Early Decision People...Represent!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnelsen

wienerschnitzel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just submitted my AMCAS application for early decision at the University of Minnesota (yes I did ED even against all of the boos and hisses that ED receives on this site).

If you did ED, why did you do it?

In my case, my wife is going to start her third year in vet school this fall at the University of Minnesota, so it was either U of M or possibly live apart for at least a year (maybe not such a bad thing ;) )

Also, the deadline for submitting the AMCAS application for ED is August 1st. I'm assuming that the AAMC processes the ED applications first because there is no way that it can take the normal six weeks or whatever if the school has to reach a decision by October 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

dnelsen said:
So I just submitted my AMCAS application for early decision at the University of Minnesota (yes I did ED even against all of the boos and hisses that ED receives on this site).

If you did ED, why did you do it?

In my case, my wife is going to start her third year in vet school this fall at the University of Minnesota, so it was either U of M or possibly live apart for at least a year (maybe not such a bad thing ;) )

Also, the deadline for submitting the AMCAS application for ED is August 1st. I'm assuming that the AAMC processes the ED applications first because there is no way that it can take the normal six weeks or whatever if the school has to reach a decision by October 1st.

Reprasentin' D!!!! I chose early decision because I know what school I want to go to! I've done everything possible at the school from summer programs to working here. My hubby won't have to move far and we'll be close to our families and I have faith that I'll get in!!! Who cares about what SDN people say!!! It's all about what God says for me!!!

I did EDat UAB because I was strongly advised to do so by my advisor. I have also had many of my friends who applied ED at UAB tell me that if I have a 30+ with my GPA and personality that I am golden.

I feel very confident about the whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
rhlmdmph2b said:
Reprasentin' D!!!! I chose early decision because I know what school I want to go to! I've done everything possible at the school from summer programs to working here. My hubby won't have to move far and we'll be close to our families and I have faith that I'll get in!!! Who cares about what SDN people say!!! It's all about what God says for me!!!

Preach it sister!

Do you (or shades) know about the whole AMCAS application timeline thing? Do ED'ers like us get bumped to the front of the list?

Shades McCool said:
I did EDat UAB because I was strongly advised to do so by my advisor. I have also had many of my friends who applied ED at UAB tell me that if I have a 30+ with my GPA and personality that I am golden.

I feel very confident about the whole process.

The 30+ part must be nice, you need a 35 to be considered for UW's ED.

adamj61 said:
The 30+ part must be nice, you need a 35 to be considered for UW's ED.

Wow, you're kidding right? I've never heard of such a high requirement for ED! Minnesota is 30...what makes Wisconsin so special ;)

WI is pretty competitive...maybe they will "consider" you with a 30, but I know for sure you have no chance to get it unless you have a 35. They assume to just put you in the regular pool.

When does MN secondary come out? I heard it is paper...how much do you know about the process?

adamj61 said:
When does MN secondary come out? I heard it is paper...how much do you know about the process?

Unfortunately I don't know too much about the process, but I do know that Minnesota pre-screens so they won't send you a secondary until they review your AMCAS application. I talked to someone the other day who seemed pretty well informed on the process and he said not too many apply ED at the U of M and he thought that about 10 get in (out of a class of 160 or so).

dnelsen said:
Preach it sister!

Do you (or shades) know about the whole AMCAS application timeline thing? Do ED'ers like us get bumped to the front of the list?
I don't know for sure. There must be some type of system because they get them in to the schools by the deadline!

I did ED at the University of Md, my state school. I have a family & didn't want to relocate or ask them to relocate, and my stats were above the school's averages. Worked out for me, I start in 4 weeks. :)

Here was my response to a "Should I apply EDP?" thread:

I am applying early to UNC (against the advice of some experienced SDNers) and here is my reasoning:

1. Applying early tells the school that you are committed to going there. Schools like to be your first choice and will often reject qualified applicants that are likely to go elsewhere if accepted.

2. If you get deferred, you have a good chance of getting into that school later. I was told by the UNC admissions office that 99% (this may have been an exaggeration) of students applying EDP got in (if not EDP, then regular).

3. You will be able to focus your efforts on that school. You won't be spreading yourself thin working on tons of secondaries and interviews (initially, at least). This will help you put your best foot forward with your dream school.

4. You won't have to come up with answers to the questions "Why do you want to go to (enter 2nd choice here)?" or "Why do you want to go to (enter 3rd choice here)?" If your heart is totally set on one school, these may be tough questions to answer honestly.

5. Obviously the risk is that you will get deferred and have to apply to other schools "late in the game." By applying late to the other schools, your chances of getting into them is diminished.

6. If you don't get in anywhere you can reapply next year or go Caribbean. I believe those schools have rolling admissions.

You can call the admissions office and ask them if you are a competitive applicant. If not, then EDP is not for you. For me, the risk is worth it. I know that I may end up in Grenada (with a 3.76/30) but I am also maximizing my chances at UNC.

i61164 said:
(with a 3.76/30) but I am also maximizing my chances at UNC.

I hate to be a cynic but we are almost twins in terms of stats... I am currently on the UNC waitlist. Then again you never know with this crazy process. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I applied EDP to ECU/Brody. I do feel it was a good decision because it is the only school that I would like to attend. I have asked several people, med students, professors, advisors, and have really not gotten a straight answer. Let's hope for the best for every one of us!

cheers :D

There's nothing wrong with ED especially if you have a complelling reason to go to a school. Your wife in vet school is a good one. I think that ED only enhances your chances in certain circumstances, though.

Also, I think that AMCAS has expedited handling of ED applications to meet the deadlines. The schools would not tolerate it otherwise.

Good luck with EDP at UNC.
I did this last year.
Similar stats.
Did not get in EDP.
Did not get in Regular.
Waitlisted.
Still waiting.

For the record...there's a FP in Apex that was accepted to UNC EDP about 9 years ago.

He said in retrospect that it probably wasn't a good idea.

UNC is a decently competitive school to get into.

What stats do ya'll think someone should have to do EDP at an ivy like Cornell or Yale? I've got 34/3.97 w/good extracurriculars, but I feel like that's average at those schools...anyone have any advice or EDP stats for these schools or other top 10s w/ EDP (Stanford, etc.)???

i61164 said:
2. If you get deferred, you have a good chance of getting into that school later. I was told by the UNC admissions office that 99% (this may have been an exaggeration) of students applying EDP got in (if not EDP, then regular).

I take it that there is some controversy over this statement. My advise to anyone who is considering applying EDP to UNC is to take this with a grain of salt. I don't really believe it myself (otherwise I wouldn't be so damn paranoid right now), but this is what Randee told me.

On the other hand, since the averages at UNC are about 3.65/31, we know that plenty of people with lower stats than me have gotten in. Since my stats aren't going to get me in or keep me out, I hope that have the "intangibles" that they are looking for.

Going EDP at UK - I just know that is where I wanna go. And in-state advantage of course. Last year UK had 18 EDP applicants and took 15...pretty good odds

I'm considering ED at VCU. I emailed the Dean and got a mostly positive response. My stats are 2.95 (with 4.0 post-bacc) and 39Q. So I obviously have a big hole in my application that I had assumed would be best managed by applying to 25+ schools. But I don't know that, with as long a list as that, my chances would be significantly diminished by applying to them October 1.

I am applying ED to Mercer. I was advised to by the adcom, I now live in Macon, work with the Medical School, and know most of the residents. So, I am an example of not having the highest grades/mcat but I have set myself up to be a very competitive ED canidiate.

Also, I have been waitlisted at Mercer, so thats always a plus for ED.

Hey Shades, WAR EAGLE!! I graduated in 2003 Microbiology.

This thread is great.... I thought I was going to SDN hell for doing EDP. I am doing EDP at LSU-NO. My MCAT score is not that great, but my gpa is golden and I have solid EC's, plus good life experiences. I was also adviced to do EDP, so I am rolling the dice.

Good luck, guys!! We'll all be in by October 1st and chillin until Next August...You're in my prayers!

edp at u md. take a chance take a take a chance chance

i61164 said:
On the other hand, since the averages at UNC are about 3.65/31, we know that plenty of people with lower stats than me have gotten in. Since my stats aren't going to get me in or keep me out, I hope that have the "intangibles" that they are looking for.

I strongly believe UNC's MCAT avg. will be reported at 33 or even a 34 after this year. Every one at the school has said they had really high MCAT applicants this last cycle... a good buddy of mind got off the waitlist with a 36 3.9 from Duke (I can't believe he was waitlisted!). He was advised not to do early decision. If you do decide to go ED I wish you the best of luck. Rock the interview.

GuamGuy said:
I have a strong belief UNC's MCAT avg. will be reported at 33 or even a 34 after this year. Every one at the school has said they had really high MCAT applicants this last cycle... a good buddy of mind got off the waitlist with a 36 3.9 from Duke (I can't believe he was waitlisted!). He was advised not to do early decision. If you do decide to go ED I wish you the best of luck. Rock the interview.

UNC is definately more competitive. The Dean also has not been shy about them wanting to accept more out of state students. It's only gonna get more competitive.

Submitted yesterday...after the woman from admissions called me to say that she remembered me and knew I wanted to go ED. She just wanted to make sure I was doing ok and still planning to apply.

I thought that was going above and beyond the call of duty. When she couldn't find me immediately, she actually called one of my friends.

Maybe all med schools aren't full of admissions jerks. UK rules.

S

I'm ED at University of Kansas SOM.

All you suckers on the coast... it's so much harder to get in out there. Here the suggestion for ED applicants is 3.5 and 28. According to the admissions people they admit almost everyone who applies ED.

stoic said:
I'm ED at University of Kansas SOM.

All you suckers on the coast... it's so much harder to get in out there. Here the suggestion for ED applicants is 3.5 and 28. According to the admissions people they admit almost everyone who applies ED.

The cutoff for the U of MN is a 30 and the "suggest" a P or higher on the writing sample. I was told that about 1/2 of the ED applicants get in through the ED program and most of the rest get in through regular admissions.

Uh, so am I the only crazy who's applying to Baylor EDP? Somone back me up? hmmmmmmmmmmmm...now I'm worried...but I guess it's better if few people apply with me right?