My Chances with 3.85 s/cGPA and 29 MCAT???

Started by rmflswjd89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rmflswjd89

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! New to SDN though I've been reading a lot of posts/threads lately.

I just received my April MCAT score, and although I was not satisfied at all with my overall 29 at first, I was actually a bit relieved that it was at least a pretty well-balanced score (VR:9/PS:10/BS:10). I hit around 31-33 on my AAMC practice tests, but given that I had a terrible test day and that my practice VRs were around 7-8 (English is not my first language), I could not complain with my actual score. Without much thought, I decided not to re-take but apply as early as possible to stay competitive. Definitely don't want to risk bombing verbal on the re-take.

I am a psychology major at a top 15 university and have managed to keep a 3.85 GPA (both science and overall) throughout my undergrad, although there is a slight upward trend in the overall GPA. My school is pretty well known for its grade deflation. I will be graduating soon, and this Spring I was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa if that means anything. I am also expecting to get pretty decent letters, as I personally know all my recommenders except for one science professor who still "remembered" me. I am not a URM.

Here is a list of my ECs:
- 120+ hours of volunteering at a rural clinic in Vietnam during my first summer. Also shadowed the chief cardiologist the whole time I was there.
- 80+ hours of volunteering at a rural clinic in the Philippines during my second summer. Also shadowed a family doc the whole time.
- Independent research with an anthropology professor throughout 3&4th year (Biomedical anthropology related). Flied over to the Philippines to conduct research at a birthing clinic during my third summer. Manuscript is currently in revision process to submit to a well-respected journal. (My prof told me I'd be first author!). Hopefully it will get published by June/July.
- Peer facilitator for weekly workshops for inorganic chemistry students throughout sophomore year (8~10hours/week). Was asked to join the undergraduate teaching/learning committee, of which I'm an active member to this day.
- Teaching Assistant for foreign language courses for 2 years (Freshman/Sophomore).
- Tutor for the America Reads program during Freshman year
- 1 year of research assistant experience (clinical psychology related)
- 100+ hours of non-clinical community service with the homeless.
- 50+ hours of volunteering at orphanages while in the Philippines during my second summer.
- Also shadowed a couple electrocardiologists at the University of Rochester hospital
- Bible study leader with a campus ministry
- Valedictorian & student body president wayyy back in high school (if that still counts)

As you may have noticed, I am really interested in international missions. I grew up in three different countries (I am a U.S. citizen without a state residency) and my wish is to go back to a developing country and serve the needy there--of course when I'm done paying off my loans! So it doesn't really matter which medical school I go to. I just need to get into one. I did consider DO schools as well, but it has been brought to my attention that many foreign countries only let MDs practice medicine--only because they are not familiar with the DO concept. I'm just hoping my low MCAT scores and not having in-state schools won't hurt me too much in the application process. I would like to know what you guys thought of my chances. If possible, it'll be awesome if you can throw in some schools that I should look into. For now, I'm shooting for U.S. allopathic schools.

Much thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
If the other sections of your MCAT are >10, you have a great chance of getting into a US allopathic program as long as you write a well-written PS to show that you can eloquently write in English, and promote your overseas work in such a light that your language diversity seems like a strong positive.

If you apply to 20-25 of the usual low-tier school suspects (Virginia Commonwealth, NYMC, Drexel, etc), you should get in.
 
Thanks Wilson Fan!! When you say >10 in other sections, are my 10s for PS and BS good enough? I was getting 11-12 in my practice tests but I did find the actual test more difficult :/