The Official 8/5/2010 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnthroMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm just getting this club started. This will be my second attempt at the MCAT. Anybody else retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking it too, sigh. What is everyone doing. I am going thru the Kaplan review notes. Started today officially and I'll be taking a practice test tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am getting my letters of recommendation and PS in order and I should be sending out my app September 5th. I suppose you're applying this summer as well?

I'm retaking. Are you applying for the entering Fall 2011 class?

Last edited:
Hey everyone
I am also retaking the MCAT, and hopefully my last time. I took it last summer. I'm going through TPR route. I'm also applying this year.

I am also taking my MCAT on Aug 5th. I am following the SN2ed 3-Month Schedule. To those who is applying this summer and taking the MCAT this time (8/5); Do you guys think we are too late. I'm little bit worried.:confused:

Isn't this date ok for the MCAT as long as you send all the other materials in and immediately send the score to the schools you've applied to.

How's everyone doing with their review? I am going thru the Kaplan review material. I'm retaking and took a course last summer, which I personally didn't find that helpful content-wise. This summer I'm focusing mostly on PS. but yea, hopefully it works out. :scared:

It should be OK. Unfortunately, I don't want to send in my primary before getting the retake score back. My verbal killed me and I got a 24P. All things science considered, though, I did fairly well. I just have room for slight improvement in BS, but my main focus is obviously killing the verbal section on the retake.

Isn't this date ok for the MCAT as long as you send all the other materials in and immediately send the score to the schools you've applied to.

How's everyone doing with their review? I am going thru the Kaplan review material. I'm retaking and took a course last summer, which I personally didn't find that helpful content-wise. This summer I'm focusing mostly on PS. but yea, hopefully it works out. :scared:

50 short days left folks. Finding it hard to pull myself from the World Cup. Trying to go through TBR over the next 2 weeks.
How's the studying going?

Studying is going well. I am going to start taking some more AAMC MCATs and going through EKs 1001 series. Can't wait to kill the verbal section!

50 short days left folks. Finding it hard to pull myself from the World Cup. Trying to go through TBR over the next 2 weeks.
How's the studying going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd also retake. Took it on 4/10, but was not enthusiastic about my score. Who all has submitted their apps yet?

Thought I'd also retake. Took it on 4/10, but was not enthusiastic about my score. Who all has submitted their apps yet?

Submitted mine. Got my scores back from 5/22, plan to spend the next month doing pretty much nothing but Physical Sciences. I'll review my old Biology Flashcards, but after two 11's in BS, I'm not worried about it. Was thinking about taking it on 9/11, but I won't have time to focus on it for a freaking year after August 1st. Good luck to everyone.

Have you submitted yet? I got a 24P and I am obviously skeptical about submitting until I improve by at least 6-10 points.

First time taker D= joining the club.

I was wondering if you guys have a quick opinion on the physics section tests, 'cause I score low 80s in verbal/bio, 70s in orgo/chem, but physics i m stuck at mid to high 60s over 3 tests >_>

according to the FL1 scale that's an 11 apparently (67% on ps FL 1, and I know that's a ridiculously inflated curve), still, wondering how you guys are doing with these?

So, where is everyone in terms of studying? I'm in grad school which is keeping me pretty busy. As a result, I feel like I'm so behind. I will just have to get my **** together and study.

Just signed up for 8/5. Studying is going well so far. This will be a retake for me. I took it May 1 but didn't do as well as I wanted to. Hopefully things will be MUCH better this time.

first time taker :scared: been studying for awhile now, but definitely worried...not sure if i'll ever be ready. any advice?

i submitted my primaries last month, and already got back 6 secondaries. am i really pushing it taking this in august?

Taking the MCAT this date, too! First time for me. The nerves have definitely started to kick in.

Verbal is still shaky for me.. :eek:

Just took my first AAMC FL today! So far so good...just going to review everything and take another FL every three days. Should be an intense next few weeks.

Less than 3 weeks!!! I figured there would be more chatter on here by now. Hope studying is going well for everyone.

first time taker :scared: been studying for awhile now, but definitely worried...not sure if i'll ever be ready. any advice?

i submitted my primaries last month, and already got back 6 secondaries. am i really pushing it taking this in august?

You already submitted some of your apps without having taken the MCAT? How did you do that?

Whats up guys????

I am signed up August 5th now after a terrible sequence events on 7-16...that my computer screen messed up that costs me valuable time on a section on the MCAT...

But after viewing the exam...I feel we can do this....I just HATEd that I had void since my screen was messed up and lost alot of time and could not finish...

But Good Luck to everyone:thumbup:

You already submitted some of your apps without having taken the MCAT? How did you do that?

Yeah, you can just list the day you are taking your MCAT and when your scores get back they just get sent to your schools that you haved listed on your application. Also, most schools will forward you a secondary, you just have to see what schools screen and what schools do not screen (MSAR)

You can add me to the list of 8/5 takers. I'll be tackling the beast for a second time after not being too pleased with my April 10th score. Maybe they'll go easy on us and give us a simple test :xf:lol

Ugh! I was gonna take AAMC #9 today but the AAMC credit card thing is out and I can't buy it. I knew I shoulda bought it earlier sigh! So annoying. I was pumped for it too.

