Who else interviewed at University of Colorado? (and what did you think?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avendesora

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I liked this program, but I felt like the interview day was limited such that I didn't really get a good feel for the program. Little concerned about going to 5 hospitals and the fact that people were very up front in saying that it is pretty front-loaded and tough intern year.

OTOH, the training is great, fellowships are great, and most of all Denver is great.

I'm trying to reconcile all of this with Wake Forest, UNC Chapel Hill, and University of Michigan as the other top contenders.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there. Thought the program was o.k. but not great. Didn't think much of denver. However, I decided not to rank colorado after hearing some disturbing rumors on the interview trail. I heard the faculty is trying to leave in droves because they are not happy with the ouster of the former chairman of medicine and with the move to the new hospital (forget the name). Also, I think it was a big blow to lose Dr. Fitz to southwestern.

Overall, my impression was that this program is on the downturn but that's just my opinion.

I would say that Michigan is a much stronger program and probably UNC as well.

Yep -- they do have chairman problems. Having trouble getting someone from the outside into the position because they basically fired a well liked and respected longstanding chair. I'm not sure about "leaving in droves" but I know some are disgruntled.

I'm opposite in that i really like Denver, so I'm afraid that fact is getting in the way of objectively looking at the program.

It's so funny -- I feel like I'm going to obsess over my #1,2,3 and then match at like #6 or something.

Thanks for the response -- best of luck in your match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attend and interviewed at CU. It is going to be my top choice. Having gone to school here I have been able to get a pretty good look, albeit from a students perspective, at the residency program. I have also heard all about the whole chair issues. What I have not heard of is that faculty is leaving in droves. In fact, I would say that this is not true. Losing Dr. Fitz is a loss, but doesn't reflect poorly on the program itself. A new chair should be named by mid april, and the four candidates that are out there are all supposed to be strong academics with a vision as to where the dept should head. Also, if you talk to the residents, almost all would say that Dr. Schrier was a great chair, but that education and the residenci program were not top on his list.

Deciding what to put as number one has really been a tough choice. I was fortunate in my interiviews and had invites at all of the top programs in the NE. Still, I want to stay here. Why? The residents are great and for the most part happy. The attendings are excellent. The diversity of experience is great--rotating through the differrent hosptials takes some getting used to, but in the end is useful. Any fellowship opportunity you want will be available and the dept will do all they can to help you out. Sure, coming out of MGH would make you a more competitive applicant, but I really don't think that it makes you a better doctor. Also, Denver is a great city for me. Very livable, many activities, strong sports city, etc..

Feel free to pm me with more questions.

R Jeffrey --

I did PM you.
Thanks!!