Best Methods for Moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdj37

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am moving across the country to go to dental school and am trying to figure out the best and least expensive way to do it. I am married and have a little girl.

I have thought of renting a U-Haul or equivalent but have heard there are much cheaper ways to do it. Any tips? :)

Members don't see this ad.

One way is to sell, liquidate everything you can that is heavy, cumbersome, and hard to move. Then, when you get to your destination, either rent a furnished apartment, or buy new/used furniture.

You have to think, is your stuff worth moving across country? Gas is high right now, and the price of the UHAUL will add up. Put it to pencil and paper. See if it is even worth it to move your stuff.

If you own a pickup and trailer, just load it down with the things you need/don't want to get rid and sell the rest!! Or sell iot all!! (not likely)

Again, this is just a suggestion. Some people opt to do this, but it depends on whether you have expensive stuff and could never get what you paid for it. It all depends I suppose.

There are companies where you can load your stuff into the truck yourself (they come and park a huge truck in your parking lot for a day or two. Then they fill it up with other peoples stuff too and drive it to where ever you need. Then they leave it for a couple of days for you to unload. It takes a few weeks sometimes (2-3 weeks) because it stops by at other places too for people to load and unload on the way. This might be cheaper than renting and driving your own Uhaul. Just depends on how much stuff you have I think. Where are you moving to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going from Utah to West Virginia. I have heard about those trucks you load yourself. Do you have contact info or business names?

The moving company you are referring to is U-Pack it, I think.

I have been searching for movers for a cross-country move. As far as I can tell, it is much cheeper than moving yourself. My quotes have been running 1000-2500 bucks. The problem with a U-haul is not so much the cost of the rental, but the price of gas. I figured it would cost me over 500 bucks alone in fuel. This plus the cost of the rental, hotels, food and everything made the movers (plus airline ticket) the least expensive option. And it is really nice to have someone do all the work for you (some will even pack you up).

The U-pack isn't even that much cheeper than the all-inclusive movers too.

Hope that helps.

I'm doing Broadway Express, $1250 for 10 linear feet from UT to NC. This is the best way I have found. We'll see this Thursday!

PBR95 said:
The moving company you are referring to is U-Pack it, I think.

I have been searching for movers for a cross-country move. As far as I can tell, it is much cheeper than moving yourself. My quotes have been running 1000-2500 bucks. The problem with a U-haul is not so much the cost of the rental, but the price of gas. I figured it would cost me over 500 bucks alone in fuel. This plus the cost of the rental, hotels, food and everything made the movers (plus airline ticket) the least expensive option. And it is really nice to have someone do all the work for you (some will even pack you up).

The U-pack isn't even that much cheeper than the all-inclusive movers too.

Hope that helps.

It's true. The cost difference between U-pack and a full service mover is not very much.

jdj37 said:
I am going from Utah to West Virginia. I have heard about those trucks you load yourself. Do you have contact info or business names?

i am in the process of moving from Los Angeles to Indianapolis. we paid $1000 to a company called USAVanline.com. these people come and pick your stuff up and then drop it off there.

i looked into UHAUL and it would have cost me $2000.

the good thing about them is that they are cheap and they do the labor.

the bad thing is that they told me our stuff will be there on Apr 5 and now they say it'll be there on Apr 22.

good luck to you on your trip.

now off the topic, i have a cousin who is a travel agent. he hooked me up with a free roundtrip ticket to IN for next weekend. damn, i can't wait.

Hey Perfect,

Why are you in such a rush to get out there? Doesn't IUSD start in late Aug? I am not intenting to move untill early Aug. Is this a bad idea, should I get settled for some time before school starts?

Thaxil said:
Hey Perfect,

Why are you in such a rush to get out there? Doesn't IUSD start in late Aug? I am not intenting to move untill early Aug. Is this a bad idea, should I get settled for some time before school starts?

Personally, I want to move earlier than Aug. (which is when my school starts) but my lease isnt up on my apartment until the end of July. Anyway, thought I'd share that, even though it probably has no relevance :D

I think its good to get there, get settled in, get the lay of the land, etc.....

if you don't have furniture to move (just boxes of stuff), you can also use the train (amtrak). i shipped nearly 500 pounds of stuff out to philadelphia from seattle at about 50 cents a pound and found this to be the most affordable option for me.

Thaxil said:
Hey Perfect,

why rush?
well, afew reasons. let see, 1st off school starts on July 6 (summer school)for IUSD. we start way earlier than others for some reason. another reason is that my fiance and daughter are already there so she can find a job and school for my 4 yr old. another reason is that i am staying at my parents right now and seriously going crazy without my daughter. another reason is that i ABSOLUTELY HATE LA. another reason is i lived in a real crappy 1 bdrm apartment here and i'll be in a 3 bdrm house over there.

so basically, many reasons but the main reason why i sent my family there early is to get acquainted with the city and most importantly for her to find a job.

critterbug said:
Personally, I want to move earlier than Aug. (which is when my school starts) but my lease isnt up on my apartment until the end of July. Anyway, thought I'd share that, even though it probably has no relevance :D

I think its good to get there, get settled in, get the lay of the land, etc.....

Agreed. Especially if your moving a great distance. It amazes me how much different life is in the east compared to the west.

Dentaldream said:
Agreed. Especially if your moving a great distance. It amazes me how much different life is in the east compared to the west.

the difference between CA and IN is day and night thats all. and i'd love it :D

critterbug said:
One way is to sell, liquidate everything you can that is heavy, cumbersome, and hard to move. Then, when you get to your destination, either rent a furnished apartment, or buy new/used furniture.

You have to think, is your stuff worth moving across country? Gas is high right now, and the price of the UHAUL will add up. Put it to pencil and paper. See if it is even worth it to move your stuff.

If you own a pickup and trailer, just load it down with the things you need/don't want to get rid and sell the rest!! Or sell iot all!! (not likely)

Again, this is just a suggestion. Some people opt to do this, but it depends on whether you have expensive stuff and could never get what you paid for it. It all depends I suppose.

I agree with you 100% man