Students of Hawaii College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How was your first semester? I really don't care about the whole accreditation thing because I know HCP will get accredited.

I just want to know how is the faculty, the experience, etc. I'm heavily considerring HCP, but I just want a little more input.

Most of what I have read on this website about HCP is speculation, please respond to give the actual experience at HCP.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be very suprised if someone from HICP actually responds to this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Supposedly, they admitted their first class this year. I remmember a bunch of people who got accepted there on this board. Wonder where they are now? ;)

I've never been to Hawaii, so this may be a dumb question, but...

...it would seem to me that HI isn't exactly overflowing with pharmacies. Where will they find enough internship sites to support two separate pharmacy programs in the state? ...wouldn't surprise me if HICP forces students to do some of their internships back on the mainland.

We just finished our 1st semester and as far as I can tell, from my experieces so far,

We just finished our 1st semester and as far as I can tell, from my experieces so far, I can say without a doubt, WATCH OUT UCSF, USC, UOP and other top pharm schools, HICP will be leapin' ova' ya before the next rankings (if there are any out there), yo.

EarlyEditionDude said:
We just finished our 1st semester and as far as I can tell, from my experieces so far, I can say without a doubt, WATCH OUT UCSF, USC, UOP and other top pharm schools, HICP will be leapin' ova' ya before the next rankings (if there are any out there), yo.
ha ha ha...your so damn funny I forgot to laugh! Please stop making me laugh!! :laugh: :laugh:

Your post is just stupid and unprofessional. Why are you acting like you go to HICP when any veteran around here knows you go to UOP? To be funny? :thumbdown:

goheel said:
Supposedly, they admitted their first class this year. I remmember a bunch of people who got accepted there on this board. Wonder where they are now? ;)

They most likely don't use this forum from the repeated attacks on their school. My purpose for starting this thread is to not even talk about the accreditation, but to actually hear about the school.

Caverject said:
ha ha ha...your so damn funny I forgot to laugh! Please stop making me laugh!! :laugh: :laugh:

Your post is just stupid and unprofessional. Why are you acting like you go to HICP when any veteran around here knows you go to UOP? To be funny? :thumbdown:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Isn't it kind of ironic that more of your posts (compared to mine)are STIPUD AND UNPROFESSIONAL. I wouldn't be talking if I were you, Mr. "I work 167 hours a week and drink a lot of coffee " pharmacy student, CaverEject. What do you do with the other hour to complete your week? Masturbate and post 3,000+ times on SDN? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EarlyEditionDude said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Isn't it kind of ironic that more of your posts (compared to mine)are STIPUD AND UNPROFESSIONAL. I wouldn't be talking if I were you, Mr. "I work 167 hours a week and drink a lot of coffee " pharmacy student, CaverEject. What do you do with the other hour to complete your week? Masturbate and post 3,000+ times on SDN? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
What's your point? Your post is still "STIPUD" and unprofessional. I do not go around acting like some jackoff from UOP like what your representing from HICP. I'm sorry that you can not detect humor in my work week post. It must be a sad life when you are reduced to pretending to be someone your not, and a HICP student at that. Couldn't you have picked a better school to pretend where your from like UCSF or USC? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally something that I can post about.

Microbus out

EarlyEditionDude said:
The starter of this thread was trying to create a nice enviornment for the Hawaii CoP people to come and talk about their experiences.

Everyone here but you seemed to get that and tried to be as professional as possible.

I understand that in many threads I myself make stupid and unprofessional comments but I at least know when it is definitely inappropriate.

Keep the room clean please, guys! :scared:

flyer said:
How was your first semester? I really don't care about the whole accreditation thing because I know HCP will get accredited.

I just want to know how is the faculty, the experience, etc. I'm heavily considerring HCP, but I just want a little more input.

Most of what I have read on this website about HCP is speculation, please respond to give the actual experience at HCP.

I know someone personally who is in this class. As far as what I know everything is going fine. I am sure there have been minimal issues with a start up school but what school doesn't have issues. The school did apply for candidate status recently and is just waiting for the outcome. Now the students are in their second semester. I hear mostly positive things about the faculty and school in general so I think they are hopefully on the right track.

How many students are in HICP's first class? I thought that it was around 130, but recently somebody told me *240*. Anyone know for sure?

jdpharmd? said:
How many students are in HICP's first class? I thought that it was around 130, but recently somebody told me *240*. Anyone know for sure?

It appears the school's first class has about 240 students (twice the number of students per class at UCSF). The school's yahoo group emailing list for students has 247 members:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/hicp2004/

This would make HICP the largest pharmacy school in the nation. I really think HICP enrolled that many students for financial gain but had no intention in graduating that many students because of the lack of rotation sites. I was told many students do not pass their classes.

UF has almost 300 students. ~130 at Gainesville and ~ 60 at 3 satellite campuses. I think that would mean they are larger than HI?

Such hostility and anger. Geez... that's sad.

How ironic, though, I just found out there was a school or will be a school in Hawaii yesterday, and told my parents if I don't get into UIC that I'd be moving to Hawaii. I bet you the weather is beautiful and the people are kind.

Aloha ;)
Chris

Betty'sBeast said:
UF has almost 300 students. ~130 at Gainesville and ~ 60 at 3 satellite campuses. I think that would mean they are larger than HI?
Yup...you're correct. UF is the largest pharmacy school in the country. That being said, they also have a lot of experience because the school opened in 1923. I think that it would be hard to start a new school with such a high enrollment as 247 students. That's crazy, but I wish HICP the best of luck even though they started a little unconventionally.

pharmaz88 said:
I've never been to Hawaii, so this may be a dumb question, but...

...it would seem to me that HI isn't exactly overflowing with pharmacies. Where will they find enough internship sites to support two separate pharmacy programs in the state? ...wouldn't surprise me if HICP forces students to do some of their internships back on the mainland.

Actually Hawaii has a shortage of pharmacists. And there are a ton of pharmacies on Oahu alone. Longs Drugs being very prominent. So as far as sites for the students I don't think there will be a problem finding places for them to go. As far as what I have heard though...their third year they can CHOOSE to go to their home state to finish their rotations. And this is not uncommon because I have many friends at various pharmacies schools who also had the opportunity to go home to do their rotations. But they are not as you put it...being forced.

trvlgrl said:
I know someone personally who is in this class. As far as what I know everything is going fine. I am sure there have been minimal issues with a start up school but what school doesn't have issues. The school did apply for candidate status recently and is just waiting for the outcome. Now the students are in their second semester. I hear mostly positive things about the faculty and school in general so I think they are hopefully on the right track.

I went to Hawaii last summer and people told me that it is very expensive to live in the city Kapolei, where the school is located. Outside of Kapolei it is still expensive, I heard the best rent that someone could get would be $1000/month. That really is my only dilemma going to Hawaii, I would be way in debt.

Surely, your friend is taking loans to pay for their rent, but what exactly is his/her situation? Do they live in Kapolei? Are my figures overestimated?

flyer said:
I went to Hawaii last summer and people told me that it is very expensive to live in the city Kapolei, where the school is located. Outside of Kapolei it is still expensive, I heard the best rent that someone could get would be $1000/month. That really is my only dilemma going to Hawaii, I would be way in debt.

Surely, your friend is taking loans to pay for their rent, but what exactly is his/her situation? Do they live in Kapolei? Are my figures overestimated?

I just called my friend and hopefully this will answer your questions. He said Kapolei is expensive but so is the whole island. He said Honolulu is more expensive and also quite a drive with traffic. He lives in Kapolei/Makakilo and pays about $1300 a month for a 2 bed/2bath. He has a roommate but it is still expensive. He said you might find cheaper rent elsewhere but you will be driving farther. To him I guess it is worth paying extra for not having to deal with traffic. He said he will be in debt but also knows other people at other schools who are in just as much debt as he will be.

Anyways..I hope that helps a little.

From an HICP student (who also lives in Kapolei),
The school is good, we worked out a lot of kinks and are now on cruise control. Every school has problems when they open and we had our share. I don't quite understand all the hating on this website. What exactly did HICP do to the people who constantly make up this crap about my school?

All of Hawaii is expensive, however I live in Kapolei and we have a nice 3bedroom 2 1/2 bath for 1700, which may sound like a lot unless you're from CA, but its not that bad, less than 600 a piece is a pretty darn good price. I know people who pay more but live in worse neighborhoods and people who pay more but live in apartments, so you just have to look around and you'll find a nice place. The area we live in is gorgeous, the whole island of course is beautiful and the people are very welcoming and warm. It's a wonderful place to live and I am seriously considering moving here permanently after school.

We have a big class for a very simple reason. They had to accept more students then their limit of 140 to ensure they would have a full class, they didnt expect 244 to actually come. However, since we did, it wasn't difficult to accommodate all of us. The company that runs the school IS for profit. SO WHAT?! You think the leaders of YOUR schools arent making money? Pah Leeze. Just because you're "non-profit" doesn't mean you arent making a ton of money. What happens to the money? Do they give it to charity? Do the professors work for free? Give me a break. The best and smartest way to run a profitable company is to put out a good product, so it would be in their best interest (financially) to make this school great and the students who graduate from it leaders in our profession.

Do us all a favor and shut your mouths if you have no REAL facts to back up your ludicrous fallacies. If you have some personal problem with my school, take it up with someone who has some power and stop oozing your ignorance on everyone. Thank you.

John

JohnHICP said:
From an HICP student (who also lives in Kapolei),
The school is good, we worked out a lot of kinks and are now on cruise control. Every school has problems when they open and we had our share. I don't quite understand all the hating on this website. What exactly did HICP do to the people who constantly make up this crap about my school?

To what "crap" are you referring? If you are referring to the long HICP thread, that was a concern about accreditation and financial aid that got out of control. See more of my comment below.

JohnHICP said:
All of Hawaii is expensive, however I live in Kapolei and we have a nice 3bedroom 2 1/2 bath for 1700, which may sound like a lot unless you're from CA, but its not that bad, less than 600 a piece is a pretty darn good price. I know people who pay more but live in worse neighborhoods and people who pay more but live in apartments, so you just have to look around and you'll find a nice place. The area we live in is gorgeous, the whole island of course is beautiful and the people are very welcoming and warm. It's a wonderful place to live and I am seriously considering moving here permanently after school.

We have a big class for a very simple reason. They had to accept more students then their limit of 140 to ensure they would have a full class, they didnt expect 244 to actually come. However, since we did, it wasn't difficult to accommodate all of us.

Thank you for updating us on your school. Whether you wish to believe it or not, no one wants HICP to be unsuccessful. I am glad to hear that things are beginning to run smoothly and that you are enjoying it there.

JohnHICP said:
The company that runs the school IS for profit. SO WHAT?! You think the leaders of YOUR schools arent making money? Pah Leeze. Just because you're "non-profit" doesn't mean you arent making a ton of money. What happens to the money? Do they give it to charity? Do the professors work for free? Give me a break. The best and smartest way to run a profitable company is to put out a good product, so it would be in their best interest (financially) to make this school great and the students who graduate from it leaders in our profession.

See, here is where I begin to dislike your post. I think the way you could have handled it here is to just positively inform people who aren't aware of what for-profit organizations are, and not to have gone on the defensive.

JohnHICP said:
Do us all a favor and shut your mouths if you have no REAL facts to back up your ludicrous fallacies. If you have some personal problem with my school, take it up with someone who has some power and stop oozing your ignorance on everyone. Thank you.

No one is currently flaming your school. All of that stuff was a long time ago. If you read through the thread, you will see that many of our forum members DID try to contact those in charge of your school with their valid concerns. Also, when a student that was accepted to HICP comes on here to say, "There are no longer any lenders for HICP's financial aid, and we were told to ask our parents to refinance their house," wouldn't that send up a red flag? And wouldn't opening a new school in a fashion that no other school has done before worry you just a bit? Those were the real concerns behind the other thread, and people's feelings were hurt. Remember, many times it is hard to detect the connotation of words online, because you cannot hear which ones are stressed or the manner in which they are expressed.

This last paragraph of yours, however, just cries for someone to fan the flames, and it is truly unnecessary.

JohnHICP: I have now read two of your posts (in prepharm and pharm forums) and I really feel as if you are being rather hostile. If you want me to think good things about your school and your program perhaps the best way to go about it is to not go on the offensive at first because i really feel as if you're asking for people to go off on you at some point.

All of us represent our schools whether the school likes it or not. I understand that in the past things have been said however I also know that everyone on here is very interested in your school and is willing to change their opinions when someone from that school posts and gives them reason to.

If people are saying false things then it is up to you to give us the correct story "from the horse's mouth" but this can be done without hostility.

my school/city has been borderline accused of racism. i didn't go absolutely nuts on anyone. i meerly tried to help others understand why they may have felt that way or what may have provoked the idea.

I definitely appreciate your input with regards to your school/curriculum but i would ask that you chill out a little bit and not assume that everyone is out to get you and your school

bbmuffin said:
JohnHICP: I have now read two of your posts (in prepharm and pharm forums) and I really feel as if you are being rather hostile. If you want me to think good things about your school and your program perhaps the best way to go about it is to not go on the offensive at first because i really feel as if you're asking for people to go off on you at some point.

All of us represent our schools whether the school likes it or not. I understand that in the past things have been said however I also know that everyone on here is very interested in your school and is willing to change their opinions when someone from that school posts and gives them reason to.

If people are saying false things then it is up to you to give us the correct story "from the horse's mouth" but this can be done without hostility.

my school/city has been borderline accused of racism. i didn't go absolutely nuts on anyone. i meerly tried to help others understand why they may have felt that way or what may have provoked the idea.

I definitely appreciate your input with regards to your school/curriculum but i would ask that you chill out a little bit and not assume that everyone is out to get you and your school

I'm sorry if i came off as hostile to everyone, I was merely trying to get my point across to the people who make up fallacies about my school.

I don't mean to be hostile and I AM here to set the record straight, in a civilized manner ;)

If anyone has any questions at all regarding HICP, please feel free to ask and I will give you the honest answer, I want everyone to be knowledgable about whats going on and no more assumptions :D

John

JohnHICP said:
I'm sorry if i came off as hostile to everyone, I was merely trying to get my point across to the people who make up fallacies about my school.

Apology accepted.

JohnHICP said:
I don't mean to be hostile and I AM here to set the record straight, in a civilized manner ;)

If anyone has any questions at all regarding HICP, please feel free to ask and I will give you the honest answer, I want everyone to be knowledgable about whats going on and no more assumptions :D

Fair enough. :) Now for my questions... :smuggrin: ;)

What made you choose HICP? Were there others schools to which you applied, but in the end decided to go to HICP? Are there any changes from the first application season to the current one, and is there an increase in the number of applications? And how is HICP marketing to applicants? I would have never heard of HICP had it not been for this site.

is HICP going to decrease their next class size from 240 back down to 140? after all they obviously had an overwhelming response and space may be limited (as it is at my school)

I'm applying there at the moment, and received an e-mail from HICP stating that they were planning to accept 80-100 applicants for the class of 2005.... JohnHICP probably has a better idea about the numbers though, as I haven't heard from them since November.

BTW, thanks JohnHICP for responding, it's good to hear information about the school =)

Has anyone applied to HICP for Fall of 2005? If so have you heard anything regarding interviews? Also I heard that you have to attend the interview that will be held in Hawaii, is that true? I know that last year they just did phone interviews. If you know anything regarding that let me know as well. Let me know, because I applied there a while ago and I know that they just started reviewing in January, but I still haven't heard anything yet...Thanks

FutureRxGal said:
What made you choose HICP? Were there others schools to which you applied, but in the end decided to go to HICP? Are there any changes from the first application season to the current one, and is there an increase in the number of applications? And how is HICP marketing to applicants? I would have never heard of HICP had it not been for this site.

I chose HICP over NVCP (now USN), which i was also accepted to, simply because it has been my dream to come to Hawaii and I feel confident that we will get accredited. Also the idea of being in the inaugural class has a very large sentiment to it.

The huge change is that they require everyone to have an onsite interview, which was not previously required. For instance, I had a very relaxed interview at Starbucks with our CEO who is also from Las Vegas and was accepted on the spot. This is no longer the case and it is much more formal now. Also they require physics and biochem, which wasnt required previously. I'm not quite sure how HICP is marketing to students however i assume its simply word of mouth like last year. I'm not sure on the total number of applicants but i heard there are more this year.

Keep the questions coming! :D

John

bbmuffin said:
is HICP going to decrease their next class size from 240 back down to 140? after all they obviously had an overwhelming response and space may be limited (as it is at my school)

They are certainly reducing the class size to more near 100. They mentioned 80 a few months ago, but have sinced backed off that statement. I assume somewhere in the 120 - 140 range. There is adequate space available because we are still in our temporary campus. The three new buildings are enormous and will be beautiful, but the first years class wont enjoy the benefits of them :mad:

John

appleciousrx03 said:
Has anyone applied to HICP for Fall of 2005? If so have you heard anything regarding interviews? Also I heard that you have to attend the interview that will be held in Hawaii, is that true? I know that last year they just did phone interviews. If you know anything regarding that let me know as well. Let me know, because I applied there a while ago and I know that they just started reviewing in January, but I still haven't heard anything yet...Thanks

Yes, you are required to do an onsite interview. I disagree with this policy because it costs a lot of money to fly all the way here just for an interview, however many schools require this and I guess we're no different. We have already conducted many interviews and I myself am conducting some at the end of this month.

John

appleciousrx03 said:
hi,
I applied to hicp last year , Fall 2004, got accepted, but didn't get to be there for financial reasons...so I had to defer my admission...anyway, I just called the school today, and was told that applicants for fall 05 DO have to go there for an interview (except for deffered students,like me, cuz I already had an interview last year, they only did it by phone back then). You can call them and ask about your application status...Last year, I sent in my application really late, like the end of March...and did not get an interview until June something...and got accepted in late July...so I guess you should just be patient...call them and ask, they really like that (or at least I was told so by one of the staff in there, just don't call in too often...the staff is very friendly...they make me feel very comfortable when i talk to them...Attending the interview is actually not a bad idea at all, cuz you'll get a real feel for the place, the school, the students, the staff...etc.I wish you luck, and let us know about your interview experience, would you? :)

Abilene said:
hi,
I applied to hicp last year , Fall 2004, got accepted, but didn't get to be there for financial reasons...so I had to defer my admission...anyway, I just called the school today, and was told that applicants for fall 05 DO have to go there for an interview (except for deffered students,like me, cuz I already had an interview last year, they only did it by phone back then). You can call them and ask about your application status...Last year, I sent in my application really late, like the end of March...and did not get an interview until June something...and got accepted in late July...so I guess you should just be patient...call them and ask, they really like that (or at least I was told so by one of the staff in there, just don't call in too often...the staff is very friendly...they make me feel very comfortable when i talk to them...Attending the interview is actually not a bad idea at all, cuz you'll get a real feel for the place, the school, the students, the staff...etc.I wish you luck, and let us know about your interview experience, would you? :)
I guess I'll see you in September then ;)

And yes, if anyone is coming for an interview, you're going to love it here. The humidity takes a couple weeks to get used to, but being able to surf in December and January is amazing and the weather is so beautiful in the summer. Everything is so green (which is something new for a desert guy like me). The people of Hawaii are just amazing too, very warm and welcoming. I've never been discriminated against (I was told I woul get razzed for being white), everyone is very nice.

John

yo john,
maybe this is more of a question for an admin. at your school, but how come your school doesn't require pcats? or will they? I noticed the biochem pre-req. cause they are the only school i've seen that requires it. Geez, that's such a pain, if i want to apply i gotta go back and take it. :mad:

supermn54 said:
yo john,
maybe this is more of a question for an admin. at your school, but how come your school doesn't require pcats? or will they? I noticed the biochem pre-req. cause they are the only school i've seen that requires it. Geez, that's such a pain, if i want to apply i gotta go back and take it. :mad:

I believe there are a bunch of schools which dont require PCATS, USN I dont believe does either. I cant tell you why though.

Yeah the biochem prereq might suck because it is a difficult course but it will help you a lot. Its only one semester and I wish i took biochem in undergrad, it would have helped a lot. Biochem is pretty difficult, especially when taught by the "king" :laugh:

John

bananaface said:
The ACPE Meeting finished up today. The status of their application should be included in the meeting minutes. Minutes will be up in a few days at the link below. For now, what you see are the minutes from last June's meeting.

http://www.acpe-accredit.org/news/default.asp

I called ACPE and they told me that with permission from the schools, they will update this site as of next week. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

They were turned down, no candidate status for HICP! I don't think you could pay me to go to this school...

bananaface said:
I am sure they will be reapplying, though. Apparently, their application this time was not complete.

This thread has a bit more detail:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178130

anyone know the average stats of last years stats for last years incoming class?...i'm planning on applying out-of-state just in case i don't get into a school inTX.

appleciousrx03 said:

i applied ... in mid march, and got a confirmation towards the end of march, and yesterday i got a letter inviting me for an interview next week. yay. so trip to hawaii! ;o) and, yes they are conducted in hawaii.