WashU PSTP vs BIDMC categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alhkim

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wanted some thoughts by my peers regarding this question--

i have been very fortunate enough to be selected to be part of the PSTP program at WashU, but i also have a significant interest at BIDMC. The WashU PSTP program gives me a guaranteed fellowship there (I plan to do Rheum, not a particularly competative fellowship at this time) and some other financial perks with significant research support. But BIDMC has certainly captured my imagination, also has tremendous research opportunies, and I do like the Boston area more than the St. Louis area.

Ignoring location though, I was wondering from those with more of a research interest what your thoughts are about comparing these two places with regard for pursuing a research focused academic career. Kinda hard to compare, but essentially, the question is PSTP versus being at a Harvard hospital. Thanks in advance....

Al

Members don't see this ad.

in terms of research: there is really nothing that compares to the Harvard/Longwood universe in terms of opportunities, money, talent AND competiveness...
St. Louis certainly has a more then decent reputation as an academic center, don't really know about Rheum, and for itself is much stronger then BIDMC.
Also, be aware, that there is a bit of an attitude towards BIDMC residency from the other two mayor Harvard affiliates. Yet, certainly it would allow you to connect into the Londwood esearch universe.
For which then the above applies. To a certain degree this is also a personal question about style and what you are up to. None of the above is a mistake

GermanIMG, would you mind elaborating on "there is a bit of an attitude towards BIDMC residency from the other two mayor Harvard affiliates"?

Members don't see this ad :)
cubby said:
GermanIMG, would you mind elaborating on "there is a bit of an attitude towards BIDMC residency from the other two mayor Harvard affiliates"?

I'm also curious as to what the other two Harvard places think of BID. I've heard its the "friendly" Harvard program, but does that mean it is inferior to BWH or MGH? Also, when looking at rankings etc that our stat-crazed minds often do, I notice it only says "Harvard University" on teh rankings. Does that include all of the 3 programs as a whole or just MGH? Thanks for the input.
As far as Wash U goes, I've lived in Saint Louis and it's a great area, tons of stuff to do, so don't think its a dead city in the middle of nowhere. It is in the middle of nowhere, but once you live here, you find certain things about it that are addicting and fun. Good luck

I appreciate the comments made thus far--I can say that the Harvard University rankings include all three hospitals, so I do not know what the breakdown is. As for how BW and MGH view BIDMC, I am not sure what that relationship is like, so further comments are welcome on this.

I would also like to redirect this thread toward whether I'm crazy to forgo a guaranteed fellowship and some financial incentives at WashU by going to BIDMC where it is a Harvard hospital but no incentives and I have to apply to fellowships through the traditional route. I understand that Rheum ain't too competitive, but just looking for your thoughts.

it is certainly perceived as the inferior of the three by far.
that said, it's still a very good residency...and the "house of God' of course;-)
yet, especially in terms of fellowship placement outside of the Northeast, the name does not carry as much as MGH or BWH.

Agree. BIDMC is not regarded nearly the same way as MGH and BWH are. The fellowship placement list at BIDMC does not look the same as the other 2 hospitals, but they do have strong matches.

I would certainly go with WashU. Yes, it is in the midwest, which is not nearly as exciting as Boston. But the PSTP at WashU is fantastic if you're serious about beginning an academic career. Sure the fellowship is guaranteed, but Rheum isn't that competitive, so that's not that big a deal. However, considering that you are promised the short track and won't have to apply for fellowship during intern year, given a salary supplement during your research years, and get to work with immunologists like Emil Unanue, Kenneth Murphy, Paul Allen, Robert Schreiber, A Shaw, Herbert Skip Virgin, and Wayne Yokoyama, I don't see how you could go wrong with WashU. Furthermore, BIDMC, though in Longwood, ain't MGH or BW. I too had to think about Harvard vs. WashU PSTP, but chose WashU because it afforded me the best opportunity to start my academic career. Plus, you can hang with Nelly :thumbup:

dude....come on....harvard....listen? can you hear the choir singing??
it's a mecca....washu is so yesterday.... ;) besides, do YOU want to be wearing a red sweatshirt 24/7??

hey PFCortex--

what is a pathologist doing on the IM discussion page? i know you really don't care where i go unless you can get cheap housing for me if you happen to be in boston. anyway, you are letting someone who wears WashU green 24/7 live in your apartment. what's up with that? :cool:

alhkim said:
hey PFCortex--

what is a pathologist doing on the IM discussion page? i know you really don't care where i go unless you can get cheap housing for me if you happen to be in boston. anyway, you are letting someone who wears WashU green 24/7 live in your apartment. what's up with that? :cool:

well, you never know where i may show up....i care where you go :( if you decide to go to harvard, maybe that will sway my decision....besides, i'm sure as an intern you will need to have a pathologist at your every beckon call....

lord knows you'll need a neurologist....30....or 31 of them....