Pls help or advice me in my financial situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2Boh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a BSC graduate of 5 yrs with a masters degree and i am looking at getting into pharmacy school. This is a decision I have delayed making becos of the CO$$T of tuition and the hope of getting a worth while job ....(4yrs and still n:scared:tin). :mad::rolleyes::cool:

Let me back up for a minute..................
I have not being too well off financially(currently in the process of filing 4 Chap 7 or 13) since its being so difficult to land a (stable)job all this while after all this cost in education. Hence my decision to go back to school in the medical line. my education was focused more in the Information Technology world and that world is really dragging behind in the current economic situations of layOffs and Shrinking budget & outsourcing.

So, the question is , Is there any hope of getting some kind of loan or tuition for Pharmacy ? ( I looked into a couple of colleges but all of them are in the range of 36k-46k/yr realm).
I know after bankrpzy%* I wud only be qualified 4 government loans, which off course is NOT adequate for pharM D expenses.
My current status = BAD credit, Jobless, Broke but still got a working brain:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking out all federal loans for med school. I suggest you start looking for cheaper schools than that as my entire cost of attendance is less than the 36k-46k figure you stated. I really hope you were also noting this as the entire amount you would need to take out during the year. For a 9 month school year you can take out 33k in staffords as a Pharm D student. I suggest you look into your options and figure out where to apply before worrying about all of this. Make sure you look into the financial aid aspect and get accepted first. Pharmacy is competitive and look to your state schools first. You haven't really mentioned where you are considered in-state.

I'm taking out all federal loans for med school. I suggest you start looking for cheaper schools than that as my entire cost of attendance is less than the 36k-46k figure you stated. I really hope you were also noting this as the entire amount you would need to take out during the year. For a 9 month school year you can take out 33k in staffords as a Pharm D student. I suggest you look into your options and figure out where to apply before worrying about all of this. Make sure you look into the financial aid aspect and get accepted first. Pharmacy is competitive and look to your state schools first. You haven't really mentioned where you are considered in-state.

Thanks for ur candid advice:thumbup:, at this point since this will be a dedicated sacrifice, i will move/relocate to any state or city that takes me. i was looking at the 3yr programs and was able to find a link (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1700941&postcount=9)
from the list above i narrowed my options to this four.
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Massachusetts - Worcester
Midwestern - Glendale
South University
all having similar tuition, i will try to do that.
But i want to get what u are saying though.
Are u saying I i could still get 33k in staffords as a Pharm D student despite my previous schl loans frm before(BSC & Masters). that will be great.
But i will take ur advice get admitted first and then start worrying abt tuition right ??

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what i gathered for Wayne State University School of Medicine frm http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/financial_aid/costs.asp

tuition abt = 41k local / 49k away

TOTAL RESIDENT(including tuition/fees)
TOTAL NON RESIDENT (including tuition/fees)

I know from when my fiancée was applying to pharm school those schools you have chosen are probably the most expensive pharm schools in the country since they are private. Where are you considered in-state?

As for your maximum stafford limit I believe it is $224,000 including your undergrad/masters.

As for Wayne's stats, that is the whole cost of attendance (CoA) which includes tuition, fees, living expenses, and everything else in it. Tuition and fees is actually about 28k for in state (for second year as it is a longer year). It is a bit less for first year.

I know from when my fiancée was applying to pharm school those schools you have chosen are probably the most expensive pharm schools in the country since they are private. Where are you considered in-state?

As for your maximum stafford limit I believe it is $224,000 including your undergrad/masters.

As for Wayne's stats, that is the whole cost of attendance (CoA) which includes tuition, fees, living expenses, and everything else in it. Tuition and fees is actually about 28k for in state (for second year as it is a longer year). It is a bit less for first year.

Oh OKK.
that will be TX. But there a no 3 yr colleges up here.
So i guess the next question will be to find the cheapest 3 yr college

Oh OKK.
that will be TX. But there a no 3 yr colleges up here.
So i guess the next question will be to find the cheapest 3 yr college

I really recommend that you apply to multiple schools and maybe settle for 4 years rather than 3. I'm assuming that you have all of the pre-requisites, GPA score, PCAT, and pharmacy experience already.

Since you are in Texas, I highly highly recommend you stay in Texas. Your tuition will be very very cheap. It will be far less expensive to take 4 years in Texas than 3 years somewhere else.

I really recommend that you apply to multiple schools and maybe settle for 4 years rather than 3. I'm assuming that you have all of the pre-requisites, GPA score, PCAT, and pharmacy experience already.

Since you are in Texas, I highly highly recommend you stay in Texas. Your tuition will be very very cheap. It will be far less expensive to take 4 years in Texas than 3 years somewhere else.
pls can u clarify, i know the answer is somewhere on here.
I know most 3 yr colleges do not require PCAT but i will like to know ??
Is it required to take PCAT every year to be qualified to enroll for that yr.( In essesnce if i took PCAT this yr or in JUNE since its too late for JAN, does that mean I could use the same PCAT score for all my admissions for this yr and next (2009 & 2010)