Anyone applying to perio residency for 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcred10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone that has applied to perio programs has received any interviews yet. I know some do interviews on a rolling basis instead of waiting until the application deadlines. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I must tell you that, with Perio residencies now taking up 3 years of your life, they have become "Junior Oral Surgeons". The middle class and affluent patients are not having periodontal diseases -- which is why Periodontists fought to become "implantologists". Don't waste your time. If surgery is appealing to you, then put in the extra year and become a bonafide OMS (or even better, complete an OMS residency that awards you a MD degree!

I must tell you that, with Perio residencies now taking up 3 years of your life, they have become "Junior Oral Surgeons". The middle class and affluent patients are not having periodontal diseases -- which is why Periodontists fought to become "implantologists". Don't waste your time. If surgery is appealing to you, then put in the extra year and become a bonafide OMS (or even better, complete an OMS residency that awards you a MD degree!

i am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. i went back and looked at your other THREE posts, and every one of them was trying to convince people to not pursue careers as anything but OMFS. you sound like a bitter old man trying overcome some inadequacy that you feel when working with a team that may have other members with more education than yourself.

to imply that periodontal disease is a disease that affects only the lower class (economically challenged) sub-population is arrogant and an uneducated statement at the least.

to the OP, i have a couple of friends applying to perio this year. they are both very intelligent and talented....a periodontist is not just a "junior oral surgeon". good luck with your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this year as well, I'm still getting all my stuff sent in. I think most deadlines are around aug to sept so I imagine interview invites wont be till atleast august. What schools are you applying to? I'm going for UF, Nova, and Baylor.

So much misinformation here that it's almost funny.

Middle class and affluent patients don't have perio disease? Really?

An MD OMFS is better than a 4-year OMFS? Really?

So much misinformation here that it's almost funny.

Middle class and affluent patients don't have perio disease? Really?

An MD OMFS is better than a 4-year OMFS? Really?

I agree 100%. Periodontics is extremely important and worthwhile. I'm not really sure why this guy is trying to discourage you, but if you enjoy the field, you should certainly go for it! As to your question about interviews, most programs in each discipline don't start interviewing until September (occasionally August). I know it stinks to wait, but hang in there!

Don't worry about letting ingnorance and insecurites discourage me. I have read enough posts on here to know that posting anything on perio would get at least some bashing from those in OMFS.
I have applied at North carolina, Alabama, San Antonio, South Carolina, and Georgia. I am trying to stay in the southeast.

Good luck with your application as well.

Last edited: