AMCAS GPA calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhrugger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has applied,

first, congrats to all of you on your successes. i have not yet applied but have heard that AMCAS has its own grading, that the GPA calculated on your college transcript is not necessarily the same as AMCAS computes.

If AMCAS does have an internal GPA, what is it? does it factor in where you go to school?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jhrugger said:
To anyone who has applied,

first, congrats to all of you on your successes. i have not yet applied but have heard that AMCAS has its own grading, that the GPA calculated on your college transcript is not necessarily the same as AMCAS computes.

If AMCAS does have an internal GPA, what is it? does it factor in where you go to school?

thanks

Reading the AAMC site will answer this and many other questions.

For GPA, try reading their conversion chart at:
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/conversionguide.pdf

Ken

AMCAS does have their own GPA. It includes all classes that you've taken at any institution. It is often different than the GPA from your university. It standardizes all grading schemes. (e.g. some schools have no "plus" grades, others have A A/B and B, some are on the "regular" A A- B+ B B- scale.)

Your GPA is also broken down into a BCPM (science) GPA & an "all other" GPA.

AMCAS makes no consideration for where you went to school. (So if you're hoping to impress anyone with your degree from Hopkins, it will be the ADCOMs themselves... not AMCAS :D )

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your help. i'll check out that link.

There will not be a GPA calculated by AMCAS on the 2005 application. This is a change from last year. The student will be responsible for calculating their own instead of an automatic calculation based upon information entered from your transcripts in the application.

ok, so if you got a second undergraduate degree years after your first one, where does that fall? Under undergrad or under post-bac?

gravy4thebrain said:
There will not be a GPA calculated by AMCAS on the 2005 application. This is a change from last year. The student will be responsible for calculating their own instead of an automatic calculation based upon information entered from your transcripts in the application.

Why would they do that?

I know I can probably search for this and find it, but im too lazy today.

How does AMCAS deal with grades from AP credit? I have some AP credit that shows up on my transcript as A's, and some that are CR's. I read in that guide about the "G" you have to put for AP. What do I do??

yah anyone know why AMCAS isn't calculating GPA on the application this year? Whats the point of this new change

apar01 said:
I know I can probably search for this and find it, but im too lazy today.

How does AMCAS deal with grades from AP credit? I have some AP credit that shows up on my transcript as A's, and some that are CR's. I read in that guide about the "G" you have to put for AP. What do I do??