University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoyden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys!

I know, the topic has been somewhere down there, but it was covered so superficially. As the ranking deadline approaches, many of us have a lot of confusion. Can anybody help with more information for UF ?

Members don't see this ad.

I've written a couple of times on the University of Florida. I'll paste my previous posts below. Since this seems to come up about once a week, perhaps this could be listed in the FAQ?

01-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Can't say enough wonderful things about the program. PD and Chair are reason enough to come here, but there is so much more. Gainesville is a fantastic town, perfect if you have a family and lots of pretty faces if you don't. Beaches only 1-1.5 hours in either direction, Disney and Tampa ~2 hours away. Warm weather year-round. Great simulator, cool research projects, DAILY didactics where the surgery schedule is delayed for the morning conference. Fun and diverse group. Residents are pretty sharp, really know their stuff well. Seem to be given a proper amount of autonomy. Anesthesiology runs the SICU, and the intensivists have earned great respect throughout the hospital for their care of these patients.

At most of my own interviews, someone would invariably note, "Gainesville, huh, they have a great program down there." I'd have to agree.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Opinion from a medical student here...

First off, the quality of the program director, Dr. Mahla, is second to none in the entire hospital. Aside from being a master anesthesiologist, he is known quite well for being a model resident advocate.

The program is (well, used to be even more so) large. This program is known for working hard; this is to be distinguished from malignant, and "hard" is usually described in reference to programs where you are done by 3-4pm each day. The program has always been known for working hard, but averages supposedly 55-60 hours/week. There are also lighter months at the VA and outpatient surgical center mixed in with the main OR months. Three + weekends off per month, solid night float here has been in place for years. Good didactics each morning at 0700 Mon-Thurs, with Case Conference Friday AM. UF invented the patient simulator, and implements it well. Also, Dr. Melker (of the Melker cric kit, another UF invention) hosts annual cadaver labs for emergency surgical airways.

UF seems to be strong in most subspecialties. Neuro is especially strong here. If I had to pick a weak spot, it would be peds since there is no free-standing children's hospital. However, UF is a referral center for diaphragmatic hernias and peds liver transplants, and supposedly most residents get almost all of their required peds cases even before they start their peds rotation. PLENTY of hearts to go around; dedicated TEE electives for CA3. Plenty of liver transplants as well. Anesthesiology runs the SICU, and there are some reports that it will also run the CTICU in the near future. Currently applying for level-1 trauma status.

Gainesville is a typical fun, southern college town. We're about an hour from Jacksonville, about 1.5-2 hours from Orlando, 1.5-2 hours from Tampa, 5 hours south of Atlanta. 1.5 hours to East Coast, 1 hour to West Coast. Beautiful campus, and Shands hospital keeps expanding (new tunnel to the MRI center, new breast cancer center, new NICU all currently underway).

Granted, I've yet to hit the interview trail so I have a hard time comparing. Nonetheless, I'm pretty impressed with the program. I get the idea you'll leave prepared for anything, working what I expect would be average for a solid program, in an above-average environment. Huge alumni network, especially in the southeast.

From OldManDave:
08-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Univ of FL - AWESOME program, cool town (esp if your a single person). The Chair & Chair Emeritus are superb! The weakest part of the program, in my opinion, was the structure of the CBY. Prior to my app year, it had been a Dept of Anesth run internship that was heavy in options & critical care. However, due to some financial issues, that was dropped such that 1/2 of their interns did a surg internship & the other half did an IM one. Other than that, I have nothing but accolades for the program.