Options moving forward (Low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg2029

Reaction score
I’ll cut right to the chase…

This past semester was a rough one for me. I had a lot going on family wise and it took a toll on my grades

My gpa is currently a 2.2. I’m a second semester junior and I know applying this upcoming cycle is out of the question. I know I’d be able to pull my gpa up by the time I graduate, but I’d like to hear some advice on what I should do.

Currently I’m thinking about taking a post-bacc upon graduation and then applying. I’ve had one person tell me that I should go for another bachelor’s degree altogether.

What do you guys think? And be brutally honest, I need it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you will need to put your head down and grind 4.0 semesters the rest of college. That is the only way that you will get in. If you get 4.0 for the rest of college, your GPA still will not be above a 3.0, which is the minimum for some dental schools. I would not go for another bachelor's degree. I would recommend doing a Master's Program over a post-bacc. But more importantly, make sure the program you choose is connected to a dental school and has a high success rate of getting accepted. There are some master/post-bacc programs that guarantee acceptance to dental school or have +90% acceptance rate, as well through a bridge program, so maybe look at those.

I would also consider taking some summer classes to try and help bump up that GPA, but you really need 4.0s for the rest of college. I do think you can turn it around, only if you work hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t go for another bachelors!!! I would recommend looking into Masters programs and scoring well on the DAT. For the rest of undergrad you should try to find your study method and see what works and what doesn’t. Then apply that in a graduate program.

Reactions: 2 users