyway, this isn't about me, i'll let you people console this guy.

firstmandown, good luck with whichever way your future takes you!

gwen said:
haha, at least i tell them the bad news, not hide it under the rug. oh, sir, it'll be fine, its not like you have bone mets with that prostate cancer ;) contrary to what you may think, i'm honest AND sympathetic with my patients and friends.

anyway, this isn't about me, i'll let you people console this guy.

firstmandown, good luck with whichever way your future takes you!

Whats disgusting about your behavior is that you would even use that wink thing in relation to telling someone about bone mets - you need a lesson on civility girl - or you need to grow up, whatever.

And, I can't tell that your sympathetic at all - anonymous forum or not - this is how you treat your colleagues? :thumbdown:

Firstman, don't sweat it - you passed your boards now - apply far and wide, if all is as you say I'm sure it will work out. I'll say a prayer for you :)

Poety said:
Whats disgusting about your behavior is that you would even use that wink thing in relation to telling someone about bone mets - you need a lesson on civility girl - or you need to grow up, whatever.

And, I can't tell that your sympathetic at all - anonymous forum or not - this is how you treat your colleagues? :thumbdown:

Firstman, don't sweat it - you passed your boards now - apply far and wide, if all is as you say I'm sure it will work out. I'll say a prayer for you :)

oh jeebus. the ol' "i don't like what you say on a public and anonymous message forum so you are a BAD DOCTOR" line. never heard that one around here before.

I appreciate your honesty GWEN. Everyone thanks for the confident booster. Sometimes getting advice good or bad...as long as it is constructive I dont mind. No feelings hurt here, But I sure wished things could have worked out better for me. Well, Im still trying people. Thanks all. Even you GWEN. :)

Poety said:

You're telling her to grow up? Do you read what you write before you post it?

mysophobe said:
You're telling her to grow up? Do you read what you write before you post it?

:rolleyes: :p

oh boy, looks like someone needs a lesson in reading as well. the whole POINT of the "wink" was that OBVIOUSLY you don't tell someone bad news like that. looks like you need to toughen up. do you want me to bring over some cookies and milk? even firstmandown is more realistic than you.

so i'll grow up, or "whatever"

Poety said:

gwen said:

I didn't think this post was out of line at all. It gets at the essence of what the OP needs to ask themselves. Will I make a good doctor? Is it time to cut and run? If the answer is that they are just a poor test taker then they should forge ahead. If the answer is that they just are not cut out to be a clinician then they should explore other options available that would exploit the medical degree without involving patient care.

bigeyedfish said:
Dude, get on the phone. Call every FP program in the country with an open spot and be willing to move anywhere. If you get to the end of the list and no luck, start with the list of open prelim spots. Again, don't limit yourself geographically, call everyone in the country. Getting a prelim spot will keep you loans in deferment. If that doesn't work, call a military recruiter. They would love to have you. They will probably pay a bunch of you loans in exchange for a certain number of years of commitments after residency. Plus military residents make somewhere around 80K. They always have a place for primary care docs. Your situation, although far from ideal, is not as bad as you make it. You will find a spot, but it will take work and sacrifice. ;)

Absolutely right. Remember, you got interviews despite your board scores. Some programs are unfilled and want to fill their positions. Some "filled" positions will open up for various reasons. I was told by a PD he may have opening in June because he typically gets a no show even with a signed contract. Do you have to stay in California?

By the way the match this year was VERY brutal....WAY WAY too brutal. More places got filled in this years match than in any other match...yes even in FM.

Open Places in FM as of today = 1 out of 2711 slots
Open places in IM as of today = 2 out of 4735 slots

It seems that residency competition is increasing with every passsing year....Thanks to our great Immigration policy :rolleyes:

Leukocyte said:
By the way the match this year was VERY brutal....WAY WAY too brutal. More places got filled in this years match than in any other match...yes even in FM.

Open Places in FM as of today = 1 out of 2711 slots
Open places in IM as of today = 2 out of 4735 slots

It seems that residency competition is increasing with every passsing year....Thanks to our great Immigration policy :rolleyes:

lol

bafootchi said:

Those numbers are straight out of the NRMP's "scramble list". Anyone who had to scramble received that list of programs (which is updated every 10 minutes since scramble time began).

Unfilled FM slots on March 14 = 404/2711
Unfilled FM slots Today = 1/2711

Unfilled IM slots on March 14 = 99/4735
Unfilled IM slots Today = 2/4735

Last year's match was even tougher:

Unfilled FM slots in post-match 2005 = 200/2761
Unfilled IM slots in post-match 2005 = 45/4768 !!!!!!!

doctorsquared said:
Absolutely right. Remember, you got interviews despite your board scores. Some programs are unfilled and want to fill their positions. Some "filled" positions will open up for various reasons. I was told by a PD he may have opening in June because he typically gets a no show even with a signed contract. Do you have to stay in California?
No. Just private message me about the info please.

As of today I signed a contract and have work starting June in a really good FP program!!! Im so happy. Thanks for every ones reply's to this thread but now the matter is closed. Thanks all and GOD bless. :( :eek: :oops: :) :D :thumbup:

FirstMANdown said:
As of today I signed a contract and have work starting June in a really good FP program!!! Im so happy. Thanks for every ones reply's to this thread but now the matter is closed. Thanks all and GOD bless. :( :eek: :oops: :) :D :thumbup:
WOW!!! Congratulations!!! That's wonderful news. :love:

FirstMANdown said:
That's gotta be a great feeling after you thought all was lost!