Difficult Life Decision.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimeaciax

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a dilemma in choosing what to do next year.

I am a senior and planning to graduate this semester. I have ~3.3GPA with 12X credits, and I want to improve it through a second science major/postbacc program. So far, these are my options:

1. Stay and get another science major at my current school. This is the cheapest path as my UG is a state school, and I can continue to receive my grants/scholarships.

2. SFSU Formal Post-bacc - Pretty popular/reputable program and relatively inexpensive. Though, the cost of living in San Fran is too expensive. If I go here, I'll need $25k loan (I can get this thru federal loan).

3. Wash U in St. Louis post-bacc - Very reputable school...so, I guess their teaching quality is pretty good as well. I heard the staff and school are super nice and supportive. Relatively new program with a lot of flexibility. Limitless opportunity for research. Tuition can be expensive. I'll be more in debt though.

4. Post-bacc Research Program Education - This kind of program doesn't boost your GPA in anyway, but it can be a resume booster. I can increase my credential for medical school thru this. I've applied to several top-notch research schools. I'll probably apply for an MD/PhD if I go with this route. I love research, by the way.

---------------------
So, those are the four very difficult choices I have to make. Finance is probably one of the top factors. I don't want to be in more debt (I'm in around 25k debt now), because I know that med school is going to be extremely expensive.

I look forward for your input. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you've already taken the pre-reqs, it might be better to take additional upper-level science classes at your UG.

So, I guess choice 1 is the most sound? And yeah...I have taken all my pre-reqs

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've already got a lot of science classes, I don't see the value in doing the SFSU postbac which would be retaking the basic stuff. Either way, a new class or a retake gets factored into the same average.

Some other posters mentioned DO will replace your poor previous grade. But it wouldn't matter if you've got a lot of science classes already.

I don't really need to retake any classes..especially my prereqs. I'm a bio major and I got mostly B's in bio classes so..I already have many sciences courses with mediocre sGPA.

1. Stay and get another science major at my current school. This is the cheapest path as my UG is a state school, and I can continue to receive my grants/scholarships.

Have you gone through the calculations of how many credit hours you would have to successfully earn an A in (sans a single B) to improve your GPA when the "~120 credit hrs" range is reached?

If so, swell. If not, be sure you do that before signing up for anything.

I.e. If you took another 30 hours and earned a GPA of 3.7 [A-] during that period, it would only bump your overall GPA to a 3.38 (from a 3.30).

Diminishing returns suck. :(

If you have a 28+ on the mcat apply broadly to DO. MD/PHD is more competitive then anything, post-bacc or not without a 3.7+/33+ there is very little chance of getting it. I don't see the problem really if finance is a problem I recommend stronger to apply to DO and get in so that you won't need to lose a year.

Stay at your current school. Be the van wilder guy and live the dream, brah.