LINDA COSTANZO- a TRIBUTE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sga814

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Costanzo3.jpg

With M1 classes coming to a close, I don't know how I would've gotten through Physio without her book. All the crap the profs recommended as reading was.... nonsense filled with formulae and jargon. Especially Berne and Levy :sleep: . Dr. Costanzo put it in plain words and context that Medical Students, with the machine gunnery of information we're bombarded with, could easily understand. To be sure, some lectures went more in depth than the information presented in her book, but reading her book gives one the base necessary for destroying any other material.

All you VCU people- do you even KNOW how lucky you are to have her as a prof? Please thank her on behalf of America's medical students.

Anyways- Thank you Dr. Costanzo. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

sga814 said:
With M1 classes coming to a close, I don't know how I would've gotten through Physio without her book. All the crap the profs recommended as reading was.... nonsense filled with formulae and jargon. Especially Berne and Levy :sleep: . Dr. Costanzo put it in plain words and context that Medical Students, with the machine gunnery of information we're bombarded with, could easily understand. To be sure, some lectures went more in depth than the information presented in her book, but reading her book gives one the base necessary for destroying any other material.

All you VCU people- do you even KNOW how lucky you are to have her as a prof? Please thank her on behalf of America's medical students.

Anyways- Thank you Dr. Costanzo. Thank you.

Are you talking about her textbook or the BRS phys book?

In any case, Im sure Ill be thanking her next year as well!

WE LOVE DR. COSTANZO. Yay for Physio BRS!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's another :thumbup: for Costanzo's BRS Physiology.

I actually thought that her text was terrible. She explains basic physiologic principles well, but there is very little clinical correlation which is important to demonstrate how these principles are used, in a practical sense. It is good if used as a review book.

I was lucky enough to have Dr.Constanzo as one of our Physiology professors during grad school at MCV/VCU. She is super-sweet and an amazing prof. She refused to use powerpoint. She thought it was pure laziness and not the best way to teach. She used the blackboard and made sure we understood the concept before moving on to the next topic.

Our course syllabus from grad school was condensed. The offspring: BRS Physiology. It really is a great review book. The world wouldn't be the same without BRS Physiology (and BRS Path). Our world, of course...

MSIV said:
I actually thought that her text was terrible. She explains basic physiologic principles well, but there is very little clinical correlation which is important to demonstrate how these principles are used, in a practical sense. It is good if used as a review book.

If you don't mind me asking, what Physiology book do you think is a good book? I'm confused about your post because you indicate later that the Constanzo book is actually a good review book. Review book for what? To my knowledge, Constanza and Guyton's book are the top two physiology books out there. Opinions on that anyone?

I would also like to second sga814's tribute to Dr. Costanzo. As I have said before, her book is seriously easy enough for a high schooler to understand, and believe me, this is definitely a good thing when you are a medical student with plenty of other things to worry about.

Note: I'm talking about her full text. I have not yead read the BRS, but I have no doubt it will be crucial come Step I time...

I actually used a book called the "physiologic basis of primary care". From what I undertsand, Guyton's book is similar to this, ie much more clinical correlation to the practice of medicine.

After reading a chapter in costanzo, I had no idea how the information was applicable to treating patients. But as a review of basic physiology, it is good.

BRS physiology is what it is - a good REVIEW book. By no means is it a detailed account of physiology, but it is a very clear, plain, and simple review when you don't want to labor through the heavier texts and 400 pages of lecture notes.

DOCTORSAIB said:
I was lucky enough to have Dr.Constanzo as one of our Physiology professors during grad school at MCV/VCU. She is super-sweet and an amazing prof. She refused to use powerpoint. She thought it was pure laziness and not the best way to teach. She used the blackboard and made sure we understood the concept before moving on to the next topic.

I wish our phys profs felt the same way. Most students don't even bother going to class, but just study Dr. Costanzo's book. Our phys profs are pathetic and don't seem to care about students. Do I sound bitter? :rolleyes:

Here is a vote for the book, Constanzo Physiology. I find the book more complete than the BRS. The book is ridiculously easy to read and understand. Helping me with a solid physiology base. Constazno's book is better than Guyton for one reason, its condensed into a thinner book with everything you need to know about physio. Constanzo Physio is the BEST

MSIV said:
I actually used a book called the "physiologic basis of primary care". From what I undertsand, Guyton's book is similar to this, ie much more clinical correlation to the practice of medicine.

After reading a chapter in costanzo, I had no idea how the information was applicable to treating patients. But as a review of basic physiology, it is good.

There's also the Physiology: Cases and Problems BRS. All clinical.

DOCTORSAIB said:

Our course syllabus from grad school was condensed. The offspring: BRS Physiology. It really is a great review book. The world wouldn't be the same without BRS Physiology (and BRS Path). Our world, of course...
Just co-signing this post. Dr. Costanzo and her husband are both awesome professors and just all around nice people. I'm glad that I was able to have them as my profs this year in grad school.

\Dude, physiology is what it is-the normal function of our body-clinicl physiology does not exist unless you do eegs or something for muscular disorders. Pathophysiology which is usually a 2nd year class is what covers all the clinicl stuff about physiology. Also if you learn the physio well there is no clinical case that should be hard to understand if you know what is going on.
Guyton also sucks ass for clinicals and presentation. I read boron/boulpaeps, guyton, costanzo and berne levy during 2nd year-I loved physio, took it a lot in undergrad and studied it a lot in medschool . I can assure everyone-there is nothing that is not in costanzo that other books have. I would say the only thing if you are set on having "clinical" stuff with your physio book-then pick up boulpaep/borns Medical Physiology-they have hundreds of clinical boxes in each chapter that is all pathology/pathophys. But I would not define a physio text book whether or not it has a bunch of clinicals cause that is not in the realm of physiology-like i said normal physiology is testing membrane potentials or eegs or stuff like that-ok so maybe if you have cystic fibrosis and a negative sweat chloride test and want to confirm the diag you could do a transepithelial membrane potential test over the nasal mucosa and that would technically be a medical application of pure physiology.
Bottom line i can assure you after reading every page of every main text-costanzo includes EVERYTHING-you will not miss one thing by only reading costanzo-and you are actualy wrong-it has a fair amount ofpathophys references.

Reactions: 1 user
I <3 her physiology BRS....the point of the first two years is to learn basic science, not clinical stuff. That's what MS3 and MS4 are for.

TheCat said:
\Dude, physiology is what it is-the normal function of our body-clinicl physiology does not exist unless you do eegs or something for muscular disorders. Pathophysiology which is usually a 2nd year class is what covers all the clinicl stuff about physiology. Also if you learn the physio well there is no clinical case that should be hard to understand if you know what is going on.
Guyton also sucks ass for clinicals and presentation. I read boron/boulpaeps, guyton, costanzo and berne levy during 2nd year-I loved physio, took it a lot in undergrad and studied it a lot in medschool . I can assure everyone-there is nothing that is not in costanzo that other books have. I would say the only thing if you are set on having "clinical" stuff with your physio book-then pick up boulpaep/borns Medical Physiology-they have hundreds of clinical boxes in each chapter that is all pathology/pathophys. But I would not define a physio text book whether or not it has a bunch of clinicals cause that is not in the realm of physiology-like i said normal physiology is testing membrane potentials or eegs or stuff like that-ok so maybe if you have cystic fibrosis and a negative sweat chloride test and want to confirm the diag you could do a transepithelial membrane potential test over the nasal mucosa and that would technically be a medical application of pure physiology.
Bottom line i can assure you after reading every page of every main text-costanzo includes EVERYTHING-you will not miss one thing by only reading costanzo-and you are actualy wrong-it has a fair amount ofpathophys references.

Great points about a conceptual based subject!!