Am I URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greubins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM includes hispanics right? So I was born in the states, I'm white but my mom's from Argentina and my dad is American. I speak spanish fluently (with a lovely Buenos Aires accent). Most of the family that I'm close with and keep in touch with is in BA. I am part latina. Would adcoms go for that?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

greubins said:
URM includes hispanics right? So I was born in the states, I'm white but my mom's from Argentina and my dad is American. I speak spanish fluently (with a lovely Buenos Aires accent). Most of the family that I'm close with and keep in touch with is in BA. I am part latina. Would adcoms go for that?

Thanks

Unfortunately, URM = Blacks, Native Americans, Mexican-americans, and Mainland Puerto Ricans. Your ability to indetify as part Latina will not tell admissions committees to consider your as an underrepresented member in medicine. The regulations now are a bit open, but schools will remain focused on the 4 groups mentioned above.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to investigate more in that one. I have Colombian friends who claimed URM status, no questions asked. Then again, if the AAMC is that specific in its regulations, it might be worth asking around some more.

Any other opinions?

i agree with leechy. i doubt you would qualify as a URM but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Further agreed. I don't think that you are a URM by definition - which you can find on AAMC website info. But if you applied as a listed URM I don't know that you would be interrogated to determine your "URMness". Worst case scenerio is that you are outed as a non-URM and they think you're using it in trying to get a leg up on others..

Good luck, whatever the choice.

dc

bigdan said:
Further agreed. I don't think that you are a URM by definition - which you can find on AAMC website info. But if you applied as a listed URM I don't know that you would be interrogated to determine your "URMness". Worst case scenerio is that you are outed as a non-URM and they think you're using it in trying to get a leg up on others..

Good luck, whatever the choice.

dc

As for integrity, please don't check the incorrect ethnic background. Trust me, Admissions committes do know. From my experience, reading applications, interviewing, reading letters of recommendation, seeing the extracurricular activities, people who check the box to get preferential treatment are weeded out. Also, now, at least at top 10 schools, to ensure the appropriate diversity encouraged by schools, students are expected to show interest in their ethnic background. So, if someone says they are Native Americans, and they have done nothing towards their community, they receive question marks during the review process. and trust me, we do ask about your interest, culture, unique experiences during an interview. everything is a fair game!

my two cents: be honest, and keep your integrity. don't just try to be a URM to get preferential treatment, which in the end, can end up having you rejected from a medical school.

I checked Caucasian and Native American. I am 20% Native American, so it is in no way a lie. I have not suffered any hardships because of it, but it's the truth, so I put it in. I am not looking to get any preferential treatment, although I'm sure I will, because that's how the messed up system works... well, until they see me, because I have blonde hair and blue/green eyes.

I haven't really done a lot in the Native American community. However, I do know some things about Native American culture. Polish and Native American are the two ethnic backgrounds that I relate to. I have not done any volunteer work in either community specifically. Does this mean I'm not really Polish or not really Native American?

I now feel like, since I marked Native American, it will look like I am trying to get preferential treatment that I don't deserve. This isn't true. I just actually am Native American, so I marked it on the application. I wish URM status meant nothing and people just got accepted based on their GPA/MCAT/extracurriculars/etc... wishful thinking...

This is a most interesting topic. I check the aamc site regarding URM status, and yes, it is true that they specify that only AA's, Native America, Mexican Americans, and mainly Puerto Ricans are URM.

However, where do the rest of us lie? The people from South America, Central America and other third world nations that come to this country with nothing but the clothes on their back and a suitcase. Does that not make us underrepresented in society? That is ludicrous.

I am Peruvian, came to the US when I was six and I truly consider myself an underrepresented minority. Perhaps not in medicine, I have no idea how many Peruvians apply to med school yearly, but I believe that this ruling is a technically. I know one thing, I will definitely be checking that box for underrepresented, I am a white hispanic female. I speak fluent Spanish and worked in a city hospital for two years with indigent patients, I utilized my spanish speaking skills to the fullest by translating and being able to give the best patient care I knew how because I was able to communicate with my patient.

I believe that this new definition of a URM is a technicality that reflects the types of ethnic backgrounds that apply yearly. I am sure there is a loophole in this decision. Their defintion is extremely narrow.

How are latinos born from other countries not underrepresented minority groups. And how would they not be considered the same in the medical community. I am sure that there are not a lot of Peruvians sitting next to you in your cadeveur class. This outrages me, and I hope that someone could put more clarity on the situation.

