Marriage in dental school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bryce3306

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I want to hear from all of the dental students/dentists who are or were married while in dental school. Tell me all about it and whether or not you would do it again if you had the chance. I'm a pre-dent student and have found the love of my life. She will be in pharmacy school at the same time I plan on going to dental school and I wanted to get some feedback on marriage in professional school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I want to hear from all of the dental students/dentists who are or were married while in dental school. Tell me all about it and whether or not you would do it again if you had the chance. I'm a pre-dent student and have found the love of my life. She will be in pharmacy school at the same time I plan on going to dental school and I wanted to get some feedback on marriage in professional school.
I got married during second year. I'd do it again in a millisecond. :thumbup:

Hey,

1) Predent
2) Love of my life
3) Easy response, do both :) GL

Members don't see this ad :)
My boyfriend moved with me to dental school and we got engaged in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year. We're getting married this December (midway through 3rd year.)

Honestly, dental school and dental students don't even blink about marriage. I entered with maybe 1/4 of my class married and another 7 or so have gotten married while in school. Also, there are a lot of Mormon dental students, so most of those get married relatively young and are usually married when they enter dental school. There are a lot of mid- and late-20s in school, so it's rather a marriage-ing age. :)

If you have a loving, supportive, understanding partner, marriage or a committed relationship really helps. It's nice to come home to a non-classmate after a long day and he or she also helps remind you that there's life outside of dental school.

However, some of my classmates did lose relationships while here. It depends on what your goals are and whether your partner realizes just how difficult dental school will be (and just how much time you'll need to sink into it.)

But I'd say go for it! I'd wait for kids, but there's no reason to not get married. :)

Marriage isgreat it gives you a great support at home when things get tough during school. Just Do It!

If you both are ready, pursue it. Do not waste your relationships. Acually marriage would help your school lives. Do not be afraid of having a baby while schooling. You will see many of your future classmates having children, and they are ready to be good dentist with life experiences. handling time constricts and stresses from authories ect.. They would know better how to manage time and family.

No time in D-school? But schooling is just a part of your life. There are always time to celebrate your important part of life-family.

But do not get marriage just for additional support.

I got married between my 2nd and 3rd year, would do it again in a heartbeat. That said, make sure it's the right person and that you're really not rushing into things. Dental school takes a lot of time, causes some stress and it will undoubtedly require some understanding from your spouse-to-be. Marriage = more compromise than you can imagine, which is all worth it as long as you two are committed 100% and in love.

Also, I know at our school the first year was the most difficult and I'm glad that my wife didn't have to put up with me as much that year!

How are you all supporting your spouse during school?

How are you all supporting your spouse during school?

He's actually supporting me. He works as a web developer. However, I still take out the maximum loans the school will allow me (I need them all for school debt and he mostly pays for our regular living.) If you're asking about male dental students, I think that a lot of them get help from their families (I notice this especially with Mormon students), some have joined the military, some have wives that work, and others probably just take out a crapload of loans. Remember, whenever those public loans run out, the banks will be HAPPY to give you a private one. ;)

Thanks for the response :)

This is the main obstacle in me getting married. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling her parents that I plan to provide through loans, and I am not sure what other options exist...

Hearing about you all that are married does give me some inspiration that it can be done, and I welcome any advice that you might have.

Besides loans, what options are available to support a spouse?

Thanks for the response :)

This is the main obstacle in me getting married. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling her parents that I plan to provide through loans, and I am not sure what other options exist...

Hearing about you all that are married does give me some inspiration that it can be done, and I welcome any advice that you might have.

A successful and promising relationship is one that can withstand grad-school induced poverty. Also, things aren't going to make it very far if one spouse completely depends on the other for any kind of support, financial or otherwise. You may be coming from a traditional family, but just make sure to step back and look at things rationally. Your happiness and growing your new love and family is much more important than any societal traditions. Parents are important and have a big influence, but this is your decision in the end.

Besides loans? Well, what does she do for a living? There's a whole other person you're talking about here, capable of any career she wants. I'm sure she can find something, or go to grad school herself and take out her own loans. Other than that, your options are the military or borrowing from friends and family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides loans, what options are available to support a spouse?
Frugality!!!!!!!!!!! My wife stays home with our two kids and we make it work with just student loans. I know it sounds silly but she can go crazy with coupons and barely spend money on food and other little things that we need. We have cut back big time on the things that we don't have to have like cell phones, cable, etc. Cutting back like this might drive you two crazy but it might also be good for you. Out of the seven years I have been married, the first year was the hardest and most special because we were very poor. I hope that helps.

I got married during the summer between first and second year and have no regrets whatsoever. My wife worked full-time, and we lived fairly comfortably off of her income and my student loans. We didn't have a lot of expenses though. We rented the entire time I was in school, so just rent and bills to pay at the end of the month.

Looking back, it was actually really great being married during school. It was nice having someone to talk to at the end of the day, and share stories if we had a good or bad day.

Looking back, it was actually really great being married during school. It was nice having someone to talk to at the end of the day, and share stories if we had a good or bad day.

:thumbup:

I'm married (Love it!) with one kid. I definitely recommend it. ...although it does cut into my xbox time...

Hey,

I got married prior to dental school, had my first kid during 2nd year and my next kid right when I was graduating. It helped to give me the motivation, support, and direction to get through school without too much problem.

anyone on here lose a gf or bf upon entering dental school?