How long are EPPP scores good for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neuro_newbie

Clinical Neuropsychology Fellow
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

Hi all! I recently passed the EPPP and am wondering how long the scores will be good for. I am currently on my pre doctoral residency/internship year and took it in a state that allows you to take it at an MA level (but I passed at the doctoral level) I don’t intend to complete the licensing procedures for that state, just wanted to take the test and get it over with. I feel like I heard somewhere that some states want you to be licensed within X years of taking the exam or else you may have to retake, but also ASPPB states they keep a permanent record of your scores. I will be completing an 2 year post-doc following completion of my internship year as well. Anyone have any insight/gone through a similar process? Should I just get licensed at the MA level in the state that allowed me to take the exam? Would hate to have to take this exam again! Thank you!
 
As far as I recall, ASPBB keeps a permanent record of the score and you can also bank your credentials. The issue you might face is if you decide to get licensed in a state that requires EPPP Part 2. The X years you may be referring to is that most states require you to be licensed for 10 years to be able to use your active license in state A to be licensed in state B. Otherwise, you have to submit all the credentials, etc. to get licensed in state B.
 
I've never heard of a state requiring that you take/have taken the EPPP within a certain amount of time of your licensure application. Admittedly I haven't looked into licensing laws in all 50 states, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case anywhere.

I've seen/vaguely recall other timelines imposed (e.g., needing to complete predoctoral internship hours within a certain time frame, needing to complete postdoc hours within a certain number of years of graduating), but never anything about EPPP scores expiring.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know where you'd like to end up? Contact that state's board. If you don't know, then the question can't be answered.

You could ask CPQ/ASPPB, ABPP, or the National Register. The latter two offer "scholarships" for grad students (i.e., free credential banking).

I wouldn't get licensed at the MA level. It seems like this could create some confusion for licensing boards.
 
Yes, I was told that licensing boards don't like it when doctoral students get licensed at the master's level, en route to their doctorate. This was a while ago. I think the explanation had to do with safeguarding the public from MA level clinicians presenting themselves as licensed psychologists.
 
Good to know, thank you everyone! It seems like most people are also under the assumption that my EPPP scores would be good after my two year post-doc. Particularly I’m looking at licensure in WA state long-term, and/or the DMV area (mainly VA or MD) during post-doc.
 
Just got licensed in a new jurisdiction and either had to send them my EPPP scores or report them to get my Certificate of Professional Quality (CPQ, which i recommend you all get as an aid in portability). EPPP at least 20 years old and still accepted.