Advice about CASPER for residency matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theowlneversleeps

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently applying for residency programs, two of which require CASPER and the others dont. I dont mind taking the CASPER, but im not sure if I do poorly, would it affect my chances of getting into those programs that technically dont require it, but they might still have access to my results? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

How are the programs asking for it? Do you send them a different piece of accompanying information about it or is it reported on your application for anyone to see?

Luckily I didn't have to deal with this, so I don't know the process. I would say that the programs that don't ask for it probably won't care either way (or know the significance of the results).

Edit:

Shouldn't be an issue. Quoted from the test site:

Once a test is rated, 2-3 weeks after the test date, the score from the typed response section is sent automatically to the programs that the applicant has selected for distribution. Programs then update application statuses within their individual application portals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When you do the CASPer test you will be asked which programs to send the results to. Only list the ones that require it, the others won’t see anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm currently applying for residency programs, two of which require CASPER and the others dont. I dont mind taking the CASPER, but im not sure if I do poorly, would it affect my chances of getting into those programs that technically dont require it, but they might still have access to my results? What do you guys think?
What in the world is Casper - another nonsensical standardized test? Is this new? I haven’t been out of residency that far back and never heard of this. Please elaborate!

Reactions: 1 user
We have a forum though it's under the Pre-Medical grouping discussing Casper. I have noticed that Urology residents are being asked to take the Altus Suite (Casper, Duet, Snapshot) as part of a study. Ophthalmology is requesting the Suite for 120 programs for reviewing applications. It appears it is required for the Canadian Match.

Duet and Snapshot are more customized as individual programs get your responses to these assessments to determine your fit with their program. The "rating scale" is derived from answers from current residents or faculty who are or have been part of the program (that's how it was explained to me). For these assessments, knowing your "why"/purpose to pursue that specialty or specific communities will help greatly.

Last edited: