GI Bill for medical school, HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlm414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband offered to give me his GI Bill once I get accepted to medical school to help with the expenses. My questions are:
Has anyone done this?
How does the GI Bill or transferring it to a spouse work?
Do medical schools accept it?
Can we only access it if he's out of the military?
Does anyone have any other helpful info?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

www.gibill.va.gov
This is their official website with contact info for official answers.

I assume you mean his post-9/11 and not Montgomery. Are you aware that he will incur a 4 yr ADSO? Not a big deal, if you two understand that. Also, it pays for 36 mos of school (assuming he has earned the 100% bill benefits) and only for in-state tuition (I can't verify that means in-state no matter what or just the cap of in-state undergraduate, so call them).

I would just contact a VA GI Bill rep, because they will have the real answers, and answer all of your specific questions for your situation.

EDIT: And yes, medical schools will accept money, regardless of the source; and yes, you can use it while he's still in and serving.

My husband offered to give me his GI Bill once I get accepted to medical school to help with the expenses. My questions are:
Has anyone done this?

I am using it this year, but it's my own. At state schools where you are a resident is where you will get the most benefit (full tuition covered+BAH monthly stipend). Any other accredited school will take it, but for a 50K tuition private school you will only get 18K (max amount payable for private schools) of it covered through the GI Bill.

My understanding is your husband would have to take on an additional service obligation to transfer it. If he's enlisted he should talk to his re-enlistment counselor and they can provide more details. He does not have to be out of the military for you to use it, although the monthly stipend may be affected by him still being in.

Check out the website for more details http://www.gibill.va.gov/

It's a great deal, I am looking forward to making it through medical school with no debt thanks to it and my nest egg from my service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback! :)

I remember reading a news article a few months ago saying that they're imposing extra service requirements for transferring the GI Bill to a spouse, maybe 4 years additional service years on top of the 3 years for 100% GI Bill eligibility.

I am using it this year, but it's my own. At state schools where you are a resident is where you will get the most benefit (full tuition covered+BAH monthly stipend). Any other accredited school will take it, but for a 50K tuition private school you will only get 18K (max amount payable for private schools) of it covered through the GI Bill.

My understanding is your husband would have to take on an additional service obligation to transfer it. If he's enlisted he should talk to his re-enlistment counselor and they can provide more details. He does not have to be out of the military for you to use it, although the monthly stipend may be affected by him still being in.

Check out the website for more details http://www.gibill.va.gov/

It's a great deal, I am looking forward to making it through medical school with no debt thanks to it and my nest egg from my service.

So does it pay for your whole school bill (tuition, general and college fees, parking, etc) or just the tuition?

So does it pay for your whole school bill (tuition, general and college fees, parking, etc) or just the tuition?

It pays the tuition and associated fees (i.e. the automatic ones that are added to the tuition). It doesn't directly pay parking (as that is not automatically charged at most schools) but you get a $1000 book stipend.

Has anyone done this?

TIA!

Spouses do not receive BAH, but I would double check this with the VA.

It pays the tuition and associated fees (i.e. the automatic ones that are added to the tuition). It doesn't directly pay parking (as that is not automatically charged at most schools) but you get a $1000 book stipend.

Really? I thought it would pay maybe $70k. I didn't think it would cover the whole thing. That's really nice!

Really? I thought it would pay maybe $70k. I didn't think it would cover the whole thing. That's really nice!

It has to be a public school and you have to have qualify for instate residency to get 100% of your tuition paid.

That's so refreshing to hear. How nice would it be to graduate from med school, debt free! ;)

Awesome, thank you!

It has to be a public school and you have to have qualify for instate residency to get 100% of your tuition paid.

I also read that if the school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, they contribute to the gap between max allowable payout from GI Bill and the actual cost (variable from school to school) for private schools.

That's so refreshing to hear. How nice would it be to graduate from med school, debt free! ;)

Yes, especially with how much it can cost sometimes... but this is only for three years. The fourth year is out of pocket/scholarship.

Awesome, thank you!

I also read that if the school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, they contribute to the gap between max allowable payout from GI Bill and the actual cost (variable from school to school) for private schools.

Yes, especially with how much it can cost sometimes... but this is only for three years. The fourth year is out of pocket/scholarship.

I think it's 36 months of benefits. I'm not sure how med school works, but if it's 4 years of 9 months of classes, then you might be able to graduate from a public med school without having to pay tuition and fees.

I think it's 36 months of benefits. I'm not sure how med school works, but if it's 4 years of 9 months of classes, then you might be able to graduate from a public med school without having to pay tuition and fees.

You start having to do 12 month years once clinical work starts (for the most part). The 9-10 months thing only worked for me that first year. Not sure how that will pan out once I get to MS4 and the clock runs out half way through.