I have self-identified as hispanic/caucasian. My father is half Colombian, and my grandfather was a famous Colombian opera singer/old hollywood movie actor. I may only be 25% hispanic, but I feel ties to the culture. I definitely have enough of "the look" to have experienced racial slurs, etc. on numerous occasions. Sad, but true. Also, although I may only be "partially" hispanic, I know that I will be more approachable for my latino patients and that I will understand their experiences living in as a minority in America.

To the OP, being hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. It doesn't matter if you look white. If being a latina is in your blood, and you strongly identify with that culture, I don't see how anyone is going to tell you that you are anything else.

:) Treg

If you are confused about your identity, then perhaps you should contact AAMC directly. As you can see, if you rely on what is said on this specific thread, you will gain a variety of answers. I agree with CreativeWriter, with respect to what AAMC considers URM. However, I strongly urge you to look on their website. If you have any further questions and the info. provided is of no use, then you should call them directly.

LauraMac said:
I checked Caucasian and Native American. I am 20% Native American, so it is in no way a lie. ...

20%??? How does that work?

Oh, and my AMCAS says "hispanic (Colombian)" for ethnicity. I have been contacted the office of minority affairs/diversity at every school that has offered me an interview. Also, you should read the AAMC definition: http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

"(There is) a shift in focus from a fixed aggregation of four racial and ethnic groups to a continually evolving underlying reality." They have definitely broadened their definitions.

Members don't see this ad :)
jules0328 said:
However, where do the rest of us lie? The people from South America, Central America and other third world nations that come to this country with nothing but the clothes on their back and a suitcase. Does that not make us underrepresented in society? That is ludicrous.

How are latinos born from other countries not underrepresented minority groups. And how would they not be considered the same in the medical community. I am sure that there are not a lot of Peruvians sitting next to you in your cadeveur class. This outrages me, and I hope that someone could put more clarity on the situation.
Do you want a pity party? Seriously, man, nobody in my family was born with a silver spoon in their mouths (poor immigrants is more like it), and they're all from Europe. Do I get anything? Do I care? Not really. If I'm going to get in, it'll be on my own merits. Any family wealth was obtained with a shovel and a wheelbarrow (literally).

LauraMac said:
I checked Caucasian and Native American. I am 20% Native American, so it is in no way a lie. I have not suffered any hardships because of it, but it's the truth, so I put it in. I am not looking to get any preferential treatment, although I'm sure I will, because that's how the messed up system works... well, until they see me, because I have blonde hair and blue/green eyes.

I haven't really done a lot in the Native American community. However, I do know some things about Native American culture. Polish and Native American are the two ethnic backgrounds that I relate to. I have not done any volunteer work in either community specifically. Does this mean I'm not really Polish or not really Native American?

I now feel like, since I marked Native American, it will look like I am trying to get preferential treatment that I don't deserve. This isn't true. I just actually am Native American, so I marked it on the application. I wish URM status meant nothing and people just got accepted based on their GPA/MCAT/extracurriculars/etc... wishful thinking...

All I can say, it's to be ready to be asked about your interests in your ethnic background. It's all fair, and nowdays, with the practices of affirmative action, minorities will be looked more carefully, and expected to show a determination to improve the quality of life and care of their and other communities. From what you shared, just be honest, and ask yourself, how's my ethnic identity going to help me practice the type of medicine that I wish others receive!

Treg said:
I have self-identified as hispanic/caucasian. My father is half Colombian, and my grandfather was a famous Colombian opera singer/old hollywood movie actor. I may only be 25% hispanic, but I feel ties to the culture. I definitely have enough of "the look" to have experienced racial slurs, etc. on numerous occasions. Sad, but true. Also, although I may only be "partially" hispanic, I know that I will be more approachable for my latino patients and that I will understand their experiences living in as a minority in America.

To the OP, being hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. It doesn't matter if you look white. If being a latina is in your blood, and you strongly identify with that culture, I don't see how anyone is going to tell you that you are anything else.

