Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAZZEYE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum had any actual experience with going into military Optometry through the HPSP ? I am interested in Navy Optometry.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone on this forum had any actual experience with going into military Optometry through the HPSP ? I am interested in Navy Optometry.

I don't know about Navy, but the Army recruiters were telling us that Army optometrists spend an average of one year in Iraq, if that makes any difference for you. With the election, that'll probably change.

First, I'd caution that if you see HPSP as just a way to pay for school, you'll be disappointed and maybe downright unhappy for 3-4 years. If you like the idea of serving your country and the idea of some unique experiences prior to settling into a long term position, it may be the thing for you.

My experience:
Signed up for HPSP in my first year. They pay a monthly living allowance, ALL school expenses, and all books/equipment (which are yours to keep after leaving the military). Did my officer basic training between 3rd & 4th year (exercise in AM, classroom all day, and on the golf course by 4:30).
Did 2 of my 4th year rotations on military bases, so I was paid active-duty pay for 1/2 of my 4th year while everyone else was scrambling for loans to cover the last 6 months of school.

I listed 3 places I'd like to be stationed, and was assigned to one of them. Took 1 month off & then could start practicing mid-June before the rest of my classmates were even licensed.

Military optometry allows you to practice full-scope for procedures/prescribing and you'll either be assigned to a large hospital where you work alongside ophthalmology, or to a smaller clinic, where you may be in charge from day one. I got to experience both and saw more pathology than many of my friends doing residencies.

You will be expected to participate in some non-clinical military activities, but as an O-3 officer, won’t be assigned many duties. During my 3 years of active duty, I saw patients from 8-4, took Wed PM off and was on-call for the ER every 3rd week. About once a month would take a day for weapon training, attend military lectures, etc. I spent 3 weeks in Haiti doing humanitarian aid and was also EMT certified. All national holidays were 4 day weekends and all CE trips were paid for. I had accumulated 80 days of paid vacation when I left, which allowed me to get full pay for the first 3 months in my private practice.

My undergrad was paid with academic & a football scholarship and my only student loans were $25K for the 1st year of opt school. When I left the military after 3 years, I’d saved enough to make a down payment on an existing private practice and a home. Overall, a great experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
Optsuker,
Thats exactly some of the feedback I was hoping to get !

The financial aspect of a HPSP (if fortunate enough to be selected) seems like a great way to go, and I have given it a more thought than just a way to pay for my education....I feel confident that I would be suited to serve.

Anymore information would be appreciated, please feel free to PM me if you'd rather not share more personal experiences on a public forum.

Thank you for your response.

I am a strong advocate of the HPSP program. Either sign on with the army or the navy, and you'll graduate debt free. It's a great program.

If you need any additional information, I can send you a recruiter to your location.

I'm confused: it seems H.P.S.P. covers only three years of optometry education. How does one walk away "debt-free"?

from what i heard, they will pay a maximum of 4 years for optometry school. the 3 years is just the minimum one would have to serve for the navy. (i.e. if you only had them pay for 2 years of school, you'd still have to serve for 3 years.

Oh. Well, I'm not sure about the Navy, but the Army recruiter (in charge of this program on their behalf) told me the organization will pay for only three years of optometry school.

I think all branches alter the conditions based on their need.

Typically, a 3 year commitment is the minimum, so getting a 3 for 3 deal is usually the best offer.

You have to be enrolled in an OD school to apply, so a 4 for 4 deal is possible, but you'd need to have all your ducks in a row to have the process done early in your first year of school.

Thanks. Maybe the program's been recently altered (or I'm being misinformed, or I'm misinterpreting). It seems, currently (February, 2010), the U.S. Army will cover, through its H.P.S.P., only the last three years of optometric education, meaning a student would have to fund his or her first year by other means.

Thanks. Maybe the program's been recently altered (or I'm being misinformed, or I'm misinterpreting). It seems, currently (February, 2010), the U.S. Army will cover, through its H.P.S.P., only the last three years of optometric education, meaning a student would have to fund his or her first year by other means.
That could easily be correct. My comments are based on when I went through it. The rules changed regularly then.

If the Navy only needs to fill 3 slots, they'll be more selective and may only offer a 2 for 3 years service. If they need to fill 15 spots, they'll get more generous.

If you're interested, I'd follow it closely and stay in touch with a medical recruiter. The recruiting station at the mall will know very little about the details of HPSP.

That could easily be correct. My comments are based on when I went through it. The rules changed regularly then.

If the Navy only needs to fill 3 slots, they'll be more selective and may only offer a 2 for 3 years service. If they need to fill 15 spots, they'll get more generous.

If you're interested, I'd follow it closely and stay in touch with a medical recruiter. The recruiting station at the mall will know very little about the details of HPSP.

This is correct Navy HPSP's for Optometry are even harder to get now, recruiters have had alot of requests last several years, I've recently heard about 3 scholarships per fiscal yr. are being offered, so its pretty much 3 for 3yrs service.... I don't know if their doing 2 for 3yrs service yet, the Air Force has been doing that for awhile.

I always hear you shouldn't do it just for the money, that makes sense. :shrug:
But when you do the math, this sounds like nice way to go... eliminating the high cost of education would give you good post position in crowded field ...you would also have an immediate path to experience. Anyone have any input about how well that experience transitions to civilian practice.

Last edited:
This is correct Navy HPSP's for Optometry are even harder to get now, recruiters have had alot of requests last several years, I've recently heard about 3 scholarships per fiscal yr. are being offered, so its pretty much 3 for 3yrs service.... I don't know if their doing 2 for 3yrs service yet, the Air Force has been doing that for awhile.

I always hear you shouldn't do it just for the money, that makes sense. :shrug:
But when you do the math, this sounds like nice way to go... eliminating the high cost of education would give you good post position in crowded field ...you would also have an immediate path to experience. Anyone have any input about how well that experience transitions to civilian practice.

I'd guess most people who consider the H.P.S.P. do so mainly for the money; what I wonder is whether it's very beneficial in that regard. Three years of your education (~$90,000) are covered, and you get monthly stipends (total: ~$60,000). You'll need a loan for your first year in school (~$30,000). Upon graduation, you'll work for the military for three years, earning ~$60,000/year, which is a little more than half what you might make starting at a posh optical store. Altogether, after seven years, you find ~$150,000 in your pocket.

If you forgo H.P.S.P., and work at, say, a Walmart upon being graduated, making ~$100,000/year, you'll have ~$300,000, minus ~$150,000 in loans; you still wind up with ~$150,000 in your pocket. With Walmart, you can quit or try to find other work alongside; in the case of the military, you're legally bound for three years.

These numbers are rough, to say the least, but I don't think it's unfair to say, at the end of it, H.P.S.P., financially, just might not be worth it.

Differing opinions are eagerly invited.

I'd guess most people who consider the H.P.S.P. do so mainly for the money; what I wonder is whether it's very beneficial in that regard. Three years of your education (~$90,000) are covered, and you get monthly stipends (total: ~$60,000). You'll need a loan for your first year in school (~$30,000). Upon graduation, you'll work for the military for three years, earning ~$60,000/year, which is a little more than half what you might make starting at a posh optical store. Altogether, after seven years, you find ~$150,000 in your pocket.

If you forgo H.P.S.P., and work at, say, a Walmart upon being graduated, making ~$100,000/year, you'll have ~$300,000, minus ~$150,000 in loans; you still wind up with ~$150,000 in your pocket. With Walmart, you can quit or try to find other work alongside; in the case of the military, you're legally bound for three years.

These numbers are rough, to say the least, but I don't think it's unfair to say, at the end of it, H.P.S.P., financially, just might not be worth it.

Dont they also continue to give you a monthly living stipend while you serve? And what about the healthcare benefits, arent you saving money this way too? Just curious... btw, I like all these responses, very informative!

Stipend is 24k yr plus 1k AT x 3 = 75k
Tuition and books/equipment 35k yr x 3 = 105k
http://www.neco.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees.html
The 3 yr HPSP total worth is about 180k plus healthcare benefits

Active Duty pay entering military as an 0-3 is a little complicated because your paid some as Base pay taxable and some BAH non taxable ( living expense ) your looking at approx. 68k gross to start plus benefits, your earnings on 3yr avg. will gross 72k yr when adding annual pay raises if you began in year 2010
72k x 3yr = 216k. (the tax saving is something you can calculate for yourself )

HPSP combined with Active Duty pay for 3yrs service... 396k plus benefits and tax advantages.

You compared that too 300k Walmart assuming after you graduate you will immediately secure 100k...first couple years out the avg. is more like 80k-90k year job depending on location, no benefits . There may be some cases where someone just hits the ground running, finds a great opportunity and makes 100k or more right out of school but I believe, those occurrences have become rare.
Something else you have neglected to account for is the HUGE amount of interest over the life of your student loans you will be paying.
Alternatively to commercial or working for OD... if you were to open a private practice upon graduation then you should expect less immediate income, more loans and interest, and you will need a strong stomache for capital at risk, the upside of private practice ( just financially speaking ) is potential for high growth and future equity comes into play if your successful.

I have said that all the Military OD's I have communicated with stated "you should not take this path for financial reasons alone"

Military lifestyle is most def. not for everyone... there are things that some would really like... and things that some would not like at all... personal situations are involved... and of course the service part is something you must take to heart for the sake of the honorable men and women you will be serving with.

Obviously many questions to ask yourself if this was something you were seriously considering. But there's not much doubt...it is financially, an attractive prospect for Optometry student in todays market.

No offense...I respect commercial ODs, but if you equate 3yrs at Walmart with 3yrs service as Navy Officer in healthcare, its probably not for you.
~

Last edited: