You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
***The Official Univ, of Maryland Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***
Started by PediatricDentApplicant713
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The area around the school isn't that bad, you're surrounded by all the other graduate schools. Other than that, avoid the blue light districts and don't be stupid (ie walking alone at night down dark alleys) and you'll be fine.
On a separate topic, I skimmed through last years thread and found that Maryland didn't start sending supplementals/invites until early/mid September, in case anyone was curious.
On a separate topic, I skimmed through last years thread and found that Maryland didn't start sending supplementals/invites until early/mid September, in case anyone was curious.
If you watched The Wire, you'd know where not to live.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an email too. They're supposed to send us a link to the supplementary later on though right?
I didn't get a supplemental link even though I sent my app 1st batch. Does this mean I am rejected? Did you guys receive the supp?
I didn't get a supplemental link even though I sent my app 1st batch. Does this mean I am rejected? Did you guys receive the supp?
You're not rejected. Nobody has received the supplemental yet!
On a separate topic, I skimmed through last years thread and found that Maryland didn't start sending supplementals/invites until early/mid September, in case anyone was curious.
To peanutmonster, I'm gonna quote myself here, just two posts above yours.
Just wanted those of you applying to know...
The school had a large turnover of faculty over the past year. Clinical directors (and even the admissions director) have changed, and most of them adopt a different philosophy from their predecessors. I'm proud to say that I think the school is back on it's way to providing the top-notch clinical education it was once known for.
The school had a large turnover of faculty over the past year. Clinical directors (and even the admissions director) have changed, and most of them adopt a different philosophy from their predecessors. I'm proud to say that I think the school is back on it's way to providing the top-notch clinical education it was once known for.
Just wanted those of you applying to know...
The school had a large turnover of faculty over the past year. Clinical directors (and even the admissions director) have changed, and most of them adopt a different philosophy from their predecessors. I'm proud to say that I think the school is back on it's way to providing the top-notch clinical education it was once known for.
thanks for helping out. Can you give specifics? Thanks for your contributions
To others: Has the school said your application complete?
thanks for helping out. Can you give specifics? Thanks for your contributions
To others: Has the school said your application complete?
I would also like to know more about this CMistry if you don't mind.
But, to answer your question wtang567, I received the application complete email on 8/13.
Just wanted those of you applying to know...
The school had a large turnover of faculty over the past year. Clinical directors (and even the admissions director) have changed, and most of them adopt a different philosophy from their predecessors. I'm proud to say that I think the school is back on it's way to providing the top-notch clinical education it was once known for.
wow... thank you for sharing this info. could you provide us with some detail?

Just wanted those of you applying to know...
The school had a large turnover of faculty over the past year. Clinical directors (and even the admissions director) have changed, and most of them adopt a different philosophy from their predecessors. I'm proud to say that I think the school is back on it's way to providing the top-notch clinical education it was once known for.
That is good news, considering that MD is my top pick 🙂
The new admission person is awesome. The previous one was a catastrophe. Had no idea of science. New one is well published. Read her papers before the interview. She is also an awesome clinician that everybody adores.😍![]()
What admissions person? I called about 1 month ago and no one wanted to talk to me or guide me... Did someone new come into play?
You are right. People were treated like s..t. New person is very approachable.What admissions person? I called about 1 month ago and no one wanted to talk to me or guide me... Did someone new come into play?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are right. People were treated like s..t. New person is very approachable.
What's her name?
Dr. Porter. I heard she is also the best clinician at that school. Treats VIPs.What's her name?
thanks for helping out. Can you give specifics? Thanks for your contributions
I would also like to know more about this CMistry if you don't mind.
wow... thank you for sharing this info. could you provide us with some detail?![]()
The head of the undergraduate clinics recently changed to Dr. Davidson from my understanding, which is a great improvement as his main focus is clinical competence. He is a bit old-school but that is the mentality needed in the clinics now; "patient care" (in dentists' eyes, not patients) has well exceeded student education, and all of us who went there know that the clinical checks and balances system is overkill.
And yes, Dr. Porter is the new admissions director. I am a bit biased as she was my mentor and even wrote my LOR for residency. She is an excellent person, teacher, mentor, dentist, etc. She is clinically focused and has a great attitude that will take the school far. She was the dentist I always wanted to work with in clinic because she wanted to cut out the fluff and deliver the best patient care possible in a reasonable amount of time. The downside is that she will be busy with admissions and may now be spending less time in clinic.
CMistry is right. Dr. Davidson and Dr. Porter are awesome for students. They get much grieve from their superiors, Dr. Barnes and Dr. Reynold. Both are clueless regarding student needs. CMistry can be happy to have graduated. For us juniors it is a challenge. Unless Dr. Porter gets students to speak up, there is no hope.
Just received the Secondary Application email.
Just received the Secondary Application email.
Same it was sent to the review committee
Same it was sent to the review committee
What do you mean?
Finally! Got a supplemental app! Does that mean we are pretty much set for an interview?
From what I have heard in the past, yes. Exciting!
For the coursework, I listed multiple classes (ex. BISC207 and BISC208) and just Fall/Spring + the year.
And as for batch, my aadsas app was first batch, but my DAT scores/LORs didn't get in until the end of July.
From what I have heard in the past, yes. Exciting!
For the coursework, I listed multiple classes (ex. BISC207 and BISC208) and just Fall/Spring + the year.
And as for batch, my aadsas app was first batch, but my DAT scores/LORs didn't get in until the end of July.
What is the difference better supplemental app and this email I just got: "
Your application has been processed and your admissions file has been forwarded to the Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions for review.
Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we respectfully request that you do not contact our office to check on the status of your application at this time. Our office will contact you if additional information is required. "
What is the difference better supplemental app and this email I just got: "
Your application has been processed and your admissions file has been forwarded to the Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions for review.
Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we respectfully request that you do not contact our office to check on the status of your application at this time. Our office will contact you if additional information is required. "
The supplemental is for students whose apps have been reviewed by the committee. At this point, you are still one step behind some of us. But, you should hear back for an interview soon (hopefully)! 🙂
The supplemental is for students whose apps have been reviewed by the committee. At this point, you are still one step behind some of us. But, you should hear back for an interview soon (hopefully)! 🙂
I hope how soon was it after they reviewed your app ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The supplemental is for students whose apps have been reviewed by the committee. At this point, you are still one step behind some of us. But, you should hear back for an interview soon (hopefully)! 🙂
Do you think post bac and masters and Maryland resident would and could cancel out a bad GPa? Masters 3.8 and DAT 18 undergrad 2.7 🙁
I hope how soon was it after they reviewed your app ?
I received the "Application Processed and Under Review" email on August 13th. Received Secondary today, but I believe today was the first day they sent out the Secondary, so it could be quicker for you.
I received the "Application Processed and Under Review" email on August 13th. Received Secondary today, but I believe today was the first day they sent out the Secondary, so it could be quicker for you.
Damn almost 3 weeks.
Hey who else got the secondary today? Only two people posted that they received it. I'm just trying to figure out if they gave out a whole bunch or just a few. Also if you got one, please say stats and residency. Thanks 🙂
In-State Resident
3.94/3.90 oGPA/sGPA
21/21/25 aa/ts/pat
In-State Resident
3.94/3.90 oGPA/sGPA
21/21/25 aa/ts/pat
How you study for that DAT?!
In-State Resident
3.94/3.90 oGPA/sGPA
21/21/25 aa/ts/pat
And how long?
How you study for that DAT?!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1018243
That's my breakdown for how I studied, etc. I studied for about 7 weeks, last half of it with full time research.
Wonder how long it takes for invites to be sent after secondaries have been submitted.
received supplemental yesterday!
OOS gpa 3.5 22 AA 23 TS 21 PAT!
I think I might do the optional video!
OOS gpa 3.5 22 AA 23 TS 21 PAT!
I think I might do the optional video!
Are there any in-staters who applied early and didn't get the secondary today? My boat.
On the same boat. I was 2nd batch and got the app complete email on July 19th. Maryland is my top choice and im dying of anxiety right now

Gah I feel your pain. Maryland is my top choice too. I have a 3.6 and 22 aa and ts so I'm confused. I've gotten other interviews. Hopefully we get it this week though!
Same boat. In state, good stats, and first batch. So nervous.
Hey who else got the secondary today? Only two people posted that they received it. I'm just trying to figure out if they gave out a whole bunch or just a few. Also if you got one, please say stats and residency. Thanks 🙂
also got the secondary, second batch.
OOS
AA/TS/PAT: 24/25/22, 3.8gpa
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you dont mind me asking how long and what did you do to study for the DAT? thank you... if you could please make a mini schedule or a schedule i would appreciate it.I got the secondary application yesterday (9/6), as well. My stats are:
In-state
3.4/3.27 oGPA/sGPA
22/21/23 AA/TS/PAT
Also, people who have received the secondary, are you submitting the optional video?
if you dont mind me asking how long and what did you do to study for the DAT? thank you... if you could please make a mini schedule or a schedule i would appreciate it.
All the information you could ever need: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=992975
if you dont mind me asking how long and what did you do to study for the DAT? thank you... if you could please make a mini schedule or a schedule i would appreciate it.
I basically studied from when I got home from school (mid-May) until my DAT date on June 25th. I posted my breakdown here .
Also, I feel like my stats are a lot lower than other people who've gotten interviews (GPA-wise, at least). I dunno if that's because SDN members aren't representative of the general applicant pool, or because I just got lucky or something.
Got an Interview for Oct 1 but had to reschedule to Oct 2
OOS GPA 3.5 22AA 23TS 21 PAT
OOS GPA 3.5 22AA 23TS 21 PAT
Just received an interview as well for Wednesday, October 2nd.
In-State GPA 3.9/3.94 21AA/21TS/25PAT
In-State GPA 3.9/3.94 21AA/21TS/25PAT
Similar threads
- Replies
- 27
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 40
- Views
- 14K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 10K
- Replies
- 27
- Views
- 17K