Treg,

As long as you can identify, either by the way you look, the common language that Hispanics speak (i.e. Spanish), and your determination to pay more attention to the needs of your community, you will be doing well. Yes, Medical Schools have shifted into trying to recruit more minorities. But, in the end, only URMs will remain high in their priority list, as far of recruitment efforts, scholarships, etc. You have a point: don't lie to yourself by checking a box to which you cannot identify in any level. If you do so, you are cheating yourself and others, and become what many of us URMs call "BOX CHECKERS!"

jules0328 said:
This is a most interesting topic. I check the aamc site regarding URM status, and yes, it is true that they specify that only AA's, Native America, Mexican Americans, and mainly Puerto Ricans are URM.

I am Peruvian, came to the US when I was six and I truly consider myself an underrepresented minority. Perhaps not in medicine, I have no idea how many Peruvians apply to med school yearly, but I believe that this ruling is a technically. I know one thing, I will definitely be checking that box for underrepresented, I am a white hispanic female. I speak fluent Spanish and worked in a city hospital for two years with indigent patients, I utilized my spanish speaking skills to the fullest by translating and being able to give the best patient care I knew how because I was able to communicate with my patient.

I believe that this new definition of a URM is a technicality that reflects the types of ethnic backgrounds that apply yearly. I am sure there is a loophole in this decision. Their defintion is extremely narrow.

Hi! I thought I would respond to some of your concerns...to enlighten you in the historical backgrounds of Underrepresented minorities IN MEDICINE....

AAMC identifies AA, NA, MEX, PR because through history, since medical school admissions, those were the most abudant, and in many cases, the only minority groups that coexisted with White Americans in the United States. Therefore, it makes sense that they only focus on the groups that throughout history, have suffered longer periods of discrimination and have been secluded from access to higher education. I agree with you, many Latino groups now day, remain underrepresented in higher education, particularly those from South and Central America. This explains the shift that Medical Schools have taken in broadening their definition of URMs.

Unfortunately, unless you check the Mex, or PR box, you will not be considered URM. You will be considered a Minority applicant, by the virtue of your Peruvian background. However, do expect that schools have always been and will continue trying to recruit more conciously URMs, than other minorities....

I hope that you used your life experiences in support of your interest to pursue a career in medicine. this will DEFINITELy bring a third dimension into the teaching and practice of medicine, wherever you choose to attend! :luck:

skiz knot said:
20%??? How does that work?

why is it that people are not smart enough to understand that you don't have to just be 100%/50%/25%/etc. of something?

CreativeWriter said:
All I can say, it's to be ready to be asked about your interests in your ethnic background. It's all fair, and nowdays, with the practices of affirmative action, minorities will be looked more carefully, and expected to show a determination to improve the quality of life and care of their and other communities. From what you shared, just be honest, and ask yourself, how's my ethnic identity going to help me practice the type of medicine that I wish others receive!

I will be telling the truth. I can talk about what I know about the Native American culture and what **** my grandma went through. I will also say that I, personally, have suffered nothing because of it. I'm not going to lie about anything, but I am sure as hell not going to deny the fact that I'm Native American just to not piss off any "real" URMs.

LauraMac said:
I will be telling the truth. I can talk about what I know about the Native American culture and what **** my grandma went through. I will also say that I, personally, have suffered nothing because of it. I'm not going to lie about anything, but I am sure as hell not going to deny the fact that I'm Native American just to not piss off any "real" URMs.

Good for you. Just tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

TheProwler said:
Do you want a pity party? Seriously, man, nobody in my family was born with a silver spoon in their mouths (poor immigrants is more like it), and they're all from Europe. Do I get anything? Do I care? Not really. If I'm going to get in, it'll be on my own merits. Any family wealth was obtained with a shovel and a wheelbarrow (literally).

WOW, you are just plain out rude! I was originally going to write you a long explanation, only to later realize, you are not worth it. You are just bitter!

CreativeWriter said:
Hi! I thought I would respond to some of your concerns...to enlighten you in the historical backgrounds of Underrepresented minorities IN MEDICINE....

AAMC identifies AA, NA, MEX, PR because through history, since medical school admissions, those were the most abudant, and in many cases, the only minority groups that coexisted with White Americans in the United States. Therefore, it makes sense that they only focus on the groups that throughout history, have suffered longer periods of discrimination and have been secluded from access to higher education. I agree with you, many Latino groups now day, remain underrepresented in higher education, particularly those from South and Central America. This explains the shift that Medical Schools have taken in broadening their definition of URMs.

Unfortunately, unless you check the Mex, or PR box, you will not be considered URM. You will be considered a Minority applicant, by the virtue of your Peruvian background. However, do expect that schools have always been and will continue trying to recruit more conciously URMs, than other minorities....

