Am I URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look, if you have to ask people online or delve deep into your family history for info, you are probably not a URM, get over it. For anyone that says why aren't other latins blah blah URM is because there is not a significant percentage of your race in this country.
Hispanics and Afr. Americans make up around 25-35% of the population (dont quote me) And despite what you might think of AA and preferential treatment (white people stop complaining) the fact remains that their is a big disparity and it is an issue that needs to be addressed in this country.
Native americans - well they've just been screwed so bad, i don't think anyone should complain about any special treatment they might get.
I'm indian and i've seen lots of white people with lower stats get into schools, scholarships that i didn't, but i'm not gonna sue or bitch and moan about it. If you work hard and keep your sh-t straight, you all should be good

Members don't see this ad.

Also even though Indians are overrepresented in medicine, AMCAS has a category to check east indian, but not a goddamn secondary does- jus Asian/Pacific islander

constructor said:
the fact that people are trying desperately to be considered a URM (and have to ask others if indeed they are) says something pathetic about not only the arbitrarily constraining definition of a URM, but also the framework within which it applies to medical school admissions in general.

Not necessarily, I am 100% hispanic and still wondered if I was considered a URM. There is a difference these days from a URM vs. a minority candidate. And this is something that many of people get confused. So, unless you deeply go into the aamc site and read a ruling set out by the aamc and michigan state back in 2003 you really would not know what to call yourself. I think one of our resources is SDN and when people ask questions here, sometimes they just cant find the information on the web so they call here for answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
jules0328 said:
Not necessarily, I am 100% hispanic and still wondered if I was considered a URM. There is a difference these days from a URM vs. a minority candidate. And this is something that many of people get confused. So, unless you deeply go into the aamc site and read a ruling set out by the aamc and michigan state back in 2003 you really would not know what to call yourself. I think one of our resources is SDN and when people ask questions here, sometimes they just cant find the information on the web so they call here for answers.

you make my point... the fact that you're fully hispanic and still aren't sure is what i'm talking about. i'm sure you've been discriminated against at certain times in your life and you might even be disadvantaged. fortunately, in your case, you are indeed a URM. but there are others of perhaps different races or mixtures of races who aren't sure but are probably hoping to be classified as one anyway.

someone goes, "man, i went through some **** growing up... my single mom raised me and my siblings by herself while making just $40,000 a year". but this person's not necessarily a URM by AMCAS' standards. maybe they'll get a fee waiver... maaaaybe.

and then you have someone who's looking up the family tree one day and he's like "sweeet! i'm the great great great grandson of chief slapahoe... gimme some looooove everybody!!! yeah!!"

isn't this messed up?

constructor said:
you make my point... the fact that you're fully hispanic and still aren't sure is what i'm talking about. i'm sure you've been discriminated against at certain times in your life and you might even be disadvantaged. fortunately, in your case, you are indeed a URM. but there are others of perhaps different races or mixtures of races who aren't sure but are probably hoping to be classified as one anyway.

someone goes, "man, i went through some **** growing up... my single mom raised me and my siblings by herself while making just $40,000 a year". but this person's not necessarily a URM by AMCAS' standards. maybe they'll get a fee waiver... maaaaybe.

and then you have someone who's looking up the family tree one day and he's like "sweeet! i'm the great great great grandson of chief slapahoe... gimme some looooove everybody!!! yeah!!"

isn't this messed up?

now you really need to calm down

I'm 100% Guatemalan, straight from the motherland, no American relatives or anything. I came to the US four years ago, and i've been through my share of troubles, but i don't expect anything from it. I'm not a URM by AAMC def. I asked. They said no, the only people that get URM status are the ones that are listed on the application. That's fine with me.

As a minority, I am constantly appalled that kids that have no ties to their culture and have not gone through the hardships of being a minority claim to be one just to get a foot in the door. A racial slur or two because you're tan doesn't count as being prejudiced against, so don't even try it.

Work your ass off and stop whining...if your grades and scores aren't good enough then I don't want you as my doctor and I dont think many other people will.

yeah, this is exactly what i'm talking about... how in the world are you not a URM when you can probably speak spanish and relate to hispanic patients as well as any person deemed to be a hispanic "URM" by AAMC? this is just what i loathe about the arbitrary nature of their definition even though it doesn't affect me at all in any way.

by the way, i have to give your props for the way in which you dealt with it... not a lot of people would have looked at the whole situation the way you did. :)