Still cant decide - IM vs. Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gas4YoFace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I thought the whole interview process would finally help me make a decision about which specialty I should rank first...but I still can't decide if I want to go into IM or anesthesia! This is ridiculous...

Anyone else having a similar dilemma?

What I love about anesthesia - procedures, shift work, better pay
What I love about IM - chances for subspecialty, better hours following residency

Right now my rank list looks like:
1. gas
2. gas
3. IM
4. gas
5. IM
6. IM....

This is not good...help me...please...:scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

What I love about anesthesia - procedures, shift work, better pay

Don't count on it. Anesthesia reimbursement is on the chopping block. I suggest you spend some time in the Anesthesia forum here on SDN.

Don't go into any field for the money. There's no guarantee it'll be there in the future.

Anesthesiologists would have to take a massive pay cut, like 40-50% or so, before their pay would be equal to that of general IM or specialties like rheum or endo. Nephro and cards make substantially more than some other IM fields.

IM doesn't necessarily have better hours than anesthesiology once you are done with residency...if anything, it's the opposite. All the folks I know from med school who went into gas have more days off versus the folks in IM, and probably work a lot fewer hours overall. You can of course work part time in general IM or urgent care, but they you won't make much money.

I agree with dragonfly about the salary.

while I don't view anesthesia as a lifestyle specialty, I can tell you that as a hospitalist for a year, hours are pretty bad, usually 12 hour shifts for a week at a time. I was in the same position your were in (IM vs. Gas) and ended up choosing IM with hope of doing cardiology, didn't work out and will be starting another residency in anesthesia this summer, couldn't be happier.

as a hospitalist, unless you are covering the ICU at night, you will do hardly any procedures and will be stuck with all the grunt work (admitting 5-15 patients a night, cross cover, discharge summaries, writing scripts, coordinating care, etc.)

another awesome thing with anesthesia is little to no overhead and you can always admit to the hospitalist for overnight obs.

My advice, if you like procedures go with anesthesia.

Thanks for the great replies everyone. Definitely IM would be a poor choice if I wasn't able to get the subspecialty I want (wither allergy or rheum)...never quite thought of being a hospitalist.

Any one else have trouble choosing b/t 2 specialties (not limited to I'm or gas)?

Anesthesiologists would have to take a massive pay cut, like 40-50% or so, before their pay would be equal to that of general IM.

That's assuming that there aren't any increases on the IM side. Anyway, I didn't suggest that they would or should equalize, but they are likely to become less disparate over time. My point is simply not to base your decision on what any specific field is reimbursing today. You just never know.

I agree with dragonfly about the salary.

while I don't view anesthesia as a lifestyle specialty, I can tell you that as a hospitalist for a year, hours are pretty bad, usually 12 hour shifts for a week at a time. I was in the same position your were in (IM vs. Gas) and ended up choosing IM with hope of doing cardiology, didn't work out and will be starting another residency in anesthesia this summer, couldn't be happier.

as a hospitalist, unless you are covering the ICU at night, you will do hardly any procedures and will be stuck with all the grunt work (admitting 5-15 patients a night, cross cover, discharge summaries, writing scripts, coordinating care, etc.)

another awesome thing with anesthesia is little to no overhead and you can always admit to the hospitalist for overnight obs.

My advice, if you like procedures go with anesthesia.

how difficult was it for you to match into anesthesia after having done an IM residency? Do you think having done an IM residency helped your chances of matching into anesthesia, or made it worse?

I am interested in the same thing with the hopes of doing cardio, but if that does not work out, then I will try for an anesthesia residency after IM.

Any one else have trouble choosing b/t 2 specialties (not limited to I'm or gas)?

I had a really hard time choosing between medicine and radiology. One of the things that made me decide to do radiology was that I could just do a medicine prelim year, try radiology on for size, and if it didn't work out then so be it; I could always go back and finish a medicine residency. The reverse wasn't true. The same opportunity would be there for you if you matched at an advanced, rather than categorical, anesthesiology program.

I can't really see the dilemma here. Do you like working in the OR and having little if any follow up with patients and dealing with surgeons all day? Do you like acute changes in physiology or giving a medicine that you hope will prevent a stroke 50 years from now? Or do you prefer rounding all day for many hours and taking care of trainwreck patients? These fields have almost nothing in common.

Hours are good in anesthesia. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't a lifestyle field. That's one of the major reasons people go into it.

Good luck. It can be hard to decide but I think you need to really evaluate what things about being a doctor you enjoy and the decision between these two fields should be pretty easy to sort out.

"how difficult was it for you to match into anesthesia after having done an IM residency? Do you think having done an IM residency helped your chances of matching into anesthesia, or made it worse?
I am interested in the same thing with the hopes of doing cardio, but if that does not work out, then I will try for an anesthesia residency after IM."

If you're going for cardiology, better be gung-ho from day 1 and become chief resident, I spent a lot of spare time doing research and had 3 projects not get published, got 4 interviews for cards fellowship, no acceptances. I thought about doing a post-doc but could not justify the opportunity cost of doing research for a few years then fellowship.

I would highly recommend against my route (IM->anesthesia) mainly because of opportunity cost and difficulty with residency funding. I was fortunate to have done residency at a large academic center with a huge gas program that had a resident drop out so funding was not an issue. I was surprised that I didn't get any invites from programs that had outside the match positions--when I called they said funding was the main issue.

Very different careers in practice--I ended up hating rounding on patients and all the paperwork and felt continuity of care to be very over-rated. You can avoid this as a nocturnist but it's hard to do this over the long term and have a balanced life.

For me if they paid the same with the same hours, I'd still go for anesthesia over IM, but you have to decide for yourself.

Wish you luck.

What I love about IM - chances for subspecialty, better hours following residency

I'd disagree with both of those. Anesthesia has plenty of subspecialty choices - cardiac and peds are very viable choices. Pain and CCM are as well, though they are almost different fields.

As for hours, the average rheum/allergy guy certainly works less than the average anesthesiologist, but there are plenty of day work gas jobs that are M-F 7-3 if you want that ... and they still make more than rheum. The best (and worst) thing about gas is that you are an interchangeable part and it makes schedule opportunities almost limitless in the number of hours/day, days/week and week/year that you work. No specialty that sees patients in followup can compare.

Not to mention that when your choices are
a) a job you like
b) something that has a chance of getting you a job you like

you should choose A every time.

I can't really see the dilemma here. Do you like working in the OR and having little if any follow up with patients and dealing with surgeons all day? Do you like acute changes in physiology or giving a medicine that you hope will prevent a stroke 50 years from now? Or do you prefer rounding all day for many hours and taking care of trainwreck patients? These fields have almost nothing in common.