I hope that you used your life experiences in support of your interest to pursue a career in medicine. this will DEFINITELy bring a third dimension into the teaching and practice of medicine, wherever you choose to attend! :luck:

Thank you. I appreciate your response and your curteous viewpoint.

Usually If You Have To Ask Then You're Not!!!

I'm .02% Native American .0005% hispanic 2 2/3 % Russian, and somewhere back 1-2 million years my grest-great-great.............grandmother was an African woman, well sort of a woman she was the only woman in her family the rest were neanderthals.....uh what boxes do I check?....is my math right?

C'mon people either you represent a community that has suffered in this country or you don't.

benelswick said:
C'mon people either you represent a community that has suffered in this country or you don't.

Not sure I agree with this, as evidenced by the many "part-URM" participants in this thread, as well as other cases who land squarely in the gray.

:confused:

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a trollish thread? No offense to the OP, but seriously, what is the point of this thread? Why do you need to ask strangers on a premedical forum whether or not you fit into a specific racial category? I sense another Anti AA thread being born as we speak.. :confused:

Just my thoughts...

greubins said:

Thanks

Can you say "Harvard Med?"

LauraMac said:
why is it that people are not smart enough to understand that you don't have to just be 100%/50%/25%/etc. of something?

Inheritance is usually passed on in multiples of 4, I can't think of a case where you would be 20% of anything, especially if you're grandmother was full blooded American Indian. That would put you at a quarter if you have no other American Indian family members.

elin said:
Inheritance is usually passed on in multiples of 4, I can't think of a case where you would be 20% of anything, especially if you're grandmother was full blooded American Indian. That would put you at a quarter if you have no other American Indian family members.

for the love of god people!! i thought premeds were supposed to be smart! you all agree someone can be 100/50/25/etc, right? let's say someone that was 50 had kids with someone who was 25... now you get someone who is 37.5%. let's say that 37.5 person had kids with someone who was 100... now you get ~ 70%. say this person had kids with someone who was 25... now you get ~ 45%. the point is that you can be any percentage of anything. why do you guys not understand this?

my grandma is 13/16 native american. my dad is 13/32. i am 13/64. i don't know how she got to be 13/16, but that is what is in the records. her mom and dad were both native american, but her dad had some french canadian in him as well.

LauraMac said:
for the love of god people!! i thought premeds were supposed to be smart! you all agree someone can be 100/50/25/etc, right? let's say someone that was 50 had kids with someone who was 25... now you get someone who is 37.5%. let's say that 37.5 person had kids with someone who was 100... now you get ~ 70%. say this person had kids with someone who was 25... now you get ~ 45%. the point is that you can be any percentage of anything. why do you guys not understand this?

my grandma is 13/16 native american. my dad is 13/32. i am 13/64. i don't know how she got to be 13/16, but that is what is in the records. her mom and dad were both native american, but her dad had some french canadian in him as well.
why don't you chill out- i think we all know how to do fractions here. the way you put it made it sound random.

elin said:
why don't you chill out- i think we all know how to do fractions here. the way you put it made it sound random.

why is 20% so random?

LauraMac said:
why is 20% so random?
usually when people say their ethnicity or whatever, they do it in quarters- my grand ma was a quarter this, my dad is an eighth that. I haven't heard anyone give a percent approximation, so when you said twenty percent, I thought you meant exactly 20%. It is probably a regional thing.

elin said:
usually when people say their ethnicity or whatever, they do it in quarters- my grand ma was a quarter this, my dad is an eighth that. I haven't heard anyone give a percent approximation, so when you said twenty percent, I thought you meant exactly 20%. It is probably a regional thing.

okay, sorry about the misunderstanding. i don't know why i got all crazy like that. anyway, i'm either 20% or 13/64 - whichever way you want to look at it. sorry for acting like an a**.

docjolly said:
:confused:

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a trollish thread? No offense to the OP, but seriously, what is the point of this thread? Why do you need to ask strangers on a premedical forum whether or not you fit into a specific racial category? I sense another Anti AA thread being born as we speak.. :confused:

Just my thoughts...

