DO Match List 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncguy2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed skimming through this thread a while back. So thought I'd try to start a new one for this year. Although I don't even start medical school for a few more months, I think its cool to see how everyone in all the osteopathic schools end up. So in anticipation of the match lists coming out over the next month or two... can you 4th years use this thread to add lists to?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah.. yeah, the 0020 time threw me. Yes, match was today. Scramble was particularly harsh this year I hear. More unmatched US seniors than positions available this year for the scramble.

Ah.. yeah, the 0020 time threw me. Yes, match was today. Scramble was particularly harsh this year I hear. More unmatched US seniors than positions available this year for the scramble.

Not a good sign

: / Guess I should start praying for more residency programs to open up in the next 4 years.

No kidding...Derm by a DO in the MD world is unheard of really.

Yeah. That one blew me away. I would love to meet that guy. I mean, if you ever sleuth the derm forums ... you'll find some sad stories about top notch MD students getting turned away, and people essentially scoff when you bring up DOs doing MD derm. I wonder if this pattern will continue, because as far as I know, there was 1 MD derm from Nova in 2009, and 1 MD derm from CCOM in 08. I mean, I guess that isn't much of a 'pattern,' but I seriously find it impressive. I have a friend at a top, top allopathic school who said he gave up on derm after their first exam. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. That one blew me away. I would love to meet that guy. I mean, if you ever sleuth the derm forums ... you'll find some sad stories about top notch MD students getting turned away, and people essentially scoff when you bring up DOs doing MD derm. I wonder if this pattern will continue, because as far as I know, there was 1 MD derm from Nova in 2009, and 1 MD derm from CCOM in 08. I mean, I guess that isn't much of a 'pattern,' but I seriously find it impressive. I have a friend at a top, top allopathic school who said he gave up on derm after their first exam. lol.

I also saw someone who got into an MD opthalmology from that list! Very impressive from AZCOM.

After reviewing that list, it seems like two people from AZCOM matched into an MD derm. Also, that person who matched into MD RadOnc got into Baylor College of Medicine!

Last edited:
Yeah. That one blew me away. I would love to meet that guy.

If I remember correctly, AZCOM students have the option of doing rotations at Mayo Clinic location in Scottsdale, which might have helped him in the process. One of the students I talked to over lunch on my interview day there mentioned the Scottsdale rotations while talking about somebody from AZCOM who'd recently got into Mayo for Anesthesiology.

This doesn't diminish the accomplishment of getting matched into such a prestigious residency at Mayo, but being able to rotate somewhere at least gives you a chance to impress the right people. And I could be way off; he could have rotated somewhere else and just impressed the hell out of them at the interview. Who knows?

Good to hear a success story, though. I've been seeing a lot of threads about people scrambling, which sounds like a nightmare to go through.

I also saw someone who got into an MD opthalmology from that list! Very impressive from AZCOM.

After reviewing that list, it seems like two people from AZCOM matched into an MD derm. Also, that person who matched into MD RadOnc got into Baylor College of Medicine!

I think the other one is DO derm ... the person probably just has an unofficial agreement because for DO derm you have to match a rotating internship and then apply for derm during that year (as far as I know).

If I remember correctly, AZCOM students have the option of doing rotations at Mayo Clinic location in Scottsdale, which might have helped him in the process. One of the students I talked to over lunch on my interview day there mentioned the Scottsdale rotations while talking about somebody from AZCOM who'd recently got into Mayo for Anesthesiology.

This doesn't diminish the accomplishment of getting matched into such a prestigious residency at Mayo, but being able to rotate somewhere at least gives you a chance to impress the right people. And I could be way off; he could have rotated somewhere else and just impressed the hell out of them at the interview. Who knows?

Good to hear a success story, though. I've been seeing a lot of threads about people scrambling, which sounds like a nightmare to go through.

Nah, I bet he rotated there.

No kidding...Derm by a DO in the MD world is unheard of really.

Not really, the year before I graduated, 2 people matched in MD Derm and my match year, 2 people matched in my class.

yes. AOA match is in February. ACGME is in March.

UNE's list hasn't been published by the school yet, and students have not compiled a complete list of residency appointments yet. However, we did have at least one match into ACGME rad onc, and a couple ACGME radiology. No one in my class wanted derm that I know of... Oh, and we also have a facial plastics/otolaryngology surgery.

Not really, the year before I graduated, 2 people matched in MD Derm and my match year, 2 people matched in my class.

Haha...ok, you got me. Truck loads of DOs match into allopathic derm every year...

Derm is arguably the hardest specialty to match into (for anyone, MD or DO), aside from maybe integrated Plastics.

If you want to derm, you pretty much have to be dead set from day 1 of med school - research (lots of it), grades, board scores, contacts, rotations...and then some.

It makes me really happy to read about you guys getting your #1 choices in the match, wherever and whatever they may be in!! (Especially people I've "talked to" on these forums from Year 1, or even Year 0, in some cases, LOL) Congratulations, really!
:claps:

It's very early for schools to post their lists yet.

anyone here from UMDNJ? i would love to see our match results!

NYCOMs list wont be out for a while. I'll post what I've seen current 4th year students post on facebook for the match thus far. This is not inclusive and does not represent the full class at all.

ALLOPATHIC

Anesthesiology- St. Luke's-Roosevelt x2
Anesthesiology- Clevland Clinic
Anesthesiology- University of Rochester/Strong Memorial
Anesthesiology- Albert Einstein/Montefiore
EM- Johns Hopkins University
EM- North Shore University Hospital- Manhasset
EM- Einstein Beth Israel
EM- Einstein-Jacobi
EM- NY Methodist
FM- Scott & White, Tx
FM- Boston University
FM- Albany Medical Center
IM- Yale
IM- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
IM- New York Hospital Queens / Cornell University Medical College Program x4
IM- Lenox Hill Hospital x2
IM- Queens Hospital-Mt Sinai
IM- Winthrop-University Hospital
IM- Maimonides
IM- Beth Israel Medical Center, NY
IM- Downstate University
IM- Temple University
IM- Albany Medical Center
IM- UMDNJ-NJMS
IM- Jersey City Medical Center x2
IM- Penn state
Neurology- Penn State
Neurology- North Shore-LIJ
Psychiatry- Louisiana State University
Ob/Gyn- Buffalo
Ob/Gyn- UMDNJ-NJMS
Pediatrics- UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson
Pediatrics- UMDNJ- Newark
Pediatrics- LIJ Schneider Children's Hospital
Pediatrics- Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Pediatrics- Stony Brook
Pediatrics- SUNY-Upstate
Pediatrics- NYMC-Westchester
Pediatrics- Maria Fareri Children's Hospital-Westchester x2
PM&R- Emory University
PM&R- NYU x3
PM&R- Stony Brook
PM&R- Einstein/Montefiore
PM&R- University of Miami
Psychiatry- LIJ x4
Psychiatry- Albany Medical Centey
Psychiatry- Mayo Clinic
Psychiatry- Institute of Living/Hartford Hospital
Radiology- Ohio State University
Radiology- Morristown Memorial Hospital
Surgery- Stony Brook

OSTEOPATHIC

EM- St. barnabas, Bronx, NY x4
EM- Good Sam, Long island, NY
EM- St. Joseph's, Patterson, NJ x2
EM- Kent Hospital, RI
EM/IM- St. barnabas, Bronx, NY
FM- Christiana
FM- Wilson, Binghamton, NY
FM- UMDNJ-SOM
FM- Christ hospital, Jersey city, NJ
FM- UMass
FM- Sisters Hospital Buffalo, NY
IM- St. Michael's Medical Center, Newark NJ
Neurosurgery- CCOM
Neurosurgery- Philadelphia (PCOM)
Ob/gyn- Good Sam
Orthopedics- Arrowhead, Riverside, CA
Orthopedics- Peninsula, NY x2
Orthopedics- UMDNJ-SOM
Pediatrics- Maimonides
Pediatrics- Newark Beth Israel/Saint Barnabas, NJ
Radiology- St. barnabas, Bronx, NY
Surgery- Mercy Medical Center Des Moines, IA
Surgery- Peninsula, NY
Surgery- Lutheran Medical Center, NY

MILITARY

IM- Tripler Army Medical Center - Honolulu, HI
IM- Naval Medical center San Diego, CA
FM- Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood TX
ob/gyn- National Naval Medical Center- Bethesda, MD.

As expected, very New York/North East heavy

Last edited:
Stupid question, what is the difference between a General Surgery residency and a Surgery Preliminary residency?

Surgery Preliminary residency is just one year long. After the year is up, you have to do your PGY2 at another place. It's not the full 5 year General Surgery residency.

Surgery Preliminary residency is just one year long. After the year is up, you have to do your PGY2 at another place. It's not the full 5 year General Surgery residency.

So what is the purpose? Is it prep for something else?

So what is the purpose? Is it prep for something else?

There are certain advanced residency positions that start at a PGY2 level. Anesthesiology for example has some. Rad-Onc also has a couple advanced positions. Usually, surgery preliminary internships suck. If you look at the scramble this year, there were like 400 or so open spots. From what I hear, you are cheap labor for programs if you are in a Prelim surgery spot. More people want to do a Transitional year (and its drastically more competitive to get into) if you need an internship before going to their PYG2 advanced spot. You could avoid all that if you get into a categorical spot where your internship and residency are at the same place. Many people also do prelim surgery if they fail to match and then need to apply again next year. Better to do something than nothing if you fail to match and some programs might give you credit for your prelim year if you apply for a PGY2 spot in the next match.

NYCOMs list wont be out for a while. I'll post what I've seen current 4th year students post on facebook for the match thus far. This is not inclusive and does not represent the full class at all.

ALLOPATHIC

Anesthesiology- St. Luke's-Roosevelt x2
Anesthesiology- Clevland Clinic
Anesthesiology- University of Rochester/Strong Memorial
Anesthesiology- Albert Einstein/Montefiore
EM- North Shore University Hospital- Manhasset
EM- Einstein Beth Israel
EM- Einstein-Jacobi
FM- Scott & White, Tx
FM- Boston University
FM- Albany Medical Center
IM- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
IM- New York Hospital Queens / Cornell University Medical College Program x4
IM- Lenox Hill Hospital
IM- Queens Hospital-Mt Sinai
IM- Winthrop-University Hospital
IM- Maimonides
IM- Temple University
IM- Albany Medical Center
IM- UMDNJ-NJMS
IM- Jersey City Medical Center x2
IM- Penn state
Neurology- Penn State
Neurology- North Shore-LIJ
Psychiatry- Louisiana State University
Ob/Gyn- Buffalo
Ob/Gyn- UMDNJ-NJMS
Pediatrics- UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson
Pediatrics- UMDNJ- Newark
Pediatrics- LIJ Schneider Children's Hospital
Pediatrics- Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Pediatrics- Stony Brook
Pediatrics- NYMC-Westchester
Pediatrics- Maria Fareri Children's Hospital-Westchester
PM&R- NYU x2
PM&R- Stony Brook
PM&R- Einstein/Montefiore
PM&R- University of Miami
Psychiatry- LIJ x4
Psychiatry- Albany Medical Centey
Psychiatry- Mayo Clinic
Psychiatry- Institute of Living/Hartford Hospital
Radiology- Ohio State University
Radiology- Morristown Memorial Hospital
Surgery- Stony Brook

OSTEOPATHIC

EM- St. barnabas, Bronx, NY x4
EM- Good Sam, Long island, NY
EM- St. Joseph's, Patterson, NJ x2
EM- Kent Hospital, RI
EM/IM- St. barnabas, Bronx, NY
FM- Christiana
FM- Wilson, Binghamton, NY
FM- UMDNJ-SOM
FM- Christ hospital, Jersey city, NJ
FM- UMass
FM- Sisters Hospital Buffalo, NY
IM- St. Michael's Medical Center, Newark NJ
Neurosurgery- CCOM
Neurosurgery- Philadelphia (PCOM)
Ob/gyn- Good Sam
Orthopedics- Arrowhead, Riverside, CA
Orthopedics- Peninsula, NY x2
Orthopedics- UMDNJ-SOM
Pediatrics- Maimonides
Pediatrics-Newark Beth Israel/Saint Barnabas, NJ
Surgery- Mercy Medical Center Des Moines, IA
Surgery- Peninsula, NY
Surgery- Lutheran Medical Center, NY

MILITARY

IM- Tripler Army Medical Center - Honolulu, HI
IM- Naval Medical center San Diego, CA
FM- Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood TX
ob/gyn- National Naval Medical Center- Bethesda, MD.

As expected, very New York/North East heavy

Woah you got all that from facebook?

UNE has about 2/3 of the class reporting. Here is what we have so far:

Anesthesia
Boston Medical Center

EM
Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood Tx
Albany Medical Center, NY
Albert Einstein, Philadephia PA
Morristown Memorial, NJ
MSU, Kalamazoo MI
Jacobi/Einstein, Bronx NY

EM/IM
Aria Health, Philadelpha PA

Family Med
Ft. Gordon, Augusta GA
Williamsport Hospital, PA
Middlesex Hospital,Middletown CT
MetroHealth Hospital/CWRU, Cleveland OH
CMMC, Lewiston ME
EMMC, Bangor ME
Franklin Square Hospital Center, Baltimore MD
St. Joseph Medical Center, Reading PA
Nellis AFB, Las Vegas NV
UPenn, Philadelphia PA
South Nassau Community Hospital, Oceanside NY
Maine Med, Portland ME
UNew Mexico, Albuquerque NM

Gen Surg
Berkshire Med Center, Pittsfield MA
Naval Med Center Portsmouth, VA
St.Joseph's, Paterson NJ
St. Raphael, New Haven CT

IM
St. Elizabeth's Med Cntr, Boston MA
Dartmouth-Hitchcock, Lebanon NH
MSU, Kalamazoo MI
St. Vincents, Worcester MA
Baystate/Tufts, Springfield MA
UVM/Fletcher Allen, Burlington VT
Cambridge Health Alliance, Cambridge MA
UMDNJ-SOM, Stratford NJ
Lahey Clinic, Burlington MA
VCU, Richmond VA
UConn, Farmington CT
Maine Med, Portland ME
USFlorida/Tampa General, FL

IM (Prelim)
St. Vincent's hospital, Worcester MA
Naval Med Center Portsmouth, VA
UMass Med, Worcester MA

Neurology
Wilford Hall, San Antonio TX

Neurosurgery
Loma Linda University, CA

OB/Gyn
Washington Hospital/Georgetown, Washington DC
Baystate Med, Springfield MA
Ingham Regional Med, Lansing MI
Abington Memorial Hospital, Philadelpha PA
Albany Medical Cntr, NY
UMDNJ/RWJ, Camden NJ

Ophthalmology
St. John's Episcopal, Queens NY

Ortho Surg
POH/Pontiac, MI

Otolaryngology & Facial Plastics Surgery
Philadelphia Consortium, PA

Pathology
Hartford Hospital, CT

Pediatrics
Baystate, Springfield MA
SUNY Upstate, Syracuse NY
Walter Reed Army Med, Washington DC
UConn, Hartford CT
NSLIJ/Schneider Children's, New Hyde Park NY
Albany Med Cntr, NY
Tufts Med Cntr, Boston MA
Geisinger Med Cntr, Danville PA
Palmetto Health Richland, Columbia SC

PM&R
VCU, Richmond VA
Nassau University Med, NY

Psychiatry
UBuffalo, NY
Tufts/Baystate, Springfield MA
Wake Forest U, Winston-Salem NC
Maine Med, Portland ME
Harvard Med, Brockton MA
Berkshire Med Cntr, Pittsfield MA

Rad Onc
Wayne State U, Detroit MI

Radiology
Maine Med, Portland ME
UMass Med, Worcester MA

I didn't put in how many matched into which program. Some have more than one spot. When it's more complete, I'll try and remember to update.

Shyrem, as someone who grew up in Maine it's interesting to see so many UNE people not stay in the state. As Maine's only med school I'm sure that concerns top officials...do they push people to stay at all? (I know there's the Maine track through Dartmouth/UVM/Tufts though, but that surely can't be meeting the state's needs).

UNE doesn't give us any direction one way or the other for anything (although many of the physicians say they hope we will stay in Maine). I'm sure they hope people will stay in New England, but with so few residency programs in Maine at all (and Maine Med isn't known to be particularly DO friendly - they just signed a partnership agreement with Tufts for a couple dozen students to do rotations in Maine, something about a rumored branch campus in Maine from Tufts?? I don't have details), they can't expect us to stay here.

Maine basically hopes to high heaven that doctors come into the state. But with such a high number of state residents on welfare and MaineCare health insurance (which pays less than Medicaid and Medicare), physicians can't afford to see many MaineCare patients because they lose money. And our esteemed University President tried to shut down University Health Care last year, which would have left several thousands of patients without a physician. She didn't seem to care much. A loud nasty public campaign (after a leak to the press about the closings) forced her to change her mind. She has little concern for the medical school at all, and as a private educational institution with no state support, there is no input from the state officials as to how it is run or where their students end up.

On the bright side, we have a new Dean of the COM. Perhaps things will be changing for the better and students will get more support to stay in Maine if they so wish.

Loma Linda neurosurgery? Thats allopathic, isn't it? (In reference to UNE's match list)

By the way ShyRem, congrats! I saw in another thread that you got your first choice.
All the EMs are ACGME. Neurosurg is ACGME. The rad onc and both rads are ACGME. Frankly, the majority of the programs up there are ACGME or dually accredited. Less than a dozen of the programs listed are AOA only.

And thanks for the congrats. I'm super excited. :D

PFFFFF WHAAA????

ACGME Neurosurgery at Loma Linda?????????????

These damn DOs are eating their vitamins.

And the guy that matched at Loma Linda is a super nice guy. Really smart, helpful, likes to teach, just a really nice guy. He so deserves it.

even after posting all of these match lists, how long do you think it will take until we see a "Can a DO become a ______" thread... I'm betting on two weeks or so

even after posting all of these match lists, how long do you think it will take until we see a "Can a DO become a ______" thread... I'm betting on two weeks or so

I'm stockpiling it all as ammo for the next time I have to kick in the salon doors like a wild west gunslinger in a pre-allo MD vs DO flame war.

Not yet but 5 rad matches....4/5 are ACGME....I know at least 3 ortho matches.....2 ophtho matches.....a bunch of anesthesia

NYU PM&R...

Pretty much dead on. We actually have at least 3 optho. At least 1 Neurosurgery from one of my friends. My class also has ~30 peds people...i'm one of them. Going to Eastern Virginia Medical School...BEACH TIME BABY!:love:

Last edited:
Pretty much dead on. We actually have at least 3 optho. At least 1 Neurosurgery from one of my friends. My class also has ~30 peds people...i'm one of them. Going to Eastern Virginia Medical School...BEACH TIME BABY!:love:

Found out last night at the post-match party there is a 6th rads.

I know we also have at least 1 Jeff anesthesia....I heard there may be a second one. Some people had IM interviews at some good places (Tufts Medical Center, Boston University) but chose somewhere else because of personal reasons.

Last edited:
ACGME rads is fairly attainable for solid DO applicants (at least in comparison to Derm, Ophtho, ENT, etc.). Definitely not saying it's easy, however.

I'm stockpiling it all as ammo for the next time I have to kick in the salon doors like a wild west gunslinger in a pre-allo MD vs DO flame war.

Make sure you get your hair did while you're there:D

Last edited:
Maine basically hopes to high heaven that doctors come into the state. But with such a high number of state residents on welfare and MaineCare health insurance (which pays less than Medicaid and Medicare), physicians can't afford to see many MaineCare patients because they lose money. And our esteemed University President tried to shut down University Health Care last year, which would have left several thousands of patients without a physician. She didn't seem to care much. A loud nasty public campaign (after a leak to the press about the closings) forced her to change her mind. She has little concern for the medical school at all, and as a private educational institution with no state support, there is no input from the state officials as to how it is run or where their students end up.

On the bright side, we have a new Dean of the COM. Perhaps things will be changing for the better and students will get more support to stay in Maine if they so wish.

I did not know all that, thanks for the info:thumbup: I plan on returning to Maine as a PA so it's good to know what is going on.