:thumbup: this.

agree with other poster about matching a prelim med and advanced anesthesia position if at all possible (i know many anesthesia programs are going toward categorical). if you like procedures, instant gratification, don't like dealing with complaining patients, and can deal with the stress then i'd say pick anesthesiology all the way. internal medicine can be a real drag, and i don't think med students are really exposed to just how brutal it can be. there is a reason everyone specializes. and IM fellowship is no picnic. how many IM doctors are happy vs. anesthesiologists? it is not just the money in anesthesiology that is better. that being said i could never deal with the stress of anesthesiology. yikes. not for me.

:thumbup: this.

agree with other poster about matching a prelim med and advanced anesthesia position if at all possible (i know many anesthesia programs are going toward categorical). if you like procedures, instant gratification, don't like dealing with complaining patients, and can deal with the stress then i'd say pick anesthesiology all the way. internal medicine can be a real drag, and i don't think med students are really exposed to just how brutal it can be. there is a reason everyone specializes. and IM fellowship is no picnic. how many IM doctors are happy vs. anesthesiologists? it is not just the money in anesthesiology that is better. that being said i could never deal with the stress of anesthesiology. yikes. not for me.

Thanks for all the replies guys, its actually helped me quite a bit...although I realize the fields are very different, both are appealing to me albeit for different reasons.

Kral, when you say "the stress of anesthesia" do you refer to patients crashing/dealing with d!ckhole surgeons? Just curious...

My rank list is gonna start leaning towards putting gas programs on top - I think my problem is that although I want to subspecialize in I'm, I don't think I can stomach 3 years of general I'm residency to get there. Just don't like it enough...

If any one else has something to add, please do! Thanks again...

yeah, i'm talking the stress of dealing with mean surgeons (tho i guess you can just close the curtain most of the time and laugh at them when you get relieved for your lunch break??) and mainly am talking about when a patient crashes. yikes. i hate emergencies. i would probably be like a deer caught in the headlights if i were in this situation and would totally panic. anyway, i'm totally biased on my advice b/c my husband does anesthesia and loves it. we both did 1 year of medicine and didn't enjoy it (tho really, how could one possibly enjoy intern year of internal medicine?)

hey i have the same dilemma between gas vs. im. I just can't figure out which one I would like more. I like anesthesia because i like being in the OR and I like that "stress" where you need to make instantaneous decisions among other things. I like medicine cause you just feel like you know a lot and can specialize in GI or whatever and I also feel like i'm helping someone....

I think that is probably my biggest issue with anesthesia.... in most circumstances, i don't really feel like your doing anything that is life changing. This might sound totally absurd, but this has been my biggest debate for quite some time now. Any inputs is much appreciated.

Hours are good in anesthesia. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't a lifestyle field. That's one of the major reasons people go into it.

You're kidding, right?

We take in-house call post-residency. During residency, we don't have any month were we don't take call: not even IM can say that.

Private practice is q3-q7, 55-70+ hours a week, working in acute situations IM docs never see....

Anesthesiology is definitely not a "lifestyle" field. My hardest 36 hour general IM call pales in comparison to my average busy night of call in anesthesiology.

hey i have the same dilemma between gas vs. im. I just can't figure out which one I would like more. I like anesthesia because i like being in the OR and I like that "stress" where you need to make instantaneous decisions among other things. I like medicine cause you just feel like you know a lot and can specialize in GI or whatever and I also feel like i'm helping someone....

I think that is probably my biggest issue with anesthesia.... in most circumstances, i don't really feel like your doing anything that is life changing. This might sound totally absurd, but this has been my biggest debate for quite some time now. Any inputs is much appreciated.

There are tons of subspecialties in anesthesiology..and you deal with the entire spectrum of patients: ob, neuro, cardiac, pedi, thoracic, pain, critical care...you have to know alot about alot.

In anesthesiology, you won't be the superstar. To quote JPP, you'll be an NFL kicker or offensive lineman. However, you'll definitely do things that are lifechanging...

In general IM, you help with chronic care and it is life-changing over time. In anesthesiology, you have acute care which is life-changing before your eyes. In general IM, the patients will thank you for your work, and you'll develop relationships with them. In anesthesiology, most will never remember you, and hardly anyone will ever acknowledge the lives you've saved.

In IM, you have nurse practitioners claiming equivalency. In anesthesiology, you have CRNAs. Both are ludicrous, but both are constant threats to the survival of each specialty.

IM has rounding and long processes, while anesthesiology has quick, efficient, and acute patient interactions. If you enjoy cardiology, pulmonology, critical care, and plenty of hands-on invasive procedures, then anesthesiology is for you.

If I did IM, I would have done cardiology or CCM. Good luck in your decisions..

If I did IM, I would have done cardiology or CCM.

Me, too.

I ultimately decided on family medicine, of course, but if I had any desire to practice in the hospital (which I don't), those are the fields that I found most appealing.

It's funny how you can go from one extreme to another like that, but I ultimately decided that a sane schedule and continuity of care trumped high-acuity and cool procedures.

Me, too.

I ultimately decided on family medicine, of course, but if I had any desire to practice in the hospital (which I don't), those are the fields that I found most appealing.

It's funny how you can go from one extreme to another like that, but I ultimately decided that a sane schedule and continuity of care trumped high-acuity and cool procedures.

FM is a great specialty and one of my fav rotations during medical school. :thumbup:

You're kidding, right?

We take in-house call post-residency. During residency, we don't have any month were we don't take call: not even IM can say that.

Private practice is q3-q7, 55-70+ hours a week, working in acute situations IM docs never see....

Anesthesiology is definitely not a "lifestyle" field. My hardest 36 hour general IM call pales in comparison to my average busy night of call in anesthesiology.

Although many private practice jobs take call, what about the option for working in a surgi-center or just tailoring your hours to avoid call and simply take less pay? I've always been under the impression that although anesthesia is traditionally a call-heavy field, one has the flexibility to have a less demanding schedule is desired.

Also, if you take an academic position post-residency, doesn't that mean (in general) that any call you take should be light, assuming your residents assume that responsibility?

I'm sure no one likes to hear their field called a lifestyle field (though it doesn't bother me) but reality is reality. Maybe you aren't familiar with the ROAD to happiness in choosing a medical specialty.
Radiology
Ophthalmology
Anesthesia
Dermatology

Just because your program is understaffed doesn't mean it's a rigorous field in the real world. Any field with interchangeable parts (like anesthesia with CRNA's and use of other providers) will be a good lifestyle. There is no need for one person to "do" the entire case or cases so you can always change out to a new person and the case moves on (just think about a morning and afternoon coffee break and a lunch break, could you imagine surgeons doing that?)

I have friends in anesthesia residency and I have friends who are anesthesia attendings, maybe you just got the short end of things with program selection.

Also, if you take an academic position post-residency, doesn't that mean (in general) that any call you take should be light, assuming your residents assume that responsibility?

Call in Anesthesia generally means coming in to do cases (although there will be pain management issues as well in patients with epidurals and in some places where anesthesia writes for PCAs, etc. ) something that residents are not going to be doing alone.

So no, call isn't necessarily "light", even in academics; it depends on the environment.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is in private practice anesthesiology and makes a lot of money and she does not work very much. If "on call" she may get called in to do 1 or 2 cases, usually not really in the middle of the night, more like 7 or 10 p.m., and then go home by 6 or 7 the next day and be "off" the entire day and perhaps the next day. She definitely does not work 70 hours a week, probably not more than 40, and makes probably 300k, I think. She is in a small town, though. Anesthesia does have a lot of call months during their residency but it tends to be less frequent call than IM (we had Q3 and Q4 on all ward months, and staying up all night doing H and P and crosscover) and different call (just need to do procedures and/or cases in the OR, and usually gets to go home early the next morning, not staying 30 hours). That is just based on my recent experience in residency and that of my friends who did anesthesia.

There are some private practices where anesthesiologists work really hard, but that is your choice to join such a practice or not. I do think they work more, and harder, in more popular cities or in certain practices where they want to bill more and earn more.

:laugh:

Are you serious?

What's your specialty?

Another clueless resident..likely surgical...lower PGY's, maybe upper, depending on the specialty.

To the guy who asked the question: Anesthesiology isn't a lifestyle specialty. You want lifestyle? Go surgical subspec like ENT..go derm, radiology...

I'm sure no one likes to hear their field called a lifestyle field (though it doesn't bother me) but reality is reality. Maybe you aren't familiar with the ROAD to happiness in choosing a medical specialty.
Radiology
Ophthalmology
Anesthesia
Dermatology

Just because your program is understaffed doesn't mean it's a rigorous field in the real world. Any field with interchangeable parts (like anesthesia with CRNA's and use of other providers) will be a good lifestyle. There is no need for one person to "do" the entire case or cases so you can always change out to a new person and the case moves on (just think about a morning and afternoon coffee break and a lunch break, could you imagine surgeons doing that?)

I have friends in anesthesia residency and I have friends who are anesthesia attendings, maybe you just got the short end of things with program selection.

I am more than serious. If fact, I can't actually believe there is any debate about anesthesia being a lifestyle field. I thought it was a well known fact. If it makes you feel like a tough guy then please, go ahead and tell us all how hard it is.

I am quite happy to be in a lifestyle field (otolaryngology). I can assure you when we finish up our cancer whacks the anesthesia resident who started the case has long since gone home. Doesn't bother me at all. If I wanted to be a gas passer then I would have done that.

Cheers to you oh hard working one ;)

Thanks for reminding me why I will never work or step foot in the northeast...:laugh:

Good luck to you..

I am more than serious. If fact, I can't actually believe there is any debate about anesthesia being a lifestyle field. I thought it was a well known fact. If it makes you feel like a tough guy then please, go ahead and tell us all how hard it is.

I am quite happy to be in a lifestyle field (otolaryngology). I can assure you when we finish up our cancer whacks the anesthesia resident who started the case has long since gone home. Doesn't bother me at all. If I wanted to be a gas passer then I would have done that.

Cheers to you oh hard working one ;)

:laugh:

Are you serious?

What's your specialty?

Another clueless resident..likely surgical...lower PGY's, maybe upper, depending on the specialty.

To the guy who asked the question: Anesthesiology isn't a lifestyle specialty. You want lifestyle? Go surgical subspec like ENT..go derm, radiology...

Woah...not sure how you've convinced yourself of this one. I've literally watched as a new resident came on at 5 o'clock, in the middle of a case, to relieve the resident who started the case. You'll never see ENT residents do this, I'm quite sure.

Bro, the only ones that think anesthesiology and radiology are a lifestyle specialty are disgruntled cardiology, surgery, and ER residents. There are only two lifestyle specialties out of med school.

Derm and Rad Onc.

Thats it.

As to the original poster, it is easy decision. Match into Anesthesiology and do an intern year in internal medicine.
During your intern year do a rotation in Anesthesiology as one of your electives.

Don't go into Gas for perceived money or lifestyle. You have to like the day to day of Gas.

Bro, keep your options open. By the way, people have switched back into medicine after doing a year of Gas. Pick a career on interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys really feel that you can accurately comment on a specialty of which you're not a part?

Do you guys really feel that you can accurately comment on a specialty of which you're not a part?

Are you new to the intertron? The less one actually knows about something, the more adamant one is about it.

Seriously though, I agree. And to the OP, it's probably going to be easier (in general, understanding that there are exceptions to every rule) to get out of gas and into IM than the other way around. And as long as you match an advanced + prelim IM, you'll get a pretty good idea of whether you want to continue in IM or not. Agree with the poster who said you should do a gas month intern year if at all possible.

and different call (just need to do procedures and/or cases in the OR, and usually gets to go home early the next morning, not staying 30 hours).

So this is the classic misconception of anesthesiology. "Just need to do cases". You've never done a case, I know, but imagine having to be vigilant and 100% on the ball from the second you start a case, for hours on hours. Doesn't matter what time it is, or how many cases you've done. That simple outpatient sinus case could be a can't mask/can't intubate and is something that we are ALWAYS prepared for. Every case is an airway code. Every case could end in disaster. We are always prepared for the surgeon to put a back screw into the aorta, or iliac artery or any number of complications. "Just do a case" is exactly why we don't think our specialty is a lifestyle one. Cases done on call are potentially more complicated, sicker patients, and higher risk. Plus, while ENT might only have 1 emergent case to do, we cover all surgical specialties, so if ortho has 3 cases and ENT has 1 and gyn has 1 and surgery had 3, it's a lot of work and little down time.

Granted, not having rounds is probably enough to win the lifestyle award.

So this is the classic misconception of anesthesiology. "Just need to do cases". You've never done a case, I know, but imagine having to be vigilant and 100% on the ball from the second you start a case, for hours on hours. Doesn't matter what time it is, or how many cases you've done. That simple outpatient sinus case could be a can't mask/can't intubate and is something that we are ALWAYS prepared for. Every case is an airway code. Every case could end in disaster. We are always prepared for the surgeon to put a back screw into the aorta, or iliac artery or any number of complications. "Just do a case" is exactly why we don't think our specialty is a lifestyle one. Cases done on call are potentially more complicated, sicker patients, and higher risk. Plus, while ENT might only have 1 emergent case to do, we cover all surgical specialties, so if ortho has 3 cases and ENT has 1 and gyn has 1 and surgery had 3, it's a lot of work and little down time.

Lots of misconceptions around here. Look at what the young ENT resident said above...Anesthesiology is one of the highest stress level fields in medicine...I don't think that, with our private practice schedules, equates with a lifestyle field. Definitely a fan of not rounding, though..

Bro, misconceptions of all specialties are in this thread.

It comes down to this. If you dont like a specialty for whatever reason you will nitpick it and discuss other specialties are better because the grass is greener on the other side.

The secret to happiness in medicine is to find the right specialty based on your own traits and interests. Hearing other people discuss pros and cons of other fields just illustrates the fact that many people picked the wrong specialty in hind sight but now is too beat down or fatigued or lazy to start over.

Medicine is one of the broadest careers. If you are true to yourself than you will find happiness. There are even rad oncs and dermatologists that hate their life because they wish they had gone into a different specialty. Take a rotation as an intern in Gas and observe. Listen to yourself. Does it feel right.

many of you guys have mentioned that the OP should take a rotation in their internship year. How about the OP should have done electives/rotations as a med student. it's pretty easy to figure out what specialty is best for your by working hard in a rotation and i think those should be mandatory. If you would have rotated in anesthesia you would have known if you want to do anesthesia or not. too many people apply to a specialty they know nothing about or don't really have any interest in but only apply because they did surprising well on step1 and 2 and now feel like they're wasting time applying for IM or FM when they can match into a more prestigious specialty. What happened to just doing a rotation in medical school and picking what you loved the most, if you have scores that are well above those of an average applicant then apply to above average residency programs in the field that you love, but don't pick a specialty just because others will think you're a hot shot and you have the grades to get in so it's like you'll be wasting that 250 on step1 if you applied to FM with it and not something else.

many of you guys have mentioned that the OP should take a rotation in their internship year. How about the OP should have done electives/rotations as a med student. it's pretty easy to figure out what specialty is best for your by working hard in a rotation and i think those should be mandatory. If you would have rotated in anesthesia you would have known if you want to do anesthesia or not. too many people apply to a specialty they know nothing about or don't really have any interest in but only apply because they did surprising well on step1 and 2 and now feel like they're wasting time applying for IM or FM when they can match into a more prestigious specialty. What happened to just doing a rotation in medical school and picking what you loved the most, if you have scores that are well above those of an average applicant then apply to above average residency programs in the field that you love, but don't pick a specialty just because others will think you're a hot shot and you have the grades to get in so it's like you'll be wasting that 250 on step1 if you applied to FM with it and not something else.

Definitely a good point, I have done a rotation in gas wouldn't pursue it if I didn't see myself doing it for a living.

Thing is though, I'm actually a current resident in a different specialty (OB/GYN) who is switching out because I'm not happy. I based my decision to go into GYN on my med school rotations, and its naive for anyone to think that one month exposure (as a student OR resident) will give an accurate representation of what residency/post-residency will be like. I certainly thought GYN was for me - and it was only 7 months into residency until I decided it wasn't.

Some are very lucky to find their first "love" in terms of specialty coming out of school, but many are not. Hopefully I get it right this time :D

Not going to drag myself into the mud over something so stupid. I've got some good friends in anesthesia and I don't want to slam the entire field to prove a dumb point to some internet tough guy who thinks he works more and has the most stressful job in the hospital.

Last edited:
LOL, you're not even in said specialty.... *sighs*

Doing a rotation as a medical student and resident are completely different. As a resident you have responsibilities that you cannot anticipate as a medical student.

Interestingly, the people that escape tough residencies such as Surgery and Ob?Gyn for perceived easier lifestyle specialties such as ER, Anesthesiology, or Radiology are not happy either. There is a reason you didnt pick that second specialty in the first place.

The key is to realize that you will work hard in every specialty. Find a field that you can tolerate the downsidess and enjoy reading the specialties literature. Even if you match into Derm or Rad Onc if you dont like reading about skin or physics for the rest of your life you will be miserable.

Specialty competitiveness and reimbursement changes over time. Pick something that you can see yourself reading that specialties journal during your free time.

It is in the "ROAD" to success, so it is a very COMMON, if not wrong, misconception that anesthesia is one of the easier specialties. I think your post did give a good argument, and is true you don't just do cases... you also forgot about ICU time if that is part of your residency (more and more Anesthesia runs ICU's out there... they run the CT ICU here, Surg runs SICU, Med runs MICU...). But, here are a few counterpoints to show why others might perceive it as a lifestyle specialty...

Hours hours hours... especially surgical specialties see that Gas has become shift work. Residents are there from 7 til 3, maybe 7 til 5, and then get subbed out. As the above mentioned ENT resident said, if the case goes for 20hours (and for ENT, Composite Resection with free flap can easily go 20 hours... I have seen it) that resident is in the case from start to finish (unless you have a nice attending who lets you scrub out when plastics is doing the free flap... then you go to the bathroom, eat, and come back for another 6-8 hours of reconstruction). On call residents are also shift work, so if it isn't pure night float (meaning fresh crew from 5 til 7, or whenever) then the residents definately leave at 7am with no turnover, no rounding, etc. Med, Surg, Peds, if they are Q3 or Q4, they are putting in 30 hours days regularly and leave when work is done, not when time is up... but if it were all hours, then the easiest specialty is EM hands down... they only work 56 hours a week during residency... but then again, 1 hour in the ER feels like 20 hours in the OR... Gas residents are working from when they get in til leaving besides food breaks, where as I have seen surg, med, etc residents sitting in call rooms waiting for stuff, or chilling for the hour in between cases while Gas is doing their preop thing...

to quote you... "but imagine having to be vigilant and 100% on the ball from the second you start a case" I will counter this with an anedot that represent the exception, not the rule, but perpetuate the idea that this is BS... I have, on more than 1 occasion, seen Gas asleep at the wheel, only woken up when the surgeon asks them about a hr, bp, o2 sat, or something. Yeah, theoretically the gas should be paying attention and vigilant 100% of the time, but you are telling me you have never got some shut eye, or read (even if it is educational reading) during a case? There is a reason CRNA's can observe during the case...
To seriously counter this idea though, again, for the surgical specialties out there, while you are ALWAYS prepared for something to go wrong, the surgeons are always vigilant and 100% on the ball for the entire case, since they are performing surgery, will be cutting and putting a back screw near the aorta... and if it does happen, while Gas provides the support needed, if the patient lives, it is because the surgeon fixed that hole in the aorta... it is a cooperative, and if that is your only reason why it is a hard specialty, then any surgeon will argue (not necessarily correctly) that your life is much easier than theirs.

