Big difference between a 3.77 and a 3.8 science GPA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DayDune

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should bother with sending in my EMT/CNA stuff to AMCAS. I'm not going to count on it, but I've heard of people getting them added to their science GPA. It would raise up my science GPA a bit...is it worth it if it raises it from a 3.77 to a 3.8? Not sure if most schools see a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

It might not seem like a diff...but I feel like it is...I mean adcoms are people too.

There is a reason why some places sell things for 0.99 versus 1.00
And thus, 3.79 might sound less than 3.80

I applied with a 3.79 but I updated my grades and had a 3.8+ in the end. Sometimes I still wonder if they saw the 3.79 or 3.8+

If getting accepted came down to something as small as that, may God help us all. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to decide if I should bother with sending in my EMT/CNA stuff to AMCAS. I'm not going to count on it, but I've heard of people getting them added to their science GPA. It would raise up my science GPA a bit...is it worth it if it raises it from a 3.77 to a 3.8? Not sure if most schools see a difference.

This is kinda like the gas station offering gas for $3.299 opposed to the gas station on the other side of the street offering gas for $3.329 and there will be a line a mile long to pay $0.03 less for gas which will save you a whopping $0.45 on a 15 gallon tank. If adcoms are anything like that, it looks better to be at a 3.80. Don't get me wrong, a 3.77 is a stellar BCPM GPA.

This is kinda like the gas station offering gas for $3.299 opposed to the gas station on the other side of the street offering gas for $3.329 and there will be a line a mile long to pay $0.03 less for gas which will save you a whopping $0.45 on a 15 gallon tank. If adcoms are anything like that, it looks better to be at a 3.80. Don't get me wrong, a 3.77 is a stellar BCPM GPA.

What is the average BCPM GPA anyway? 3.6?

If you've taken the classes and they could raise your GPA, then you should definitely go for it. However, I don't see how EMT would go into BCPM. I had my EMT class grade on my transcript (no choices there) and thought it was pretty clearly a health science course.

What is the average BCPM GPA anyway? 3.6?

I don't think it's even that high. The AAMC has this information on their website. I think it was in the 3.55 range nationwide for 2006's entering class while the overall was about 3.63.