Pre Pharmacy Moms or Dads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilescali

Almost there...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

I am posting this thread because I wanted to see how many of you out there are parents. I have a 2 year old son and am facing a daunting challenge balancing my family life with school. :scared: School is very important to me and was hoping to hear (or see :laugh: ) some personal experiences from you all that are in the same boat.

I know that pre pharmacy will be hard and Pharmacy School will be even harder so any coping advice would be greatly appreciated.

Smiles :)

Members don't see this ad.

First question, is the other parent in the picture? I ask, because I could not do this without at least some help from my husband. We have 4 children. 3 girls (14, 13, 9) and one boy (4). I also work full time while finishing my prereqs. I won't be working during pharmacy school more than maybe 10 hours.

I am not a nightowl, I can't really focus much after 10 or 11 pm, so I have to do my work during the evening. I study while my husband or the older kids, keep the younger ones amused. To make sure I don't ignore my little one, I give him "homework" to do. Usually in the form of coloring books or playdoh. Yes, I still have to deal with "mommy look at this", but it isn't fair to him not to have any of my time.

If you don't have another parent available, then you will need to hire a babysitter. Even a 10 or 11 year old can play with your son in one room while you study in another.

Good luck, if you want it bad enough, you can make it happen without your child suffering.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am the mother of two young girls (3 and 6). I have finally finished all my pre-reqs and will be attending Pharmacy school this Fall at NSU.
I can say from experience you can do it! I won't tell you it is easy, because at times, I want to pull out all of my hair (LOL) but it can be done.
First of all you have to have help from someone, in my case my wonderful husband is there for me.
Everyone's situation is different, but it somehow can work out. For example with me, I took classes at night and would study all night. I know a single mother of three who know is in her 3rd year of Pharmacy school, her mom helps her out with the kids.
I at first felt guilty about returning to school especially since my kiddos are so young. (it also didn't help that people told me I was crazy because I do have a degree in Education and had a job as a teacher.) But I know in the future we will all benefit from this experience. I know my girls will see how much I value an education, and already my 6 year old is talking about when she goes to college.
You just have to take each semester one at a time!!!! Believe me time will fly by and before you know it you are finished with the pre-req's.

Thanks Jemc2000! Wow 4 children! You deserve a medal!

Yes my husband is in the picture, but he is a pilot and is gone for 3-4 days a week. I have not used a babysitter at all so far...because I have been able to go to school while my husband is in town. However, this is not an ideal schedule for a marriage. We never see each other, so now we have been seriously considering a nanny or day care. I have deep hang ups about this due to his age. I would like to make sure he is able to tell me if he is being "mistreated".
He is an only child and in ways I guess it would be a tad bit easier if I had an older child for him to play with.
Do you have certain days in which the books are off limits? Whenever my son sees my textbooks come out, he automatically wants to climb in my lab and play with them.:)
Maybe day care would be good for him so he can at least play with other kids. At any rate I will figure out something because both are very important to me. Red Bull here I come!:)

Smiles:)

Smilescali, you have a PM.

Hi! It's nice to see that there are others in the same boat! I have a son who's 10, a daughter who is 5, and a wonderful husband who is SO supportive and helpful. I decided (about this time last year) to go back to school after being out for 20 years...so it has been a big life adjustment for all. I also have a job at a hospital pharmacy where I'm working a new schedule, 7 days and then get 7 off. This schedule has been good for the summer...we'll see how it works when I have classes!
Last semester I found myself getting alot of my studying done into the wee hours....but it seems to be working! I have 4 prereqs left... Organic 1 & 2 w/ labs and Physics 1 & 2 w/ labs. I'm starting the application process for the University of Florida(Jacksonville Campus). This will be the only place I'll apply to because we don't want to move. My family also lives here and I'll need all the support I can get!!!

Just wanted to say I am in the same boat. I have a 5 1/2 month old and it was really tough handling just my O Chem class in the 3 months. But, I got through it. I completely agree that its very helpful to have a supportive husband. I don't think I could have done it without my family.

My hero and our forum friend Roxicet is a single mom about to undertake a major move from El Paso, TX to Glendale, AZ to start pharm school at Midwestern this fall. I know she's probably INCREDIBLY busy right now (too busy to check the forum), but if there is any proof that there is no hurdle high enough for a determined person to leap over, it is her. :)

This is for all the moms here: (Warning---grab a tissue before you read this :D )

This is for the mothers who have sat up all night
with sick toddlers in their arms, wiping up barf
laced with Oscar Mayer weiners and cherry
Kool-Aid saying, "It's okay honey, Mommy's here."

Who have sat in rocking chairs for hours on end
soothing crying babies who can't be comforted.

This is for all the mothers who show up at work
with spit-up in their hair and milk stains on their
blouses and diapers in their purse.

For all the mothers who run carpools and make
cookies and sew Halloween costumes. And all the
mothers who DON'T.

This is for the mothers who gave birt!h to babies
they'll never see. And the mothers who took those
babies and gave them homes.

This is for the mothers whose priceless art
collections are hanging on their refrigerator
doors.

And for all the mothers who froze their buns on
metal bleachers at football or soccer games
instead of watching from the warmth of their
cars.

And that when their kids asked, "Did you see me,
Mom?" they could say, "Of course, I wouldn't
have missed it for the world," and mean it.

This is for all the mothers who yell at their kids in
the grocery store and swat them in despair when
they stomp their feet and scream for ice cream
before dinner. And for all the mothers who
count to ten instead, but realize how child abuse happens.

This is for all the mothers who sat down with
their children and explained all about making
babies. And for all the (grand)mothers who
wanted to, but just couldn't find the words.

This is for all the mothers who go hungry, so their
children can eat.

For all the mothers who read "Goodnight, Moon"
twice a night for a year. And then read it again.
"Just one more time."

This is for all the mothers who taught their
children to tie their shoelaces before they started
school. And for all the mothers who opted for
Velcro instead.

This is for all the mothers who teach their sons to
cook and their daughters to sink a jump shot.

This is for every mother whose head turns
automatically when a little voice calls "Mom?" in
a crowd, even though they know their own
offspring are at home -- or even away at college.

This is for all the mothers who sent their kids to
school with stomach aches, assuring them they'd
be just FINE once they got there, only to get calls
from the school nurse an hour later asking them
to please pick them up. Right away.

This is for mothers whose children have gone
astray, who can't find the words to reach them.

For all the mothers who bite their lips until they
bleed when their 14 year olds dye their hair
green.

For all the mothers of the victims of recent school
shootings, and the mothers of those who did the
shooting.

For the mothers of the survivors, and the mothers
who sat in front of their TVs in horror, hugging
their child who just came home from school,
safely.

This is for all the mothers who taught their
children to be peaceful, and now pray they come
home safely from a war.

What makes a good Mother anyway? Is it
patience? Compassion? Broad hips?

The ability to nurse a baby, cook dinner, and sew
a button on a shirt, all at the same time?

Or is it in her heart?

Is it the ache you feel when you watch your son or
daughter disappear down the street, walking to
school alone for the very first time?
The jolt that takes you from sleep to dread, from
bed to crib at 2 A.M. to put your hand on the
back of a sleeping baby?

The panic, years later, that comes again at 2 A.M.
when you just want to hear their key in the door
and know they are safe again in your home?

Or the need to flee from wherever you are and
hug your child when you hear news of a fire, a car
accident, a child dying?

The emotions of motherhood are universal and so
our thoughts are for young mothers stumbling
through diaper changes and sleep deprivation...
And mature mothers learning to let go.

For working mothers and stay-at-home mothers.

Single mothers and married mothers.

Mothers with money, mothers without.

This is for you all. For all of us...

Hang in there. In the end we can only do the best
we can. Tell them every day that we love them.
And pray.

