LA Hospital loses accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not that this will affect the medical schools in SoCal directly, but if any of you are choosing a school because of their affiliation with this hospital (ie. clinicals, etc), here is something you should be aware of. They'll probably fix the problem, but it may be a headache while they're do that.

Troubled LA Hospital Loses Accreditation
Wed Feb 2, 7:17 AM ET U.S. National - AP

LOS ANGELES - The only public hospital in South Los Angeles has lost its accreditation, meaning it also could lose its ability to train doctors and care for emergency psychiatric and low-income patients.

Martin Luther King/Drew Medical Center in South Los Angeles lost the approval Tuesday after the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations denied a final appeal by Los Angeles County to halt the withdrawal.

The accrediting agency decided in September that the hospital did not meet its standards. The commission repealed its accreditation after an August inspection that found incompetent staff, inconsistent patient care, incomplete medical charts and other problems.

The commission provides credentials for about 4,600 nationwide and King/Drew is only the second hospital in the last year to loss its accreditation.

The county Board of Supervisors in November voted to close the hospital's trauma unit so the hospital can focus on improving overall operations.

The proposed closure drew politicians, celebrities and hundreds of protesters at a rally. They argued that shutting down the facility would leave the poor without medical care in a violence-plagued neighborhood.

The hospital has endured severe problems in recent years, including patient deaths blamed on poor nursing, lawsuits filed by patients who had medical objects left inside them, and hospital mismanagement that has threatened its federal funding.

The federal government later this month is expected to decide whether King/Drew can continue to receive Medicare and Medicaid funds. The government programs provide about $200 million annually to the hospital and are its main source of revenue.

Members don't see this ad.

Code Brown said:
Not that this will affect the medical schools in SoCal directly, but if any of you are choosing a school because of their affiliation with this hospital (ie. clinicals, etc), here is something you should be aware of. They'll probably fix the problem, but it may be a headache while they're do that.

hehe, so this isnt going to affect ucla/DREW in the slightest?

This hospital has always had problems. The epitome of poor management.

Members don't see this ad :)
opinionkitten said:
hehe, so this isnt going to affect ucla/DREW in the slightest?

I saw that too, but didn't want to jump to any conclusions...but now that you pointed it out, I can't be blamed for scaring people ;)

soooo glad i didn't fill out that long, typewriter-necessary secondary...

lulubean said:
soooo glad i didn't fill out that long, typewriter-necessary secondary...

No joke. That thing went straight to the trash when I got it 2 weeks ago. :smuggrin: