The effect of being a URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The second thread in my "The effect of _____" series, (previous one, effect of age) I want to investigate what the effect of being a URM is on med school apps. I just want to point out that I'm not here to parade being URM status or asking for fights, but just about everyone who posted on my MDApplicants.com profile (link below) is saying that I should apply to more "top-tier" schools, whereas I thought I stood little chance.

Anyway, a couple of questions I'd like to have answered (without bickering if possible)

1) Since being a URM seems to have some effect on an application, what does it do to the LizzyM scale?

2) In my MDApplicants.com profile specifically, why is it that 3-4 people have said that I should apply to "top-tier" schools, especially when my stats are below their averages? I'm not special in any way.

For now, that's all the questions I have. And please try to keep this thread clean! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The second thread in my "The effect of _____" series, (previous one, effect of age) I want to investigate what the effect of being a URM is on med school apps. I just want to point out that I'm not here to parade being URM status or asking for fights, but just about everyone who posted on my MDApplicants.com profile (link below) is saying that I should apply to more "top-tier" schools, whereas I thought I stood little chance.

Anyway, a couple of questions I'd like to have answered (without bickering if possible)

1) Since being a URM seems to have some effect on an application, what does it do to the LizzyM scale?

2) In my MDApplicants.com profile specifically, why is it that 3-4 people have said that I should apply to "top-tier" schools, especially when my stats are below their averages? I'm not special in any way.

For now, that's all the questions I have. And please try to keep this thread clean! Thank you.

RealMD, I like you. You're a good kid. I think you'll have much success in life and in the med school application process. I'm saying this now because you've just started a flamewar and it won't be pretty. Other people will now say some not-so-nice things about you and about each other and about URMs and racism and all sorts of other topics that have been rehashed about a thousand times. Anyway, you live, you learn.

BAD THINGS!!!! LOUD NOISES!!!! DIRTY WORDS!!!!

ok... that felt good:laugh:

hey man, being a URM helps your app a lot. some think it's justified, others don't. but you don't need to feel guilty about it or look into the sociology behind affirmative action because it's not like you made the rules... even if a guy thinks it is totally unfair, he can only be mad at the system, not you. :luck:gl

Members don't see this ad :)
RealMD, I like you. You're a good kid. I think you'll have much success in life and in the med school application process. I'm saying this now because you've just started a flamewar and it won't be pretty. Other people will now say some not-so-nice things about you and about each other and about URMs and racism and all sorts of other topics that have been rehashed about a thousand times. Anyway, you live, you learn.

Perhaps I shoul have done a "effect of your MCAT" or "effect of your GPA" thread first, but I would hope that people here on SDN can take issues like this seriously, because medicine itself is full of topics like these that people want to run away from as fast as possible, but they won't get solved that way.

Anyway, I fully realize that I probably started a flame war. Fire-******ant suits for everyone!

polysyllabic.jpg

*whew* Now that that is out, I am sure your URM will help, because you represent what that school desires. Some schools desire URM more than others. Some people are honestly put off by these desires... as for me, I am not a fan of URM status, because I believe socioeconomic disadvantage is a little more important than racial disadvantage. However, I won't be like most people and blame it on "URMs that kicked me out of my spot." In my opinion, at least schools are doing something to diversify their campuses. I just think it may be a tad bit misguided.

It will help, though, and you probably should go all the way.

well you list is very small, unless you really just want to get into a texas school. If your interested in other schools then definitely apply to a few of your dream schools.

well you list is very small, unless you really just want to get into a texas school. If your interested in other schools then definitely apply to a few of your dream schools.

Lol, I'm trying to ask why, though! I haven't the slightest clue what kind of schools I could get into outside of Texas (even after reading the MSAR a few times). Most Texas residents stay in Texas they have the stats to apply elsewhere (and usually it's a top school anyway, which I don't think I have the stats for).

If I see aniother URM thread, I will throw up.

Lol, I'm trying to ask why, though! I haven't the slightest clue what kind of schools I could get into outside of Texas (even after reading the MSAR a few times). Most Texas residents stay in Texas they have the stats to apply elsewhere (and usually it's a top school anyway, which I don't think I have the stats for).

I suspect you have a shot at at least one school in Texas. You can always reapply the following year to schools outside of Texas if you are not successful in the first cycle.

From my observations, being a URM with those numbers and EC's WILL grant you interviews from top tiers; however, you will NOT be a shoe-in by any means. This is PARTICULARLY the case if you don't show an interest in the underserved and/or didn't attend an HBCU feeder school for undergrad (or seemingly a decent HBCU school in general).

disadvantaged URM > URM's from an HBCU feeder with expressed commitment (or interest) to the underserved (or very extensive other EC's/research) >> URM with just the typical EC's and none of the aforementioned qualities.

If you don't have any of the aforementioned basically what will happen is the top tiers will have you fly out for interviews ONLY TO REJECT YOU Post-Interview (or waitlist)! However, you may have a chance of at least getting into one..

I suspect you have a shot at at least one school in Texas. You can always reapply the following year to schools outside of Texas if you are not successful in the first cycle.

there's no way you don't get into a school this cycle as a urm w/ good #'s. from my observations, you WILL have multiple acceptances... just don't take a cocky attitude to the interview

If you have solid #'s and ec's with URM status, it definitely helps at least get your foot in the door. My profile is a decent example, check it out if you want.

:D:laugh::D:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly and truly believe that the OP is a troll. Has anybody noticed trolling is becoming more elaborate??

I honestly and truly believe that the OP is a troll. Has anybody noticed trolling is becoming more elaborate??

Any reason why your avatar is a jar of mayo? Planning on going to Mayo Medical School? I find that entertaining.

You're calling me a troll because I'm asking stuff that I know will cause a flame war? I would have thought that people that are going to be in medicine could handle something like this without blowing up.

As far as 2) goes, I've never researched the topic because the whole URM debate doesn't really interest me, but I'd assume top schools like to say "we have X amount of URM students." It makes them look like they are equal oppurtunity. I've looked at your application on mdapps. I've read a lot of your posts. You have a good head on your shoulders, it seems. Your stats are very good. You are an URM. Apply to some real reaches, you will probably have some success.

Oh yeah, one more thing: if you still can't understand why simply being a URM would increase your chance of acceptance into medical school, you have been living in a bubble. It's kind of common sense, don't you think?

Oh yeah, one more thing: if you still can't understand why simply being a URM would increase your chance of acceptance into medical school, you have been living in a bubble. It's kind of common sense, don't you think?

Meh, I just wanted some outside input before I drop the issue once and for all. It's not that I'm completely oblivious to it, I just wanted more info because it sure as hell won't be something I can find in a book.

Hey OP, I gather you're relatively new to SDN (not only from your listed join date, but also from the nature of some of your questions). I'll offer you two modest suggestions to help you find the answers you're looking for:

1) Visit the "Underrepresented in Healthcare" forum... no guarantees, but you *might* discover a few things that clarify some of your confusion:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=219

2) As one pre-med URM to another, I would be happy to help you shed some light on these issues if you have a genuine interest in sorting them out - or at least direct you to the right resources, e.g. web links or others in this network who can most appropriately address some of your questions. PM me if you're interested.

Good Luck!

:luck:

-MSTPbound

Each school has its own policies regarding URMs and admissions. Some don't consider it at all while some consider it quite a bit. The best way to find out is to go to the individual schools' websites and see how much of an emphasis they place on "diversity" yadda yadda yadda and then maybe find out if they have large minority populations in their city/state/general vicinity. If the school seeks to admit a diverse class that will eventually [hopefully] serve the surrounding population, then they will probably place more emphasis on admitting people that come from similar background/ethnicities as those in their surrounding population. This could work backwards as well - if the there is an overrepresentative number of physicians from a certain minority group, then you aren't exactly a URM anymore. If the school doesn't use any form of affirmative action (I believe that the Michigan schools dont), then they will evaluate all applicants the same regardless of their race. There is a lot of threads like this and every single one you will see a lot of people say "beating the dead horse" and "flamewaring" and all that jazz, but just ignore that BS. I posted because I had a serious response to a seemingly serious question. hope that helps :luck:

Mmk. Finally I get the kind of info I was looking for! Look forward to more "the effect of ______" threads! :D

For the OP.

I'm not sure if SDN is the right place for you too be seeking the type of information you're looking for. While SDN is a good resource that you schould utilize, it is still an anonymous internet forum, and there is no way of verifying anything that people post here.

I remember your last thread, and I think that especially in your case as you are a unique applicant, your best bet would be to contact the schools you are interested in directly. Because what is true or what has been true for someone else, may not be true for you. Since you are a URM, I would suggest you contact the Multicultural Affairs office. I've met several directors who were very interested in sitting down with prospective applicants to go over they transcript, scores, and overall application to guage whether or not the person would fit in at their school.

I say this because I'm also a "different" sort of student, and I asked for advice, and alot of what I was told was frankly, wrong. And furthermore contradicted by several adcom members I spoke to. Things that ppl here told me were weaknesses were actually strengths. SOo alot of times ppl may mean well, but don't know much. Every school is different, and many times, the general statements that are thrown around SDN just don't apply anywhere.

Nonetheless, good luck with your process!!!

Mmk. Finally I get the kind of info I was looking for! Look forward to more "the effect of ______" threads! :D

According to a reliable but anonymous source, the third installment in your series is: "The effect of being a hermaphrodite on gender equity issues in the medical school admissions process?"

For the OP.

I'm not sure if SDN is the right place for you too be seeking the type of information you're looking for. While SDN is a good resource that you schould utilize, it is still an anonymous internet forum, and there is no way of verifying anything that people post here.

I remember your last thread, and I think that especially in your case as you are a unique applicant, your best bet would be to contact the schools you are interested in directly. Because what is true or what has been true for someone else, may not be true for you. Since you are a URM, I would suggest you contact the Multicultural Affairs office. I've met several directors who were very interested in sitting down with prospective applicants to go over they transcript, scores, and overall application to guage whether or not the person would fit in at their school.

I say this because I'm also a "different" sort of student, and I asked for advice, and alot of what I was told was frankly, wrong. And furthermore contradicted by several adcom members I spoke to. Things that ppl here told me were weaknesses were actually strengths. SOo alot of times ppl may mean well, but don't know much. Every school is different, and many times, the general statements that are thrown around SDN just don't apply anywhere.

Nonetheless, good luck with your process!!!

What kind of questions would I ask at the Multicultural Office?

You are 18 years old...but you seem to have the demeanor of a 24 yr old.

I'm confused.

Do you do anything for fun?

Sorry, you are probably not a troll. It's just that, you listed "African American URM" as the first detail of one of your first threads, as if it was paramount to your application; its just a little sketchy. I've never, ever, in all my years on SDN, seen something so conspicious.

Also, you were called a troll on that thread too, and gave an all too nonchalant denial. I'm just surprised you knew what a troll is on SDN, since you are new.

Sorry again. You are definitely, definitely, NOT a troll.

You're calling me a troll because I'm asking stuff that I know will cause a flame war? I would have thought that people that are going to be in medicine could handle something like this without blowing up.

Very fake. Very troll. No doubt. So may I suggest that we all move on to helping those who really need genuine advice. Such as folks who really are applying to medical school in 2008 and could benefit from our experience.

Sorry, you are probably not a troll. It's just that, you listed "African American URM" as the first detail of one of your first threads, as if it was paramount to your application; its just a little sketchy. I've never, ever, in all my years on SDN, seen something so conspicious.

Also, you were called a troll on that thread too, and gave an all too nonchalant denial. I'm just surprised you knew what a troll is on SDN, since you are new.

Sorry again. You are definitely, definitely, NOT a troll.

Lol, trolls on forums are universal. Besides, I've seen real troll threads like "I have a 39 MCAT and a 4.0GPA, do I have a shot at Harvard or Johns Hopkins?" :rolleyes:

Any case, I'm not really out here to prove anything, just wanted info. In the future, I guess I'll stick to less flaming topics.

You are 18 years old...but you seem to have the demeanor of a 24 yr old.

I'm confused.

Do you do anything for fun?

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing... I'll take it as a compliment anyway. :p

Lol, I can't remember the last time I had fun. Studying for MCATs and taking 17 hours at the same time is social suicide!

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing... I'll take it as a compliment anyway. :p

Lol, I can't remember the last time I had fun. Studying for MCATs and taking 17 hours at the same time is social suicide!

And that is why you are a long shot to get into any medical school this year. Learn to have fun, to blow off a little steam. Otherwise, you are at risk for burning out, and/ordeveloping an addiction or other maladaptive behavior.