How to come back from a Low GPA AFTER Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WDR97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, looking for advice. I recently decided to pursue medicine after obtaining my bachelors degree. I have completed all the prequisite courses but don’t have a great gpa. I didn’t know what I wanted to do in community college so I ended up taking a lot of fluff classes like media communications and poetry and stuff that I hated and did poorly in. When I finally found out I wanted to do something science/biology related my gpa slowly creeped up and improved each semester. However, my overall science GPA is only 3.37 and my cumulative is 3.35. My freshmen year gpa was 3.07, sophomore was 3.28, junior was 3.58, and senior was 3.69. I didn’t realize I wanted to pursue human medicine until after graduating. I haven’t taken the MCAT and am thinking I should probably study and take that first while everything is still semi-fresh in my mind. Then I was thinking about either pursuing post-bacc courses to slightly raise my GPA and show I can handle the material or pursue a masters SMP. I feel like if I kill the MCAT and take maybe 1 1/2-2 years of post bacc or complete a masters, while gaining relevant experiences I may have a chance. Any advice? Is this a good plan? What kind of postbacc classes, masters programs, experiences should I look into? I started working in a hospital recently and shadowing and I love interacting with patients and think I would feel fulfilled pursuing human medicine. I’m not sure if this matters but I am half-puerto rican and come from a family with a lot of issues that may have affected my grades. I also have an appointment for possible undiagnosed ADHD or undisclosed to me as my father said I had it since I was a child (I’m not sure if it was diagnosed) but am now just finding out about it. I move out soon to live in NYC with my girlfriend and am hoping I can just focus on MCAT/courses and getting away from family drama for awhile. Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.