Effect of bad internet connection during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just1a

Reaction score
Recently had an interview (first of two) where the connection was not very stable. I had a few instances where the interviewer had to ask me to repeat my answers. She did repeat my answers back to me and took a lot of notes, which I suppose mean that she was able to hear my answers. Second interview went much more smoothly and I didn't have to repeat myself at all so I'm not sure if it was me or the the interviewer. I don't think there's anything I can do about it now but how would this be viewed by the committee?

Members don't see this ad.

Really hard to speculate. It probably would not hurt to reach out to the admin team or dean to ask if the interviewer reported any technical issues hindering the interview and to say that if so you would be happy to try again from a different location. Maybe they'll say that it went fine and wasn't a hinderance, or maybe they'll agree that it was distracting and ask for you to go again.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's too hard to troubleshoot and figure out if it's your connection or your interviewer's connection. If it were the interviewer's, it would be up to him(?) to inform the admissions team so that they can reach out to you to reschedule.

As it stands, just ...

Attachments

• SDN Trust the Process English.png
    SDN Trust the Process English.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: 1 user
Recently had an interview (first of two) where the connection was not very stable. I had a few instances where the interviewer had to ask me to repeat my answers. She did repeat my answers back to me and took a lot of notes, which I suppose mean that she was able to hear my answers. Second interview went much more smoothly and I didn't have to repeat myself at all so I'm not sure if it was me or the the interviewer. I don't think there's anything I can do about it now but how would this be viewed by the committee?
One of my interviews happened to be at a time when my internet went out for the entire day for whatever reason and I had to use my phone as a hot spot since I realized what was happening about 5 minutes before the interview and it was way too late to audible to a different location. One of my interviewers had to shut off the cameras and just use audio since the connection was pretty bad. I ultimately got waitlisted, then the school reached out with a re-interview offer which I took. I then got accepted. No idea if this is a common thing, but that's my anecdotal experience with it.

Reactions: 4 users
Also anecdotal, but I live in an area that doesn't have consistent wifi and for the first school I interviewed with, I had wifi issues with both my individual and MMI interview-despite explicitly booking a study room to use at the local college to try and off-set the potential for wifi issues. It was very stressful, but this school explicitly emphasized that you would not be penalized for connectivity issues, and (at least for myself) that seems to be true, as I got an A.
Take the school's lead, but I don't think anywhere is going to blame you for that sort of thing. At the very least, it didn't affect my admission.

Reactions: 2 users