Again to quote you "Cases done on call are potentially more complicated, sicker patients, and higher risk. Plus, while ENT might only have 1 emergent case to do, we cover all surgical specialties, so if ortho has 3 cases and ENT has 1 and gyn has 1 and surgery had 3" I will refer to the above 2 arguements as well, since same applies, but also, those emergent cases likely came in thru the ER or was a patient on the floor who decompensated, which means the resident already put a lot of high stress energy and effort into the patient evaluating and working up, and then now has to do an emergent case, which, as I stated above, is likely much more stressful and anxioty ridden for the surgeon than the gas. But, conversely, gas will likely get a case every night... ENT residents don't do call cases that often (but often have cases that last until the call team). There isn't an acute appy every night. So again, steady stressful work vs patchy very stressful work... both sucks, both work hard, there is no easy thing in medicine

Am I saying Gas is easy? Definately not. I wouldn't argue that any medical field, even the ROAD is easy. They all work their arses off. They all have their things that they dread happening or dread coming in. Each field has its benefits and perks, and its drawbacks. People should go into a field where they love the benefits (be it not rounding, managing vital signs like its an opera, procedures like lines, intubations, the hours) and can handle the drawbacks (being treated like ancillary members of the team, no direct patients, no respect on SDN forums, not knowing what to do with all your money and free time...) and all this macho strutting their stuff and trying to prove whose the manliest (or womanliest) of the men (or women) is all BS. And if you are miserable, you will think your life is so much harder and painful.

It is in the "ROAD" to success, so it is a very COMMON, if not wrong, misconception that anesthesia is one of the easier specialties. I think your post did give a good argument, and is true you don't just do cases... you also forgot about ICU time if that is part of your residency (more and more Anesthesia runs ICU's out there... they run the CT ICU here, Surg runs SICU, Med runs MICU...). But, here are a few counterpoints to show why others might perceive it as a lifestyle specialty...

It is a common misconception. The point of my posting about anesthesiology is two fold: a) to help medical students see through the misconceptions and sense a bit of reality, and b) to keep the lifestylers out of our field.

Hours hours hours... especially surgical specialties see that Gas has become shift work. Residents are there from 7 til 3, maybe 7 til 5, and then get subbed out.

Anesthesiology can sub people out, that's one of the strengths of it. I'd say a typical day is working 6 am to 5 pm when not on call, til 6 pm as a junior resident.

As the above mentioned ENT resident said, if the case goes for 20hours (and for ENT, Composite Resection with free flap can easily go 20 hours... I have seen it) that resident is in the case from start to finish (unless you have a nice attending who lets you scrub out when plastics is doing the free flap... then you go to the bathroom, eat, and come back for another 6-8 hours of reconstruction).

For long flaps, residents and attendings have the opportunity to scrub out as well. I'd wager to say that anyone who goes 20 hours without scrubbing out for bathroom/water/food, is putting the patient at risk. Nobody is superhuman. In anesthesiology, you generally have a 15 minute morning break, and a 30 minute lunch break, for the 12 hour day, or, if on call, throughout call, with dinner coming anywhere from 530 pm til much later, depending on the case loads.

On call residents are also shift work, so if it isn't pure night float (meaning fresh crew from 5 til 7, or whenever) then the residents definately leave at 7am with no turnover, no rounding, etc.

This is generally not true. The on call residents are the ones who came in @ 0600 and stay til 0700 or later the next day. There is no rounding, except ICU and Pain, which is a definite bonus of the specialty.

Med, Surg, Peds, if they are Q3 or Q4, they are putting in 30 hours days regularly and leave when work is done, not when time is up... but if it were all hours, then the easiest specialty is EM hands down... they only work 56 hours a week during residency... but then again, 1 hour in the ER feels like 20 hours in the OR...

Anesthesiology is often q3 during residency, averages out to q4-q5, with no consult months. I loved the ER, almost went into it, and while busy, anesthesiology is a different sort of busy. Some cases can be non-stop crazy (generally not the ENT ones...most surg subspecs like ENT/ophtho have healthy patients, so the cases aren't that exciting from an anesthesia standpoint. Therefore, the misconception of us not really doing anything). I'm being honest when I tell you that my hardest 36 hour internal medicine call as an intern didn't compare to my hardest 24 (25) hour anesthesiology call, in terms of stress/physical toll/difficulty. This is really important for med students to understand!

Gas residents are working from when they get in til leaving besides food breaks, where as I have seen surg, med, etc residents sitting in call rooms waiting for stuff, or chilling for the hour in between cases while Gas is doing their preop thing...

Anesthesiology is generally pretty non-stop, while there are slow down times within medicine/surg rounding, during the day...In the rare instance where there are no cases in the OR overnight, you're obviously chillin, as long as you dont have other duties.

to quote you... "but imagine having to be vigilant and 100% on the ball from the second you start a case" I will counter this with an anedot that represent the exception, not the rule, but perpetuate the idea that this is BS...

He's right...and the idea isn't BS.

I have, on more than 1 occasion, seen Gas asleep at the wheel, only woken up when the surgeon asks them about a hr, bp, o2 sat, or something.

Wow, are you serious? The resident would be kicked out of the program immediately at any of the places I'm familiar with. This is NOT the norm.

Yeah, theoretically the gas should be paying attention and vigilant 100% of the time, but you are telling me you have never got some shut eye, or read (even if it is educational reading) during a case? There is a reason CRNA's can observe during the case...

Never gotten any shut eye. Read some? Yes. Studies have been performed and shown that reading does not effect the ability of residents to focus in on the case. If you see us reading (which is only during relatively stable times), we are still paying attention to every little detail.

To seriously counter this idea though, again, for the surgical specialties out there, while you are ALWAYS prepared for something to go wrong, the surgeons are always vigilant and 100% on the ball for the entire case, since they are performing surgery, will be cutting and putting a back screw near the aorta... and if it does happen, while Gas provides the support needed, if the patient lives, it is because the surgeon fixed that hole in the aorta... it is a cooperative, and if that is your only reason why it is a hard specialty, then any surgeon will argue (not necessarily correctly) that your life is much easier than theirs.

The surgeons focus on their work, we focus on ours. It's really two completely different things we are both focusing on. If things go wrong, outside of a massive bleeder, the surgeon backs away while the anesthesiologist fixes it. Or, more usual and ideally, the surgeon never has to hear about something going wrong, because we've already fixed it before it became a huge issue.

Again to quote you "Cases done on call are potentially more complicated, sicker patients, and higher risk. Plus, while ENT might only have 1 emergent case to do, we cover all surgical specialties, so if ortho has 3 cases and ENT has 1 and gyn has 1 and surgery had 3" I will refer to the above 2 arguements as well, since same applies, but also, those emergent cases likely came in thru the ER or was a patient on the floor who decompensated, which means the resident already put a lot of high stress energy and effort into the patient evaluating and working up, and then now has to do an emergent case, which, as I stated above, is likely much more stressful and anxioty ridden for the surgeon than the gas.

The work up may or may not (likely) have been done on this patient. Why should this be more stressful on the surgeon? Once again, they have a surgical problem to deal with, we take care of the medical/physiological issues that are, as you say, decompensated, to enable this to happen. This can be stressful for all involved, but the anesthesiologist is the primary physician responsible for the patient making it out of the OR alive and in good shape.

But, conversely, gas will likely get a case every night... ENT residents don't do call cases that often (but often have cases that last until the call team). There isn't an acute appy every night. So again, steady stressful work vs patchy very stressful work... both sucks, both work hard, there is no easy thing in medicine

Steady stressful work describes anesthesiology. Benefits are no rounding, and a bit more of a controllable lifestyle, in that you and your partners can break up call easier than a surgical group.

Am I saying Gas is easy? Definately not. I wouldn't argue that any medical field, even the ROAD is easy. They all work their arses off. They all have their things that they dread happening or dread coming in. Each field has its benefits and perks, and its drawbacks. People should go into a field where they love the benefits (be it not rounding, managing vital signs like its an opera, procedures like lines, intubations, the hours) and can handle the drawbacks (being treated like ancillary members of the team, no direct patients, no respect on SDN forums, not knowing what to do with all your money and free time...) and all this macho strutting their stuff and trying to prove whose the manliest (or womanliest) of the men (or women) is all BS. And if you are miserable, you will think your life is so much harder and painful.

You had a lot of misconceptions above, and I hope the above post helps you and other medical students out in making your decision. Once again, the drawbacks do not include being "treated like ancillary members": that's ridiculous. Also, we have direct patient contact, but not having our own "patients" is a huge benefit. "No respect on SDN forums": That's stupid, and who cares if some young ENT resident or others berate anesthesiology? I want to get the truth out for any med students considering the field.

The macho stuff? I think you were looking at posts from people in other fields. :laugh: Once again, there are criticisms of every field, lets just keep them accurate.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Yeah, theoretically the gas should be paying attention and vigilant 100% of the time, but you are telling me you have never got some shut eye, or read (even if it is educational reading) during a case?

I've never slept during a case. If you're interested in this topic, you should read about microsleep and sleep deprivation (which affects all sleep deprived specialties, including surgeons). Also, don't confuse not staring at the monitor with not being vigilant. You probably aren't aware of the wealth of information that is available to us through the environment. I'm referring to the audible pulse oximeter, suction, ventilator sounds, BP cuff, bovie etc. During the maintenance phase of an anesthetic, sometimes I'll read a journal article or search pubmed. This actually enhances attention and reduces reaction time (this has also been studied).

My point of posting was to dispel the notion that all we have such an easy life because all we do is a case. Anesthesiology as a specialty realized a long time ago the negative effect of sleep deprivation and the importance of having relief. I routinely will finish my cases, although some don't. A few weeks ago I finished a case at 11pm, and was supposed to come back for a 7:30 am start. Even though I came back in time to start my case, my program made me non-clinical to ensure that the patient would be cared for by a well rested anesthetist.

I don't bash other specialties. Surgeons have a tough life, no doubt about it, so do internists/hospitalists and others. But everyone has the choice to work in a practice environment that meets their needs and expectations (boutique/cosmetics/outpatient etc). Anesthesiologists, being acute care consultants, have a different relationship with patients than most. It's usually a brief, intense one but one that is incredibly valued by patients. Just because I work 60 hours a week and my call is 3p-7a (previous years it was 7a-7p), doesn't mean it's any less intense or "easier". It's just different.

I was confused between Rads Vs Gas, My rotation in rads was ok nothing super exciting. I had some bad experiences with gas rotation. I was following a cardiac gas guy pretty old and had lot of experience. We were setting up a patient for bypass surgery we were little late and a young surgeon walks in and sees that we are still intubating the patient, becomes restless and breathes heavily and demands to know why the patient was still not ready and this old guy was trembling and tried to speed up things and this happend over and over again with different surgery and gas guys. The surgery guys were always A holes and gas guys had no ego. I went to rads. May be it was different in some other hospital but for me it was enough bad experience to drop Gas

Wait you went into radiology because of a bad experience in Gas. Haha.

Get used to angry young and old ER, Surgeons, Internists, and actually every other specialty in medicine call you nonstop or stop by the reading room to ask you why his/her study has not been read in a smartarse, condescending, and/or belligerant tone.

Im sure you will say that you have been busy nonstop readin other CTs and MRIs (which is true). No one cares because THEIR study has not been read.

Buddy, if you think Gas men have very low prestige and get treated badly wait until you hit radiology. You will be hated by every other physician because they think you just sit around drink coffee and check ESPN.com all day. In reality, you are THINKING the whole time and hoping you don't miss anything by checking every single inch of every single study since every thing on an image is ultimately a radiologists responsiblity.

Radiology and Anesthesiology do have one common trait. People think these specialties are easy and have good hours. However, they are both extremely stressful, highly litigenous, work unwanted hours, have very limited tangible fulfillment, treated with disrespect during and after residency.

Nice job escaping Gas into a specialty that is 2nd most sued next to obstetrics, work nights weekends holidays, read 25,000 to 30,000 studies a year. There is so much volume that radiologists have to eat lunch at the viewbox.

Plus, 90 percent of radiology residents do a fellowship not because they want to but there is so much information to know people prefer to subspecialize. Think about it. If you finished radiology at PGY5. Why would so many rads residents do a fellowship? Do you think they want 1-2 more years of $45,000 to $55,000 after going through 4 years of medical school and 5 years of residency? Of course not. The amount of information a radiologist must know is that broad.

Consider this fact. A good radiologist must know all of the different kinds of surgeries (don't have to know how to the surgeries) to know what it would look like on a CT and/or an MR. This is how you provide useful information to the surgeon. Now consider all of the surgery subspecialties that a radiologist helps. A good radiologist helps almost every specialty in the hospital. Therefore they have to learn the information during residency to talk to an orthopedic surgeon, a neurosurgeon, pediatric surgeon etc. You have to know all of the OB stuff cold to correlate all of the Ob ultrasounds. The amount of information that a radiologist must know is unbelieveable because they have to have a working knowledge of every subspecialty in the hospital to help such a broad cross section of specialties.

Add it all up and you are looking at going all the to PGY6 or PGY7.

Radiology is definitely not easy therefore you better really like it. You will read more in a radiology residency than in 4 years of medical school.

Just think about that and let that sink in.

Reading all of the time for 4 years at night while you have a job as a resident.

Plus reimbursement is coming down and jobs in cities are hard to get. Job market is so tight now that radiologists looking for a job have to settle for rural areas far away from civilization.

You are in for a rude awakening in radiology. The mental stress is extremely taxing.

I ll give you an example. Remember how your head felt after taking USMLE Step 1 at the end of the test day.
Your brain was fried because you sat in front of a computer and concentrated the whole time trying not to miss anything. This exact feeling is what you will feel after your 1st year of radiology residency. You concentrate on every CT scan MR, X ray because each study is a person that can and will sue you for missing something or delay in diagnosis. The volume of studies each day is brain frying. You constantly get interrupted by phone calls and people stopping by the room. You become trappe to your seat and must read images like an automaton.

After a long day like this you have to go home and read to keep up. Since imaging plays such acritical role in management the radiologist is ultimately responsible for 20,000 to 30,000 patients a year that can sue you.

Plus in radiology residency there are close to ten different rotationns which means every month is a new month to read something new and master. At least in other specialties you do mutltiple rotations of something to get proficient.

Lastly, do a google search on image cuts. It is no secret that healthcare costs are spiraling out of control and polticians are trying to control costs.

Guess what. Imaging is the largest component of the healthcare costs. Why do you think radiology got a 21% cut for 2010. Annual cuts in radiology is accepted by all radiologists now. It wont be pretty until healthcare costs are contained which wont happen because increase in radiology studies are due to defensive medicine. Ny cutting reimbursement, you are crippling radiologists and not addressing the primary problem. but i digress.

The scary thing is that radiologists will have to read more studies tio keep up. But guess what. currently radiologists have to read a Chest or abdominal CT with nearly 1000 images in 3 minutes.
Easy you say? Did I mention you have to dictate and proofread for mistakes within that 3 minutes. You will become an editor for all 150 to 200 studies you dictate a day. Hope you like reading your reports.
Can you read 1000 images in 3 minutes, dictate the study, and proofread the study formisspellings and homonyms.

This is why radiologists toss and turn at night of insomnia.

Two competing factors One is to read a study as fast as you can to please the referring physicians. But this means you will miss findings to spped up and hence miss things and get sued. You speed up to please but then you decrease accuracy.

Add it all up. Radiology is one of the most stressful medical specialties due to malpractice, volume of studies, low job security, factory assembly line nature of reading studies, and constant interruptions.

Last edited:
@Bluemangroup: You make some good points regarding Radiology. Looking in from the outside, it does look like an ideal workday. It's only when you look a little closer do you realize the stress that they deal with.

Just one question though - as a medical student, how did you become so familiar with the field? Friends or family as radiologists?

Oh, and to keep the thread on track: I think IM and Gas are fairly far apart on the spectrum. OneStrongBro had some good advice. If you don't enjoy the pharmacology/physiology that goes with Gas, it'll be a long residency. As medicine becomes more like assembly-line work, true 'lifestyle' fields will be rare to find. Go with what satisfies your interests, and is in line with your abilities.

Honestly, I have to wonder about the motivations of posters on this thread. Bluemangroup, you make some good points, at the same time your post reads like you are a med student interested in rads perhaps trying to discourage others from pursuing the field. Not saying that is the case, just that is how it comes across. Radiologists are making more than a lot of surgeons, definitely most 'gas guys', at least where I am from. That alone should more than make up for any perceived lack of 'prestige' from those docs.

I would argue that Rads has better job security than Gas because Gas has the CRNA issue. Job security must be pretty good if every specialty is calling to get their scans read so urgently...

As an anesthesiologist in private practice, I would say that dealing with surgeons 99.9% of the time is not a hassle at all. We are on the same page most of the time. They respect us for our input and we respect their input.

Yes, the hours can be bad. But atleast you get to come in with scrubs. They are nice and comfortable.

The money is good and there is enough time off to do what you want. For me that involves playing lots of golf. Peace out....:D

Oh, one more thing. You do have to be pretty crafty with your hands, otherwise you will not make it in private practice.

Honestly, I have to wonder about the motivations of posters on this thread. Bluemangroup, you make some good points, at the same time your post reads like you are a med student interested in rads perhaps trying to discourage others from pursuing the field. Not saying that is the case, just that is how it comes across. Radiologists are making more than a lot of surgeons, definitely most 'gas guys', at least where I am from. That alone should more than make up for any perceived lack of 'prestige' from those docs.

I would argue that Rads has better job security than Gas because Gas has the CRNA issue. Job security must be pretty good if every specialty is calling to get their scans read so urgently...

Most medical students fall into the money trap. Because of student loans, they pick specialties with "good lifestyles" that pay good money such as Anesthesiology and Radiology. When these students go into these specialties they realize that 4 years of medical school did nothing to prepare them for these unique specialties. It is essentially starting all over. They realize they don't like reading the books in these specialties and stick with the residency because of student loans. Once they finish residency, they count down the days to retirement and they end up "tolerating" their jobs.

This isn't how you should live. Ask yourself. What makes radiology and anesthesiology so attractive to you? If you say money you will hate the field. Going into Rads and Gas because of money and/or controllable lifestyle is the dumbest thing that you can do because even if you got paid, you still have to go into a job that gives you very little job fulfillment. You will start going through the motions because the job gives you very little fulfillment and eventually hate your career and your life. Imagine going into a job that you hate every single day for the next 20-30 years. Is that worth it?

In the end, you will realize that you life is empty if your career was innately meaningless to you. You have to truly like the specialty that you go into.

In radiology, radiology groups fire new hires before they make partnerships because 1000+ new radiologists are in the job pool every year. So yes, there is very little job security. Ask radiologists how many jobs they have had in their life. Since radiologists don't bring in patients to a hospital and have patient loyalty they are easily expendable.

Also, since national groups are competing with local groups via teleradiology, competition brings down interpretation costs. In fact, you can be the best radiologist in your group and still be fired because whole groups have been fired and replaced with cheaper teleradiology groups that read studies from California such as imaging advanage.

http://www.imaging-advantage.com/

Lastly, we all focus on money and lifestyle. But we fail to think about respect, stress, job security, and sense of fulfillment.

I know radiologists and anesthesiologists that love their lives. And I know many that hate their lives because their internal self is not consistent with their external self.

For example, if one believes he/she went into medical school because he has a purpose to help people and heal them then ends up in a ROADS specialty that has very little patient contact that internal to external mismatch will slowly kill his/her spirit.

We all say we want an easy job that pays a lot of money and alot of free time. However, ultimately what we really want is a job that we would love to go in every single day of our life.

You cannot lie to yourself. Even if you had a lot of money and free time like a wealthy celebrity that does not give you true fulfillment.

True fulfillment comes from being proud of your job, being good at it, and being consistent with your internal image. Your external self must match with your internal self.

Money, vacation, and free time will never bring happiness if it meant that you sold your self out for a career that brings you very little internal fulfillment.

Playing golf every week will never mask the disappointment of picking a career that does not fit with a career that matches your ideal internal self. Your life and career will feel empty and unrewarding. Don't fall into the money trap.

Last edited:
Sure students should realize that money alone will not make them happy, especially if they don't like their job. Still, let's not lie to students and tell them radiologists have bad job security, horrible lifestyle etc. Lots of stress in fields like surgery, anesthesia, cardiology, after all I hope people realize medicine is generally a pretty stressful career.

Radiology does pay great though, that's for sure!

If your concern is that students are not adequately prepared for gas or rads residency after 4 years of medical school, how about you tell them how they could better prepare themselves?

Most medical students fall into the money trap. Because of student loans, they pick specialties with "good lifestyles" that pay good money such as Anesthesiology and Radiology. When these students go into these specialties they realize that 4 years of medical school did nothing to prepare them for these unique specialties. It is essentially starting all over. They realize they don't like reading the books in these specialties and stick with the residency because of student loans. Once they finish residency, they count down the days to retirement and they end up "tolerating" their jobs.

This isn't how you should live. Ask yourself. What makes radiology and anesthesiology so attractive to you? If you say money you will hate the field. Going into Rads and Gas because of money and/or controllable lifestyle is the dumbest thing that you can do because even if you got paid, you still have to go into a job that gives you very little job fulfillment. You will start going through the motions because the job gives you very little fulfillment and eventually hate your career and your life. Imagine going into a job that you hate every single day for the next 20-30 years. Is that worth it?

In the end, you will realize that you life is empty if your career was innately meaningless to you. You have to truly like the specialty that you go into.

In radiology, radiology groups fire new hires before they make partnerships because 1000+ new radiologists are in the job pool every year. So yes, there is very little job security. Ask radiologists how many jobs they have had in their life. Since radiologists don't bring in patients to a hospital and have patient loyalty they are easily expendable.

Also, since national groups are competing with local groups via teleradiology, competition brings down interpretation costs. In fact, you can be the best radiologist in your group and still be fired because whole groups have been fired and replaced with cheaper teleradiology groups that read studies from California such as imaging advanage.

http://www.imaging-advantage.com/

Lastly, we all focus on money and lifestyle. But we fail to think about respect, stress, job security, and sense of fulfillment.

I know radiologists and anesthesiologists that love their lives. And I know many that hate their lives because their internal self is not consistent with their external self.

For example, if one believes he/she went into medical school because he has a purpose to help people and heal them then ends up in a ROADS specialty that has very little patient contact that internal to external mismatch will slowly kill his/her spirit.

We all say we want an easy job that pays a lot of money and alot of free time. However, ultimately what we really want is a job that we would love to go in every single day of our life.

You cannot lie to yourself. Even if you had a lot of money and free time like a wealthy celebrity that does not give you true fulfillment.

True fulfillment comes from being proud of your job, being good at it, and being consistent with your internal image. Your external self must match with your internal self.

Money, vacation, and free time will never bring happiness if it meant that you sold your self out for a career that brings you very little internal fulfillment.

Playing golf every week will never mask the disappointment of picking a career that does not fit with a career that matches your ideal internal self. Your life and career will feel empty and unrewarding. Don't fall into the money trap.

A lie?

You are so clueless and what do you know? You are a freakin medical student and I am a current radiology resident.

Pay Great? Pathology paid much higher than radiology in the 90's and early 2000's before the government stepped in with medicare cuts. How do you think the people that went into Pathology because of money are feeling now? Medical specialty reimbursment is temporal and it changes. If you don't go into a field because of sincere interest you are EXTREMELY DUMB and will be miserable.

Radiology is at the beginning of annual cuts with a whopping 21% (highest of any medical specialty) cut in 2009 that goes into effect in 2010. If you enter radiology now for money, by the time you finish in 2017 the money will NOT be there. Good luck going all the way thru Pgy 6 and Pgy 7 hoping you will get a big payoff at the end. LMAO.

Healthcare costs are out of control and imaging costs are the highest expenditures. Politicians have all said that healthcare costs will be contained via cutting imaging costs. If you want to make money, pick a field that you think will be lucrative 10 years from now (my bet is on Neurology via neurointerventional procedures and reading much more Brain MRs themselves).

Radiology jobs have no job security. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Is it because you sit in the reading room?

There is no free lunch in medicine whether it be in radiology or anesthesiology.

As for lifestyle.

Are you freaking kidding me. Radiologists have a better lifestyle than surgeons, but that doesn't mean radiology is a lifestyle field. Do you consider working NIGHTS, WEEKENDS, AND HOLIDAYS lifestyle friendly for the rest of your radiology career?

Since the advent of the CTs and the emergence of PACS, all physicians want a quick read. ERs are open 24 hours a day. Who do you think reads all of the emergent studies from the ER?

Do some due diligence before you post such idiotic comments.

As for prepare for radiology, there is nothing that you can do. Your first year of radiology residency, you will feel like the first week of medical school. You will know nothing and have to learn a lot.

WHY DO YOU THINK ALL RADIOLOGY 1ST YEARS ARE PROHIBITED FROM DOING CALL THEIR FIRST YEAR? (You are not getting off easy by the way, the 1st year calls are split up in the next 3 years so radiology residents have a lot of call during their last two years of residency)

Answer: Studies have shown that lack of information and preparedness of 1st year radiology residents have KILLED people. Radiology is very hard, you have to read alot to be useful, and mistakes KILL people.

It is like learning a new language to dictate studies, findings etc. In medicine, surgery, ER, pediatrics etc you help out the team by being a SUBI.

There is no "SUB I' for radiology. All a medical student can do is observe because there is nothing a medical student can do to help.

I STAND BY MY COMMENTS.

OMG, you are so clueless about radiology. It makes me laugh. Radiology is NOT a good gig if you are not willing to be an extremely hard worker.

Ask anyone.

Which is worse Physical Stress or Mental Stress? Physical labor or Mental labor?

Radiology is one of the MOST mentally stressful medical specialties. You have to CONCENTRATE the whole time.

Plus, during overnight call you are glued in the chair all night with no break with nonstop phone calls asking for a "wet read". Nonstop reading CTS and MRIs for 10-12 hours straight. You read close to 200 CTs and MRs a night. Then you have to go to Fluoro and do emergent procedures by yourself such as Lumbar puntures, barium swallow, Testicular Ultrasounds etc.

EVERY RADIOLOGY RESIDENT WILL TELL YOU THAT THEIR INTERN CALL IS MUCH EASIER THAN RADIOLOGY CALL. ONE MISTAKE SOMEONE DIES IN THE ER, GETS SENT TO THE OR BY MISTAKE, OR A TESTICULAR TORSION IS MISSED. EVERY STUDY HAS CONSEQUENCES AT NIGHT WHETHER YOU MISS THE FINDING OR FAIL TO CONTACT SOMEONE.

Medical students are so clueless.

No specialty in medicine is easy. If you are looking for easy, please quit right out of medical school and go into business, consulting, or free lancing. The mistake that you made was to start medical school. Cut your losses now, rather than go into fields like Anesthesiology or Radiology. You will be happier in the long run.

Last edited: