Barry - Disorganized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I heard from a few students that a negative of the pod program at Barry is somewhat disorganized. Can any current Barry students comment on this and its validity? Any examples would be appreciated. I heard some things about not receiving much info before attending (once deposit is paid) to issues with adjuncts.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think every program has organization issues to one degree or another. Issues that students become frustrated with at Barry are probably similar to any other large or medium-sized university: financial aid, admissions, etc. Part of the problem is that students get impatient, but part is that those departments and their staff could alway improve. There are two sides to every story. I got my orientation dates/times and scholarship info in by mail months before school started and my refund check was ready when I moved to Miami, but keep in mind I started 4yrs ago now, applied early, was accepted early, etc. I'm sure that for some people, especially those who apply/interview closer to the deadline (ie past May or June), will tend to have more trouble than I did.

Personally, I can say that in over 3yrs (8 semesters) here, the Barry "customer service" and "organization" type problems I've had are pretty minor (one refund check was a week late, one semester the system failed to auto-register me for health insurance, etc). Half the time when I had issues, I found out that it was actually due to paperwork that I had forgotten to turn in (health insurance verification, GradFinAid documentation, transcript request, etc). If you stop by the appropriate offices during their published business hours, they will usually be very helpful. Either I'm "lucky," or I just go about the appropriate avenues to get any issues resolved... I don't know lol.

As for adjunct (aka part time) professors, they are a cost saver for any university. Some pod schools use a TON of them, but Barry actually uses very few adjuncts (most from Nova Southeastern Univ, a nearby DO etc school). Also, the adjuncts used are largely only for 1 and 2cr classes where it would be illogical and a waste of tuition dollars to hire a full time PhD/MD/etc. Just like any university, some adjunct faculty will do great work, and some put in less effort.

Overall, I think that having many full-time, accessible faculty and small class sizes is one of the biggest assets of Barry's pod program. Excellent 3rd year clinic podiatry and medical rotations as well as nice weather/culture are other main advantages. But back to the subject... it's a reasonably small private college, and you get your money's worth many times over if you utilize the office hours, chat with faculty to understand the subjects, and find faculty mentors. Most faculty for both basic and clinical sciences are experienced (many tenured by now) and VERY accessible. That is not a benefit that you will find at every pod program.

Here is a complete list of Barry's current faculty to the best of my knowledge... I would honestly challenge any other pod school to provide you with this list, and if they do provide an honest list, you will probably find more adjunct profs, larger average class sizes, etc. I put classes with adjunct profs in bold and listed the # of credits:

First Year Basic sciences
Gross anat - full time PhD, a bit busy but quite accessible (chair of basic sciences)
Histo - full time PhD, extremely accessible
BioChem 1&2 - full time PhD, teaches undergrads also but makes himself very available
Intro to Pod Med - full time DPM (dean of pod)
Research -full time DPM, very acessible
Neuroanat (3cr) - PhD... I think he's FT at Barry but he does teach adjunct at Nova also, fairly accessible
Physio - full time PhD, very acessible
Psych and Ethics (each are a 1cr class) - adjunct MD psychiatrist, fairly helpful if you need him
Applied LEA -full time PhD (again, the chair of basic sciences)

Second Year Clinical Sciences
Conceptual LEA - full time DPM, pretty accessible
Physio Lab - full time PhD, very acessible
Med Micro and Immuno - full time PhD (associate dean)
Clinical Neuro (2cr) - adjunct practicing MD neurosurgeon, reasonably accessible
Radiology + Lab - full time DPM, very accessible
Path 1&2 (4cr, 2cr) - adjunct MD pathologist, could've been a lot better IMHO... but I head it was much improved this past year
Derm - adjunct DPM/DO, very busy guy but still helpful
Biomechanics + Lab - full time DPM, pretty accessible
Medical Pharm (3cr) - adjunct PhD, fairly accessible
Clinical Pharm - full time DPM (clinical dean)
Pod Med 1 + Lab - full/part time DPMs, fairly accessible
Pod Med 2 - full time DPM, very accessible
Surg Principles (2cr) - I don't really know, I had a prof who since retired
PVD - full time DPM, very accessible
Internal Med (2, 2cr) 1&2- adjunct MD, busy guy but still helpful
ER, ACLS, PALS (2cr, certifications) - hired company, adequate but could improve

Third Year Pod Courses (classes T,Th and clinic MWF third year... full time clinical DPM faculty listed here http://www.barry.edu/podiatryclinics/physicians/default.htm )
Anesthesia - full time DPMs, accessible
OR Protocol - adjunct RN, very accessible and helpful
Pod Med 3&4 - full time DPM, accessible
Pod Surg 1&2 - full time DPMs, accessible
Pod Trauma - full time DPM, accessible
PodoPediatrics - full time DPM, accessible

4th year
May-Dec of 4th year is all hospital pod surg clerkships (5-6mo) and two Barry clinic months before January CRIPS. After interviews, students have a couple private rotations and classes (sports med, practice management, etc) before graduation. I haven't got that far yet, so I can't really tell you a whole lot more.

...you can PM me or just ask here if you think of any more Qs about Barry's pod program. Hope this helps...

Last edited:
No problems thus far. Refund check on time and paper work all fine. I applied late too.
Overall as a first year everything is going pretty well. My lab partner attended MD school for a few years before doing pod and said the profs here are so much better compared to his MD school. Professors will know who you are very quickly by face and name too.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are ups and downs everywhere. I have had a few problems. You can PM me if really want to know, but Barry did change buildings less than a month ago and they are getting everything worked out.

I almost forgot, my new rap name is: Middle-Aged Rather Clean Bastard

Someone has already stolen Young Jeezy - I though about "Approaching Middle Age Jeezy" but I just can't get it into any of my lyrics

Maybe one of you young bucks can answer this question. I looked it up online but I want to confirm the meaning. Suppose one is 'riding dirty.' What would one be doing if one were to be 'riding dirty?' Also, what if that same one was 'flossing in their whip?'

Last edited:
Lmao. Riding dirty is driving with a controlled substance in your vehicle. Flossing in your whip is basically showing off in your car. Anymore translations?

Yeah, you're right...Riding dirty can include guns and alcohol also. A "cut buddy" is a like a "friend with benefits"

Interesting lingo you young bucks come up with to express yourselves. I could literally picture Selma H. riding around in a car with a package of floss just cleaning her teeth. Sounds like a dentist's wet dream. Kind of hot. No, I just pictured her getting a huge piece of spinach out of her teeth. But, it fell down her extremely low cut shirt. Still....Not hot...maybe I'll ask a dental student. Moving on. Please remember that my rap game was in full swing in the mid 80's to early 90's. BBD wasnt underoos...it was Bell Biv Devoe. Thanks players. Whoops...I mean playas

Yeah, you're right...Riding dirty can include guns and alcohol also. A "cut buddy" is a like a "friend with benefits"

I don't think she really has to be your "friend" though, haha!!

If you wanna cut a female, it means having sex with her.

And if you are ever asked how you doin or what's up?

You answer chillin, chillin. You can add in "you know, doin my thing"

Add "son" in there somewhere if from NY.

Wow I never knew thats what they meant by "riding dirty" ....anyone else care to add some more lingo??? This is getting interesting:corny: