X-Post: Returning to clinical work after long absence; how would you prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thisiswater

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone -- I'm returning to work as a clinician in a hospital setting that offers a bit of everything. I've been out of the field for 10 years.

My expertise is with battered women/sexual assault survivors, however I want to expand my practice: depression/anxiety; children; dual diagnosis, etc. What books would you be reading in the run up to returning to practice?

Therapy comes pretty naturally to me, but I'd love to be reading to prepare. What would you choose to read before re-entry?

Thanks!
 
Therapy comes pretty naturally to me,

What does this mean? How does this inform your approach to patients and therapeutic process?

I ask, because I could view (your perception of it, at least) this either as a positive, or as a serious, serious negative..as most psychologists/supervisors probably would.
 
Wow, 10 years out of the game seems like a lot. Is there an option to get some supervision early? It seems like you're stretching your credentials to say that you are going to 1) go back to your previous field after a 10 year absence, and 2) try to expand into new fields. I'm not sure if reading a book or two is going to cut it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, 10 years out of the game seems like a lot. Is there an option to get some supervision early? It seems like you're stretching your credentials to say that you are going to 1) go back to your previous field after a 10 year absence, and 2) try to expand into new fields. I'm not sure if reading a book or two is going to cut it.

Agreed. I think you will need individual supervision for at least a few months, if not 1 year. The field has changed somewhat in 10 years and there are many more options for evidence-based treatments.

What is your degree in? Psychologist? MA level Therapist?
 
All: I'm a master's level LMHC looking at PhD programs. I spent the past 10 years advocating for my special needs child, which was an education above and beyond graduate school in many ways. I've participated in a peer-supervision group for two years and we've often had guest supervisors attend our meetings for consults. Erg: still thinking about how to answer your question. It would probably have been better stated as "I'm comfortable doing therapy."
 
Were you trained or have experience in time-limited, EBTs? Thats all you will probably be able to use in this sort of environment. CBT-I, social skjills training, CPT/CBT-TF, CBT for depression, gate-control theory/CBT for pain,etc. Have any of the Otis manuals?
 
Handling your own problems is not an education. If that were the case, Wesley Snipes would be a CPA.

This is an incredibly immature viewpoint that is harmful to the field.
 
Handling your own problems is not an education. If that were the case, Wesley Snipes would be a CPA.

This is an incredibly immature viewpoint that is harmful to the field.

I'm in partial agreement here. While I do think that your life experience would be beneficial if you were going into an area working with similar special needs children, I hardly see how it could prepare you to work with things like dual diagnosis. These are areas which require specific training and backgrounds.
 
You may want to look into DBT training since your area is battered women/sexual assault survivors. CBT is the first-line treatment for anxiety and depression, but you really need supervision, coursework, and training to be competent. Coursework alone is not enough because you are missing the hands-on training and feedback, which is essential. Reading is certainly not going to cut it if you are interested in learning a new approach.