UIC or Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosdef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am frantically trying to decide whether I should attend either UIC or Rosaslind Franklin next year. I'm really not sure which school is better. However, I hear the UIC has a far greater clinical curriculum than Rosalind Franklin, which does not even expose students to any clinical work during thier first year. I hope someone can help me make this decision ASAP, since the deadline has already passed, and the schools need to know immediately

Members don't see this ad.

uic, hands down. some points to consider:

1. you'll be in chicago
2. UIC has a hospital and access to some great teaching hospitals in chicago. this is huge in my opinion as ive been able to go to the hospital with various doctors to shadow them, scrub in on surgeries, and volunteer
3. TONS of clinical exposure you're first and second year (having completed my m1 year, ive done close to 30-40 histories). as an m2, i spend 6 weeks in the hospital broken up throughout the year
4. uic has a good reputation with residency directors - they often comment on how strong our clinical skills are
5. UIC is a major research school so if you want research opps, uic is superior. uic just opened up a huge research building and is getting more and more research funding from the nih. currently, we're ranked in the 40s for research funding (i believe rfu is ranked in the 100s) and the dean's goal is to move us into the 30 within a few years.
6. if you're pro-active, you can do what you want in terms of leadership, research, etc. as an m1, i was on several executive boards, i did research (w/ an abstract and presentation and a pending publication), and ive developed close contacts with faculty and doctors in chicago
7. very diverse class - probably one of the most diverse in the state
plus many more i cant think of..

hit me up with qs.

peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not too impressed with Rosalind Franklin ever since I found out they were on probation (though not anymore)...I'd say UIC.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! Of course UIC!! Not only because I go there and LOVE it, but also RF has one of the worst/notorious reputations amongst medical schools. They're a joke! First of all, you'll HATE the location. In the middle of no where. The whole medical school is 2 buildings.
UIC has a phenomenal clinical training program. I just finished my 2nd year and I feel very comfortable starting rotations. Our program is one of the few that exposes us to clinical settings/patients starting our first year. You won't regret it. Plus, you'll be in Chicago!!!
(BTW, RF says it's in "north Chicago", which is not really north chicago but a city 30 minutes south of the Wisconsin border....)

hey guys- don't forget that (1) UIC hospital.. this year- almost went on an OSHA probation.. just narrowly dodged it though (2) perhaps some people like a suburban location... north chicago is certainy not in the middle of nowhere- there are many parks and it is quite peaceful and about a 25 minute drive to Chicago via the edens- in opposition to UIC... (3) how sure are you about that no clinical experience thing at RF? That sounds strange b/c nowadays most medical schools require something similar to our LPC... so i'd look into that one a little further, (4) RF is a private school- so I think that their facilities might be somewhat better than UIC's- although we have pretty sweet ass gyms (5) match lists are very similar... so consider all of the above b/f making a decision- unless you really really want to do research as per above post by the lovely chitown82... I also believe RF is affiliated with Mt. Sinai hospital... which is pretty ghetto- and hence will provide for "very good" clinical opportunities.. although can't say how that would differ from UIC too much

cons for RF will be brief b/c above posters were gung-ho about that- but what I do have to add is

RF is probably extremely competitive b/c of the Applied Physiology program- basically "post-bacs" who "need to get good grades or else they don't get into medical school" would do anything short of biting your head off for a good grade- notice I am speculating... but it makes sense..

RF was on probation- which I thought was kind of funny when I get that letter last year...

anyways- people from RF- support your school to make this thread two sided instead of 100% UIC!!

continuing from before...

8. uic is honors/pass/fail where as rfu is A, B, C, etc..in my opinion, i would think this means less competition at uic esp because if one knows they arent gonna honor a class, they dont have to compete for a B vs a C...they just need the pass...

sga814 said:
hey guys- don't forget that (1) UIC hospital.. this year- almost went on an OSHA probation.. just narrowly dodged it though (2) perhaps some people like a suburban location... north chicago is certainy not in the middle of nowhere- there are many parks and it is quite peaceful and about a 25 minute drive to Chicago via the edens- in opposition to UIC... (3) how sure are you about that no clinical experience thing at RF? That sounds strange b/c nowadays most medical schools require something similar to our LPC... so i'd look into that one a little further, (4) RF is a private school- so I think that their facilities might be somewhat better than UIC's- although we have pretty sweet ass gyms (5) match lists are very similar... so consider all of the above b/f making a decision- unless you really really want to do research as per above post by the lovely chitown82... I also believe RF is affiliated with Mt. Sinai hospital... which is pretty ghetto- and hence will provide for "very good" clinical opportunities.. although can't say how that would differ from UIC too much

cons for RF will be brief b/c above posters were gung-ho about that- but what I do have to add is

RF is probably extremely competitive b/c of the Applied Physiology program- basically "post-bacs" who "need to get good grades or else they don't get into medical school" would do anything short of biting your head off for a good grade- notice I am speculating... but it makes sense..

RF was on probation- which I thought was kind of funny when I get that letter last year...

anyways- people from RF- support your school to make this thread two sided instead of 100% UIC!!

If you're going to base one of the school's virtues on its "sweet ass" gym, HAVE YOU SEEN OURS?? It's brand new, has bball courts, gigantic and absolutely breath-taking.
Now, the more important stuff:
1.At least we HAVE a hospital. And, maybe our hospital almost dodged probation, but not OUR ENTIRE MEDICAL SCHOOL!! You guys got sued for a shady breast cancer trial, questioned about the ridiculous endowment the school has, and students with poor achievements who get in are coined the "$300,000 members". Not such a good rep.
2. I have been to RF to visit my college roommate who goes there, that place is dreadful! I'd drop out fast if I went there.
3. We are well known for our early clinical training. There's no question about it. RF is really not known for anything. They are the easiest school to get into for a reason.
4. If you're a in-state resident, do you know how much money you'd save??? And you're getting a better education.
5. Who cares of RF is affliated with another school in ANOTHER state! Why should you leave the state to get exposure to good opportunities when UIC can offer them here??

Ask around. Ask your counselors. No one would tell you to go to RF. That school is a last resort.

Good luck!!

Medgirl2008 said:
If you're going to base one of the school's virtues on its "sweet ass" gym, HAVE YOU SEEN OURS?? It's brand new, has bball courts, gigantic and absolutely breath-taking.
1.At least we HAVE a hospital. And, maybe our hospital almost dodged probation, but not OUR ENTIRE MEDICAL SCHOOL!! You guys got sued for a shady breast cancer trial, questioned about the ridiculous endowment the school has, and students with poor achievements who get in are coined the "$300,000 members". Not such a good rep.
2. I have been to RF to visit my college roommate who goes there, that place is dreadful! I'd drop out fast if I went there.
3. We are well known for our early clinical training. There's no question about it. RF is really not known for anything. They are the easiest school to get into for a reason.
4. If you're a in-state resident, do you know how much money you'd save??? And you're getting a better education.
5. Who cares of RF is affliated with another school in ANOTHER state! Why should you leave the state to get exposure to good opportunities when UIC can offer them here??

Ask around. Ask your counselors. No one would tell you to go to RF. That school is a last resort.

Good luck!!

ey now ... you didn't look at my signature- i'm at UIC.. i was just trying to think of what someone from RF "would" say in order to give the OP a little less bias from which to base a decision on. (notice when I was referring to us and ours and we I was referring to uic)

good luck on step 1!!

Medgirl2008 said:

Good luck!!

I dont think you read his statement very well, or at least understood it.

To OP: You should pick a school based on your own personal needs; It isn't really going to matter much where you went after you have an MD especially if you are ready to meet all the challenges in your residency. Look at the match lists and see if the school is suited in a direction you see others there going. I do know RFU is affiliated with 4 or 5 different hospitals within the city as well as the VA which is right next door to the main campus.

mosdef said:
Hey guys I am frantically trying to decide whether I should attend either UIC or Rosaslind Franklin next year. I'm really not sure which school is better. However, I hear the UIC has a far greater clinical curriculum than Rosalind Franklin, which does not even expose students to any clinical work during thier first year. I hope someone can help me make this decision ASAP, since the deadline has already passed, and the schools need to know immediately

Hey,

I am an M3 at UIC. If you are in-state, then there should be no question about it, go to UIC. If you are out-of-state, that's more debatable.

While UIC does offer excellent clinical rotations, the first 2 years could definitely use some tweaking to teach their students better. At Rosalind Franklin, I've heard great things about the curriculum during the first two years. The authors of BRS Pathology, a book which many med students use to study for boards, both teach at Rosalind Franklin and gear their teaching towards preparation for boards. In addition, with their applied physiology program, many of the professors are very well aware of how to teach students in terms of emphasis for areas that are important. In one example, in our pharmacology class at UIC, we were never really required to learn about specific drugs, but moreso general mechanisms of action, and this really hurt me on the pharmacology section of boards. I never did learn about specific side effects that commonly show up in the clinical wards.

Anyways, I can't fully comment on the differences between the schools as I don't attend RF, but if you are in-state, then there shouldn't really be a question.

Forcefield

ForceField said:
Hey,

I am an M3 at UIC. If you are in-state, then there should be no question about it, go to UIC. If you are out-of-state, that's more debatable.

While UIC does offer excellent clinical rotations, the first 2 years could definitely use some tweaking to teach their students better. At Rosalind Franklin, I've heard great things about the curriculum during the first two years. The authors of BRS Pathology, a book which many med students use to study for boards, both teach at Rosalind Franklin and gear their teaching towards preparation for boards. In addition, with their applied physiology program, many of the professors are very well aware of how to teach students in terms of emphasis for areas that are important. In one example, in our pharmacology class at UIC, we were never really required to learn about specific drugs, but moreso general mechanisms of action, and this really hurt me on the pharmacology section of boards. I never did learn about specific side effects that commonly show up in the clinical wards.

Anyways, I can't fully comment on the differences between the schools as I don't attend RF, but if you are in-state, then there shouldn't really be a question.

Forcefield

The M1/M2 curriculums are being revamped at UIC. For next year, the M1 sequence will be vastly different from the past. UIC is moving (ultimately) towards a systems-based curriculum and to help that tranition, all the major classes for the M1s next year (and I hear the M2 curriculum is the same way) will be synchronized by body-system/organ. For instance, when you study the heart in anatomy, you will simultaneously be studying the heart in physiology and in histology. Also, biochemistry and nutrition are being drastically altered next year.

I just finished my first year at UIC and I loved it. Yea, some classes could use some tweaking, but I've learned a ton! Compared to some of my friends in different med schools, UIC is often more intense in terms of curriculum/amount of classes, but this translates into more learning in my opinion.

Look above at my list of reasons to attend UIC...not one of them mention tuition as an advantage (although this is certainly another one) - there are a multitude of other great reasons to come to UIC.

chitown82 said:
The M1/M2 curriculums are being revamped at UIC. For next year, the M1 sequence will be vastly different from the past. UIC is moving (ultimately) towards a systems-based curriculum and to help that tranition, all the major classes for the M1s next year (and I hear the M2 curriculum is the same way) will be synchronized by body-system/organ. For instance, when you study the heart in anatomy, you will simultaneously be studying the heart in physiology and in histology. Also, biochemistry and nutrition are being drastically altered next year.

I just finished my first year at UIC and I loved it. Yea, some classes could use some tweaking, but I've learned a ton! Compared to some of my friends in different med schools, UIC is often more intense in terms of curriculum/amount of classes, but this translates into more learning in my opinion.

Look above at my list of reasons to attend UIC...not one of them mention tuition as an advantage (although this is certainly another one) - there are a multitude of other great reasons to come to UIC.

pfft- systems based??? what's next- PBL god forbid?!! man- i hope we still get the traditional curriculum for m2- cause i sure don't like being a guinea pig... i like being hazed just like everyone else..... as for the M1's i cannot imagine not having anatomy on the first day.... it's like ... wrong for many reasons- as for the current curriculum, personally i thought it was fine- except for profs not showing up to class!! that was funny, especially w/ the gunners not leaving for the entire period...expecting someone to waltz in...

and btw- chitown- your point is actually a disadvantage b/c this is the first year UIC is trying this- so they may not do it "quite right", and have many many bumps along the road (as usual) they weren't expecting- whereas with the old curriculum, they know exactly what happens year to year...

anyways- where are the RF people supporting their own school... enough with uic peeps- come on!!

Members don't see this ad :)
well from what ive heard, the content isn't changing too much - just the sequence, so things should be fine for next year's class...just more coherent in terms of the classes you are taking...

sga - it has been one sided so far, but perhaps there is a reason for that ;) plus, i dont want this thread to turn ugly!

Medgirl2008 said:

Good luck!!

i go to rfu..and i absolutely hate people like this! People from other chicago schools crap on our school soo much...eventhough our board scores rock. Who gives a **** if they have a post bac that lets people in? who cares if they have a linkage program with IIT?? I am proud to be a student of RFU.

I guess I will be the one to help argue for RFUMS. I just completed the AP program (part of the last class) and the school isn't as bad as people keep saying it is. APs are competitive but it only forces us to become smarter, and to the person who said we'd bite off each other's heads, it's not true. For the most part we are fairly calm since we are not incorporated into M1 curves. We just stress a lot working to keep our grades

A lot of people keep bringing up that we were on probabtion. Sure we WERE on probation, but that was removed. Though we do not have our own hospital we are affiliated with a few and that isn't much of an issue to me. The school has made great strides to improve ever since our probation was lifted.

The only downside for me is that we live in North Chicago, and it is boring. But that doesn't stop us from going downtown to live it up. Also, our tuition is ridiculously high, but alas, it is something we deal with.

So whether you go to UIC or RFUMS, it doesn't matter. You'll get a good education here as well as UIC. We match well, so don't think that since this is a small school you won't get into a good residency, it just depends on how much you put in.

ucsb101 said:
i go to rfu..and i absolutely hate people like this! People from other chicago schools crap on our school soo much...eventhough our board scores rock. Who gives a **** if they have a post bac that lets people in? who cares if they have a linkage program with IIT?? I am proud to be a student of RFU.

it does suck to have to deal with negativity...but it happens at all schools...some have more than others. shrug it off and do well on ur boards :)

Medgirl2008 said:

Good luck!!

Except for your 4th point, the only argument you make is that you have a major league ego and that you feel that RFU is minor league based on what little you know about RFU, matching, and what matters in medical school. I don't go to RFU, but I know it produces extremely well respected physicians. It gets ratted on SDN becuase of the misinformation dished out by haughty premeds.

Just keep in mind that one day you may even have to do rotations in the Chicago area with a few of the docs/students from there who "don't even have a hospital of their own". How "dreadful"! :rolleyes:

Also remember UIC's class is huge, at RF you'd probably know more of you classmates.

i would personally choose uic over rf because of the location and reputations. even if match results are the same, it cant be denied that uic has a better overall reputation then rf. but in terms of all illinois med schools i'de say the rankings would be:

1) northwestern: great location, great reputation
2) u of c: great reputation, crappy location
3) rush: the place i'll be going to this fall-right by uic's chicago campus but i think the smaller class size, better facilities, and affiliation with cook and rush hospitals make it a better choice then uic. it is more expensive though, the only down side.
4) uic chicago campus: still in chicago, good reputation. i'de honestly hate to be in the other uic locations; champaign, peioria or rockford. those towns are honestly dull in my opinion.
5) loyola: close to the city but still in a suburb which kind of sucks, plus i heard the school has money problems and was close to being bankrupt.
6) uic at champaign, rockford, or peoria: like i said before these places are dull to live in. youre so far from urban life. plus at rockford youre clinical years involve mostly following private practice doctors who are volunteering to teach as apposed to academic docs and residents.
7) rf: bad location, not the best reputation, still a lot better then siu, who's average gpa and mcat scores are one of the lowest in the nation for med schools.
8) siu

between uic and rf, i think the obvious choice is uic. i'de only choose rf if my choice was between rf ans siu or midwestern (the DO program). i'm kind of curious though, as a soon to be rush student, why did all of you uic people choose uic over rush?

