Any half Iranian one fourth Welsh one fourth Scottish premeds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saki0005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What? :confused:

Other people have ethnic oriented premed threads. Why can't I?

Members don't see this ad.

saki0005 said:

Nice thread.

Myself: half-Iranian, half-Chicagoan (German, Irish...)

Mixed breeds, unite!

Fusion said:
Nice thread.

Myself: half-Iranian, half-Chicagoan (German, Irish...)

Mixed breeds, unite!

Salam Fusion-joon,

Do you speak farsi? We can talk about SDNers behind their back :laugh: just kidding people

Members don't see this ad :)
saki0005 said:

Haha! I'm close! I'm half Syrian, and half Scottish!!!

I'm only a fourth Iranian, a fourth Welsh and half Scottish. I guess I really don't belong on this thread.

MechE said:
I'm only a fourth Iranian, a fourth Welsh and half Scottish. I guess I really don't belong on this thread.

Yes, I am sorry. You may however appeal this decision by providing me with three letters of recommendation: two from science professors and one from a professor of your choice. Your appeal will not be complete until I receive all 3, and even then it will not be processed because I will lose one and blame it on you :rolleyes:

saki0005 said:
Salam Fusion-joon,

Do you speak farsi? We can talk about SDNers behind their back :laugh: just kidding people

Haleh shomah?

Yeah, I speak a little Farsi. I can converse somewhat, but I have the bad words (i.e., the "basics") down pat. :laugh:

Fusion said:
Haleh shomah?

Yeah, I speak a little Farsi. I can converse somewhat, but I have the bad words (i.e., the "basics") down pat. :laugh:

the bad words are all you need :smuggrin: I'm not stellar with my farsi either. My parents sent me to farsi lessons when I was younger, but my teacher never showed up - she always had excuses like her car or illness or family emergency or alien abduction, etc. I know what I know from listening to family and friends speaking the language throughout my life.

Yo Yo Yo!
Whats up fellas, havent been on sdn in a while, good to see theres some love for the half-persians.
I myself am half persian, and a quarter scottish.
Good luck in the applications guys. Lets take over all the threads!!! sorry

Oh I'm loving this thread. Pure-bred Persian princess here. Here's some love for my fellow persian kitties! :love:

oh and by the way where do some of the rest of you guys live? I'm in Kentucky if you can believe it. Yea an iranian in KY..... go figure. :)

Iranian.... I hate that word. Call it Persian.
Full blooded here, although I was raise in Europe, so not your typical Persian, I'm white washed.
I'm from Valencia, CA (close to LA)

half persian, half russian here in richmond, va

Members don't see this ad :)
full persian here!

hame farsi harf meezaneen?

damn i need some motivation to estudy!!

i hate this ****! blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

As a matter of fact, I am also half persian, half-scottish/irish descent. Anyone in austin?

saki0005 said:
the bad words are all you need :smuggrin: I'm not stellar with my farsi either. My parents sent me to farsi lessons when I was younger, but my teacher never showed up - she always had excuses like her car or illness or family emergency or alien abduction, etc. I know what I know from listening to family and friends speaking the language throughout my life.

My parents made my siblings and me also take farsi lessons back in the day. It was cool for a little while, especially learning to read, but it got old quick. But doesn't everything seem less interesting when you're 12 years old? Of course now I wish that I had paid more attention during farsi class :cool:

I'm glad to see that there are a lot of SDN'ers of PERSIAN descent, but does it really matter that we say "Persian" as opposed to "Iranian"? Many of my Iranian friends also much prefer "Persian," but why does it matter so much? I mean, yes, "Persian" sounds nicer and more exotic, but there should be no shame in "Iranian" at all. Actually, I think it is kind of a shame that the majority of us prefer not to say "Iranian" due to the negative connotation that some people may tie the word to (Iranian hostage crisis, Iran-contra affair, etc.). But really, I don't think we should buy into the ignorance. I use the word "Persian" more often because I like the sound of it, but I have no hesitation in ever saying "Iranian."

Persian makes you sound cool, Iranian makes u sound like a terrorist

i'd rather sound cool than like a terrorist

i'm wondering why we do this to ourselves, is it because of our parents and how much being a doctor is glamorized within our culture?

premed = sucks ass
med = sucks even more
residency = no need to describe

Iranian?

Isn't it simply "IRANI" ????

(Being neurotic/needlessly concerned)

a_student said:

Like I said, we shouldn't buy into people's ignorance.

Fusion said:
Like I said, we shouldn't buy into people's ignorance.

Yeah, but it's the Islamic Republic of Iran. I for one am not muslim so I don't associate myself with "Iran." But then again, there's no existing "Persia" so basically we're screwed.

Call yourselves whatever you want, persian or iranian....it's all good as long as you are proud of your origin. Just don't be like those jerks who tell everyone they are Italian or some other nationality just so they don't get associated with the whole stigma about Iran. I know it happens and that, in my opinion, is just so pathetic.

Here! Half Iranian or Persian... whatever you wanna call it... hate that debate... and half french. Moved to the US four years ago. Speak Farsi fluently, but never learned to read it or write it... Currently live in Philly, PA.

This thread is a good idea! :thumbup:

cowgirl said:
Oh I'm loving this thread. Pure-bred Persian princess here. Here's some love for my fellow persian kitties! :love:

oh and by the way where do some of the rest of you guys live? I'm in Kentucky if you can believe it. Yea an iranian in KY..... go figure. :)

Yo cowgirl, where in KY are you?? Do you come down to nashville ever. Im sure we have a bigger iranian community than you guys. You should come down chill with some of us persians at vandy.

pballa24 said:
Yo cowgirl, where in KY are you?? Do you come down to nashville ever. Im sure we have a bigger iranian community than you guys. You should come down chill with some of us persians at vandy.

hey balla. I'm from Louisville but go to school in Lexington. I've never been to Nashville although I've heard good things and defnitely want to take a road trip down there at some point. I actually got accepted to Vandy for undergrad but decided to take the full scholarship U of Kentucky offered me. But anyway, PM me if you want to keep in touch. Khodahafez.
:)

a_student said:

i'm wondering why we do this to ourselves, is it because of our parents and how much being a doctor is glamorized within our culture?

premed = sucks ass
med = sucks even more
residency = no need to describe

Don't say crap like that...I'm proud to say that I am IRANIAN and anyone who believes Iran is a country of terrorists is ignorant and probably voted for Bush.

To answer your question about why I am pursuing this field...my reason is the same reason any average German, or Italian, or South African, or Japanese pre-med would give you: This is just who I am. I have always gravitated towards the caregiver role. And as a matter of fact, NO, my parents did not pressure me into this. They had the opposite opinion and spent most of my life trying to convince me to find any other career than this.

I'm actually really offended by your "terrorist" statement. People like you make it harder for the rest of us to gain respect and understanding in this country.

saki0005 said:
Don't say crap like that...I'm proud to say that I am IRANIAN and anyone who believes Iran is a country of terrorists is ignorant and probably voted for Bush.

To answer your question about why I am pursuing this field...my reason is the same reason any average German, or Italian, or South African, or Japanese pre-med would give you: This is just who I am. I have always gravitated towards the caregiver role. And as a matter of fact, NO, my parents did not pressure me into this. They had the opposite opinion and spent most of my life trying to convince me to find any other career than this.

I'm actually really offended by your "terrorist" statement. People like you make it harder for the rest of us to gain respect and understanding in this country.

Guess whose ranked number 1 as the state department's list of countries who sponser terrorism.... you guessed right its Iran, some people get offended by the sad reality we live in, but in the end its reality

and oh the statement about how you wanna be a caregiver and stuff like that, open up your eyes, how many ppl do u think would go through with the process for altruistic reasons? I doubt that many.

Even most ppl in my class admit that they wouldn't go through with the process if they weren't gonna make over 100k a year comin out. Its just too difficult of a process. In Persian society and Persian culture, being a doctor is even more prestigious than it is in "white" america, and i'm sure thats a factor of why so many persians are encouraged to go into medicine

saki0005 said:

Saki0005, your point is well taken, but I think that you're overereacting to a_student's statement. I don't think any "iranian" believes that the entire country is one of terrorists. . .however . .you're right, most of America is ignorant (hence the Bush reelection) and this IS a stigma that most people try to stay away from. Nowadays, being PROUD to say that you're anything but American is seen as unpatriotic and an insult to the soldiers fighting in Iraq. Now imagine if you said that and added that you are Iranian (or try Palestinian for that matter . . or even French!).
There's a reason that our parents left Iran and came to the US, Europe etc. I think that it's important to remember those reasons ALONGSIDE being proud of your roots, whatever they may be.

neuronerd said:
Saki0005, your point is well taken, but I think that you're overereacting to a_student's statement. I don't think any "iranian" believes that the entire country is one of terrorists. . .however . .you're right, most of America is ignorant (hence the Bush reelection) and this IS a stigma that most people try to stay away from. Nowadays, being PROUD to say that you're anything but American is seen as unpatriotic and an insult to the soldiers fighting in Iraq. Now imagine if you said that and added that you are Iranian (or try Palestinian for that matter . . or even French!).
There's a reason that our parents left Iran and came to the US, Europe etc. I think that it's important to remember those reasons ALONGSIDE being proud of your roots, whatever they may be.

i personally think that being proud of any "roots" is idiotic in itself

i mean its like saying "i'm proud because i came out of a womb of a ......." who the bleep cares where u came out of?

i am 1/6 persian, 1/6 iraqi, 1/6 afghani, 1/6 palestinian, 1/6 french , 1/6 north korean, kss ma azz Bush

a_student said:
i personally think that being proud of any "roots" is idiotic in itself

i mean its like saying "i'm proud because i came out of a womb of a ......." who the bleep cares where u came out of?

You have entirely missed the point, let me clarify . . when I say roots, I mean cultural roots and there IS a difference (bad and good ones) across cultures. Embracing roots means a whole bunch of things, not necessarily flaunting them as you are suggesting. . . I don't think anyone goes around saying that they are proud to be (insert culture) just for the hell of it. If you've ever taken a social anthro class you will note that there's a need for a sense of community that is intrinsic to human beings since the dawn of time. What you're saying (or what I gather you are saying, I might be wrong) is going against the definition of a society period.

Being proud of my roots means that although I've lived in the US for my entire life, I will pass on the Persian culture that my parents passed on to me to my children because I feel that this culture has enriched my life and given me a wider perspective of the world. This culture is different from African or Greek culture so yeah, I'd be different if I popped out of a different womb. That's more than parenting, that's perserving cultural as well as family roots.

neuronerd said:
You have entirely missed the point, let me clarify . . when I say roots, I mean cultural roots and there IS a difference (bad and good ones) across cultures. Embracing roots means a whole bunch of things, not necessarily flaunting them as you are suggesting. . . I don't think anyone goes around saying that they are proud to be (insert culture) just for the hell of it. If you've ever taken a social anthro class you will note that there's a need for a sense of community that is intrinsic to human beings since the dawn of time. What you're saying (or what I gather you are saying, I might be wrong) is going against the definition of a society period.

Being proud of my roots means that although I've lived in the US for my entire life, I will pass on the Persian culture that my parents passed on to me to my children because I feel that this culture has enriched my life and given me a wider perspective of the world. This culture is different from African or Greek culture so yeah, I'd be different if I popped out of a different womb. That's more than parenting, that's perserving cultural as well as family roots.

i thought of it in the more nationalistic sense as when rednecks put flags everywhere because their "proud to be an american", i damn sure hope they have something else to be proud of

a_student said:
i thought of it in the more nationalistic sense as when rednecks put flags everywhere because their "proud to be an american", i damn sure hope they have soemthing else to be proud of

yeehaa. I second that.

I am semite. Can I add myself to this thread :confused:

We are all the same people, no?

a_student said:
Guess whose ranked number 1 as the state department's list of countries who sponser terrorism.... you guessed right its Iran, some people get offended by the sad reality we live in, but in the end its reality

and oh the statement about how you wanna be a caregiver and stuff like that, open up your eyes, how many ppl do u think would go through with the process for altruistic reasons? I doubt that many.

Even most ppl in my class admit that they wouldn't go through with the process if they weren't gonna make over 100k a year comin out. Its just too difficult of a process. In Persian society and Persian culture, being a doctor is even more prestigious than it is in "white" america, and i'm sure thats a factor of why so many persians are encouraged to go into medicine
Saying that they wouldn't go into this process w/o making >100,000 does not mean you're not going into it for altruistic purposes genius. If one is giving up 4 years (undergrad) + 4 years (medicne) + 3 years (GP residency) + x years (specialty) = minimum 11 years to get to your goal. Do you really think it's wise to get into debt of over $200,000, spend 11 years in which you could've been making a lot more money than in college and not expect compensation monetarily as well? No shet sherlock!!! They wouldn't go into if it meant they were gonna be in debt forever and gave up all that to become a doctor!!! :idea: :rolleyes:

superflyDO said:
Saying that they wouldn't go into this process w/o making >100,000 does not mean you're not going into it for altruistic purposes genius. If one is giving up 4 years (undergrad) + 4 years (medicne) + 3 years (GP residency) + x years (specialty) = minimum 11 years to get to your goal. Do you really think it's wise to get into debt of over $200,000, spend 11 years in which you could've been making a lot more money than in college and not expect compensation monetarily as well? No shet sherlock!!! They wouldn't go into if it meant they were gonna be in debt forever and gave up all that to become a doctor!!! :idea: :rolleyes:

think about what u just said,

how many years does it take w/ a 300k "net" income to pay 200k, also my school offers alot of scholarships and almost everyone subspecializes (top 10) so they're not going to be in a 200k debt, and on average they are gonna make more than 300k

a_student: If you honestly believe that monetary compensation is the only reason most choose medicine, then you are simply reinforcing my belief that you are the most shallow person on the planet. If people want to make money, there are plenty of other careers that can bring in a better income without the extensive training, long hours, blood and guts.
I know this must be shocking to you, especially since you are such an expert on Persian Society and culture, but there is a distinct difference between the iranian government and the iranian people. To generalize all persians as terrorists is like calling all Americans cowboy oil company owners.
Do the world a favor and get a life.

saki0005 said:
a_student: If you honestly believe that monetary compensation is the only reason most choose medicine, then you are simply reinforcing my belief that you are the most shallow person on the planet. If people want to make money, there are plenty of other careers that can bring in a better income without the extensive training, long hours, blood and guts.
I know this must be shocking to you, especially since you are such an expert on Persian Society and culture, but there is a distinct difference between the iranian government and the iranian people. To generalize all persians as terrorists is like calling all Americans cowboy oil company owners.
Do the world a favor and get a life.

i wish i had the time to respond to your ignorant comments, valey javabe ablahan khamoosheest

Agha, can everybody please just chill out? This thread was about our roots and stuff please refrain from insulting each other and stating obvious facts.

Anyways, I am a second year med student at Tulane. 100% irooni and proud of it. The term "Iran" has no association whatsoever with islam or islamic republic. It is an old farsi word meaning "the land of the aryans" It is a much more inclusive name and in my opinion technically more proper than "persia" which means land of the persians because from my understanding persians were only a subset of aryans migrants that moved south into iran to setup the first civilizations there. That said you can call yourself whatever you want, just dont judge other people because there's no right or wrong here.

Another thing: I want to try and see if I can setup up an email listserv so iranian pre-meds and med students can keep contact. I think it gives people the chance to network within our community and also a good way for to seek the advice of your peers and upperclassmen. It is NOT going to be a forum for expressing strong personal opinions or arguments or insults or advertisement or spam and you will not be able to send private messages to other people within the list.

I'll take the responsibility of keeping it running and keeping the email addresses and names anonymous. The way its gonna work is I am going to have all the emails go through my address and then I'll forward (BCC) it to the whole group. That way the only email address that everyone will see is going to be my address. I will monitor the emails before forwarding them to make sure that they are appropriate for the mailing-list per above criteria.

If you are intrested please PM me with your email address and what year of college/med school you are in. If I get a good response, I'll make the same post in the med student forums and hopefully we'll get this thing kicking in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions or comments are also welcome.

Take care yall.

ps: shout out to the nashville people - I visited Vandy a couple of weeks ago for AMSA conference: great school, I met 2 iranians just from the vanderbilt chapter. Also I loved the student lounge :)

geromine said:
Another thing: I want to try and see if I can setup up an email listserv so iranian pre-meds and med students can keep contact. I think it gives people the chance to network within our community and also a good way for to seek the advice of your peers and upperclassmen. It is NOT going to be a forum for expressing strong personal opinions or arguments or insults or advertisement or spam and you will not be able to send private messages to other people within the list.

I'll take the responsibility of keeping it running and keeping the email addresses and names anonymous. The way its gonna work is I am going to have all the emails go through my address and then I'll forward (BCC) it to the whole group. That way the only email address that everyone will see is going to be my address. I will monitor the emails before forwarding them to make sure that they are appropriate for the mailing-list per above criteria.

If you are intrested please PM me with your email address and what year of college/med school you are in. If I get a good response, I'll make the same post in the med student forums and hopefully we'll get this thing kicking in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions or comments are also welcome.

Take care yall.

ps: shout out to the nashville people - I visited Vandy a couple of weeks ago for AMSA conference: great school, I met 2 iranians just from the vanderbilt chapter. Also I loved the student lounge :)

agreed =)

i thought vanderbilt was pretty sweet too, nice new childrens hospital up and running

I am calling a truce. a_student: I apologize for calling you ignorant and telling you to get a life.

saki0005 said:
I am calling a truce. a_student: I apologize for calling you ignorant and telling you to get a life.

truce sounds good, i was just thinkin it must be funny for the gringos reading this thread cause they might think no wonder theres so much fightin in the middle east!

its kindda amazing how many persians i see interviewing for medschool, also another kindda interesting thing is that persian parents tend to accompany thier kids at the interviews (guys and girls), i've talked with a couple of persian parents as they were waiting for their kids during their interview day. its cool how involved they are in the "process" and in their childrens education,

big hurray for our parents!

CheckMate said:
Hey guys,
keery-yeh

That's about the extent of my vocab and I probably wouldn't have much else to say even if I did know more. Frankly, I think that says it all. I'm so tired of this process, and I wish it would be over soon. But, most of the schools are not rolling so I guess I (and those who share my sentiments) have to just pull through until Feb/March/whenever they decide to send out letters!! If you guys ever decide to put together a mailing list, include me!!
Bye for now.

waitings the worst part, but when you get in, it'll be worth the wait! trust me on this,

try to relax during your senior year cause when medschool starts again, all the work begins anew

Yes Persian parents push their kids to be doctors. It comes back again to their need to "show off" in front of their friends. Call me ignorant, but it's the reality. I'm not saying all persians are show offs, but compared to other nationalities, we are the leaders. Look at most persian parents at parties, they wear their most expencive clothes and all they do is talk about how their kids are going to be succesful and make lots of money. Also look at the cars we drive, Mercedes and BMW, even when we can't afford them. I'll say it again, we are a nation of show offs. It amazes me how hard we try to impress other people.
I'm just gonna sit here and wait for all the " You're so ingorant and close minded" remarks. I'm not ignorant, I'm just facing reality.

drnima said:
I'm just gonna sit here and wait for all the " You're so ingorant and close minded" remarks. I'm not ignorant, I'm just facing reality.

Don't even sweat it cause you are right on. Our parents are total showoffs. I can't even tell you how many times my folks have rubbed my nose in the success of their other Persian friends' kids. I, for one, am so over it. They need to wake up and realize that we need to be living for ourselves and not for others and stop pushing their kids and giving them ulcers like mine have. Oh and the Persian applicants whose mommies and daddies go with them to their interviews? Give me a break..that's not good parenting and caring..that's being overbearing and not letting your kids be responsible for themselves. I have to admit though, as much as I really dislike certain things about the Persian culture, I would NEVER want to be anything other than Persian. Our culture, as a whole, kicks butt!
:)

I second that. It's sad, but very true. And, I'm not gonna check this thread for the next week, because I don't wanna read all the insults that people are gonna send us... ;)

drnima said:
Yes Persian parents push their kids to be doctors. It comes back again to their need to "show off" in front of their friends. Call me ignorant, but it's the reality. I'm not saying all persians are show offs, but compared to other nationalities, we are the leaders. Look at most persian parents at parties, they wear their most expencive clothes and all they do is talk about how their kids are going to be succesful and make lots of money. Also look at the cars we drive, Mercedes and BMW, even when we can't afford them. I'll say it again, we are a nation of show offs. It amazes me how hard we try to impress other people.

drnima said:

I'm not calling anyone ignorant - I've reached my quota for the day.

Maybe my father is a freak of nature in the Iranian community, but he never pushed me into the whole med school thing. I do agree with generalization that we do a lot of showing off. If I showed up to a sizdeh bidar picnic with jeans and a t-shirt, I would be shunned.
Although my dad never pushed me into medicine, he did make sure I studied hard at what ever I did. When I was little, my dad would tell me that I wasn't studying enough because my glasses weren't thick enough :laugh: