How does one calculate volunteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dew024

Reaction score
I took a mission trip to Guatemala in which I spent a week in a village helping out kids.

How do I calculate that into my volunteering hours? Do I just provide estimated hours? I am trying to be as thorough as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not write 168 hours. Estimate how many hours each day you were helping kids, sum the number of hours per day over the week and there you have it!

Reactions: 1 users
The easiest method would be the leave off the mission trip entirely. These are often voluntourism. Based on what you shared in another post, you do not need to worry about figuring out details like hours right now since you are a ways away from applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How were you helping kids and not adults, is this for an educational mission working with students in a classroom? A description would be nice, but I agree that unless you were doing this for 8 hours a day, calculate the actual time you were face to face with students.

Do not include time your spent fundraising for your journey.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not write 168 hours. Estimate how many hours each day you were helping kids, sum the number of hours per day over the week and there you have it!
Semi-related question: a couple of my volunteer positions keep a log, so I put my exact hours on my application resulting in a non-rounded number. It also happened to be JUST over 500 at the time of input, so I could imagine someone thinking that I intentionally volunteered just enough to cross that landmark. Am I reading too much into this?

Reactions: 1 user
Semi-related question: a couple of my volunteer positions keep a log, so I put my exact hours on my application resulting in a non-rounded number. It also happened to be JUST over 500 at the time of input, so I could imagine someone thinking that I intentionally volunteered just enough to cross that landmark. Am I reading too much into this?
Yes. You are overthinking this.

Reactions: 2 users