Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my qustion is this. I will be applyinh for residency next year and am starting to get scared. I don't know if I'm competitive, I was kinda disappointed with my step 1 scores, and have a LD so standarized testing is difficult for me. Should I not apply for competitive programs at all? I have heard that in general, most US medical graduates match, but is it possible that one could not ever match? Should I apply for crappy programs? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your interests? What residency fields are you considering?

What are your interests? What residency fields are you considering?

My interests are multiple actually. I really like Derm but I don't think I could get in. I also like Psych. and various subspecialties of IM (endo/gastro).

Well you really need to decide what you like - do you have a favorite?

What's your Step 1 score? Don't have to be exact - is it around the average?

How's the rest of your app? Clinical rotation grades, research, extra-curriculars, etc.?

Are you planning on taking Step 2 CK?

Well you really need to decide what you like - do you have a favorite?

What's your Step 1 score? Don't have to be exact - is it around the average?

How's the rest of your app? Clinical rotation grades, research, extra-curriculars, etc.?

Are you planning on taking Step 2 CK?

My step 1 score is slightly below average. I passed the first time though. Clinical rotation grades have been mostly outstandings clinically but again with the issue with standarized testing, have dropped down to advanced. I have not done research. How hard is it to get into a descent IM or psych program or possibly a combined one?

I won't speak for Matching into IM or Psych as I don't know much about that. Instead I'll direct you to their excellent FAQs:

IM FAQ
Psych FAQ

You're also pursuing an MPH, right? That will help.

How are your letters of recommendation?

On your personal statement, make sure you sound confident of your choice to enter whatever field you're going into! Don't sound ambivalent - that's the kiss of death!

I won't speak for Matching into IM or Psych as I don't know much about that. Instead I'll direct you to their excellent FAQs:

IM FAQ
Psych FAQ

You're also pursuing an MPH, right? That will help.

How are your letters of recommendation?

On your personal statement, make sure you sound confident of your choice to enter whatever field you're going into! Don't sound ambivalent - that's the kiss of death!

Do you think from what I'm saying, that I"m a crappy applicant? I mean overall, I think I am not too bad of an applicant, other than a lower than I would have liked step 1. Do you think programs are going to think that I'm not a good applicant? I don't know what to think at this point.

Do you think from what I'm saying, that I"m a crappy applicant? I mean overall, I think I am not too bad of an applicant, other than a lower than I would have liked step 1. Do you think programs are going to think that I'm not a good applicant? I don't know what to think at this point.

From what you're saying, you scored around the average for Step 1, have above-average MS-III rotation grades and are planning on completing an MPH? That's definitely not "crappy" in my book!

I'm not sure if I'm not understanding your question.

From what you're saying, you scored around the average for Step 1, have above-average MS-III rotation grades and are planning on completing an MPH? That's definitely not "crappy" in my book!

I'm not sure if I'm not understanding your question.

Well I scored slightly below average. :( I didn't get to finish like 80 questions on step 1. :( The rest is accurate. I am so confused right now though and Im absolutely terrified of not matching. I was also talking to some classmates and they were telling me how they have connections in various departments and how basically as long as the program director of the specialty they are applying to gives them the go when they apply, they are in. I don't have connections really. I think they are probably very important, especially in derm. Do you think I should forget about derm at this point? I know how amazingly competitive it is even for stellar applicants, and since I'm not stellar I don't think I have many chances. At the same time, I wonder if I will forever regret not at least trying to get in.

Would trying to do some research with a faculty member at my school help? If I don't get into derm, would having derm related research be looked down upon other programs if they think i'm only applying to the programs because i couldn't do derm?

Research always helps. (Research is research. Pretty much anything will help, though of course the more relevant it is, the better.) Derm is notoriously competitive (right up there with Plastics as one of the toughest residencies to Match into), so I'll say that if that's your dream, you should work hard, try to publish (in your MD or MPH work), make contacts, and study hard for Step 2. A below-average Step 1 is going to be a huge disadvantage if you're applying to Derm, as most applicants' scores are well above 230-240.

But if that's more like a pipe dream, and you're more seriously considering IM or Psych, then definitely get to know the program directors at your home program - you'll be applying to your home programs and knowing them will help.

Well I scored slightly below average. :( I didn't get to finish like 80 questions on step 1. :(

With a LD, you can apply for extra time to take the USMLEs; just look at Sophie Currier (on 2nd thought...don't). While the fact that you had extra time will be noted, if it means a significant difference in your Step 2 score, it would be worth considering, FWIW.

I was also talking to some classmates and they were telling me how they have connections in various departments and how basically as long as the program director of the specialty they are applying to gives them the go when they apply, they are in.

Dude, get ready to snicker to yourself when those classmates don't match and try and make up some story about how they "didn't want to go there anyway." Connections are great, don't get me wrong. But no one, especially in a competitive field like Derm is a shoe-in. You'd be suprised at what PDs say to each other when they wont' tell the applicant the same. I've seen LORs from PDs whom, when called, had horrific things to say about the appilcant that they didn't want to say on paper. Get connections if you can, but don't assume that without them that you aren't going to match.

Let us know in March which of those blow-hard, overly confident classmates of yours didn't match and we'll all laugh together.:rolleyes:

Otherwise, do research, rock Step 2 if you can, schmooze faculty and if you would hate yourself if you didn't match into Derm at least give it a shot, with another specialty as back-up. If your Step 1 is "slightly below average" its probably still within the SEM and yuor application otherwise average, you don't have to necessarily settle for crappy residency programs. Your classmates and you have you stressed out without reason, IMHO.

With a LD, you can apply for extra time to take the USMLEs; just look at Sophie Currier (on 2nd thought...don't). While the fact that you had extra time will be noted, if it means a significant difference in your Step 2 score, it would be worth considering, FWIW.

Dude, get ready to snicker to yourself when those classmates don't match and try and make up some story about how they "didn't want to go there anyway." Connections are great, don't get me wrong. But no one, especially in a competitive field like Derm is a shoe-in. You'd be suprised at what PDs say to each other when they wont' tell the applicant the same. I've seen LORs from PDs whom, when called, had horrific things to say about the appilcant that they didn't want to say on paper. Get connections if you can, but don't assume that without them that you aren't going to match.

Let us know in March which of those blow-hard, overly confident classmates of yours didn't match and we'll all laugh together.:rolleyes:

Otherwise, do research, rock Step 2 if you can, schmooze faculty and if you would hate yourself if you didn't match into Derm at least give it a shot, with another specialty as back-up. If your Step 1 is "slightly below average" its probably still within the SEM and yuor application otherwise average, you don't have to necessarily settle for crappy residency programs. Your classmates and you have you stressed out without reason, IMHO.

Thanks. I guess I get very frustrated because I know so much yet I can't put it on paper! The standarized testing issue is killing me and it's sooo disappointing! In addition to a LD, I also read super slow due to language problems. Ugh! So frustrated right now. :( I hope all these years of hard work are not in vain. :(

What learning disorder do you have? (Don't have to specify if you're not comfortable, I'm just curious.) What's your first language?

Have you ever tried getting testing accomodations (a huge can of worms, I know!)?

I have friends who wanted to do Derm, but didn't match who did a fairly top tier IM residency and then did Derm.

Just because you don't match into Derm out of school doesn't mean it is unattainable later.

They did a whole IM residency? Or just a prelim year?

I know people who have also gone the Prelim IM - Research - Derm route.

One of my best friends did a whole IM residency, and then matched into Derm at another hospital.

This is certainly just anecdotal, but I can't imagine she is the only person ever to have done it this way.

One of my best friends did a whole IM residency, and then matched into Derm at another hospital.

This is certainly just anecdotal, but I can't imagine she is the only person ever to have done it this way.

I looked into the residents who matched at some good Derm programs and I noticed that many of them had done another residency, whether it be IM or peds. Sometimes I wonder if that would be a route to go? Because I like IM too but if I did IM I would do a fellowship so it would be another 2years anyways. My question is-if I did an IM rotation, would my chances of matching into derm improve? Or would it be the same?

I think it would depend on how you did in your residency - recommendations, research, etc.

It's hard to compare because those that Match into Derm as an MS-IV are obviously very well-qualified.