Any advice on my situation appreciated

Started by PmDawn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi,
Here is my background info: went to UC Davis, low cumGPA (2.65) sciGPA (2.5) initially didn't take classes seriously, then father diagnosed with chronic disease, eventually came back around finished last year with 3.5 GPA.
Good EC: 2 years volunteer research 1 year full-time research, Co-author publication (Cell host & microbe), volunteer at underprivileged clinic in Mexico.

I realized I wanted to do Medicine after College. So I thought of doing post-bac but with my GPA it would take at least 2-3 years and lots of $$$.
My other choice was to go the Carib route. So I started studying for MCAT via Kaplan. I was averaging 7V 9P 10B (26)on practice, which I though might work for Carib. (English is my third language, I have been in the US for only 7 years). I took the Mcat for the first time like a nervous wreck 4V 7P 8B (19) as you can see verbal destroyed me.
And here I am today

1. I can either retake the MCAT and try for Carib (I can only aim for big 3 since I'm from CA)

2. Another option might be to do a 1 year Premed program at Carib and if I do well they gurantee a seat into their MD program next year (SGU), I believe ROSS has similar program.

What do you guys think? Is there something I'm over looking, or more complicated than I think?
Any Advice on doing well on Verbal for someone who has English as third language?

Consider getting additional training to get some type of medical job such as ultrasound tech, LVN, surgical tech, etc. In this way you could pay off your debts (if any), save some money up, get practice speaking English, and once you are ready, take a post-bacc and then apply to medical school once you have the grades to do this right. Another route would be to get some funding to do a M.S. in a bio field, do some research, and take undergrad classes at opportune times to get your undergrad GPA up. There are many ways to do this. Don't worry too much about the exact route. The main thing you need to do is get your undergrad GPA up and make sure your English is very good. Good luck. :luck:
 
So you guys are saying to do 3 years of post bac get GPA to 3.0, take MCAT and apply?
I am worried that if I spend 3 years in a post bac and get GPA to 3.0 it will still not be competitive enough to have shot at US MD.
After 3 years of post bac I might end up applying to Carib schools, so why not do it now?

Some might say that I could do US DO if I redo a lot of the courses that I took. But I have also been on the DO forums and DO's still have no practice rights in many countries (ex. Spain) and are not recognized as equal to MD and have restricted practice rights in many other countries.

As I stated English in my third language and I have been traveling and living in many countries since I was young. I might not be practicing medicine in the United States, so I don't want a to pursue a degree with international restrictions.

This is my concern for choosing Carib MD over US DO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Check out this website. Its a school in Poland. They arrange clinical rotations here in the US like some carrib schools. You may benefit from it. Personally I would recommend going ahead and becoming a Foreign Medical Graduate. If there is a possibility that you wont practice in the US a European school might be a good option for you!🙂

http://www.gotomedschool.com/faqs.html
 
As an English major who met up with a lot of English-as-#th-language students, let me tell you this: living and visiting areas with almost only-English speakers will help you on communicating, so you're good to go on that.

The other part is to keep practicing your reading skills by going through newspapers, journals, etc. and write constantly. It'd be good, too, if you had someone helping you correct your grammar, or if you sat with a grammar book nearby, so you can constantly see what to develop. Maybe barter? (Science tutoring in return for English tutoring?) Read for fun. Create practice writing exercises. Seven years here in the USA is already a lot of English exposure! 🙂 You're on your way, I'm sure.