I admit i think this thread is spiraling out of control. by the way what exactly does "trollish" mean? i've seen it a lot on sdn, it's not a term i'm familar with (I assume it has a very negative conotation).
anyway, I was courious as to what the *aamc* considers URM, that's all. I frankly could give a rats ass how people on this forum catagorize me. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my original post. I had no idea the aamc had such a narrow definition of URM. I applied to colleges as latina and participated in "minority" programing at my school. but i realize applying to med school is a whole new ball game.

perhaps I should have just checked the website, but it has sparked some interesting conversation, none of which I think is focused on putting down one group or another (although I admit to not reading the whole thread).

I believe the conversations on this thread highlight how difficult URM status is because not matter how the AAMC defines it, "under-represented minority" isn't clear cut and there have been many people outside of aamc's URM category who historically, as group, have been put through hell.

I hope this clarifies. one thing is certain: i ain't no troll!

greubins said:

Thanks

If you have to ask...then perhaps not. Are some URMs actually unaware of their URM status?

Seems doubtful.

2tall said:
If you have to ask...then perhaps not. Are some URMs actually unaware of their URM status?

Seems doubtful.

uh... please read the whole thread before you respond. I was unaware of the strict guidlines of the aamc's URM status to begin with, that is why i posted my question. the term "un-represented minory" means very little to me just begining this process.
i shouldn't have to explain myself... but it's a rainy tuesday....

sorry i started this to begin with.....

jules0328 said:
WOW, you are just plain out rude! I was originally going to write you a long explanation, only to later realize, you are not worth it. You are just bitter!
Whoa, relax. It's just the Internet. I'm not bitter at all - I just think it's awfully lame that some people try to ride the coattails of others.

not trying to create an argument or anything, but why aren't other ethnicities given 'special treatment' -- like east asians, indians, etc.? i understand that these groups are 'overrepresented' in medicine, but should this necessarily 'hurt' their chances of getting in a medical school if they're average within their racial group (comparing an asian/indian with a 30 MCAT, 3.5 GPA with another minority or even a caucasion with the same stats)?

just wondering what people thought.

TheProwler said:
Whoa, relax. It's just the Internet. I'm not bitter at all - I just think it's awfully lame that some people try to ride the coattails of others.

I dont think we try to ride on the coattails of anyone. However, it is important to know where everyone stands. Obviously if you choose medicine as your life long career, I would hope that most of us here would try to work our tails off anyway to get the best acceptances possible. In many ways, we are all in competition on SDN, whether we want to admit it or not. Everyone wants other ways of increasing their chances, its just the way our mentallity has been set out due to such high standards from the aamc. Some of us are not fully aware of the URM status, that is all.

But now, due to this thread, I think we are all aware of the facts. Thanks guys!

jules0328 said:
I dont think we try to ride on the coattails of anyone. However, it is important to know where everyone stands. Obviously if you choose medicine as your life long career, I would hope that most of us here would try to work our tails off anyway to get the best acceptances possible. In many ways, we are all in competition on SDN, whether we want to admit it or not. Everyone wants other ways of increasing their chances, its just the way our mentallity has been set out due to such high standards from the aamc. Some of us are not fully aware of the URM status, that is all.

But now, due to this thread, I think we are all aware of the facts. Thanks guys!

i thank you jules :)
well put.

-

Last edited:
[off/topic]

schoolgirl you're from plano? i am too, just drove to austin from there a few hrs ago, which highschool and year graduated?

oh and towards this thread:

[X] White = me. blatantly.

so little to worry about, yet so much!

the fact that people are trying desperately to be considered a URM (and have to ask others if indeed they are) says something pathetic about not only the arbitrarily constraining definition of a URM, but also the framework within which it applies to medical school admissions in general.

-

Last edited:
Plano East Senior High, 2001. I like how Frisco is Plano's outcropping, what with that awesome mall/shopping mecca and such

schoolgirl said:
I went to Frisco High School and graduated in 2000... you?

Towards thread: I am not applying as any URM I just wanted to vent about having to check just one box for ethnicity.

i marked two boxes.

-

Last edited:
One last tit for tat on this...

The URM categorization is--it would seem to me--a tool for making a medical class that resembles the population by some relative degree, and also for providing an ameliorative benefit to those who have been denied access to higher education to that end. It is not the end all be all of your personal identity, nor does it mean that if you do not fit their target perameters that you grew up in a vanilla paradise. Your personal statement can display your fitness for relating to different cultures etc. But to simply play out your ambitions at the expense of this benign policy lacks integrity. And no pretense can disguise this from someone who ain't no fool.--Ben