Just took DAT...My Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TX Hopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just took the DAT and I thought I would offer my thoughts on the experience to include preparation, resources, and the actual exam since I have taken oodles and oodles of knowledge from this site.

First off...here are my practice exam and actual DAT scores:

Bio---GC---OC---TS---RC---QR---AA---PAT
Barron's A----16---18---19----18---19---22---19----19
Barron's B----17---18---17----18---20---24---19----20
Kaplan BB----20---17---21----20---19---21---20----22
Kaplan CD----19---17---18----18---19---22---19----20
Topscore1---19----19---15---18---21----21---19---21
Topscore2---18----18---18---19---20----20---19---22
Topscore3---18----16---19---18---22----22---19---25

Actual DAT---22---23---20---22---20----22---21---19

So, a with a general analysis you can conclude that the general "3-point" rule is pretty true. I scored about 2-3 points higher on the actual DAT on the sciences.

As for studying...I have not taken a college course, studied, or been in any kind of academic atmosphere for the past 6-1/2 years. I've been in the work force, and I took 3 months off to study for the DAT. I would not recommend a study plan that went beyond 3 months. I was at the point where I was tired of looking at the same stuff over and over again. I studied between 4-7 hours a day.

Bio-
Resources: Kaplan book which I bought on Amazon.com; Schaum's Biology Outline; Campbell's Third Edition; and class notes from when I took Bio in 1994. I didn't see a lot of plant, evolution, or ecology questions on my DAT. I studied primarily from Kaplan, and I think they do a great job of presenting biology (contrary to what a lot of SDNers say). I referred to Schaum's and Campbell's on occasion if I was uncomfortable or unclear with what Kaplan said. But there was probably one question on the entire exam that I was able to answer because I spent time with Schaum's. So I would recommend just Kaplan (know it inside and out) to do well on the DAT. If you have time, refer to other sources. They will make the difference on 1 or 2 questions.

GC- Kaplan book; Examkrackers MCAT Chemistry; and Examkrackers MCAT 1001 Questions in MCAT Chemistry. This was very basic and Kaplan is all you need to know. Not too many calculations...primarily theory. All you need for this section is to know Kaplan inside and out!!! Examkrackers wasn't anything special other than another source for me to refer to if Kaplan didn't explain it well. I would recommend the questions book if you have time...and you really want to blowthis section out of the water.

OC- Kaplan; Schaum's OChem; Examkrackers MCAT Organic Chemistry; EK 1001 Questions in MCAT Organic Chemistry. I thought I actually did better on this section than what my score indicates...but I'm not complaining. This section is very comparable to Kaplan exams, and the flashcards are very helpful. Kaplan's outlines what you need to know very well. Of all the EK books to buy...I would buy the OChem book. It was a little more condensed than Kaplan, but it was another source I could refer to.

RC and QR- I didn't study at all for these sections except for practice exams. I thought the RC was a tad more difficult than Topscore. There is direct word relation and recall...but not directly. Also expect a couple of "The final sentence of this passage could be..." QR...I can't give you an honest assessment. I've always been pretty strong in math.

PAT- The PAT seemed very easy...but my score was a 19. So I misjudged it somewhere. I'm still very happy with the score. But my point is that several people have said that they thought they did better than what their score reflected. It is very similar to TS and Kaplan, but expect a 2-3 point drop from your practice scores.

Again...this is just my assessment from my DAT experience. DAT's vary, and especially in Bio, the subject matter is pretty diverse. So, don't blow off evolution and ecology because my particular test didn't have a lot. As other SDNers have been there for me in the past, I will be here for anybody who has any specific questions or encouragement. I will do my best to answer you questions BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE, so feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the post! I love to hear how everyone else did and I appreciate your comments. They are very encouraging. I especially have a hard time deciding whether to strictly stick with the Kaplan book or to study my textbooks. I hope everyone is right that all you need to know is your Kaplan book inside and out. Great scores and best wishes to you in dental school! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
great scores man :thumbup: , always appreciate some useful advice, best of luck in dental school

Awesome stats! Now you can sit back and relax :thumbup:

Texas is representin, in this here forum

now you just have to decide what location you want to go to school, houston, san antonio, and or dallas

Whats the gpa like, regardless, apply early to TMDSAS and you should get interviews early and then wait till december 1st for acceptances.

Good luck
HD

Good for you! That's fantastic. Those scores will have dental schools smiling at your application :thumbup: apply early and then sit back and relax.. you are in somewhere man!

TX Hopeful said:
Well, I just took the DAT and I thought I would offer my thoughts on the experience to include preparation, resources, and the actual exam since I have taken oodles and oodles of knowledge from this site.

First off...here are my practice exam and actual DAT scores:

Bio---GC---OC---TS---RC---QR---AA---PAT
Barron's A----16---18---19----18---19---22---19----19
Barron's B----17---18---17----18---20---24---19----20
Kaplan BB----20---17---21----20---19---21---20----22
Kaplan CD----19---17---18----18---19---22---19----20
Topscore1---19----19---15---18---21----21---19---21
Topscore2---18----18---18---19---20----20---19---22
Topscore3---18----16---19---18---22----22---19---25

Actual DAT---22---23---20---22---20----22---21---19

So, a with a general analysis you can conclude that the general "3-point" rule is pretty true. I scored about 2-3 points higher on the actual DAT on the sciences.

As for studying...I have not taken a college course, studied, or been in any kind of academic atmosphere for the past 6-1/2 years. I've been in the work force, and I took 3 months off to study for the DAT. I would not recommend a study plan that went beyond 3 months. I was at the point where I was tired of looking at the same stuff over and over again. I studied between 4-7 hours a day.

Bio-
Resources: Kaplan book which I bought on Amazon.com; Schaum's Biology Outline; Campbell's Third Edition; and class notes from when I took Bio in 1994. I didn't see a lot of plant, evolution, or ecology questions on my DAT. I studied primarily from Kaplan, and I think they do a great job of presenting biology (contrary to what a lot of SDNers say). I referred to Schaum's and Campbell's on occasion if I was uncomfortable or unclear with what Kaplan said. But there was probably one question on the entire exam that I was able to answer because I spent time with Schaum's. So I would recommend just Kaplan (know it inside and out) to do well on the DAT. If you have time, refer to other sources. They will make the difference on 1 or 2 questions.

GC- Kaplan book; Examkrackers MCAT Chemistry; and Examkrackers MCAT 1001 Questions in MCAT Chemistry. This was very basic and Kaplan is all you need to know. Not too many calculations...primarily theory. All you need for this section is to know Kaplan inside and out!!! Examkrackers wasn't anything special other than another source for me to refer to if Kaplan didn't explain it well. I would recommend the questions book if you have time...and you really want to blowthis section out of the water.

OC- Kaplan; Schaum's OChem; Examkrackers MCAT Organic Chemistry; EK 1001 Questions in MCAT Organic Chemistry. I thought I actually did better on this section than what my score indicates...but I'm not complaining. This section is very comparable to Kaplan exams, and the flashcards are very helpful. Kaplan's outlines what you need to know very well. Of all the EK books to buy...I would buy the OChem book. It was a little more condensed than Kaplan, but it was another source I could refer to.

RC and QR- I didn't study at all for these sections except for practice exams. I thought the RC was a tad more difficult than Topscore. There is direct word relation and recall...but not directly. Also expect a couple of "The final sentence of this passage could be..." QR...I can't give you an honest assessment. I've always been pretty strong in math.

PAT- The PAT seemed very easy...but my score was a 19. So I misjudged it somewhere. I'm still very happy with the score. But my point is that several people have said that they thought they did better than what their score reflected. It is very similar to TS and Kaplan, but expect a 2-3 point drop from your practice scores.

Again...this is just my assessment from my DAT experience. DAT's vary, and especially in Bio, the subject matter is pretty diverse. So, don't blow off evolution and ecology because my particular test didn't have a lot. As other SDNers have been there for me in the past, I will be here for anybody who has any specific questions or encouragement. I will do my best to answer you questions BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE, so feel free to ask.

CONGRATS !

And thanks so much for the information. It really helps to read!!!

Good luck in dental school !

You probably don't need my praise, but I'll give to you anyway: those are some very nice, consistent scores!! You did very well and every dental school you have applied to / will apply to will sit up and take notice. Congratulations! :thumbup:

Sprgrover said:
You probably don't need my praise, but I'll give to you anyway: those are some very nice, consistent scores!! You did very well and every dental school you have applied to / will apply to will sit up and take notice. Congratulations! :thumbup:

Thanks for the congrats from everybody. There are several contributors on SDN that really make a difference in preparing for the DAT, for applications, interviews, and matriculation. Some names contribute more that others, and we all know who they are. But, the bottom line is that there is no way I could've scored that well if I had never found this website!!!!!!

congratulations on doing a fine job. you now have an even harder challange at your hands and that is deciding where you would like to go. lol.

good job and i am sure you will do just as well in the app cycle.