How's studying going for everyone else?? Yikes 2 weeks left.

Is anyone else planning on using the 10 minute tutorial time to write down a ton of PS formulas/trends on the scratch paper? lol I really don't want to waste time memorizing and just focus more on the qualitative stuff... thus, I have been working on synthesizing it all down to a sheet of paper and writing it down as quickly as possible. Maybe this could be a viable solution for all of you that suck at physics like me :thumbup:

That actually sounds like a great idea ifeelYouPain! Thanks!

Argh, so I think that the e-cat website for ordering practice tests is pretty much not gonna work today. Darn! I was thinking to take AAMC #9 tomorrow but instead do you guys think it'd be a good idea to take it on Monday (of next week) and then AAMC #10 next Thurs. I just didn't know how it would be trying to squeeze in two full-lengths next week. Plus I didn't take a practice test this week since I usually take them on Thurs around 1 PM to "simulate actual test" lol.

Is it ok since I guess this week was more heavy studying or should I try to get in at least one practice test this week just to keep with the flow of things? Plus on average how many practice tests has everyone taken / or plan to take?

Thanks.

Last edited:
why is our date the least popular :( lol

LOL...I noticed that too...hopefully the test goes well though...and I have no disruptive bumps this time while taking the exam!!!

Is anyone else planning on using the 10 minute tutorial time to write down a ton of PS formulas/trends on the scratch paper? lol I really don't want to waste time memorizing and just focus more on the qualitative stuff... thus, I have been working on synthesizing it all down to a sheet of paper and writing it down as quickly as possible. Maybe this could be a viable solution for all of you that suck at physics like me :thumbup:

Yeah I think it is a good idea....I plan on using all the tutorial/agreement time to write down formulas and simple conceptual ideas so it is easy for me see when I synthesize problems within the sections

2 weeks guys!!!

Hey everyone, I am taking the test on this date, and cracking down with every last second I have because I bombed my last practice:(

Quick question though, I JUST found out that my test center uses white boards with markers.... Won't this make it a lot more difficult? Being that you can't go back to your old work, and that once you write down your equations in the begining of the exam you will have little room for passage mapping and then work!?

Is there any way you can just get good old paper and pencil? even though the center told me no?

If not how can I find another center on this day that uses papper and pencil/pen?!

Thank you, just freaking out from this news

Good idea if they let you. At my testing center, writing before sections and in between sections was not allowed.

Good idea if they let you. At my testing center, writing before sections and in between sections was not allowed.

I've herd your allowed to do this everywhere? Kaplan has been teaching me to do it! But as I said in my previous comment I don't know what to do or how I would do this with a stupid whiteboard and marker... anyone have a clue how to get out of that?

EDIT: only in the tutorial though, mainly for jotting down the #'s of problems so you can keep track of your hard/time consuming problems and go back to them quickly at the end if you have time / And to write down the physics equations you memorized quickly or chemistry

Last edited:
I would say all of that is a waste of time and energy, only to possibly add angst before you actually begin taking the test. The MCAT is by no means a quantitative test. Memorize formulas for concepts mostly, not the intricate variables, etc. But alas, go with whatever floats your boat.

Hey guys,

We got one week to go lol, not that anybody has forgotten that. Good luck to everyone taking it for the first time like me and to the rest who are retaking. Lets kick some ***** next Thursday baby!

One more week!!! Honestly, I'm so drained from studying. I've kind of been slacking the past week or so. I'm just ready to get this thing over with!!! 30 here I come!

One more week!!! Honestly, I'm so drained from studying. I've kind of been slacking the past week or so. I'm just ready to get this thing over with!!! 30 here I come!

Yep....1 week!!!!! I am hoping for a great exam with familiar topics:):):)

I am getting a little tired too with the studying and we just got to pull it through these last few days!!

Yeah one more week! seems like to little time, kind of making me stressed!

It will be my first MCAT

I have bombed my practice FL's with Kaplan (low 20's or lower) two weeks ago, and got a 35 on AAMC #8 today, so I am kind of confused? lol

well post last minute advice for all of us!

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah one more week! seems like to little time, kind of making me stressed!

It will be my first MCAT

I have bombed my practice FL's with Kaplan (low 20's or lower) two weeks ago, and got a 35 on AAMC #8 today, so I am kind of confused? lol

well post last minute advice for all of us!

GOOD LUCK!

From what I've heard, this is the norm. Many people consider the Kaplan FL's to be harder. I've heard of several people who scored much higher on the AAMC FL's than the Kaplans. The AAMC's are the best reflection I believe.

From what I've heard, this is the norm. Many people consider the Kaplan FL's to be harder. I've heard of several people who scored much higher on the AAMC FL's than the Kaplans. The AAMC's are the best reflection I believe.

Well I hope the real score is them closer to my AAMC practice scores :D

what is everyone doing this weekend?

Well I hope the real score is them closer to my AAMC practice scores :D

what is everyone doing this weekend?

I'm working on AAMC 9 right now. About to go finish the VR and BS sections. Then I'll be polishing up on some topics. Probably take a few more FL's before Thursday.