Some advice on my Non-Trad Pre-Med Course Plan

Started by los2030
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

los2030

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am currently an x-ray student set to finish my program in May with an Associates and 3.8 GPA. I plan to start a Bachelors of Arts in Biology (which will take many of my previous credits) next fall and want some advice on whether my planned coursework is feasible. I plan on working full-time for my first year then switching to PRN/Per Diem in Summer of 2027 and onwards.

Fall 2026:
Gen Chem 1
Biology 1 (my undergrad has a 4-course biology sequence)

Spring 2027:
Gen Chem 2
Biology 2

Summer 2027
Orgo 1 (6 week course)
then
Orgo 2 (6 week course)

Fall 2027
Physics 1
Biology 3

Spring 2028
Physics 2
Biochemistry (can't take until after Biology 3 is complete)
MCAT Prep
Take MCAT in April/May, apply

Fall 28/Spring 2029
Finish my degree with upper-lvl bio courses

I already have many paid clinical hours (3000+) and some non clinical volunteering, so I would also be prioritizing scheduling some research and some more volunteering around this course load. I would minimize/stop any outside commitments during Summer 2027 and Spring 2028.

Any feedback/advice is appreciated, is this a realistic plan or is it flawed? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How will you cover the Psych/Soc topics before taking the MCAT? Make sure you check with prehealth advisors. You should also consider some upper-level biology courses to solidify your physiology knowledge prior to medical school.
I took online Psych and Soc already as part of my associates, do I have to retake these classes or can I just self study the topics during MCAT prep?

Also, is it necessary to take calculus 1? I've already taken precalculus and statistics.

Thanks for your response
 
I took online Psych and Soc already as part of my associates, do I have to retake these classes or can I just self study the topics during MCAT prep?

Also, is it necessary to take calculus 1? I've already taken precalculus and statistics.

Thanks for your response
Courses are dependent on the schools/programs you apply to. You should consult the MSAR to make sure you are checking the boxes necessary to apply to the programs you wish to.
 
Spring 2028
Physics 2
Biochemistry (can't take until after Biology 3 is complete)
MCAT Prep
Take MCAT in April/May, apply

Fall 28/Spring 2029
Finish my degree with upper-lvl bio courses
This part concerns me, taking Physics 2, Biochemistry, and studying for the MCAT? And then taking the MCAT, and preparing to apply in May? It's a lot....

Personally, I had to push my timeline out, to ensure I was prepared for the MCAT to get the highest score possible. It's not something you want to rush. And preparing to apply is also not something you want to rush, with essays you should spend months revising and perfecting. I pushed my timeline back a year, and I'm so happy I did because my application cycle is going really really well. I have no doubts it would have been a much different story had I stuck with my rushed timeline and tried to do Spring MCAT + prepare to apply that same cycle (I was working full time, as well). Just my two cents!
 
Agree about the MCAT prep not being serious enough in your timeline. You can take it in June and still be complete by Labor Day, or delay to next year. I applied and got in with a June 25 MCAT date.
 
This part concerns me, taking Physics 2, Biochemistry, and studying for the MCAT? And then taking the MCAT, and preparing to apply in May? It's a lot....

Personally, I had to push my timeline out, to ensure I was prepared for the MCAT to get the highest score possible. It's not something you want to rush. And preparing to apply is also not something you want to rush, with essays you should spend months revising and perfecting. I pushed my timeline back a year, and I'm so happy I did because my application cycle is going really really well. I have no doubts it would have been a much different story had I stuck with my rushed timeline and tried to do Spring MCAT + prepare to apply that same cycle (I was working full time, as well). Just my two cents!
I appreciate you sharing, I had this concern while mapping this out as well and I think I might just take the extra gap year by taking the mcat in the summer and applying the cycle afterwards.