Please pass along to all the Moms in your life.
"Home is what catches you when
you fall - and we all fall."

Please pass this to a wonderful mother you know.

(I just did!)

I am fixing to be in the same boat. I just found out I am going to be a dad. My wife and I are very excited. I am sure it is going to be tougher, but I have a great wife and will do my best to give my baby the best future. I also have so much respect for you ladies that do it by yourself.

I have a 7-year-old son (who has the mental disability of Autism), and a 5-year-old daughter. Thanks LV, but I really don't think I'm a hero... :oops: I'm just doing what I need to do to survive.

I've been out of school for 3 years, so it's going to be a huge adjustment for me this Fall. I'm going to have to study after my kids go to bed at 9. And I have to find a reliable babysitter for days when my kids are sick and can't go to school. I don't have a supportive husband to help me; I'm really happy for all of you that do. My ex-husband was like a third child to me; he never worked, had drug/alcohol problems, and didn't really help with the kids while I was working full time. I still had to do everything, so now that I'm single, life is actually easier for me (definitely more peaceful).

I've also dealt with the guilt issues, and my family thinks I'm crazy too since I already have a BS. My grandma insists that I go work at the CDC in Atlanta where she lives (like it's so easy to get a job there. :laugh: ) And I've thought to myself "do I really need to go to pharm school?"...and the answer, I decided, is YES. These three years will fly by very fast. If I don't do this, I'll probably have to work two jobs to be able to support my kids, and that will really be neglecting them. I don't plan on ever getting remarried. I'm perfectly happy with my little family. The one thing I've learned being raised by a single mom, and now being a single mom myself, is that you can't depend on anyone but yourself.

Congratulations Cdiddy!! Getting the great news is such an exciting moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roxicet,

That poem about moms is absolutely wonderful. I copied it right away and gave it to my mom and my sister (who is also a single mom). Everything stated in it was so true and timeless.

All of the posts on this thread have been so inspiring to me. I have renewed hope for my dream of becoming a pharmacist. Thank you all!:)

Wow,
No poem for the single Dad's ?!?! I am a single parent or a 8 year old girl. While being a parent is time consuming, it is not impossible to go to school at the same time. When my daughter was 2 I started working on my Masters degree at night. Three years later I finished it, a few years later I decided to give up IT and look into Pharmacy. Going to school and raising a kid is do-able, but you will sacrifice a lot of your free and social time. Ever since my daughter was born, my social life has dropped..so school didnt really affect me that much. I have completed most of my pre-req and will be applying for Pharmacy school in 2005. Plan on juggling a lot and try to take advantage of any online course.I have taken most of my pre-req online..except of course my labs. My on campus classes were planned around my daughters Girls Scout meetings, so be prepared to shape your schedule around family time.
I am a single dad..I work 2 jobs, completed a Masters degree and I am working on my PharmD. I am no Super,an, so I know that if I can handle ..I am sure that everyone else can also.

Kudo's to BlackBeansRice!

That is awesome you can "juggle well". I know raising a child and going to school is hard , but possible. If you all don't mind me asking... who watches the younger children while you are working and going to school? I know some of you have stated that your husbands are very helpful, but do they work in the home? Are there nannies or daycare involved or are you all fortunate enough to have family members who are willing to watch your kids close by? :) I have been very lucky to be a stay at home mom pretty much since my son was born, but now that he is 2 and my school has picked up a bit, I no longer have the luxury having myself or my husband there during the day.. everyday. I would feel guilty leaving him with a nanny or daycare, as I don't have any "willing" family members to watch him. I guess that if the only option though for me. Just curious what everyone else is doing.
Thanks!:)

On the occassions that I have to go to campus for classes I have my mom or dad watch her. I dont really talk to her mom and she is not really that involved, so I make the arrangements for her care

BlackBeansRice said:
Wow,
No poem for the single Dad's ?!?! I am a single parent or a 8 year old girl.

sorry BlackBeansRice, you're awesome! :thumbup:
Here ya go:

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I wish all Dads
Could be just like you! :D

I had to put my daughter into a full time day care for the first time last semester :( because I took a job in a hospital pharmacy. My son is in school. I was able to get my classes at night or online but when I added the work I couldn't juggle anymore!!! I also have family in town and friends that are always willing to help out. It helps to have a supportive network! I'm working at night now(week on,week off) so I can be with the kids during the summer. I'm not taking any classes, just studying for the pharm tech certification exam.

I am a dad of one. This one is equivalent of 5 indeed. On top of that, she sleeps pretty late which makes it difficult for me and for my wife to study at all.

I am hoping to apply to Med school in 2006 and my wife is planning to apply to pharmacy schools next year. I don't know how we will manage. I am not trying to stress myself out right now. But seems like, I might have to wait for few extra years before I can apply to med schools.

My daughter is my first priority for sure though. But I definitely don't want to make her feel ignored or such.

Just my 2 cents I guess.

shahab

I would actually recommend starting school while the kids are younger. Although you end up with a lack of sleep for awhile, most young kids tend to sleep a larger portion of the day for the first few years. In addition, while you are around enough to make a connection it is when they get older that you really miss out when you don't have the time. I actually started back the day after we got back from the hospital when my daughter was born. It motivated me to go back to school like nothing else ever did, and while it was a little difficult it was not really bad at all. She is just turned 2 and I just got accepted to pharmacy school starting in the fall. I spend all my free time with her and she will be going to day care at the school so I can see her all that I want to and can go to school and study as well. It all depends on the person I suppose and what kind of options are available, but I highly recommend doing it earlier rather than later!

I am mother of two, ages two and four. I have them in day care during the day while I'm at school. The hours they are awake in the morning before school and from the time I pick them up to bed time (8:00) are off limits for study, unless I have a test the next day. I study all night long sometimes. My husband is very supportive. It would be more difficult to go to pharmacy school without his picking up the slack.

I am dealing with some friends who don't understand my desire to further my education too. I have a degree in education and taught middle school for a few years before I had my first child. I was home for 3 years and I decided to make a change. I have friends who just don't understand why I would want to go back to school when I had opportunities as a teacher. I, for the record do not feel guilty (any more) because this endeavor is good for my family, not just for me. I also think it is good for your children to witness your hard work and dedication.

School is doable with children. It takes organization, and will power. No more watching CSI on Thurdsay nights, and no more going to bed when you want to. It is worth it though! Good luck to all of you! :luck:

I was flipping back through old threads, and thought this one deserved a bump. Anyone else willing to share?

well im a single father who is very proud of my son
he does not live with me but i take care of him like
he does. i see him almost everyday and mainly the reason
why i work full-time and go to school full-time is because of him
not for the benefit of myself. regardless of my busy life i still find time
to see him and spoil him oh yeah teach him too.
but the moral of the education story is....
time management is the key to success. mho.

This fall (Sept. 1st) I will become a father to a beautiful baby girl (from what I can tell from the sonograms :love: ). I will be starting on my sophomore year at USD. Within the next two years I plan to apply for pharmacy school so I'll keep you all posted about the struggles/triumphs of raising a young child (with my wife) in undergraduate school (I'm 19) and hopefully one day also in pharmacy school.

I predict it will be work but WELL WORTH it. I'm sure fatherhood will be a blessing, and almost feel guilty for those not able to experience it as soon as I will be able to...If you think about it, it's an extra 2-5 years of my child's life I will be able to spend with her before I pass on (hopefully ~100 :) )

God bless all the mothers and fathers on this forum, our endeavors will only better our happiness and family's situation! :D

P.S.- We're both in undergraduate school, science majors, & she's graduating a year early! Everything is possible when you just GO FOR IT!

JD_USD said:
This fall (Sept. 1st) I will become a father to a beautiful baby girl (from what I can tell from the sonograms :love: ). I will be starting on my sophomore year at USD. Within the next two years I plan to apply for pharmacy school so I'll keep you all posted about the struggles/triumphs of raising a young child (with my wife) in undergraduate school (I'm 19) and hopefully one day also in pharmacy school.

I predict it will be work but WELL WORTH it. I'm sure fatherhood will be a blessing, and almost feel guilty for those not able to experience it as soon as I will be able to...If you think about it, it's an extra 2-5 years of my child's life I will be able to spend with her before I pass on (hopefully ~100 :) )

God bless all the mothers and fathers on this forum, our endeavors will only better our happiness and family's situation! :D

P.S.- We're both in undergraduate school, science majors, & she's graduating a year early! Everything is possible when you just GO FOR IT!

wow.. tremendous responsibilities as 19 years old. i don think i could have done it. i wish you luck in every way. pre-congrats for your lovely daughter.

kwakster928 said:
wow.. tremendous responsibilities as 19 years old. i don think i could have done it. i wish you luck in every way. pre-congrats for your lovely daughter.

I'll have my avatar changed w/ my daughter's pic as soon as the first digital picture is snapped!

It's alot as a 19 yr old (but 20 in feb.) but then again I've always had alot on my hands...Guess it was time for me to "upgrade" my level of difficulty ;)

Dear all,

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so glad I found this thread.

I am a new mom to a 1 year old child. This year has been rather hectic because I went back to school full-time to finish the prereqs {after almost 10 years of working} while continuing to nurse my child; my mom had cancer and was going through chemotherapy at the same time. If it wasn't for my supportive husband, our great babysitter and the many caring pharmacists and friends, I wouldn't be able to do it. The good news is I got the acceptance letter right before Christmas. It lifted a huge burden off our shoulders.

My concern is how to manage family and school next fall when I begin pharmacy school. I heard that the first 2 years are very hard. I want to do well in school yet don't want my child and husband to suffer. If you have started pharmacy school and have young children, please share your experience.

Thanks so much.

Beachsaki101

I am 40 with between 10-20 credits to complete my prereqs. I take care of my 17 mo., 5 y.o. and will be caring for a new one expected in Aug '05. Although I have had happazard childcare, I am going to take courses and study during the night and early morning, work part-time as a tutor during the mid-day and do all to maintain our household. My wife is a FP resident (pay is awful) in her 2nd yr. She has been extremely supportive but is not able to be around. I plan to move to Tampa and apply to Creighton then UF. My family is the most important part of my life. If at anytime they get neglected I will stop this journey. But I hope with the grace of GOD I will reach this goal I began 8 yrs. ago. If I can't make it I hope you others Godspeed and best wishes. :thumbup:

beachsaki101 said:
My concern is how to manage family and school next fall when I begin pharmacy school. I heard that the first 2 years are very hard. I want to do well in school yet don't want my child and husband to suffer. If you have started pharmacy school and have young children, please share your experience.

Thanks so much.

Beachsaki101

Here's an update on my situation...
I'm in the middle of my second quarter of pharmacy school. My daughter turned 6 two weeks ago, and my son will be 8 and I will be 27 in February. I have my children enrolled in the before/afterschool program at their elementary school (my daughter is in kinder & son is in a special ed 2nd grade class), so I can drop them off as early as 6:30am and pick them up as late as 6pm. I generally drop them off at 7am on exam days (Tuesdays and Fridays), or 8:00am on non-exam days, and pick them up around 5pm. They haven't been sick YET (knock on wood x infiniti :luck: !!!) I do all of my studying during any spare time at school, and from 9pm after they go to bed until midnight or so during weekdays, and I was able to pull off a 3.3 last quarter. Your grades don't have to be perfect when you have other priorities, so don't be hard on yourself. It's not a hard decision when you're a mom whether to sit and spend the extra hour you have left over after the exam to go back over your answers and agonize over the questions you're not sure on, or to go take cupcakes to your daughter's classroom for her birthday, like I did. Would I rather have the extra 2% on my exam, or see that smile on her face? It's no contest. As long as I'm passing, my kids come first and grades don't matter.

I was at my wits end with my son recently, so much that it would have been at that point that I would have called my ex-husband to tell him that he needed to take care of his son for a while, but I couldn't because...well, he (my ex)died two months ago...so instead I will be attendind parenting classes for parents of children with special needs on Saturdays, and I'm consulting a doctor about possibly trying medication for him (although it's hard for me to allow that since we learn all the nasty side effects in pharm school, and I don't really want to do that to him). Anyway, I just wanted to tell you, as the saying goes..."If I can do it, you can do it!"

Roxicet said:
Here's an update on my situation...
I'm in the middle of my second quarter of pharmacy school. My daughter turned 6 two weeks ago, and my son will be 8 and I will be 27 in February. I have my children enrolled in the before/afterschool program at their elementary school (my daughter is in kinder & son is in a special ed 2nd grade class), so I can drop them off as early as 6:30am and pick them up as late as 6pm. I generally drop them off at 7am on exam days (Tuesdays and Fridays), or 8:00am on non-exam days, and pick them up around 5pm. They haven't been sick YET (knock on wood x infiniti :luck: !!!) I do all of my studying during any spare time at school, and from 9pm after they go to bed until midnight or so during weekdays, and I was able to pull off a 3.3 last quarter. Your grades don't have to be perfect when you have other priorities, so don't be hard on yourself. It's not a hard decision when you're a mom whether to sit and spend the extra hour you have left over after the exam to go back over your answers and agonize over the questions you're not sure on, or to go take cupcakes to your daughter's classroom for her birthday, like I did. Would I rather have the extra 2% on my exam, or see that smile on her face? It's no contest. As long as I'm passing, my kids come first and grades don't matter.

I was at my wits end with my son recently, so much that it would have been at that point that I would have called my ex-husband to tell him that he needed to take care of his son for a while, but I couldn't because...well, he (my ex)died two months ago...so instead I will be attendind parenting classes for parents of children with special needs on Saturdays, and I'm consulting a doctor about possibly trying medication for him (although it's hard for me to allow that since we learn all the nasty side effects in pharm school, and I don't really want to do that to him). Anyway, I just wanted to tell you, as the saying goes..."If I can do it, you can do it!"

Hi Roxicet,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm terribly sorry about your loss. You are an inspiration!

How many units were you taking during the first and second quarter? Did you have any lab?

Beachsaki101

beachsaki101 said:
Hi Roxicet,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm terribly sorry about your loss. You are an inspiration!

How many units were you taking during the first and second quarter? Did you have any lab?

Beachsaki101

Fall Quarter was 17 hrs, including 1 lab for pharmaceutics every Tuesday afternoon. I'm in winter quarter right now, which is also 17 quarter hours, including 1 pharmaceutics lab(part II) every Tuesday afternoon. It's not too bad. Compared to last year, when I was working full time, I actually get to see my kids a little more. :) 2 1/2 more years to go! ;)

Smilescali said:
I am posting this thread because I wanted to see how many of you out there are parents. I have a 2 year old son and am facing a daunting challenge balancing my family life with school. :scared: School is very important to me and was hoping to hear (or see :laugh: ) some personal experiences from you all that are in the same boat.

In my experience, I don't know how I can do it without the strong support system I have here at home. My boyfriend cut his hours at work (and lost his benefits) so he can watch our 2 year old son while I am off on my endeavors - working 24 hours/week as a pharm clerk, volunteering 6 hours/week at a local hospital and taking 12 semester units of prereqs.

My mom was kind enough to pick up my son's health insurance when it was dropped by my boyfriend's employer. My whole family is very supportive and I am so thankful for that.

When I'm feeling down or stressed out, I just think about why I am doing all of this... to make a better life for my son! :love: