University of Alabama Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UAB is a strong ophthalmology residency program, with some unique features. The UAB Medical Center is one of the strongest places for neuroscience research in the country (top 20 in NIH funding), has a strong optometry school on the same campus, and has an entire building dedicated to optics research. Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital houses 7 floors of ophthalmogy clinical, research, and educational space. UAB serves as the tertiary care center for a large part of multiple states, so there's great pathology. Ophtho residents take in-house overnight call in a 24/7 "eye ED." There are multiple subspecialists in each area, and the faculty I met there were friendly and down-to-earth. (They were incredibly welcoming of me even when I was just a senior in college, and gave me more autonomy to see and examine ophtho patients than I was given on one of my away rotations at a top-10 ophtho program as a senior medical student.) I got the impression that they really care about teaching and mentoring. I got to hang out with a fourth year medical student who was doing an away rotation there, and she was hoping to end up at UAB for residency. I know someone else that did residency at UAB, and he had nothing but good things to say about his training experience.

(Some of this info could be a little dated, I doubt things have changed too much, but it has been a few years since I was hanging out at UAB back in college.)
 
Last edited: