This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I recently got my DAT score back, and I got a 450 AA and a 400 PAT score. Is this good enough for dental school?? From the ADEA conversion chart pdf, I believe my AA score is a 22 and my PAT score is a 19 on the old scale. I am entering my third year of undergrad but, right now, I have a pretty solid GPA. Should I retake the exam? I’m really stressed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your scores are great and there's no need to retake unless a school specifically recommends it.
A 450 AA falls between the old-scale concordance values for a 21 AA (440) and a 22 AA (460). The current three-digit score of 450 is the official score, and the ADA concordance table is intended to help compare scores across the old and new scoring systems.


If you're applying this cycle, focus on strengthening the rest of your app:


✅ Shadowing — aim for 50+ hours, ideally across general and specialty practices
✅ Clinical experience — work or volunteer in a dental setting (go beyond observing)
✅ Leadership, service, and a strong personal statement


You're in great shape. Now it's about showing who you are beyond the scores.
Best of luck!
– Nancy, Co-Owner of DAT Destroyer
 
Last edited:
Your scores are great and there's no need to retake unless a school specifically recommends it.
A 450 AA and 400 PAT convert to roughly a 22 AA and 19 PAT , strong numbers that are well within range for most dental schools, especially with a solid GPA.


If you're applying this cycle, focus on strengthening the rest of your app:


✅ Shadowing — aim for 50+ hours, ideally across general and specialty practices
✅ Clinical experience — work or volunteer in a dental setting (go beyond observing)
✅ Leadership, service, and a strong personal statement


You're in great shape. Now it's about showing who you are beyond the scores.
Best of luck!
– Nancy, Co-Owner of DAT Destroyer
Thank you so much for this!! I feel very reassured. 🙂
 
Your scores are great and there's no need to retake unless a school specifically recommends it.
A 450 AA and 400 PAT convert to roughly a 22 AA and 19 PAT , strong numbers that are well within range for most dental schools, especially with a solid GPA.


If you're applying this cycle, focus on strengthening the rest of your app:


✅ Shadowing — aim for 50+ hours, ideally across general and specialty practices
✅ Clinical experience — work or volunteer in a dental setting (go beyond observing)
✅ Leadership, service, and a strong personal statement


You're in great shape. Now it's about showing who you are beyond the scores.
Best of luck!
– Nancy, Co-Owner of DAT Destroyer
I'm a little confused. I too got a 450 AA. The DAT conversion score puts that between a 21 (440) and a 22 (460). Which one do we follow?
 
I'm a little confused. I too got a 450 AA. The DAT conversion score puts that between a 21 (440) and a 22 (460). Which one do we follow?
You are correct. Thank you for catching that.

A 450 AA falls between the concordance values for 21 AA (440) and 22 AA (460). The 450 is your official current DAT score; the concordance table is only meant to help compare the new three-digit scoring system with the former scale.

I also corrected my earlier post above so it doesn’t cause any further confusion. The new DAT scoring system has been a learning curve for all of us, especially when comparing it with the former scale.

Hope this helps, Nancy