I'd go to UIC. I turned down an invite to interview at RFU because of its lackluster reputation when stacked against other IL schools. Seriously, go for a personal second look if you're this conflicted. Talk to some of the students. I've talked to both and from what I gathered UIC has more opportunities all around.

Moniker said:
Interesting responses. By "interesting" of course I mean Medgirl2008 is either adorably insecure or is under the impression that "UIC" stands for "Harvard Medical School", and that bestows upon her omniscience and superiority. Which is also cute.

Anyway, obviously both schools have plusses and minuses and you should choose one based on your needs, no one needs to tell you that. RFU is a good school, not a research powerhouse or of particularly stellar reputation lately, but good opportunities DO exist. Most students do seem to be active during the year and over the summer, many do research either in-house, at a neighboring institution or hospital, or back in CA (many Californians here), and some just relax and do light shadowing or something. And because there are so many californians here desperate to get back to CA for the summer, that means the summer research fellowships aren't difficult to get here. They come with a decent-sized grant, and you do your own project over the 8 weeks in the summer and present findings in the fall at a research poster presentation fair. Because of the reputation issue (on probation from the LCME a year or so ago), a lot of students probably find it easy to take shots at RFU. The thing is, you can't really pick a school based on reputation. Do you have any idea what the reputation was of the school that physician you shadowed and respect so much was like when he attended? No, not really. You're not deciding between Dartmouth and RFU, it's UIC and RFU. While obviously it's not a GOOD indication about the school, the probation's gone and the school's in a good place. The common knowledge around here is that the probation was largely due to financial reasons. Tuition was pretty high and they didn't get much (still don't, relatively but it's getting better) grant money. Student indebtedness was so high probably mostly due to the AP program, which is basically another year of private school tuition dollars added to the total bill (5 years instead of 4). They cut that program (or at least cut it back) to curtail that and probably also because of silly premeds who think it's an "easy in" to medical school. The reality is that there are plenty of combined degree M.S./M.D. programs, and the only difference is that at CMS there is no forgiveness for unprofessional behavior or low grades if you plan to transition from the AP year to the M.D. program. It is also a myth that it's an "easy in" for people. It's been time-tested that AP students do well, usually better than the regular M.D. students in their education (grades, boards, residency) since they are subject to rigorous filtering. That's not to say RFU is better or worse for having gotten rid of it, I'm just addressing common attitudes from people. As for your specific concern about exposure to clinical setting in the first year...well they do have Introduction to Clinical Medicine as a year-long course where clinical skills are taught on standardized patients, etc., and facilitate shadowing, various school volunteer work in a clinical role, and 2nd years certainly get out in the clinics. It's there if you want it.

As for the more positive things you hear about - you constantly hear RFU students talk about residency matches and board scores. I mean, it's true, they do very well in both. I won't belabor that. Another thing are the facilities (which Medgirl doesn't seem to like based on her vast experience of what medical campuses are like) which are spacious and new, lots of new lab space, even the old facilities are pretty good. RFU doesn't have any undergraduate programs, so it's only health professional students (MD, DPM, PA, PT, etc.) on campus. It's not a large scale university like UIC, it's a small private campus. You're surrounded by a small cohort of like-minded professional students ("professional" doesn't apply to everyone, obviously, but whatever. you can surround yourself with whoever you want). Another thing is that we do have some really great faculty. I would say for every core curriculum class, there's at least two or three lecturers who are fantastic and blow you away. Those are the ones that everyone loves and make the learning process engaging. Every school has good and bad profs. So does RFU, but I'm pretty proud of the good ones here.

So I guess the best thing I can offer is to talk to as many people as possible who are ACTUALLY STUDENTS and have them tell you about THEIR school. If someone's defining THEIR school by how much they think it's better than X School of Medicine, obviously they feel like they have to stratify themselves against someone to make themselves look good.

Personally, I couldn't be happier. People are also happy at UIC.

Well said. Especially about AP, there is nothing about it being an "easy in" to get into med school. You need to stay above the average med school average just to survive.

Medgirl2008 said:
If you're going to base one of the school's virtues on its "sweet ass" gym, HAVE YOU SEEN OURS?? It's brand new, has bball courts, gigantic and absolutely breath-taking.Our Gym is pretty nice to at RFU!!! + we have a pool at the woodlands in the summer whichis really well maintained!!! if you go jogging, the landscape around here and lake bluff is beautiful!
1.At least we HAVE a hospital. And, maybe our hospital almost dodged probation, but not OUR ENTIRE MEDICAL SCHOOL!! You guys got sued for a shady breast cancer trial, questioned about the ridiculous endowment the school has, and students with poor achievements who get in are coined the "$300,000 members". Not such a good rep.We actually ARE affiliated with the advocate system + are affiliated with lots of different type of hospitals downtown, private+ gov't owned+ the VA BEAT THAT!We got off probation in a year, many other US school's were on probation too... we got off VERY fast! oh and don't tell me that no other school has never been involved in some sort of law suit! even your precious UIC!what are you talking about 300,000 dollar members? I don't know ANYONE that got in to the school AP or not with BAD grades simply because they paid their way in!?!??!?! if you can't hack it here you do get kicked out GASP!
2. I have been to RF to visit my college roommate who goes there, that place is dreadful! I'd drop out fast if I went there.Beautiful campus, I lived here 2 yrs with NO car! and still enjoyed myself....
3. We are well known for our early clinical training. There's no question about it. RF is really not known for anything. They are the easiest school to get into for a reason.Easy to get in to? I know plenty of interviwees who were rejected?!?!?!?....
4. If you're a in-state resident, do you know how much money you'd save??? And you're getting a better education.This is the only statement I agree with... but its true for all state schools.......
5. Who cares of RF is affliated with another school in ANOTHER state! Why should you leave the state to get exposure to good opportunities when UIC can offer them here??Great exposure at RF, we DO get patient exposure in our first year, and you can get credit for it too!!!! PLUS we have simulated patients who give you feedback and you can see yourself on DVD etc...... its a VERY nice system

Ask around. Ask your counselors. No one would tell you to go to RF. That school is a last resort.Last resort? I turned down other schools to go here (RFU) and am VERY happy with the school, ESPECIALLY with the financial aid program they have for international students and the fact that they FROZE tuition

BOTTOM LINE: RFU is a great school, but if I were you I would go to the school that saves the most $$$$... if you're not in-state the obvious choice is RFU, if you are.... I would go with saving $$$$$$

Medgirl2008 said:
1.At least we HAVE a hospital. And, maybe our hospital almost dodged probation, but not OUR ENTIRE MEDICAL SCHOOL!! You guys got sued for a shady breast cancer trial, questioned about the ridiculous endowment the school has, and students with poor achievements who get in are coined the "$300,000 members". Not such a good rep. !!

POOR !! Achievement? WHat the H*ll are you talking about? The student stats for those entering RFU are comparable to those for UIC. The schools endowment came into question because of high tuition (They were getting some of their revenue from tution). That has changed and is changing - there is a 5 year tution freeze and more students are on school sponsered scholarship than ever before.
Medgirl2008 said:

WHat is dreadfull about it? Just south of the school is realestate worth millions. It may be a boring place but certainly not dreadful. Futhermore, as a med student you wont even have the time to party that much so whats the big deal about being downtown.

Medgirl2008 said:

This is the "dummest" assertion Ive read on this thread. No med school is easy to get into. RFU has more applicant every year than Harvard does, thus making it very competitive. The competition may not be based on very high stats but more on number of applicants. with 3.5/30 stats I don't think thats easy to get in.

Medgirl2008 said:

How are you measuring this better education? RFUs residency match list is comparable to top schools so if anything their students must be doing pretty good.

Medgirl2008 said:

Good luck!!

You sound like an immature premed.

Orth2006 said:
POOR !! Achievement? WHat the H*ll are you talking about? The student stats for those entering RFU are comparable to those for UIC. The schools endowment came into question because of high tuition (They were getting some of their revenue from tution). That has changed and is changing - there is a 5 year tution freeze and more students are on school sponsered scholarship than ever before.

WHat is dreadfull about it? Just south of the school is realestate worth millions. It may be a boring place but certainly not dreadful. Futhermore, as a med student you wont even have the time to party that much so whats the big deal about being downtown.

This is the "dummest" assertion Ive read on this thread. No med school is easy to get into. RFU has more applicant every year than Harvard does, thus making it very competitive. The competition may not be based on very high stats but more on number of applicants. with 3.5/30 stats I don't think thats easy to get in.

How are you measuring this better education? RFUs residency match list is comparable to top schools so if anything their students must be doing pretty good.

You sound like an immature premed.

Medgirl2008 means I graduate MED SCHOOL in 2008, and I'm currently a M3. So basically you don't know what you're talking about. Ask next time before you make assumptions. You sound like an immature person.

I actually SURE do know what I'm talking about. RF having as many applicants as Harvart is completely circumstantial. There are tons of applicants on the lower end of the spectrum who apply to RF hoping to get in some medical school. So their applicant numbers are high not because they're a coveted program, because some are desperate to get in.
Secondly, 3.5/30 AVERAGE is on the lower end. That means some people are way under that. I personally know 3 applicants who got into RF but DID NOT get into UIC, and they were in state applicants!! I personally know SIX current students as RF that went to the same undergrad as I did in California. They were the "slackers" in our group. Most of them did that AP program, which is nothing more than a way for RF to con poor students out of $50Gs and NOT give them a degree.

No one is "partying" in med school. I didn't pick UIC so I can "party" downtown. But I'll tell you this, I do want to feel like I'm going to a real institution; a real university with their own hospital, an undergrad, numerous facilities and a welcoming environment. The Illinois Medical District, which UIC and UIC hospital are a part of, has the highest concentration of medical facilities in the WORLD! That's why it feels good to go there. NOT a school that is comprised of TWO buildings in the middle of nowhere. What is RF known for?..........oh yeah, being put on probation.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY Orth2006, you should reevalutate who is saying something dumb when you cant even SPELL the word "dumbest". You spell it d-u-m-b-e-s-t, not "dummest" ( Your new name should be Need-to-go-back-to-grade-school2006)

Hey Medgirl, we are all really proud of how smart you, and the wonderful institution that you attend.

Medgirl2008 said:
Medgirl2008 means I graduate MED SCHOOL in 2008, and I'm currently a M3. So basically you don't know what you're talking about. Ask next time before you make assumptions. You sound like an immature person.

I actually SURE do know what I'm talking about. RF having as many applicants as Harvart is completely circumstantial. There are tons of applicants on the lower end of the spectrum who apply to RF hoping to get in some medical school. So their applicant numbers are high not because they're a coveted program, because some are desperate to get in.
Secondly, 3.5/30 AVERAGE is on the lower end. That means some people are way under that. I personally know 3 applicants who got into RF but DID NOT get into UIC, and they were in state applicants!! I personally know SIX current students as RF that went to the same undergrad as I did in California. They were the "slackers" in our group. Most of them did that AP program, which is nothing more than a way for RF to con poor students out of $50Gs and NOT give them a degree.

No one is "partying" in med school. I didn't pick UIC so I can "party" downtown. But I'll tell you this, I do want to feel like I'm going to a real institution; a real university with their own hospital, an undergrad, numerous facilities and a welcoming environment. The Illinois Medical District, which UIC and UIC hospital are a part of, has the highest concentration of medical facilities in the WORLD! That's why it feels good to go there. NOT a school that is comprised of TWO buildings in the middle of nowhere. What is RF known for?..........oh yeah, being put on probation.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY Orth2006, you should reevalutate who is saying something dumb when you cant even SPELL the word "dumbest". You spell it d-u-m-b-e-s-t, not "dummest" ( Your new name should be Need-to-go-back-to-grade-school2006)

At RF "harvard" is spelled h-a-r-v-a-r-d not "harvart"

cubguy83 said:
medgirl you need a man fast!!!!!
+pity+

(it's my first time using that one!!)

Medgirl2008 said:
Medgirl2008 means I graduate MED SCHOOL in 2008, and I'm currently a M3. So basically you don't know what you're talking about. Ask next time before you make assumptions. You sound like an immature person. )

Thats the exact point - You are a M3 student acting like an immature pre-med.

Medgirl2008 said:
I actually SURE do know what I'm talking about. RF having as many applicants as Harvart is completely circumstantial. There are tons of applicants on the lower end of the spectrum who apply to RF hoping to get in some medical school. So their applicant numbers are high not because they're a coveted program, because some are desperate to get in.)

Any US med school is coveted. While every applicant would welcome the luxury to choose amongst med schools, not everyone gets that opportunity. The fact that they apply to several schools (that they would likely go to if accepted by the way) does not make them desperate. Its comments like this that make you immature. Getting into med school is hard PERIOD!! Every applicant has a level of anxiety because there are no guarantees.

Medgirl2008 said:
Secondly, 3.5/30 AVERAGE is on the lower end. That means some people are way under that. I personally know 3 applicants who got into RF but DID NOT get into UIC, and they were in state applicants!! I personally know SIX current students as RF that went to the same undergrad as I did in California. They were the "slackers" in our group. Most of them did that AP program, which is nothing more than a way for RF to con poor students out of $50Gs and NOT give them a degree..)

But RFU average stats are similar to UIC's. So if you condemn the school based on that condemn also UIC. Their stats arent any better. Plus these same "slackers" end up with good residency matches so they arent as slow as you think.

Medgirl2008 said:
No one is "partying" in med school. I didn't pick UIC so I can "party" downtown. But I'll tell you this, I do want to feel like I'm going to a real institution; a real university with their own hospital, an undergrad, numerous facilities and a welcoming environment. The Illinois Medical District, which UIC and UIC hospital are a part of, has the highest concentration of medical facilities in the WORLD! That's why it feels good to go there. NOT a school that is comprised of TWO buildings in the middle of nowhere. What is RF known for?..........oh yeah, being put on probation. )

RFU has regained full accreditation. Is there no room for improvement in your perfect world? Fine they are not as endowed as UIC but their quality of education is comparable. These medical facilities you boast of are for research that mostly faculty conduct. Its not like you are learning anything different. Medical training has been standardized. There are a few differences in the delivery e.g. Organ-based versus discipline based curriculum. Otherwise there is nothing inherently unique about the medical education you get at UIC versus what you get at RFU. Plus if the argument is that UIC has cutting edge research then be aware that any new research finding will be published for all med schools to incorporate.

Medgirl2008 said:

If you were observant you would have noticed that I put the word in quotes. It was to lay emphasis on your "dumNESS"

Finally, its ok if RFU is not the school of your choice. But dont run it down because you don't fit in at RFU. Med school is what you make of it. Harvard is a very prestigous school but it isnt for everybody.

You of all people should know this. You are a M3 for goodness sake - certainly I would have expected more.

Medgirl2008 said:

Medgirl, get off your high horse. So you got into UIC, congrats, but there is no need for you to bash RFUMS. You think that all AP students are failures, but you know what, you don't know as much as you think you do. AP's are some of the hardest working students you will ever meet. Do you think we got conned into applying for the program? NO. We applied because we know this is how we get a chance to prove ourselves capable of making it in med school. So don't say that we are suckers that applied to be conned. I find that offensive to everyone who actually try to make it in to school with extra work rather than giving up.

I guess it just comes down to this, you think we are just a bunch of idiots who just got off probation that live in the middle of nowhere with no hospital. That's your opinion, but you know what, I'd rather be considered dim than someone who finds the need to make herself feel better about her situation by bashing someone else's.

Medgirl2008 said:

Well, you know what- I was one of those people who got into UIC but not into RF!!! :eek:

Medgirl2008 said:

Uhhhhhhhh slackers eh?!?!? that's why our boards scores are well above average and year after year we have some seriously HOT residency matches..... 'coincidence'?!?!? I THINK NOT! Anyhow, I CHOSE RF over other MED SCHOOLS...... and am very happy here. RFU's basic science teaching is great! and we get ALOT of choices 3rd year as we're affiliated with a lot of hospitals......

BOTTOM LINE: MEDGIRL..... I diagnose you as needing VITAMIN D. I. C. K.

laters ;)

ocean11 said:

laters ;)

you know, it's obvious that you're mad about what Medgirl said about RFU, but you can state your case without getting really ugly about it. There are obviously pros and cons to attending either school, and getting laid has nothing to do with it.

unless somebody can explain that one to me. how does "VITAMIN D.I.C.K." help?

:rolleyes:

You know, I was really trying to stay out of this but I can seem to help myself from responding.

#1 Reason to NOT attend UIC: Dealing with people like Medgirl2008. (Even though I'm sure the majority of the students would be just like those you'd find anywhere else, a few REALLY bad eggs can make the whole place stink.

A few more examples:

At a med school symposium where all the schools in Illinois were trying to attract pre-meds and offer information on their programs, I overheard an individual from their admissions office tell a prospective applicant that a B average from a state school was just as good or BETTER (he emphasized this) than straight A's from a private school. I have to say, having gone to a small, no-name liberal arts college I took offense at this. He was really snotty and condescending. Quite a few people at UIC seem to be very talented at making blanket judgements.

When my co-worker who is a physician from Albania was trying to get into a residency program, they told her IN HER INTERVIEW that she was a caucasian, blond female from the Midwest, so there was NO WAY she was going to get in. (She actually has dark brown hair, just dyes it blond, and is an immigrant with a noticable accent!) Sheesh.

Who needs this kind of crap. I could go on, but I won't. I will admit, I applied to UIC, but only because of the in-state tuition. I am glad I will be paying more $$, but going to Loyola.

I think we can all agree that chicago gets pretty damn cold.

IDforMe said:
You know, I was really trying to stay out of this but I can seem to help myself from responding.

#1 Reason to NOT attend UIC: Dealing with people like Medgirl2008. (Even though I'm sure the majority of the students would be just like those you'd find anywhere else, a few REALLY bad eggs can make the whole place stink.

haha.. that cant be the #1 reason. I go to UIC and medgirl is an exception. there is no need to poop on another school even if uic was top tier which it is def not! there are a bunch of smart, but modest people in my class. Of course there are some people who just wanna get their business done and thats fair too. to each his/her own rite? Like you said, few eggs can make the place stink, but the stink is not that much, plus in a class of 200 you are gonna find your niche!

Frankly UIC or RFU doesnt matter i think; if you are discussing NU and RFU or U chicago and RFU - yeah now that could possibly make a difference when applyin to residency. Its "top tier" schools and the "other" me thinks!

jus gotta do well wherever you go, my .02! :cool:

ocean11 said:

laters ;)

best mneumonic for fat soluble vitamins - DEAK ("dick" in german means "fat"... and it is homonym)

medicomel said:
you know, it's obvious that you're mad about what Medgirl said about RFU, but you can state your case without getting really ugly about it. There are obviously pros and cons to attending either school, and getting laid has nothing to do with it.

unless somebody can explain that one to me. how does "VITAMIN D.I.C.K." help?

:rolleyes:

how can I be mad at a ******? they taught us in school not to blame others for suffering from mental incompetence

PEACE :)

about to graduate from RFUMS got my 1st choice and worked with UIC peeps. most were quite cool unlike some of the tools on this thread.

Our class rocked the match but some people did go unmatched.

FWIW I would go to the school that is the cheapest. If all was the same I would go to UIC because moving between m2 and m3 yr blows. I lived downtown the whole time. As mentioned before it isnt like it is Harvard vs RFU.. IMO UIC is the next school as far as respect goes in chicago.

My opinion of rankings in Chicago..

U of C
NOrthwestern (though both are good NW students are soft due to the cush facilities)
Rush
Loyola
UIC
RFU

I think 1&2 are close then rush is clearly #3 and the bottom 3 are all about the same but based on rep RFU would be at the bottom of the 3 but not by much..

Say U of C is a 10, NW is a 9.5, Rush is a 7, and Loyola and UIC are a 4.5 and 4.25 with RFU at about a 4.0...

Our match list was pretty comparable to U of C's though.. BUt clearly they have a much better rep.

Lastly to the class of 2008 people you are newbie M3s and have no freaking clue as to whats up.

As far as hospital affiliations RFU is aligning itself closer with Lutheran and less with Mt Sinai..

BTW Northwestern sends their Surg residents to Mt Sinai for training and U of C and Res send residents there to train..

UIC has a well earned rep of taking their own.. read into that what you will. The UIC people I worked with were very nice competent and cool but clearly they were at the same level and NO better than the RFU people!

Anyways good luck.. if you have Qs PM me.

go where you feel comfortable. none of this crap matters. its all about your board scores, yo. :) every school has a few tools, just deal with it.

uic over finch for many of the reasons mentioned above (specifically by chitown). i disagree with ectopic about the rankings...my thoughts are:

uchicago (10)
nu (9)
rush/uic/loyola (5)
finch (2)

i definitely dont think rush is a clear #3. ive known a bunch of students from all of the chicago-land med schools and i think clinically, uic kids stand out and are very comparable in their clinical skills/knowledge to students from uchicago and nu. ive talked with half a dozen program directors and they consistently note how uic students do very well in residency because of the "sink or swim" curriculum that requires much independence/autonomy on the wards.i havent really heard this distinction about the other schools. i assume this is the case partialy because uchicago and nu students are at top 20ish schools and hence expected to do well; and since im sure they do very well, its no surprises and no need for distinction. however, since uic is a state school, the expectations are probably lower, but the "results" definitely exceed these expectations in the clinical environment.

overall, i think uic is a lot stronger than finch. i feel uic has a lot more opportunities as it is a major research school (along with nu and uchicago; uic also has some of the top researchers in the country in microbio among other depts; also, uic produces something like the 7th most amount of physicians that go into academia - behind schools like harvard, hopkins, etc), has a well developled hospital and clinic scene (being interested in psych, i know uic has one of the strongest psych depts in the midwest if not nationally as 8 or so of the top psych/neuropsyh faculty left uchicago within the past two years to join uic), and several other reasons (see many of the reasons listed in previous posts).

given the choice between uic and finch, about 90% of the people ive known picked uic over finch (for whatever reason).

EctopicFetus said:
about to graduate from RFUMS got my 1st choice and worked with UIC peeps. most were quite cool unlike some of the tools on this thread.

Our class rocked the match but some people did go unmatched.

FWIW I would go to the school that is the cheapest. If all was the same I would go to UIC because moving between m2 and m3 yr blows. I lived downtown the whole time. As mentioned before it isnt like it is Harvard vs RFU.. IMO UIC is the next school as far as respect goes in chicago.

My opinion of rankings in Chicago..

U of C
NOrthwestern (though both are good NW students are soft due to the cush facilities)
Rush
Loyola
UIC
RFU

I think 1&2 are close then rush is clearly #3 and the bottom 3 are all about the same but based on rep RFU would be at the bottom of the 3 but not by much..

Say U of C is a 10, NW is a 9.5, Rush is a 7, and Loyola and UIC are a 4.5 and 4.25 with RFU at about a 4.0...

Our match list was pretty comparable to U of C's though.. BUt clearly they have a much better rep.

Lastly to the class of 2008 people you are newbie M3s and have no freaking clue as to whats up.

As far as hospital affiliations RFU is aligning itself closer with Lutheran and less with Mt Sinai..

BTW Northwestern sends their Surg residents to Mt Sinai for training and U of C and Res send residents there to train..

UIC has a well earned rep of taking their own.. read into that what you will. The UIC people I worked with were very nice competent and cool but clearly they were at the same level and NO better than the RFU people!

Anyways good luck.. if you have Qs PM me.

trapperjohn said:
1) northwestern: great location, great reputation
2) u of c: great reputation, crappy location
3) rush: the place i'll be going to this fall-right by uic's chicago campus but i think the smaller class size, better facilities, and affiliation with cook and rush hospitals make it a better choice then uic. it is more expensive though, the only down side.
4) uic chicago campus: still in chicago, good reputation. i'de honestly hate to be in the other uic locations; champaign, peioria or rockford. those towns are honestly dull in my opinion.
5) loyola: close to the city but still in a suburb which kind of sucks, plus i heard the school has money problems and was close to being bankrupt.
6) uic at champaign, rockford, or peoria: like i said before these places are dull to live in. youre so far from urban life. plus at rockford youre clinical years involve mostly following private practice doctors who are volunteering to teach as apposed to academic docs and residents.
7) rf: bad location, not the best reputation, still a lot better then siu, who's average gpa and mcat scores are one of the lowest in the nation for med schools.
8) siu

i'm kind of curious though, as a soon to be rush student, why did all of you uic people choose uic over rush?
ooh i like this thread! as an out-of-stater, i had been very curious about what people (i'm just quoting trapperjohn here, i know others have made lists) thought of the chicago-area schools. anyway, i'm going to rush! people seemed super nice there -- huge factor when i went to interviews. except, i wish people would stop saying "where?" and i say "rush. like the band" so they can either say "oh" or "i didn't know they had a medical school," followed by "isn't chicago cold?" to which i reply "yeah, in the winter."

oh, back to the topic at hand: i would choose uic over rfu only because i like to feel more like i was at a big institution. if it weren't for that, i would choose rfu, because people there are nicer (or so it seems from this thread) and because their matchlist looks real yummy. i haven't seen a uic matchlist yet though. (i had a link to the 2005 matchlists but now it doesn't work.)

ocean11 said:
Uhhhhhhhh slackers eh?!?!? that's why our boards scores are well above average and year after year we have some seriously HOT residency matches..... 'coincidence'?!?!? I THINK NOT! Anyhow, I CHOSE RF over other MED SCHOOLS...... and am very happy here. RFU's basic science teaching is great! and we get ALOT of choices 3rd year as we're affiliated with a lot of hospitals......

laters ;)
Oh boy. That last comment was WAY over the line. I diagnose YOU as needing T.I.M.E.O.U.T. . Good luck.

Please, let's try to keep the mudslinging out of this thread.

Both schools are good. If you are out-of-state, pick the school that best fits your needs. :)

If you are in-state, go to UIC, duh.