Looking for some advice and support - non trad, low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I've been reading a lot of posts here for some motivation, but this is my first time posting.

Just briefly, I was 16 when I graduated high school (2000), didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life, and I also launched a passive aggressive rebellion against my very proper, very indian parents, so my early college years have a lot of bad grades and repeats. (Even I was a little shocked when I saw it presented so starkly on the AACOMAS website!) I matured and managed to straighten myself out and complete a bachelors in Radiation Therapy (2009) thinking I'd work in the field for a few years and go back to school. Unfortunately, I graduated right in the middle of the big market slump, and couldn't find a job. So I kept my pharmacy tech job (10 years!) and recently (July 2012) started working as a clinical research coordinator (mostly oncology). Both of these jobs are part time, so I barely make anything and am constantly..unsatisfied.

I recently turned 30 this past summer and decided to bite the bullet and apply to med schools, which has been my dream for some time, but just seemed too unattainable.

I just have a few questions, and I hope some of you with more experience and insight will help me out.

1. What are my chances with DO schools with all the repeats? (about 6-7 years ago). Also, some of my non science pre-reqs are atleast 13 years old. Too old? My GPA is ns3.07, s3.15, c3.11. I have yet to take the MCAT (probably early 2014)

2. I've been thinking I'll most probably need a post bacc program to boost my GPA. My bachelor's was pretty physics heavy but I don't have enough organic chemistry (most require 8 credits). I already have a 4 credit Organic/Biochem class (finished with a 2.6). How do schools look at combo organic classes? And if I take another organic class in the winter, will this be enough to meet requirements?

3. I'd really like to apply in the 2014 cycle, hopefully start a post bacc program in fall 2014 – and med school in 2015. Does this seem doable?

4. EC/experience wise, I've been a pharm tech for years, my bachelor's involved lots of clinic hours, I currently work in clinical research, and I'm also really active in my local temple (planning and organizing health fairs, educational seminars, tutoring kids, going with non-english speaking members to appointments as translator, etc) – any other recommendations?

I hope this wasn't too long, but I'd appreciate any feedback and advice, esp. from some of you ADCOM members out there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everybody!

I’ve been reading a lot of posts here for some motivation, but this is my first time posting.

Just briefly, I was 16 when I graduated high school (2000), didn’t really know what I wanted to do with my life, and I also launched a passive aggressive rebellion against my very proper, very indian parents, so my early college years have a lot of bad grades and repeats. (Even I was a little shocked when I saw it presented so starkly on the AACOMAS website!) I matured and managed to straighten myself out and complete a bachelors in Radiation Therapy (2009) thinking I’d work in the field for a few years and go back to school. Unfortunately, I graduated right in the middle of the big market slump, and couldn’t find a job. So I kept my pharmacy tech job (10 years!) and recently (July 2012) started working as a clinical research coordinator (mostly oncology). Both of these jobs are part time, so I barely make anything and am constantly..unsatisfied.

I recently turned 30 this past summer and decided to bite the bullet and apply to med schools, which has been my dream for some time, but just seemed too unattainable.

I just have a few questions, and I hope some of you with more experience and insight will help me out.

1. What are my chances with DO schools with all the repeats? (about 6-7 years ago). Also, some of my non science pre-reqs are atleast 13 years old. Too old? My GPA is ns3.07, s3.15, c3.11. I have yet to take the MCAT (probably early 2014)

2. I’ve been thinking I’ll most probably need a post bacc program to boost my GPA. My bachelor’s was pretty physics heavy but I don’t have enough organic chemistry (most require 8 credits). I already have a 4 credit Organic/Biochem class (finished with a 2.6). How do schools look at combo organic classes? And if I take another organic class in the winter, will this be enough to meet requirements?

3. I’d really like to apply in the 2014 cycle, hopefully start a post bacc program in fall 2014 – and med school in 2015. Does this seem doable?

4. EC/experience wise, I’ve been a pharm tech for years, my bachelor's involved lots of clinic hours, I currently work in clinical research, and I’m also really active in my local temple (planning and organizing health fairs, educational seminars, tutoring kids, going with non-english speaking members to appointments as translator, etc) – any other recommendations?

I hope this wasn't too long, but I’d appreciate any feedback and advice, esp. from some of you ADCOM members out there.

Thanks!

1) GPA's are low but you may be able to get into the newer schools assuming you get a good MCAT score. However it seems like you haven't been in school for a long time and you're really underestimating how difficult it is to achieve the score that you'll need to offset the low GPA.
2) As long as you meet the minimum 8 credits, it will satisfy the requirement
3) Why not start this spring? Also if you start your postbacc while you're applying, how will the schools be able to see your new grades?
4) They seem ok. Its good run of the mill things (nothing wrong with that).

Also no one can comment on your chances since you don't have an MCAT. A 3.11/3.15/32 is much more different from a 3.11/3.15/25 applicant.

1) GPA's are low but you may be able to get into the newer schools assuming you get a good MCAT score. However it seems like you haven't been in school for a long time and you're really underestimating how difficult it is to achieve the score that you'll need to offset the low GPA.
2) As long as you meet the minimum 8 credits, it will satisfy the requirement
3) Why not start this spring? Also if you start your postbacc while you're applying, how will the schools be able to see your new grades?
4) They seem ok. Its good run of the mill things (nothing wrong with that).

Also no one can comment on your chances since you don't have an MCAT. A 3.11/3.15/32 is much more different from a 3.11/3.15/25 applicant.

Thanks for the reply! I was getting really antsy, looking at all the views without replies.

it's true, I haven't been in school in a little bit...I last time I was, I had some personal stuff going on and it affected my school work a little.

I'm planning on taking Organic I this spring and possibly another science class to help bring up my GPA. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure when I should take the MCAT's in that case. I've heard the Organic Section is probably the hardest.

I meant a post bacc program with some form of linkage, Esp. schools like LMU or LECOM where people start their post bacc program and are accepted into their med school the next year, without a glide year, and don't have a lighter load their first year if they did well in the post bacc year med classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT is a beast and it will seem daunting if you take it without having seen anything related to it in X number of years.Unless you've taken the pre-reqs relatively recently (1 - 2 years ago) then you probably already forgot most of what will be tested on the MCAT. Heck, I took it a year ago and already forgot most of the equations.

I would start studying now for a spring examination and once ~March-April is around, you may be able to take it and get a good enough score (29+) that you should be able to snag a spot for 2014. Though taking the MCAT without taking Orgo 2 will be difficult.

Also don't take the MCAT if you aren't confident. A very low score will haunt you. As for classes, I would suggest 12 credits. Can be anything really as long as its bio. I rather enjoyed physio and anatomy.

I've already had A&P, and another separate Pathophysiology class.. I was thinking Orgo 1 and histology.